Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Drones & UAVs News and Discussions

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

http://www.futuretim...ing-operations/

The above story should have been posted in this thread in the first place.  Old habits die hard and I am use to a forum where many different threads were started involving the same theme.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Drone shooting: US home-owner faces charges

A man in the US has shot down a drone hovering over his back garden.

William Meredith, from Hillview, Kentucky, was subsequently arrested by police.

[...]

Mr Meredith explained that the drone was hovering above his neighbourhood. When it moved over his property, he shot it down.

Three shots from his Benelli short-barrel shotgun took the craft out of the sky.

"I went to my safe, retrieved my shotgun, went back out," he said. "I felt that I was well within my rights as an American citizen to defend my property."

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-33735048

This is going to be a very interesting debate over the next few years.  I have a feeling that personal drone use will eventually be banned, but commercial drone use will be legalized but regulated.

The only thing we ever want is more

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,174 posts

Yes, both the story of the property owner shooting down a drone and the story of drones interfering with fire fighting efforts point to the need for some sensible regulation.  It should both allow businesses to make maximum use of drones while protecting basic safety and privacy concerns.  Not an easy needle too thread, but something that will need to be done out of necessity.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

• Ghostreaper likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Sony Drone prototype can fly 106 MPH and stay in the air for two hours straight

Sony this past year partnered up with a Japanese robotics company called ZMP to establish a new drone company called Aerosense. While the joint partnership understandably raised a few eyebrows at first, Sony believes that it can leverage its expertise in camera and communications technologies to make an impact in the burgeoning drone market.
On Monday, Sony released video footage of a drone prototype borne out of its relationship with ZMP. Suffice it to say, this isn’t your everyday $150 Quadcopter. And trust us when we say that that’s a good thing.
For starters, the drone looks like, well, it looks exactly like a miniature airplane. Not to worry, though, the drone can still take off and land vertically like any other drone. While some might call the design unoriginal, I think it’s a welcome departure from all of the lookalike drones currently gracing the skies.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The First State To Legalize Armed Drones for Cops, Thanks to a Lobbyist

It is now legal for law enforcement in North Dakota to fly drones armed with everything from Tasers to tear gas thanks to a last-minute push by a pro-police lobbyist

It is now legal for law enforcement in North Dakota to fly drones armed with everything from Tasers to tear gas thanks to a last-minute push by a pro-police lobbyist.
With all the concern over the militarization of police in the past year, no one noticed that the state became the first in the union to allow police to equip drones with “less than lethal” weapons. House Bill 1328 wasn’t drafted that way, but then a lobbyist representing law enforcement—tight with a booming drone industry—got his hands on it.
The bill’s stated intent was to require police to obtain a search warrant from a judge in order to use a drone to search for criminal evidence. In fact, the original draft of Representative Rick Becker’s bill would have banned all weapons on police drones.
Then Bruce Burkett of the North Dakota Peace Officer’s Association was allowed by the state house committee to amend HB 1328 and limit the prohibition only to lethal weapons. “Less than lethal” weapons like rubber bullets, pepper spray, tear gas, sound cannons, and Tasers are therefore permitted on police drones.
Becker, the bill’s Republican sponsor, said he had to live with it.
“This is one I’m not in full agreement with. I wish it was any weapon,” he said at a hearing in March. “In my opinion there should be a nice, red line: Drones should not be weaponized. Period.”

