Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Ultra HD Blu-ray

UHD 4K

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Not to be confused with 'Archival Disc', which is a 300GB to 1TB disc format for 8K which will most likely release in a decade if at all.

0DBwuik.jpg

After Blu-ray and HD DVD ushered in the age of HD and 1080p movies for the masses, discs were beaten to 4K by streaming services like Netflix, YouTube and Amazon. While the internet is still doing most of the heavy lifting for 4K, the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification is finally complete which means we should see movies and players arriving later this year. Besides being compatible with the 10,000~ Blu-ray discs already out, Ultra HD Blu-ray players will be ready for high-res 3,840 x 2,160 video, "next generation object-based sound formats" (think DTS: X and Dolby Atmos), more colors, high dynamic range (HDR) and even high frame rate video. That's a lot of buzzwords to say movies will have the capability to look and sound better at your home than they ever have before. The BDA also made vague reference to a "digital bridge" setup for extending your movie purchased on a disc to other devices like phones and tablets, but didn't say exactly how that will work, or if it's going to be any better than Ultraviolet. The discs themselves are upgraded too, ready to hold 66GB or 100GB of data, up from the 25GB/50GB size of the current Blu-ray spec. According to the association licensing is expected to start this summer, and Samsung already announced it plans to release a player later this year. Hopefully, whatever it produces is better (and cheaper) than the slow, glitchy $1,000 BD-P1000 that kicked off the Blu-ray era years ago. Panasonic showed off a demo player at CES this year, and we're sure other manufacturers will follow suit. For people looking to future proof their setup, the new crop of Ultra HD TVs hitting shelves this year have support for the high-res video, plus HDR color, but they may need to support a new HDMI 2.0a standard to get the most out of new discs. There's still a few more questions than answers about the rollout of 4K content, but as the picture clears up over the summer and into the holidays, we should have more information.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

Makes more sense now to have "sticks" (USB or otherwise) than to have discs. Smaller and more compact, less moving parts and a varied range of storage sizes. They already have a 256GB microSD card. For the same size as this disc you can have dozens of microSD cards.

Discs are now archaic. It's evidenced by the lack of acceptance Blu-Ray has encountered for home consumers. People aren't buying BD-players because there are a lot more options than there were for VHS/DVD days. Most of it coming in the way of hard drive storage attached to the network.

• PrimordialBeing, ironland, voluntaryist and 1 other like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Not to be confused with 'Archival Disc', which is a 300GB to 1TB disc format for 8K which will most likely release in a decade if at all..

Er... Archival Discs are releasing this summerAnd always have been.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
I actually made a thread on Archival Discs.

Since then Sony have gone very quiet on them and, as they're part of the BDA, they are now pushing UHD-BR as the successor to Blu-ray.

As for streaming, it's ok for the odd movie/TV show, but I want my favourites in the best quality possible and streaming just isn't up to scratch.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I actually made a thread on Archival Discs.

Since then Sony have gone very quiet on them and, as they're part of the BDA, they are now pushing UHD-BR as the successor to Blu-ray.

Yes, we know. That's because it's a disc format that's going to be released in summer 2015, not GTA V...

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Not sure what GTA V has to do with anything.

As for Archival Discs, I just can't see it happening now. The BDA have settled on the Ultra HD Blu-ray format, and they'll be working hard to establish that as the next standard.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Not sure what GTA V has to do with anything.

I mean, you're acting like the AD should be talked about extensively, with thousands of articles heralding its arrival, otherwise it's not going to happen. Just like the AD, the UHD Blu-ray is getting attention now, before it's released— but there will be a massive "quiet period" until then.

As for what format will actually succeed? I don't know. It depends on whomever offers the best product that uses it.

Not trying to come across as mean or anything.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Yes but since then they've unveiled UHD-BD, which means Sony is now backing this and not AD.

Sony aren't going to release two formats in the same year.

Regardless, releasing AD in 2015 was pie in the sky, the specs were overkill for 4K and it would've been way too expensive.
  • Yuli Ban likes this

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Panasonic players expected to cost upwards of $400/£400

http://www.kitguru.n...yers-panasonic/

panasonic-4k-blu-ray-player-prototype-ce

Not too bad when you consider the launch price of Blu-ray players in 2006 (Sony BDP-S1 for $1000 and Pioneer BDP-HD1 for $1800),with PlayStation 3 costing $599 at launch.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Samsung have unveiled their first player

http://www.theverge....-blu-ray-player

samsunubd-k8500g_.jpg

Angeltxilon

Angeltxilon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth
Why we continue to increase data compression in a two-dimensional surface?
In my opinion we should focus on use of the volume, because expensive recording equipment or energetic lasers aren't needed to obtain good results.
For example, with red wave frequency of DVD and volume use, is possible store in the size (surface x width) of this even 1 petabyte (1000 terabytes).

The holographic data storage is also a good choice.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Because the current method is much cheaper than the alternatives you proposed.

It's also easier to make this backwards compatibly with DVD and Blu-ray.

Angeltxilon

Angeltxilon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth

The data density/cost of 3D optical storage is major than Blu-ray, the methodes that I proposed should be investigated and developed.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Panasonic's first player launches next month, 13th November, in Japan

http://www.forbes.co...ing-next-month/

xxl_DMR-UBZ1_zoom-970-80.jpg

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Packaging has been unveiled, the cases are basically black Blu-ray cases which compliment the existing media.

14057-featured-600x400.jpg

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I just don't see the point in buying a new player.  Maybe they look a little better, but I'll take the convenience of buying movies on itunes, so that not only is there no physical disc player and disc taking up space in my home, but I can watch them on my TV, phone, ipad, etc.  I think that buying any kind of player (DVD, Blu Ray, Ultra HD) is probably on the way out.  Keeping the movie in the cloud is just too damn convenient.

The only thing we ever want is more

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Samsung's first player will cost $399, out March

http://www.cnet.com/...sung-ubd-k8500/

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yes! We need this

http://www.engadget....g-soon-for-399/

We need this badly.

• Sciencerocks likes this

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Yes! We need this
http://www.engadget....g-soon-for-399/

We need this badly.

Went on sale last Friday in the US with movies officially releasing next month.

Still no sign of Archival Disc I see, I assume that tech's now dead in the water.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Great to see classics being announced for the format, soon we'll be able to own our own versions of movies in the same resolution as they were released in the cinema...

http://m.uk.ign.com/...release-details

http://www.thehdroom...updated-109666/

bwThV3w.jpg

221120-L-LO.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users