Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

• Please log in to reply
1243 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Researchers create scanner that lets soldiers in the battlefield see through walls

It is one of the biggest challenges for soldiers in combat but at last they will be able to see through walls.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology has developed a radar system allowing them to spot an enemy hiding behind concrete from more than 60ft away.

With the ability to shoot sound waves back and forward through walls, the new device has antennas arranged into two rows, eight receiving them and 13 firing them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...iers-walls.html

article-2051392-0E75039F00000578-260_468

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
I saw that a few days ago. It's pretty cool. It reminds me of when I used to play Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear. Player's can see through walls in this game (0:53):
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
U.N. Security Council Ends Mandate for NATO Military Operations in Libya
http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously Thursday to lift the no-fly zone over Libya on Oct. 31 and end military action to protect civilians, acting swiftly following the death of Muammar Qaddafi and the interim government's declaration of the country's liberation.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon
WEll I have few military vids i've posted on my youtube page, feel free to comment or even subscribe if you want, I tend to post mainly science and sci fi stuff, but from time to time I post few military vids.
It's dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
Iraq not capable of defending itself until 2020, report

http://news.xinhuane...c_131222120.htm

Iraqi defense chief said that his country would not be fully able to defend itself from external threats until at least 2020, a U.S. inspector's report said Monday.

"It will take several more years before Iraq can provide for its external defense without assistance from international partners," the report from the U.S. Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction (SIGIR) quoted Iraqi Army's Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Babakir Zebari, as saying.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
China could build a modern military by 2020, says Pentagon

http://www.guardian....y-2020-pentagon

China appears on track to forge a modern military by 2020, a rapid buildup that could be potentially destabilising to the Asia-Pacific region, the Pentagon has said. Fuelled by its booming economy, China's military growth in the past decade has exceeded most US forecasts. Its aircraft carrier programme, cyberwarfare capabilities and anti-satellite missiles have alarmed neighbours and Washington.

Posted Image

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
I thought this was interesting:

Broad Disapproval of Wars the Norm Since WWII
http://abcnews.go.co...orm-since-wwii/

For every major military conflict since World War II, public support has waned as the combat operationsdragged on.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-15790620

Pentagon tests long-range hypersonic weapon

The US has test-fired a new weapon which can travel at five times the speed of sound, the Pentagon says.

The missile was launched from Hawaii and reached its target on a Pacific atoll 2,300 miles (3,700km) away in less than half an hour.

The Advanced Hypersonic Weapon is part of a programme to build new high-speed long-range missiles.

Its aim is to allow the US military to strike targets anywhere in the world within an hour.

A statement from the Pentagon said the weapon had been launched using a three-stage booster system, which had successfully sent it into the upper atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean.

It reached hypersonic speeds before hitting its target on Kwajalein atoll, part of the Marshall Islands.

New munitions

The term hypersonic is defined as exceeding Mach 5 - five times the speed of sound, or 3,700 mph (6,000km/h).

"The objective of the test is to collect data on hypersonic boost-glide technologies and test range performance for long-range atmospheric flight," said the Pentagon statement.

The US defence department gave no details of the top speed achieved by the weapon.

However, defence analysts Global Security.org say the aim of the programme is to be able to strike a target 3,700 miles (6,000km) away in 35 minutes, with an accuracy of 10m.

They say the Advanced Hypersonic Weapon is one of a number of alternatives the Pentagon is considering to allow a conventional weapon to strike "fleeting targets around the globe faster than today's munitions".

Earlier this year a congressional report said the programme was part of a project to develop a "prompt global strike" system that can deliver long-range weapons anywhere in the world while avoiding flying over third-party nations.

Posted Image
  • ricktheman1234 likes this

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
America is directly and recklessly challenging the international community. The danger posed by America's threatening activities warrants action by the international community. America's actions pose a grave threat to the peace and stability of the world, (replace America with North Korea, and find direct quotes from the US president in 2009 in response to their nuclear test)
  • piyush likes this
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon
I'll do a video soon and post it here, about future weapon systems going as far as 2100, I have rather good knowledge of all things military and military technology so this is a bonus in my quest. Already got my first 25 years done, I'm just looking at next 65 years and stuff that might come up in next 90 years. BTW some of the stuff that might be up with in next 90 years makes my skin crawl.
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

America is directly and recklessly challenging the international community. The danger posed by America's threatening activities warrants action by the international community. America's actions pose a grave threat to the peace and stability of the world,

lol, just imagine the UN trying to impose sanctions on the US...
  • eacao likes this
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon
Defence cuts: Carrier 'fully operational in 2030'

Britain may be without a fully operational aircraft carrier until 2030, according to a report published by the Commons spending watchdog.