48020566.cached.jpg
Photo Illustration by Dair Massey/The Daily Beast

• nomad likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Watch these drones autonomously build a rope bridge capable of withstanding human weight

One of the big selling points of drones is that they can get to areas that aren't exactly safe or accessible by humans. That's why watching quadrocopters assembling a rope bridge that's sturdy enough for a person to walk across is so damned awesome -- it immediately calls to mind a real-world use scenario that probably all of us can relate to. The video below was filmed at RTH Zurich Flying Machine Arena in Switzerland, and, according to the YouTube description, aside from the scaffolding on either side of the bridge, the structure is "entirely realized by flying machines." Every knot and braid in the 7.4 meter (just over 24 feet) bridge was tied by the UAVs using Dyneema rope. AsRobohub tells it, the material has a low weight-to-strength ratio that makes it pretty great for aerial construction uses.
That isn't the whole story, though. Before the first ropes are wrapped, the room in question is outfitted with motion capture devices that offer positional measurements that feed back into the custom-made drones. The researchers involved say that this experiment "acts as a demonstrator" and is the first effort showing that diminutive air-borne drones are able to build load-bearing structures at full scale. No, you can't drive a tank over this, but the bridge is definitely more useful than drone-delivered mistletoe.

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Drones Will Deliver Your Pizza, And Much Much More

Drones will deliver your pizza in the future. That was one of the tastiest takeaways from TechCrunch writer Frederic Lardinois‘ interview with Helen Greiner, the founder of drone maker CyPhy Works, at TechCrunch Disrupt San Francisco today.
Ok, drones delivering pizza, or any other kind of goods, isn’t necessary a new concept — Amazon is among the many testing autonomous delivery vehicles — but Greiner, who graduated MIT and spent 18 years with her first company, robotics pioneer iRobot, believes it really isn’t far away.
“From a technical point of view, we can do it, [but] it will take regulatory and cultural changes,” she said. “The FAA is right to not allow it today, but more experimentation would be great for the community. [The FAA] has signaled they are open to changing the rules if we can prove it is safe.”
Greiner has an interesting take on exactly what our future robotic couriers will look like. That’s because CyPhy Works newest drone has a very different design to the rest of the market. (And it’s a fairly crowded and competitive market.)

frederic-lardinois-helen-greiner-cyphy-w

• GenX likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

UK firms develop drone-freezing ray

8 October 2015

Three British companies have created a device to deter drones from entering sensitive areas by freezing them in mid-flight.

The Anti-UAV Defense System (Auds) works by covertly jamming a drone's signal, making it unresponsive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-34475158

_85972871_auds2.jpg

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,174 posts

^^ You stole my thunder.

http://www.engadget....th-radio-waves/

Battelle has developed the DroneDefender, a shoulder-mounted rifle that knocks UAVs offline with a barrage of radio waves.

Screen+Shot+2015-10-14+at+3.28.00+PM.png

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

Zano mini-drone project shut down by Torquing

The beleaguered Zano mini-drone project, which was Europe's most successful Kickstarter idea, has been shut down by the company behind it.

Torquing Group released a statement to backers of the project, saying it had decided to pursue a "creditors' voluntary liquidation".

The project was known to be in trouble, despite having raised over £2m.

Creditors will be contacted by an insolvency practitioner, according to a message sent to them by Torquing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-34858171

_86626701_ff861eeb-ce94-43b7-9a43-b30b5a

• Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The U.K. Will Spend $6 Million on Drones to Create the First 'Self-Repairing City'

In mid-October, the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), a non-departmental government body, granted the University of Leeds $6.4 million to develop small robots that are capable of identifying and repairing damaged street lights and utility pipes as well as filling potholes. The idea is to create a repair system that won't require the use of large machinery that disrupts traffic and city operations. 
Three different types of repair drones are planned. "Perch and Repair" drones would perch "like birds" on elevated structures to perform maintenance on things like street lights and power line transformers. "Perceive and Patch" drones would autonomously scan the streets for damage and fill potholes. And "Fire and Forget" drones would be deployed inside utility pipes to report damage and perform repairs.
Of course, the grant money is for research to develop these technologies, and how exactly the drones will carry out these maintenance tasks is for the moment unclear. Significant steps have been taken in past years to use drones in construction projects. The technology for aerial mapping and surveying is already well developed, so identifying areas that need maintenance shouldn't be a problem.
A bigger issue is overcoming the payload limitations of drones. For a drone to fix a pothole, it must be able to transport heavy construction materials such as cement or asphalt. While there are efforts to create drones that can carry more weight without being too cumbersome and clumsy themselves, perhaps the more realistic solution is to use multiple drones flying in formation to carry heavy payloads, as Gizmag reported in March.
The Aerial Robotics Cooperative Assembly System is working on just that—developing a "cooperative free-flying robot system for assembly and structure construction."

