Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Climate Change News and Discussions

climate change AGW global warming environment denialism

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Why was earths recorded highest temperature recorded In the 1930s?

It wasn't.

You're just quoting one of the many 1000-times-debunked myths that are continually spouted by climate change denialists and those who are completely ignorant of the science. It's total bullshit.

There was a brief spike in the United States during 1934, when the average temperature was comparable to the early 2000s as shown in the graph below. However, temperatures rose again from the 1970s and a new record was set in 2012.

B8ZXjFu.jpg

The USA comprises only 2% of the world's surface. When looking at the global temperature record, it's clear that temperatures have continued to rise and hit new records. Latest data from the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) shows that the five years from 2011 to 2015 were the warmest on record globally, largely due to human activities, with 2016 likely to be even hotter:

http://public.wmo.in...15-hot-and-wild

Shouldn't record high temperatures be recorded every year?

Do you seriously expect a new record to be set continuously, year after year, without any sort of noise or background fluctuations?

Please don't ever consider a career in statistical analysis.

That's some nice photoshopping. Why aren't the trees dead from all that water?

Hey everyone, the 2016 Louisiana floods never happened! It was all just photoshopped.

• Maximus and Whereas like this

Hoody32

Hoody32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
https://en.m.wikiped...corded_on_Earth
I'm talking about this highest temperature.

Hoody32

Hoody32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
I never said there were no floods. I said the picture is a fraud.

Hoody32

Hoody32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
I never expected to be a statistician in life but I know when someone is being straight up rude. I asked a simple question. I didn't deny anything. And I get treated like an asshole. If you don't have the patience to teach people in a polite way then you will never get your point across to the non believers.

Hoody32

Hoody32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
I'm sorry Mr Fox. I get so angry when I see people fight over climate change. The time and energy people spend on this subject is ridiculous. How many people who fight about this, have done their own actual research? Googling and posting links will not change anyone's mind about what they believe.
I also get upset about solar and geothermal. These renewable energy sources will not solve the problem of CO2 pollution. This technology is like using CFL bulbs. They were more efficient than incandescents but not as good as LED. I think solar is a waste of resources just like CFL bulbs were. We need a form of renewable energy that is equivalent to the greateness of a LED bulb.

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

From your link:

[It is proposed that] the highest reliably recorded temperature on Earth is still at Death Valley, but is instead 53.9 °C (129 °F) recorded five times: 20 July 1960, 18 July 1998, 20 July 2005, 7 July 2007, and 30 June 2013

-sort of invalidates the question.

I never said there were no floods. I said the picture is a fraud.

I'm no expert on photo doctoring, but I suspect that neither are you. Anyway I don't see why trees couldn't survive a few days with their trunks submerged; it's water, not acid.  

I never expected to be a statistician in life [...]

How many people who fight about this, have done their own actual research?

How many people are qualified to do their own research without messing up the results? Analysis of climate change denier studies have shown basic science errors messing up their results in many cases and minor math errors messing them up in others. So yeah, I think it makes sense to defer to the judgment of people who really know what they're doing here. I expect that my doctor is going to provide a better diagnosis than I could by doing my own research, and when 97%+ of the world's doctors agree on your diagnosis after careful analysis, do you really think it wise to insist they're all wrong?

Googling and posting links will not change anyone's mind about what they believe.

Oh it can and it does, although I agree that anyone who's still a climate change denier at this point is too far gone to be swayed by something like evidence. This can be infuriating to some - it's literally an issue of the survival of human kind, but there's people who will cover their ears and go "la, la, la" while you're trying to present compelling evidence for why they're supporting the wrong political policies.

• wjfox likes this

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

^ To be fair, it's hard to convince people when you call them "utterly deluded idiots" for sharing any contrarian viewpoint. That just entrenches both sides into echo chambers. There should be dialogue. And yes, eventually there will be more believers in climate change than skeptics/deniers. Many more. But if you go about arguing by calling everyone who disagrees with you a moron, you're not going to get anywhere. If anything, you're going to get backlash, and you shouldn't be surprised when it comes.

