Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

FutureTimeline 5.0

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Google have set a deadline of 21st April for all websites to be responsive, after which they'll be downgraded in search results if they don't comply.

For those who don't know what "responsive" means –  it's basically a website that auto-detects a user's screen size (whether mobile, tablet or desktop), then dynamically resizes all the various elements, tables, images and so on, to provide a more pleasant browsing experience. In other words, you shouldn't have to pinch and zoom on a phone screen to read the text.

This is of major concern to me, since the current version of this website isn't responsive and has a number of issues when viewed on smaller devices. I've been working on a responsive version and hope to have this finished in the next month or so, hopefully before Google's deadline.

I'm taking on board the criticisms that were levelled at the previous design update, and I'd welcome any further suggestions that people have. This also represents an opportunity to suggest new features/content you'd like to see. For example, I'm planning to include a recommended books page, and possibly listings for exhibitions or conferences relating to futurology. The opinion poll will also make a return at some point. Furthermore, I want to massively overhaul the "Resources" section, to include vastly more data, trends, statistics and so on. It looks unfinished at present with sparse content and this really needs to improve.

Once this new version of the website is complete, I can then duplicate the entire thing as a template for Past Timeline.

So let me hear your suggestions... :)

• Yuli Ban, TheAsianGuy_LOL, La Bodysnatcher and 4 others like this

sorcerer

sorcerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationFrance

Wow, that's a lot of work! Sounds good. :good:

• ddmkm122 likes this

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I don't have any suggestions, but best of luck to you! :D

• ddmkm122 likes this

What difference does it make?

ironland

ironland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFinland

If you are changing the appearance of the site, you should make it more modern. Different shades of _light_ blue and white, and round shapes are the way to go. They will get the site more visitors and permanent users. 

e: and yeah, book recommendations is a great idea!

• ddmkm122 likes this

FuturistUndertaking

FuturistUndertaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGermany

I love the idea of book recommendations!

• ddmkm122 likes this

If you're bored, check out my blog on social, economic and environmental change http://futuristunder....wordpress.com/

I'm still figuring out what I want to write about, so any suggestions, problems and interesting issues in general are very much appreciated.

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

the colour purple is very futuristic, i propose changing the blue to purple.

blue can seem too masculine and generic, purple is far more neutral and welcoming. 

• ddmkm122 likes this
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Wow 5.0 :)

• ddmkm122 likes this

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

I think you need a better banner / logo. The website feels outdated in design as well, but it's actually really functional to be honest. I don't know what to advise here though, it just feels too much like a blog? Perhaps modernising it is too difficult anyway, I know professional web design costs a truck load. 

• Italian Ufo and ddmkm122 like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Thanks for your feedback so far. How could the banner be improved?

• ddmkm122 likes this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Thanks for your feedback so far. How could the banner be improved?

My advice would be to put something similar as background;

Similar colours in photo number 1

artificial-intelligence_zpsd8ea4038.jpg

artificial-intelligence.jpg

coe_a_passion_04-noscale_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg

numbers.jpg

• Time_Traveller, eacao, Frizz and 5 others like this

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

I like pics 1 and 4.

• Italian Ufo and ddmkm122 like this
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

No need to quote all the images from a post just before yours.

Edit: Thanks for fixing.

• ddmkm122 likes this

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

Something I would steer clear of is any kind of complex image if there is going to be text over it. Things similar to the images above coule be used if the Future Timeline text was placed on a clear area next to it. As for the main background of the site (currently just solid grey) you could go for a soft gradient. 

photo.jpg

For the banner background I would personally either add a complex image off centre with a gradient (possibly keep the current blues just stretch them out a bit as the changes in shades looks a tad too abrupt) that fills the entire thing then you can have the text over the clear area of the gradient away from the complex image.

The header text itself could have an upwards inner bezel of 1% depth with 0 size and soften (photoshop values) which gives a very thin crisp highlight and shadow around the edge to make it look ever so slightly raised and 3D. Add a soft light grey to dark grey gradient and it will give a stamped metal feel.

This 'a' has a downwards bevel but uses the same 1% depth with 0 size and soften, while the 'Airwalk' is an upwards bevel

DWV7w.jpghow-to-design-a-flower-fleuron-text-effe

I attempted to make an example in photoshop here at work in some downtime but I've realised that my age old imageshack.us account is no longer a great place to upload stuff (you need a premium account now!) so I've nowhere that I can put images up atm. If anyone can point me in a good direction I can have another go tonight and show some examples of what I've described above.

Edited by Ghostreaper, 30 March 2015 - 02:47 PM.

• wjfox and ddmkm122 like this

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Thanks, never tried bezel in Photoshop before, I will check it out. :)

• ddmkm122 likes this

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

Sorry meant bevel :p I make too many bezels at work so mixed them up ^^

• ddmkm122 likes this

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

ironland

ironland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFinland

As I said, light blue and white shades with round shapes. Ask anyone in the marketing business, that's how you sell products and thats also how you get users. Also the main point of course being that it looks good. Dark shades and corners look ancient. So does yellow, red, black etc.

• ddmkm122 likes this

La Bodysnatcher

La Bodysnatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Would a bit of neon also work?

• ddmkm122 likes this

When you say "this is overrated" do you mean "I think this sucks?"

When you say "the majority hate it" do you mean "I hate it?"

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I like pics 1 and 4.

2 and 3 do it for me. :D

• ddmkm122 likes this

What difference does it make?

FuturistUndertaking

FuturistUndertaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGermany

I'm new to this board and In response to Fox' stricter moderation thread I just wanted to say that I completely understand why it is necessary. 

Has it ever been considered that trolling and all that nonsense would be much less prevalent if the board was somehow linked to logging in with google+ or Facebook accounts. I know that's an unpopular opinion and I know that it might scare off some prospective new members, but having seen some posts/threads, I'd gladly pay the price of losing anonymity for the sake of a more serious discussion board.

• ddmkm122 likes this

If you're bored, check out my blog on social, economic and environmental change http://futuristunder....wordpress.com/

I'm still figuring out what I want to write about, so any suggestions, problems and interesting issues in general are very much appreciated.

ironland

ironland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFinland

I'm new to this board and In response to Fox' stricter moderation thread I just wanted to say that I completely understand why it is necessary. 

Has it ever been considered that trolling and all that nonsense would be much less prevalent if the board was somehow linked to logging in with google+ or Facebook accounts. I know that's an unpopular opinion and I know that it might scare off some prospective new members, but having seen some posts/threads, I'd gladly pay the price of losing anonymity for the sake of a more serious discussion board

I like this idea. I think that it would actually bring more members, since it would be very easy to register and log in with Facebook. Traditional forums have been losing popularity for the last, I dunno, 7-8 years? Social media could be the way to go!

• ddmkm122 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users