gallery-1446581269-gettyimages-469161798

A drone in flight over Lille in northern France.
Getty Phillippe Huguen/AFP

• eacao and Ghostreaper like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

BitDrones: Canadian Researchers Unveil Self-Levitating Displays

Researchers at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, have presented BitDrones, a platform for the construction of interactive 3D displays that utilize quadcopters as self-levitating tangible building blocks.
The BitDrones system allows users to explore virtual 3D information by interacting with physical self-levitating building blocks, according to Prof Roel Vertegaal of Queen’s University’s Human Media Lab.

“BitDrones brings flying programmable matter, such as featured in the futuristic Disney movie Big Hero 6, closer to reality,” Prof Vertegaal said. “It is a first step towards allowing people to interact with virtual 3D objects as real physical objects.”

He and his colleagues created three types of BitDrones, each representing self-levitating displays of distinct resolutions:

(i) PixelDrones are equipped with one LED and a small dot matrix display;

(ii) ShapeDrones are augmented with a light-weight mesh and a 3D printed geometric frame, and serve as building blocks for complex 3D models;

(iii) DisplayDrones are fitted with a curved flexible high resolution touchscreen, a forward-facing video camera and Android smartphone board.

All three types are equipped with reflective markers, allowing them to be individually tracked and positioned in real time via motion capture technology.

215-BitDrones.jpg
BitDrones: user interacting with group of ShapeDrones. Image credit: Queen’s University.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,174 posts

A bigger issue is overcoming the payload limitations of drones. For a drone to fix a pothole, it must be able to transport heavy construction materials such as cement or asphalt.

As a person who in his past actually oversaw the financial aspects of filling a pothole or two, I am not quite sure what the point of this would be.  Wouldn't it be far easier to transport materials overland? 

Even if you incorporated drones to do the actual work, couldn't they just work with pre-positioned resources? 

Or better yet, just use on the ground robots working with pre-positioned materials?

I can envision real time mapping tied in with robotically navigated dump trucks tied in with robots ( or drones with relatively limited weight carrying capacity) to do highly automated maintenance. You could also use robots for traffic control.  This would be an especially nice breakthrough as human work is a particularly dangerous aspect of road maintenance.  The closer to onrushing traffic, the more dangerous the work. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Watch 100 Drones Fly in Light Show to Set New Guinness World Record

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Amazon Prime Air: Drones to carry 5lb packages over 10 miles in 30 minutes

"Such drones will soon be "as normal as seeing a delivery truck."

In an interview with Yahoo News, Amazon has revealed a little more about its forthcoming drone-based delivery system. Paul Misener, Amazon’s vice president for global public policy, said that the company has very specific targets for "Prime Air."

"So Prime Air is a future delivery service that will get packages to customers within 30 minutes of them ordering it online at Amazon.com," he told Yahoo News. "The goals we’ve set for ourselves are: The range has to be over 10 miles. These things will weigh about 55 pounds each, but they’ll be able to deliver parcels that weigh up to five pounds. It turns out that the vast majority of the things we sell at Amazon weigh less than five pounds."

prime-air_04-640x410.jpg
Amazon

• eacao likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,174 posts

Dutch Police Are Training Eagles to Take Down Drones

Link:

http://www.iflscienc...ake-down-drones

droneeagle.PNG?itok=N_qMqpGT

I prefer the anti-drone technologies discussed earlier in this thread. I fear that counter measures might be take that would endanger the eagles.  Still, I thought this (see link provided) was an interesting take on the security issue.

• wjfox and Yuli Ban like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users