Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

FutureTimeline 5.0

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,347 posts
  • LocationLondon

I think a (much) better way of doing references would be to have a drop-down/expander below each individual prediction, rather than lumping them all together at the end.

Most of the pages have got so big, it takes me a ludicrous amount of time to go through and update the reference numbers/links/anchors. For example, if I need to add new references before the #1 reference – and there are 100+ references – every single reference that follows #1 needs to have its anchor number edited, along with the asterisks in the main text itself.

By having them expand below each prediction, it would save masses of time, as I'd just be updating a few individual references – not the entire page.

• eacao, TheAsianGuy_LOL, ddmkm122 and 4 others like this

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
Is there anything you can do to help increase the responsiveness of sites on mobile? I find the pages sometimes run slowly. Do you have some bad (inefficient) JavaScript lurking around in your code?

Perhaps that could be something to look at along the way.

And if you can, arrange a G+ group and have Hangouts on a fairly regular basis. If you do this, I would ask you to alternate the times to allow people in all time zones to take part.
  • wjfox, ddmkm122 and ironland like this
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,347 posts
  • LocationLondon

Is there anything you can do to help increase the responsiveness of sites on mobile? I find the pages sometimes run slowly. Do you have some bad (inefficient) JavaScript lurking around in your code?

Yes, I'm doing a complete overhaul of the code, so any bad scripts etc. will be removed. I can use Google's test site to verify whether it's mobile-friendly.

• ddmkm122 likes this

Northward

Northward

trying to be optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Location: a good place to live when considering climate change

Just a suggestion for the layout...

http://futuristdesmo...x.com/thefuture

• ddmkm122 likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,347 posts
  • LocationLondon

This font – "Oswald" – will replace the existing one (Jockey) for headers/titles in FutureTimeline. I think it looks rather nice :-)

https://www.google.c...specimen/Oswald

I will use it for PastTimeline as well.

• ddmkm122 likes this

Tantalus

Tantalus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Google have set a deadline of 21st April for all websites to be responsive, after which they'll be downgraded in search results if they don't comply.

For those who don't know what "responsive" means –  it's basically a website that auto-detects a user's screen size (whether mobile, tablet or desktop), then dynamically resizes all the various elements, tables, images and so on, to provide a more pleasant browsing experience. In other words, you shouldn't have to pinch and zoom on a phone screen to read the text.

This is of major concern to me, since the current version of this website isn't responsive and has a number of issues when viewed on smaller devices. I've been working on a responsive version and hope to have this finished in the next month or so, hopefully before Google's deadline.

I'm taking on board the criticisms that were levelled at the previous design update, and I'd welcome any further suggestions that people have. This also represents an opportunity to suggest new features/content you'd like to see. For example, I'm planning to include a recommended books page, and possibly listings for exhibitions or conferences relating to futurology. The opinion poll will also make a return at some point. Furthermore, I want to massively overhaul the "Resources" section, to include vastly more data, trends, statistics and so on. It looks unfinished at present with sparse content and this really needs to improve.

Once this new version of the website is complete, I can then duplicate the entire thing as a template for Past Timeline.

So let me hear your suggestions... :)

Thanks so much for the tip. I have a few web sites and I don't want them down-ranked!

• wjfox and ddmkm122 like this

Virtual desktops in the cloud are already in Beta stage at www.ApostleMod.com

This is The Next Facebook  

#InternetRevolution

KaRdAsHeV~sCaLe

KaRdAsHeV~sCaLe

0.72 on the Kardashev scale and slowly getting more advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in this universe

I hope you are successful in this challenge

Counting down the days until 2050: 12,499 Humanity = 0.72 on the Kardashev scale
Counting down the days until 2100: 30,761
Counting down the days until 3000: 359,479

Raarnt

Raarnt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNorway

Good luck, I'm sure it will look great ;-)

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,347 posts
  • LocationLondon

Hey guys......

Here's a preview of the new mobile/responsive homepage, which is now practically 100% finished:

http://www.futuretim...net/1-index.htm

It's been tested extensively, and should work in the vast majority of browsers and screen sizes.

You may notice a few links to additional sections, e.g. "Artwork", "Interviews", "Polls", "Data & Trends". These are part of the new features and content we'll be adding to expand the website.

Having completed this main homepage, I'll be using it as a template for other sections (meaning I don't have to re-code the menu and footers, for example). This will greatly accelerate the process of making ALL pages mobile-friendly, since I can just "clone" elements and copy/paste them in.

It's taken a ridiculously long time to reach this stage, and I apologise once again for that – but as I hope you'll appreciate, my time has been rather limited, what with having a full-time office job, alongside daily blogging and writing predictions, moderating this forum and our social media platforms, as well as finding time for a social life. :)

Suggestions and feedback welcome – although at this stage it's unlikely I'll be changing much, if anything. The main banner/logo might be replaced with a more interesting and eye-catching design at some point, but it's not a priority right now. Also, I'm not a professional designer and everything was basically hand-coded from scratch. But I hope you agree it's an improvement on the current homepage and will make browsing a lot easier on mobiles.

Cheers,

Will

• Time_Traveller, StanleyAlexander, ddmkm122 and 1 other like this

Infinite

Infinite

Citizen of the World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
Looks great Will! Had a look on my mobile and it feels very clean and neat. I can't wait to explore the new sections as well - they look awesome!:)

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine.

Jakob

Jakob

A Brain Relit is an anagram of Libertarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Does this mean we get to start submitting our own timelines?

• ddmkm122 likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,347 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'm sure we'll include that (or a similar feature) eventually. :)

• Time_Traveller, ddmkm122 and Jakob like this

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

can't wait!

I am done goodbye.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 5,840 posts
  • LocationQuebec City, Canada October 2020 C.E.

Can't wait to try it out :)

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Nice

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,347 posts
  • LocationLondon

Latest Updates page:

http://www.futuretim...et/2-latest.htm

Infinite

Infinite

Citizen of the World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Latest Updates page:

http://www.futuretim...et/2-latest.htm

Lovin that drop down menu ;)

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

Looks awesome, good work!

Humanity's destiny is infinity

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,347 posts
  • LocationLondon

Just a little update on the mobile/responsive site, which I've been spending more and more time on lately.

– New homepage is 100% complete

– All of the "Latest updates" pages are 100% complete (there'll be separate ones for latest blogs, latest predictions, latest features, etc.)

– Main "Contents" near the top of each page on the timeline are now 100% complete for every page and section.

Next weekend, I'll be doing the actual timeline entries (i.e. below the "Contents" summaries). This should be a simple matter of copying and pasting from the old (current) version, then doing a find-and-replace on the CSS.

After that, I'll do the Blog templates, and the blogs themselves, again using find-and-replace to save time.

The final stage will be introducing the new sections, e.g. Artwork, Data & Trends, Interviews, Polls, etc. which I can adapt from a single generic template and shouldn't take long.

It's really coming together now, and there's light at the end of the tunnel... at last! :)

• StanleyAlexander and ddmkm122 like this

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut/Aspiring Mathematician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

Awesome Will, can't wait for the update. :)

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users