Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Past Timeline

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
That is very similar to the one I initially suggested, and I think it would look excellent as the site's logo.
  • ddmkm122 likes this

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationSnodland, Kent, UK

I know, but since it is free, I posted it anyway.

• ddmkm122 likes this

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I was saying that as a positive, lol! Wasn't trying to criticise you. ;)
  • ddmkm122 likes this

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I had a dream last night where Past Timeline had been launched and it was the most epic website ever! Hope it turns out as good as it was in my dream, lol! ;)
  • wjfox, Ru1138, StanleyAlexander and 3 others like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

So does anyone have any real information on non-European history, circa 800-1700?

• ddmkm122 likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
^Wikipedia
  • ddmkm122 likes this

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
I was saying that as a positive, lol! Wasn't trying to criticise you. ;)

Aww no, I'd realised. I was merely pointing it out as it was free and all of these costs add up and so, if wjfox liked it, then he could use it without spending on it.

• ddmkm122 likes this

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Yes, it was a good find. That font is what I nearly always think of when I think of old text.
  • ddmkm122 likes this

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

It does make good 'old' text. In primary school, I remember that everybody used to use similar fonts in ICT, as they looked like they were from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Edited by Thaizasaskand, 12 August 2013 - 09:56 AM.

• ddmkm122 likes this

davtk8

davtk8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

How's the development of PastTimeline.net?

• FutureOfToday and ddmkm122 like this

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
There are quite a few members of my family who have built websites, most of them smaller than this project. I think it will probably be some time next year when the site launches, it's going to take a lot of work gathering the information alone.
  • ddmkm122 likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

Still working on the design/layout. I hope to invite several others to join Mock Flow this weekend, so hopefully we can make some progress.

• ddmkm122 likes this

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Thanks for the update! Good to hear that development is being done. :D
  • ddmkm122 likes this

davtk8

davtk8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Any updates?

• ddmkm122 likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'm working on a redesign for FT, which I'll then use as a template for PT.

I honestly don't know how long it's going to take... it could be a few weeks, or a few months, but it's definitely 100% going to happen.

Once the basic site is ready, the updates will come thick and fast. I have absolutely tons of content to use for PastTimeline.

Sorry it can't happen sooner, but I have a full-time job outside this - so my free time is obviously limited. Maybe in a couple of years, I'll be in a position where I'm able to work on both websites full-time.

• ddmkm122 likes this

Troodon

Troodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Sounds very awesome! I think the timeline should start in the year 1999 (where the FT leaves off) and extend all the way back to the beginning of the universe, billions and billions of years ago. The Big Bang, beginning of life, dinosaurs, human evolution, etc. should all be included. Then, Ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece, etc. Then, when we get to the Middle Ages, the Plague in Europe should definitely be included. Then, the expansion of the British Empire, the creation of the United States, the American Civil War, WWI, WWII, the creation of the United Nations, and the Cold War should be included. And yes, I do also agree that the history of non-Western cultures should be included, such as the Pre-Columbian Americas, Eastern Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, Australia and New Zealand (before European contact) etc.
  • wjfox and ddmkm122 like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,174 posts

So does anyone have any real information on non-European history, circa 800-1700?

As it happens, I have been working on such timelines recently.  For the sake of clarity, I looked at Asia and Latin America separately. Not in any way comprehensive, but some of the highlights.

[font="'times new roman';"]  900 AD[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Reign of the Liao-dynasty in northern China – 907 to 1125 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]1000 AD[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"].[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]1100 AD[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Reign of the southern Song dynasty – 1127 to 1279 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]1200 AD[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Monguls under Genghis Khan conquer north China – 1211 to 1216 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Genghis Khan[/font] dies and is succeeded by Ogdai Khan – 1227 A.D.

[font="'times new roman';"]The Gateless Gate[/font] (Mandarin. Wúménguān, Japanese. Mumonkan) is a collection of 48 Chan (Zen) koans compiled in the early 13th century by the Chinese Zen master Wumen Hui-k'ai (1183–1260) (Japanese: Mumon Ekai). Wumen's preface indicates that the volume was published in 1228 A.D

[font="'times new roman';"]Kublai Khan[/font][font="'times new roman';"] rules in China and founds the [/font][font="'times new roman';"]Yuan Dynasty[/font][font="'times new roman';"] (Mongol rule) 1260 -1294 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Marco Polo travels to China – 1269 – 1293 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]1300 AD[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]The Hongwu Emperor, also known by his given name Zhu Yuanzhang and his [/font][font="'times new roman';"]temple name[/font][font="'times new roman';"] Ming Taizu, becomes the founder and first emperor of the [/font][font="'times new roman';"]Ming Dynasty[/font][font="'times new roman';"] of China – 1328 A.D..[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]The Tun-wu ju-tao yao-men lun, a Buddhist treatise on sudden enlightenment, first appears – 1373 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]1400 AD[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Reign of Zhu Di[/font], third emperor of the Ming Dynasty in China, - 1402 to 1424

