Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Our Genetic Future Is Coming… Faster Than We Think

Biology Genetics Genetic Engineering Synthetic Biology

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

http://www.jamiemetz...g8738jps1vmoy0a

Our species is on the cusp of a revolution that will change every aspect of our lives but we’re hardly talking about it.

After three and a half billion years of evolution, two hundred and fifty thousand years of them as the ass-kicking bipedal hominins we call homo sapiens, we are on the verge of taking control of our evolutionary process unlike never before. This revolution will take hundreds of years to play out but it has already begun.

Sure, we influenced natural selection when we invented farming and modern medicine, but take a human baby from eleven thousand years ago and place him in a modern family and he’ll grow up just like any other kid. Then take a kid from a thousand years from now and place him in the same family. My belief is that the future child brought back to the present will not fit in nearly as well. He will be stronger and smarter with enhanced sensory and other capabilities. And we will have engineered him. We will have engineered us all.

What difference does it make?

tw88

tw88

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Locationeugene oregon

Yup, its defiantly coming. I think it will be a while before average people start selecting embryos. For quite some time its only going to be something that people with a family history of genetic disordered will do. Developed countries will place strong guidelines and regulations on such procedures only being done where there is a history of genetic disease. Eventually though, some scientist will set up shop in a country with out such regulations and the super wealthy will travel abroad to get access to such family planning technology. Once the cost is low enough, countries will face pressure de-regulate the practice so that average people can have access to it. 

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 4,861 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Yup, its defiantly coming. I think it will be a while before average people start selecting embryos. For quite some time its only going to be something that people with a family history of genetic disordered will do. Developed countries will place strong guidelines and regulations on such procedures only being done where there is a history of genetic disease. Eventually though, some scientist will set up shop in a country with out such regulations and the super wealthy will travel abroad to get access to such family planning technology. Once the cost is low enough, countries will face pressure de-regulate the practice so that average people can have access to it. 

Why shouldn't designer babies be available to anyone who can afford them?

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

They will be... to those that can afford them.

tw88

tw88

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Locationeugene oregon

I'm not trying to make an ethical argument as to wither anyone anyone with the money should be able to get a designer baby or not. I'm just making a prediction that such technology will, for a period of time, only be permitted to couples with a family history of genetic disorders. 

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 4,861 posts

I'm not trying to make an ethical argument as to wither anyone anyone with the money should be able to get a designer baby or not. I'm just making a prediction that such technology will, for a period of time, only be permitted to couples with a family history of genetic disorders. 

But why?

Spoiler

Souma

Souma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationEarth

But why?
For the same reasons that prosthetic devices are not avaliabe to everyone right now. The technology Will too focused and too specific for the consumer market. It'll be used to stop children from being born sick or handicapped.

It's not that it'll be denied to consummers it just won't be any sort of practical.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 4,861 posts

But why?
For the same reasons that prosthetic devices are not avaliabe to everyone right now. The technology Will too focused and too specific for the consumer market. It'll be used to stop children from being born sick or handicapped.

It's not that it'll be denied to consummers it just won't be any sort of practical.

Even if it costs something like $10 million (not practical for most people), rich people will still be able to buy it.

Spoiler

Souma

Souma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationEarth

But why?

Even if it costs something like $10 million (not practical for most people), rich people will still be able to buy it.

Lets use Hemophilia as an example because almost everyone knows what that is. Nobody would pay for to specify that their child not have hemophilia if nobody in their family has. It's just a genetic disorder that doesn't run in their line.

before all encompassing genetic fixes are around there will be specific fixes. Theses specific fixes will cure things like hemophilia. The only people that would take advantage of that are people with a history of it in their family. Its not a matter of money, it's a matter of practicality. Why pay to fix something that has no chance of being there?

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 4,861 posts

But why?

Lets use Hemophilia as an example because almost everyone knows what that is. Nobody would pay for to specify that their child not have hemophilia if nobody in their family has. It's just a genetic disorder that doesn't run in their line.

before all encompassing genetic fixes are around there will be specific fixes. Theses specific fixes will cure things like hemophilia. The only people that would take advantage of that are people with a history of it in their family. Its not a matter of money, it's a matter of practicality. Why pay to fix something that has no chance of being there?

Ah, I see. I thought you were talking more about controlling physical features and intelligence than getting rid of genetic diseases.

Spoiler

Souma

Souma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationEarth

Ah, I see. I thought you were talking more about controlling physical features and intelligence than getting rid of genetic diseases.

Yeah, when those things happen i'll agree with you, I don't see any way that the rich wouldn't take advantage of those choices.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

sasuke2490

sasuke2490

veteran gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

it would take awhile before it gets to that point and by then we will hopefully have bci

https://www.instagc.com/scorch9722

Use my link for free steam wallet codes if you want

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Biology, Genetics, Genetic Engineering, Synthetic Biology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users