I've been saying this in regards to the presidential election and how the Uptown Leftists failed so badly to get the working class on their side. If you act like a prissy, arrogant, know-it-all aristocrat who believes he's always right, you should never even pretend to be offended by people calling you wrong on the basis of your own hubris. People you could have swayed to your side, you turned away all because of how you presented yourself. And never suggest that should have nothing to do with it. 

If I went around a town saying "The sky is blue, and anyone who disagrees with me is a retarded nigger who should be sterilized," how long do you think it would take before the majority of the town told me that the sky was green? It doesn't matter that they're wrong; I fucked up when I decided I was holier than thou and wouldn't budge or even conceptualize the idea of not acting like a twat.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

^ To be fair, it's hard to convince people when you call them "utterly deluded idiots" for sharing any contrarian viewpoint. That just entrenches both sides into echo chambers. There should be dialogue. And yes, eventually there will be more believers in climate change than skeptics/deniers. Many more. But if you go about arguing by calling everyone who disagrees with you a moron, you're not going to get anywhere. If anything, you're going to get backlash, and you shouldn't be surprised when it comes.

I've been saying this in regards to the presidential election and how the Uptown Leftists failed so badly to get the working class on their side. If you act like a prissy, arrogant, know-it-all aristocrat who believes he's always right, you should never even pretend to be offended by people calling you wrong on the basis of your own hubris. People you could have swayed to your side, you turned away all because of how you presented yourself. And never suggest that should have nothing to do with it. 

If I went around a town saying "The sky is blue, and anyone who disagrees with me is a retarded nigger who should be sterilized," how long do you think it would take before the majority of the town told me that the sky was green? It doesn't matter that they're wrong; I fucked up when I decided I was holier than thou and wouldn't budge or even conceptualize the idea of not acting like a twat.

https://youtu.be/6pTbL7GYUuA

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
http://www.futuretim...chy-in-a-forum/

I find it the most inane thing that people should prioritize what they WANT to believe and especially because they think someone rude. This to me seems to be a great folly of we humans for we are all susceptible.

Of course the saying of something like this "The sky is blue, and anyone who disagrees with me is a retarded nigger who should be sterilized," is firstly a fallacy which a respectable man would not utilize and secondly as to your claim that people would say the sky was green is simply false. They may say it to spite you but they will not act as to such a belief. What would happen is that you would be despised and perhaps violence would occur.

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Ummm...trees like water.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Just saying, it helps no one to act superior to others, even if you're in the right.

Climate change has destroyed half of Japan’s major coral reef

More than half of Japan’s largest coral reef has been destroyed due to the rise in water temperatures this year, says a study released by the Ministry of Environment on Friday.
The reef, located in front of Ishigaki island in Okinawa and protected as a natural reserve, boasts over 70 coral species and is considered one of the oldest and largest in the northern hemisphere, Efe news reported.

Ninety-seven per cent of the corals have undergone bleaching and 56 per cent have died, according to the ministry study which analysed the reef between September and October.
The deterioration was attributed to the 2 degree Celsius rise in average water temperatures in the area and the ministry warned that the remaining corals are at risk of disappearing in these conditions.
The meteorological phenomenon of El Nino, which causes temperatures of the sea surface to rise, has contributed to the coral bleaching around the world this year, including some of the largest protected reefs in Australia, Thailand and Maldives.
Coral bleaching occurs when they are faced with constant and extreme changes of temperature, light and nutrients.
This process puts at risk the abundance of fish species that depend on the reefs for their shelter and food.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Hoody32

Hoody32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Why didn't the article provide exact temperatures?

Just saying, it helps no one to act superior to others, even if you're in the right.

Climate change has destroyed half of Japan’s major coral reef

More than half of Japan’s largest coral reef has been destroyed due to the rise in water temperatures this year, says a study released by the Ministry of Environment on Friday.
The reef, located in front of Ishigaki island in Okinawa and protected as a natural reserve, boasts over 70 coral species and is considered one of the oldest and largest in the northern hemisphere, Efe news reported.