[font="'times new roman';"]1500 AD[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Baber defeats the Sultan of Delhi at Panipat in India – 1525 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Akbar, grandson of Baber, subjugates India as far as Berar and rules from 1556 to 1605 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]1600 AD[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"](See also H.G. Wells)[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Jehangin succeeds Akbar in India – 1605 to 1627 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Shah Jehan succeeds Jehangin in India. Oversees construction of the Taj Mahal – 1628 to 1658 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]The Manchus capture Beijing and impose the rule of the Ching dynasty on China – 1644 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Reign of Emperor K’ang-Sisi in China who conquers Taiwan and Mongolia – 1661 to 1722 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Aurungzeb succeeds Shah Jehan and is master of practically all of the India peninsula – 1658 to 1707 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"](See also Harrison Salisbury)[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Russia conquers the village of Albasin precipitating a battle between Russian and Chinese troops in which Russia prevails – 1650 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Treaty signed between Russia and China establishing boundaries between the two countries – August 27, 1689 A.D [/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]1700 AD[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Reign of Emperor Yung-cheng in China. Under his rule, Christianity is outlawed – 1722 to 1735 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]The Treaty of Kyakhta is ratified between China and Russia establishing Nerchinsk and Kyakhta as centers of trade between the two countries (See Salisbury) – June 14, 1728 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Reign of Emperor Hung-li in China – 1735 to 1796 A.D. / 1799 A.D.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]British occupy vast areas of India – 1775 to 1818 A.D.[/font]

Written Sources:

[font="'times new roman';"]Zen Buddhism: A History, Heinrich Dumoulin[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]Essential Visual History of the World, National Geographic[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]War Between Russia and China, Harrison E. Salisbury[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"]History of the World, H.G. Wells.[/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]LATIN AMERICA[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]900 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Late Mayan Empire[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]1100 A.D[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Invasion by nomadic warriors ends Toltec Empire in Central Mexico [/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]1200 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Aztec migration into Central Mexico[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]1300 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Aztecs found Tenochtitlán – circa 1325 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]1400 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]The Araucanians arrive in Chile from either the Argentine pampas or from southern Brazil – circa 1400 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Alliance of three Aztec city-states: 1)  Tenochtitlán, 2) Texoco, and 3) Tlacopán[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Chimú Empire on the Coast of Peru[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Construction of Machu Picchu[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Reign of Túpac Yupanqui; campaigns to Ecuador and Chile 1471 – 1493 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]1500 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Portugese under Cabral land on coast of Brazil – 1500 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Reign of Moctezuma II in what is now Mexico – 1502 – 1520 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Vasco Nuñez de Balboa leads expedition that crosses the isthmus of Central America and “discovers” the Pacific – 1513 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Hernado Cortes lands in Mexico – 1519 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Spanish conquer and destroy Tenochtitlán – 1520/1521 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Santiago de los Caballeros is founded in Guatemala – 1524 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Spanish, initially led by Francisco Pizzaro, conquer Inca Empire – 1531 – 1572 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Francisco Pizzaro founds the city of Lima in Peru – 1535 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Pedro de Alvarado, by putting down the last revolt of the Indian chief Lempira, restores peace in 1536 and founds the city of Villa (today San Pedro Sula) in Honduras – 1536 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]The city of Asuncion is established in Paraguay – 1536 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Jimenez de Quesada founded the future capital of Columbia, Santa Fe de Bogota – 1538 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]The city of Sucre in Bolivia is established – 1538 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]African slaves are introduced in Brazil – 1538 A.D. [/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Carracas Venezuela is settled – 1567 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Audiencia de Guatemala (Guatemala Court of Justice) is created  - 1570 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Earthquake destroys Santiago de los Caballeros in Guatemala – 1524 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Jesuits arrive in central Mexico – 1572 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]1600 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Cattle are introduced beyond the Uruguay River – 1611 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]The Dutch attack and occupy northeast Brazil 1624 – 1654 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]England seizes Jamaica from Spain – 1655 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Gold found in Brazil leads to settlement of the inland – 1693 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Tayasal becomes the last Maya city to be conquered – 1697 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]1700 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Gil de Avila and Andres Nuño conquer Nicaragua from Panama – 1722 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]The Crown of Spain expels all members of the Society of Jesus (also known as Jesuits) from the colonies – 1767 A.D.[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Written Sources:[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Essential Visual History of the World, National Geographic[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"][font="'times new roman';"]Larousse Encyclopedia of World Geography[/font][/font]

[font="'times new roman';"] [/font]

The Larousse Encyclopedia that I used is old and may be out of print and not in most libraries.  You can verify most of this through Wikipedia.

Edited by caltrek, 05 October 2013 - 08:18 PM.

• ddmkm122 likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBerlin

I really like the idea as well, although I think the current timeline (about the future, I mean) will stay my favourite. I've always liked both the past and the future, but while I cannot live in the past (as cool as it would be to do a short 'vacation' to see how things were a few hundred years ago etc. and then come back to now), I can look forward to the things still to come :)

I know it is quite a pile of work, but if non-Western culture is included, the timeline would be a more comprehensive record of human history. I hate how in school, you learn next to nothing about history outside of our own little box. It's mostly Europe, a bit of America and the tidbits that affected our continent the most in the past centuries (mostly British Empire & colonies). I haven't heard much about Asian history and the like, and it's a real pity.

I'm going to wait eagerly for the site to go online - of course, patiently too ;) Don't let anyone (that inlcudes yourself, Will^^) pressure and rush you. It's done when it's done :)

Edited by Lily, 05 October 2013 - 08:28 PM.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I'd quite like to see a larger "history" section on the forums as well with the introduction of Past Timeline. The forums could even be renamed 'Timeline Forums' or something like that to cover both the future and the past. Development sounds very exciting, and I look forward to seeing this.

ddmkm122

ddmkm122

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York, The United States Of America.

I am hoping to see it improved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users