Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

World's first robotic kitchen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,833 posts
  • LocationLondon

This will apparently debut in 2017.

• Zaphod and joe00uk like this

sorcerer

sorcerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationFrance

I'll have one, provided it does the washing-up too. :biggrin:

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationUK

I wonder when we will be dining at fully autonomous restaurants. Probably the early 2020's at this rate. Robots are set to be very disruptive in the service industry.

sorcerer

sorcerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationFrance

You could imagine this sort of thing at high-volume self-service places.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

This design is very posh and all but it's hardly very effiecient and I doubt it will be very economical.

But then I'm biased. One of my projects over the next five years is a refrigerator sized system that dispenses pre-measured ingredients of the most common and versatile foods with the highest nutritional value, and combines them in a multitude of ways before final prep can dispensing. All of which is a way of saying five ingredient, 15 minute meals from essentially a vending machine that vends pre-portioned ingredients in a home setting, and then heats them on the plate it gives you.

Much cheaper, simpler, and suits most needs while coming damn close to the Star Trek food replicator (you'd still have to refill it with purchases ingredient packages) or more accurately Jetsons kitchen.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

sorcerer

sorcerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationFrance

I'm not coming to dinner at your place.

Seriously, that would have to be expensive even in volume, and wouldn't suit the people who could afford it, and would be too expensive for the people who might benefit from it.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

seriously? Have you ever constructed a vending machine? They are simpler than you can imagine, and cheaper than most fridges. and Using an arduino or raspberry pi could easily make an excellent stirfry, burrito, potpie, smørrebrød, seasoned chicken or fish with vegetable sides.

I have no idea what you imagine happens in most kitchens, or what most people are eating for casual meals, but this isn't meant as every meal or to replace dining. This sort of thing is about a quick lunch, dinner alone after a long day at work, dorm room meals, ect. It'd be a damn sight tastier and healthier than drive through food or some of those tv dinners.

A tender chicken breast in lemon ginger sauce with a side of rice pilaf topped with honey balsamic brocolli. That would be relatively easy to do, and you could source the ingredients seasonally and locally from organic farming.

Most regular fair is simply a cooked protein with seasoning or sauce, a simple grain or starch like rice corn or potato, and a veggy seasoned or flavored. Having worked in commercial kitchen, mechanical devices, and tinkered with arduino like boards I can tell you it's not some mysterious magic that gets served to you, the first vending machines existed before gunpowder and anesthetic and can be built by hand from simple materials, and the electronis to bring it all together would be the hardest part, at about as hard to do as building a 3d printer (which you can look up on line at reprap sites).

The product would not even be as expensive as some models of fridge that I just saw at the local appliance stores, if made individually.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

sorcerer

sorcerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationFrance

We'll send you to the Dragon's Den and see how you get on.

jamesgera

jamesgera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
i don't believe this.

I mean it is a few years away before we will be able to build a robotic arm that could easily move around without any effort for a amputee never mind having a robotic arm that can cook you a meal by itself never mind the fact that even this would cost a big dent in Bill gates account

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

i don't believe this.

I mean it is a few years away before we will be able to build a robotic arm that could easily move around without any effort for a amputee never mind having a robotic arm that can cook you a meal by itself never mind the fact that even this would cost a big dent in Bill gates account

Building a robotic arm should be easier than building a cybernetic arm, since you obviously don't need to deal with all the brain-computer interface issues.

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Spacehawk

Spacehawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

The kitchen robot looks quite sophisticated, if that can create almost any recipe like they claim it will it makes me think how easy it would be for places like McDonalds to replace staff and automate everything.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationUK

The company says it will now launch its first product in 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users