The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) says two carriers being built will cost more, offer less military capability and be ready much later than planned.

It says the Royal Navy will be without a carrier until 2020, which may not be fully operational until 2030.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-15928953

Posted Image

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
You know what - I find it strange that there are no submarine drones. I mean underwater navigation may be probably just little tougher than aerial, and modern submarines with nuclear reactors can go around for tens of years without refuelling. Only reason they reach ports is to change crew, refill food (they can even cleanse water and air for human crew). So imagine automated underwater drone, always vigilant, patrolling waters, always ready to jump into action, seldom need for maintenance.
  • eacao and PyroRobot like this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon
The Top Thirty Global Hot Spots in 2012

December 8, 2011

The Council on Foreign Relations' Center for Preventive Action (CPA) has released the fourth annual Preventive Priorities Survey ranking the most plausible conflicts on which the U.S. government should focus in the year ahead.

CPA asked a select group of government officials, academics, and experts to review a list of plausible conflicts that could occur in 2012 and group them into three tiers of relative risk to U.S. national interests.

http://www.cfr.org/c...ots-2012/p26729

Posted Image

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

You know what - I find it strange that there are no submarine drones.
I mean underwater navigation may be probably just little tougher than aerial, and modern submarines with nuclear reactors can go around for tens of years without refuelling. Only reason they reach ports is to change crew, refill food (they can even cleanse water and air for human crew).

So imagine automated underwater drone, always vigilant, patrolling waters, always ready to jump into action, seldom need for maintenance.

Could we reason that it's already being done and we just don't know it yet?
  • eacao and piyush like this
NO!

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Very reasonable, I dunno for how long that unmanned space shuttle was kept secret, but it would be a lot easier with submarine drones.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
On the other hand, doesn't the nuclear capability of subs mean they can't be secret, otherwise you risk a nuclear war.
NO!

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
What do you mean? As long as no one knows about them you risk nothing. :)

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon

Defence cuts: Carrier 'fully operational in 2030'

Britain may be without a fully operational aircraft carrier until 2030, according to a report published by the Commons spending watchdog.

The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) says two carriers being built will cost more, offer less military capability and be ready much later than planned.

It says the Royal Navy will be without a carrier until 2020, which may not be fully operational until 2030.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-15928953

Posted Image

conservatives for you innit. if we let them, they'd cut the armed forces but keep nuclear deterrent, just fo make sure we can splash another 90 billion pounds on this ghastly WMD.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
Are Pilots—or Robots—the Future of Naval Aviation?

http://www.popularme...-naval-aviation

Strike fighters are the teeth of an aircraft carrier, protecting the ship from aerial threats and attacking targets on the ground. The idea that UAVs can perform these missions is heretical to officials who say that a carrier deck is too complex for an unmanned aircraft. But the orthodoxy is changing, and two naval aircraft are now vying for future dominance.

In one corner, there's the Navy's marquee future warplane, the F-35C Lightning II. A product of the Joint Strike Fighter program, the F-35C will be the Navy's first stealth aircraft. At $133 million per airplane, it is the most expensive defense program in the world.

The JSF program started in 1996; five years later, Lockheed Martin beat Boeing for the multibillion-dollar contract. The program is producing three F-35 variants: one for the Navy, another for the Air Force and a short-takeoff and vertical-landing version for the Marine Corps. Each aircraft is now nearing the end of a tortured development—years late and tens of billions of dollars over budget.

In the opposing corner is the X-47B, an experimental airplane with something to prove. Even though it's just a demonstrator, it has folding wings that enable it to fit inside a carrier's hangar, twin weapons bays and the ability to fly at high subsonic speeds. The program started in 2000 as one of two $2 million concept studies, but the UAV is no longer a line-item underdog.

The X-47B is a testbed supporting the $2.5 billion Unmanned Carrier Launched Airborne Surveillance and Strike program. UCLASS may result in an unmanned aircraft that can perform the same missions as the F-35C but would stay in the air longer and be harder to spot on radar.

When he was selected to head the X-47B program in late 2010, Capt. Jaime Engdahl thought the UAVs would be remotely piloted onto the deck with a joystick. "I didn't even realize, until I really started digging, how advanced some of the things that we're doing are," he says. "This is, no kidding, making an air vehicle that's autonomous and as self-sufficient as a naval aviator."

A few years ago, predictions that the F-35C would be the last piloted Navy fighter seemed overly dramatic. But as the X-47B progresses, the prediction is more realistic. The Navy will not deploy the F-35C on a carrier until late 2016. The Pentagon plans to integrate strike UAVs into the fleet by 2018.

Posted Image

• ricktheman1234 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: military, war, military technology, warfare, directed energy weapons, military drones, powered exoskeletons, advanced military units, weapons, railguns

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users