Ninety-seven per cent of the corals have undergone bleaching and 56 per cent have died, according to the ministry study which analysed the reef between September and October.
The deterioration was attributed to the 2 degree Celsius rise in average water temperatures in the area and the ministry warned that the remaining corals are at risk of disappearing in these conditions.
The meteorological phenomenon of El Nino, which causes temperatures of the sea surface to rise, has contributed to the coral bleaching around the world this year, including some of the largest protected reefs in Australia, Thailand and Maldives.
Coral bleaching occurs when they are faced with constant and extreme changes of temperature, light and nutrients.
This process puts at risk the abundance of fish species that depend on the reefs for their shelter and food.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationCanada

Look, I don't want this thread to degenerate into a 80 page argument that will change nobody's mind, but I will say this: the point isn't that the highest temperature occurred 100 years ago, or whatever. There are so many variables that the climate on any day depends on. The point is that global temperatures on average (over time) have been increasing drastically since the industrial revolution began. Faster than any other warming period we have evidence of. Just because it was hotter for a day or two 100 years ago, or this month has been somewhat cold, doesn't mean anything when you look at the long term trends. These trends show periodic deviations for short periods of time (colder or hotter temperatures), but overall the trend clearly shows increasing average temperatures.

• wjfox and Raarnt like this
If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

Raarnt

Raarnt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNorway

Well said

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationCanada

Oh man, I wish we had that flash drive. Just post them all in this thread, laid out plainly to see. 100+ pages. 200+ pages.

Then we open a thread linked to all climate change denying scientific papers. Might be about... half a page? Not even that.

Say no more:   

IPCC AR5 Synthesis Report SPM: https://www.ipcc.ch/...R_FINAL_SPM.pdf

IPCC AR5 WG I SPM: https://www.ipcc.ch/...5_SPM_FINAL.pdf

IPCC AR5 WG II SPM: https://www.ipcc.ch/...wgII_spm_en.pdf

IPCC AR5 WG III SPM: https://www.ipcc.ch/...olicymakers.pdf

All conveniently located at: https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/syr/

I recently used the above for a paper on public inaction and climate change, I highly recommend skimming through them all if you have the time. SPM means "Summary for Policymakers", but you can also access the original reports by clicking on the 4th link.

• Yuli Ban likes this
If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

New study finds public perception of scientific consensus on climate change is slowly but steadily increasing:

http://sgo.sagepub.c...96.figures-only

s3PcU6n.jpg

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Computer model predictions vs. reality.

This is how fucked we are:

1wuv04q.jpg

• Yuli Ban and Infinite like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Collapse of West Antarctic Ice Sheet Reveals Inadequacy of Current Climate Strategies

http://www.truth-out...mate-strategies

This is actually a rather lengthy article with plenty of hyperlinks. The citations below merely highlight two of the major themes of the article

Extract:

The recently emerged discipline of global warming psychology lists numerous reasons "why" we do not trust climate scientists when we trust all other scientists almost implicitly. What it boils down to is something that has been labelled by Stanford research as the Climate Change Counter Movement (CCCM).

…Some of the most important climate science that has ever been published is now adding to the knowledge base about what is likely the single most important thing in our new climate trajectory. For the first time, in November 2015 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, science defined the tipping point between a stable West Antarctic Ice Sheet (WAIS) and an Antarctica that collapses uncontrollably.

What these researchers from the Potsdam Institute of Climate Impact Research tell us is that if we do not return our oceans to their preindustrial temperature by 2050, we will see out-of-control collapse of the WAIS and ultimately all of Antarctica. Their different scenarios all point to one critical issue: ocean warming. Four scenarios resulted in no collapse, all returning upper ocean warming around Antarctica to its preindustrial temperature by 2050.

2016_1220mel_1.jpg

The Jakobshavn glacier in Greenland is the fastest-discharging glacier in the world.

(Photo: Bruce Melton)

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

• Yuli Ban likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: climate change, AGW, global warming, environment, denialism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users