Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Past Timeline

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

Call me if you need other people to write articles, you can even do an outline of what you want in a particular article. I am heavily interested in history as well.

• wjfox and ddmkm122 like this

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

Call me if you need other people to write articles, you can even do an outline of what you want in a particular article. I am heavily interested in history as well.

Ditto.  I'd love to help.

• ddmkm122 likes this
Humanity's destiny is infinity

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
Me three! I may be young, but I am still able to help! And besides, with more people on board, the quicker everything would be done.
  • ddmkm122 likes this
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Yep, count me in on that as well. I'd be happy to do some research in particular, gathering sources and whatnot. :)
  • ddmkm122 likes this

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I have an idea, why don't you lay out every topic you want to put in the timeline and we can all write them.  You could choose the best ones, or we could all just volunteer to write some. 

You'd be free to make any changes to them or omit any submissions, but that would cut the work load quite a bit for you.

• wjfox, StanleyAlexander, TheAsianGuy_LOL and 2 others like this

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

I feel trying to write a comprehensive history timeline alone will be an exercise in futility. 

• ddmkm122 likes this

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

I have an idea, why don't you lay out every topic you want to put in the timeline and we can all write them.  You could choose the best ones, or we could all just volunteer to write some.  You'd be free to make any changes to them or omit any submissions, but that would cut the work load quite a bit for you.

That seems like it'd be the best way to go about things. Although, I don't think we should have someone from a country wrote their country's history, as it could end up being biased. For example, I think that if were to write about my country's history, it would end up being biased, unfortunately.
  • ddmkm122 likes this
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

A native would have the most knowledge.  I know that I don't have much understanding of other countries.  I couldn't write any Irish history, but I know a lot of American History. 

• ddmkm122 likes this

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

The hardest part of using multiple writers wouldn't be to avoid national bias, it would be reconciling all the different voices.  One cool thing about Future Timeline is its scientific/historical tone, appreciative and honest regarding cultural implications, remaining consistent regardless of subject matter.  It will be difficult to achieve the same kind of unified perspective with many different writers of varying nationalities.  Each writer would have to consciously make an effort to mirror the tone of FT.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

The hardest part of using multiple writers wouldn't be to avoid national bias, it would be reconciling all the different voices.  One cool thing about Future Timeline is its scientific/historical tone, appreciative and honest regarding cultural implications, remaining consistent regardless of subject matter.  It will be difficult to achieve the same kind of unified perspective with many different writers of varying nationalities.  Each writer would have to consciously make an effort to mirror the tone of FT.

Or articles could simply be peer reviewed by someone in another country before it is published.

• ddmkm122 likes this

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Or articles could simply be peer reviewed by someone in another country before it is published.

Peer review by someone in a different country would solve some problems but would not be well suited to the task of making the whole Past Timeline read as a continuous, consistent piece.  Each editor has a voice and perspective, just as each writer does.

I like SG1's idea, where Will can act as editor and design a skeleton of events he wants the timeline to focus on, delegate them to whoever's willing to help, and provide direction for the writers to emulate the voice he uses in writing predictions for FT.

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

A native would have the most knowledge.  I know that I don't have much understanding of other countries.  I couldn't write any Irish history, but I know a lot of American History.

I suppose more knowledge on the topic is the yin to bias's yang. And if I do end up helping, just for the record, I'll be as unbiased as can be.
  • ddmkm122 likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted Image

• SG-1, Cody930, StanleyAlexander and 4 others like this

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Reminds me of the stone ages for some reason.  Nice!

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Looks great! Very consistent with the FT logo as well, which is good. Excellent job! :D

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

AWESOME.  Can't wait!

Smeargle

Smeargle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationLuckiest city in the UK
Surely it would make more sense if the arrows pointed left instead of right. Because the logo for here has the arrows pointing right, and if you assume that means they're pointing forwards, as in going forwards into the future, then the arrows on the Past Timeline logo should point left as in backwards, as in going backwards into the past. Makes sense in my mind at least.
  • ddmkm122 likes this

ARADIA: i think i mostly want to see what happens when this whole place breaks apart

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I disagree. I'd read the timeline starting at the beginning, i.e. the big bang, forwards up until present day.
  • wjfox, TheAsianGuy_LOL and ddmkm122 like this

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Surely it would make more sense if the arrows pointed left instead of right. 

Hmm... I could go either way on this one (pun not intended).  Initially I had the same reaction as FOT, but the more I reflect on it (pun intended), the more I think it's a good idea.

Almost all physical laws have the property of "time-reversal symmetry" (a notable exception being the 2nd law of thermodynamics).  This means that most processes are physically viable in either time direction, and it implies that the flow of time from the past to the future is an illusion, or at least not as fundamental as experience would lead us to believe.  That being the case, I'd say that in both logos the arrow represents our perception of time, as viewed from the present.  It's a symbol of where we stand and where we're looking in our attempt to understand the future, and the past, using our predictions and records.  From this perspective, I'd agree with an arrow reversal.

• ddmkm122 likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts

Hopefully, it's a timeline of technical advances. ;)

• ddmkm122 likes this

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users