Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Net Neutrality

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

http://www.nytimes.c...ility.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission voted on Thursday to regulate broadband Internet service as a public utility, a milestone in regulating high-speed Internet service into American homes.

Tom Wheeler, the commission chairman, said the F.C.C. was using “all the tools in our toolbox to protect innovators and consumers” and preserve the Internet’s role as a “core of free expression and democratic principles.”

Woohoo! :D

• wjfox, Yuli Ban, PrimordialBeing and 3 others like this

What difference does it make?

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

DECISIVE VICTORY.  :yahoo: 

It's not over though, there will always be groups trying to find ways around this or getting their people to infiltrate the ranks and pass something that negates this development. Gotta stay vigilant.

• wjfox, Ru1138 and Yuli Ban like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

so-beautiful.gif

59240410.jpg

• joe00uk likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

joe00uk

joe00uk

Marxist-Leninist Futurist ☭

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationUK

5bc935da64f7ad332ee135788db3a916764a710dFridayDance.jpg

• Ru1138 likes this

"The Proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains." - Karl Marx
"A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentleso temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another."  - Mao Zedong

joe00uk

joe00uk

Marxist-Leninist Futurist ☭

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationUK

931ba4c0852809cec310b10657f4bbfa27fd3622

• Ru1138, caltrek and Infinite like this

"The Proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains." - Karl Marx
"A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentleso temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another."  - Mao Zedong

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

And what we must do to defend our Internet

Warrior-Wallpaper1.jpg

EDIT: Aaaaaa~aaand, as expected... the whining begins.

wiKLGJp.png

• Ru1138 and joe00uk like this

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

EDIT: Aaaaaa~aaand, as expected... the whining begins.
wiKLGJp.png

Plus there are a lot of Libertarians and ancaps on Reddit telling everybody that Net Neutrality is a bad thing.

What difference does it make?

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Plus there are a lot of Libertarians and ancaps on Reddit telling everybody that Net Neutrality is a bad thing.

It..just amazes me the ignorance surrounding what it really is. Last week I overheard on Fox News (my relative is a big Fox News watcher) blaring out a new headline "Obama administration to take over the largest sector of the economy, the internet". Just...why? Crap like that just pushes my tolerance too far sometimes. 

• wjfox and Ru1138 like this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
Fear sells.

If it makes you feel any better, this is what it took to get one of my FOX loving relatives to start questioning if FOX was fearmongering.
  • Ru1138, Cody930, caltrek and 1 other like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon

European Parliament votes against net neutrality amendments

By Chris Baraniuk
Technology reporter

53 minutes ago

The European Parliament has voted against a set of rules intended to safeguard "net neutrality" in the EU.

A series of amendments to a regulation on how internet traffic is managed in Europe were all rejected by MEPs.

Proponents of net neutrality, who demand that web traffic be treated equally by networks, have already criticised the move.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-34649067

_86349099_eup.jpg

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

That sounds bad but I'm not sure since it seems to be the opposite of how it was in the US

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon

Time Is Running Out to Save Net Neutrality in Europe

July 17, 2016

Europe is running out of time to protect net neutrality.

One month after a US federal court upheld strong rules protecting net neutrality—the principle that all content on the internet should be equally accessible—the battle over how to protect the internet’s open, freewheeling nature has shifted to Europe.

A coalition of prominent open internet advocates, including Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the World Wide Web, is mounting a last-ditch campaign urging European officials to stand up to the telecom industry and strengthen the EU’s net neutrality policy before the bloc’s regulatory public consultation period ends on Monday.

“Network neutrality for hundreds of millions of Europeans is within our grasp,” Berners-Lee wrote in an open letter to European regulators. The letter was also signed by Harvard law professor Lawrence Lessig and Stanford law professor Barbara van Schewick, both prominent tech policy experts and longtime net neutrality crusaders.

“Securing this is essential to preserve the open internet as a driver for economic growth and social progress,” the trio wrote. “But the public needs to tell regulators now to strengthen safeguards, and not cave in to telecommunications carriers’ manipulative tactics.”

http://motherboard.v...europe-deadline

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon

What an utter piece of shit this guy Ajit Pai is.

---

FCC plan would give Internet providers power to choose the sites customers see and use

November 21 at 1:18 PM

Federal regulators unveiled a plan Tuesday that would give Internet providers broad powers to determine what websites and online services their customers can see and use, and at what cost.

The move sets the stage for a crucial vote next month at the Federal Communications Commission that could reshape the entire digital ecosystem. The FCC’s Republican chairman, Ajit Pai, has made undoing the government's net neutrality rules one of his top priorities, and Tuesday's move hands a win to broadband companies such as AT&T, Verizon and Comcast.

Pai is taking aim at regulations that were approved two years ago under a Democratic presidency and that sought to make sure all Internet content, whether from big or small companies, would be treated equally by Internet providers.

The decision will be put to a vote at the agency's Dec. 14 meeting in Washington. It is expected to pass, with Republicans controlling three of the commission's five seats.

In a news release, Pai said his proposal would prevent the government from “micromanaging the Internet.” Under the new rules, he said, the FCC would “simply require Internet service providers to be transparent about their practices.”

https://www.washingt...m=.ba823d904d95

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

I hope we will end these senseless regulations and make internet great again. The only thing that would be better is if we end the ISP monopolies too. And lo! that is about to end with all the drone/balloon/space internet projects underway.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon

I hope we will end these senseless regulations and make internet great again. The only thing that would be better is if we end the ISP monopolies too. And lo! that is about to end with all the drone/balloon/space internet projects underway.

You don't understand net neutrality.

• Outlook likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,766 posts

Jakob wants to give everything to the global corporations and to hell with freedom for the people. Pretty much destroying the very concept of the internet for pure greed.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc
It's going to pass and there's nothing to stop it.hate to be cynical but that's how I roll. Transgender people got banned for The military, remember? It might as well take about months, years, or even decades before everything goes back on the train to progress.

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc

bump

Ewolf20

Ewolf20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationColumbia,sc

nobody's gonna cheer me up, eh? 

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWherever Alien Observer by Grouper could be played.
There's an analogy I read a while ago that may explain net neutrality better. Imagine a company that owns roads, a large chunk of them so that if you ever want to drive on those roads, you have pay a subscription. The government places a regulation that ensures this company can't discriminate or selectively increase the price for trying to access a building or place. For example, lets say you want to go to a political rally to support your beliefs, or you want to go to a preferred company that sells something the way you like it, then the road company should have no business interfering with what the individual can legally want. However if this regulation goes kaput, they can restrict certain sections of their roads behind paywalls, and leave out lesser known sections. If that political rally goes against what they like, then they could increase the price to get there by an amount nobody could afford, or if that company you like isn't paying extra to the road company, then its price to get there will increase too.

The ISPs are controlling a massive marketplace within a marketplace and their status as a corporation shouldn't change the fact that equal and fair treatment of those who enter the marketplace is a must in order for those busineses to flourish according to capitalist principles.

The nature of ISPs right now allow their monopolistic/oligarchal nature. Building internet lines is extremely expensive, and so it's not like new companies are willing to place a risk in entering that market, and if they do they'll have to do with lobbying from incumbant corporations. Sattelite internet is reliant on clear skies and certain factors that make it not as stable as cable often is. Also they're more expensive than other options and are datacapped.
  • wjfox, eacao, Cody930 and 1 other like this
Everything is predefined.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users