Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

2020 Computers

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
I am usually very serious so it's time to make another fun thread. Predict what computers will be like nine years from now. Will they have 2 month battery life? Will they all be touchscreen? Will they be cheap $100 tablets?
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
Laptops will be dead by 2020. They take all of the bad things from desktops and tablets and put it into one device. As for desktops, 85-95% will be Macs. Not sure about tablets. The iPad will be the best seller still, though.
  • Nerd likes this

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
Probably a bit optomistic on the date, but here's some cool stuff:

http://www.zdnet.com...r-of-2019/17120
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
What would be sad is if they are 1000 times faster on paper, but only 10 in reality due to terrible operating systems.
  • eacao likes this
NO!

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Laptops will be dead by 2020. They take all of the bad things from desktops and tablets and put it into one device.

As for desktops, 85-95% will be Macs.

Not sure about tablets. The iPad will be the best seller still, though.

More Apple nonsense from Zachemc2 to go along with his baseless prediction that Apple will invent the holographic TV and that they'll only be made in America (Samsung/LG will invent the holographic TV in Korea and they'll be assembled in China)

Some more reasonable predictions:

- Most computers will be tablets (carrying out all the functions a current top end PC can handle)
- Larger tablets can be used as desktops (by attanching a stand and wireless keyboard+mouse), or as laptops (many will come with slide out keyboards)
- The current Operating Systems (Android, iOS) have been replaced by Windows, ChromeOS, OSX, however these full OS will be as accessible as current tablet OS
- Most tablets in the 3rd world serve as 'dumb' terminals where the computing is done via cloud data centres

Top 5 tablet/PC makers in 2020
1. Samsung (Korea)
2. Huawei (China)
3. Nokia (Finland) - Only started making tablets/PCs in 2012
4. Apple (USA) - MacPad
5. TATA (India)

Edited by Nick1984, 30 November 2011 - 09:06 PM.

• truthiness likes this

sirhotalot

sirhotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Laptops will be dead by 2020. They take all of the bad things from desktops and tablets and put it into one device.

Not sure about tablets. The iPad will be the best seller still, though.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Edit: 9 years from now everything will be much the same except faster and possibly slimmer. There will be more touch screen interfaces on phones. Tablets will only replace laptops if they can surpass their functionality and can be setup like a laptop, otherwise sitting and working with one would be rather uncomfortable.

Edited by sirhotalot, 01 December 2011 - 01:27 AM.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Eh?????
  • jjf3 likes this

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Eh?????

Well who's still gonna use Windows then?

sirhotalot

sirhotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Eh?????

Both MacOS X and Windows are going to go through some great changes. Free open source software is quickly reshaping the industries political landscape. Russia has already passed a bill that will require the country to switch entirely to open source operating systems within the next 5 to 10 years to remove the threat of Microsoft which is constantly being lobbied to put a government back door into their OS. Having the world rely almost entirely on a proprietary OS is a huge security risk.

Linux isn't going to over take Windows or Mac within the next 10 years, but it's certainly going to make things more interesting. It has to over-come it's UI before the general public will start to adopt it though.

Edited by sirhotalot, 02 December 2011 - 05:47 AM.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
Windows ain't gonna disappear, but I suspect it's market share will drop in favour of other systems (both existing and emerging). Personally I can see the morphing of smartphones and tablets back into a single device, assuming that the technology to allow bendable devices does take off. I can also see the cloud taking over for some situations but I don't see it wiping out the storage of local content. I'm also hopeful that by 2020 something similar to kinect will dominate but with discrete sensors placed on the body or clothing so that you don't need to have a physical device. As well as this I think we may see the emergence of the goggles / contact lenses that allow users to do everything without the need for a screen, but this is likely to go through several phases of emergence before they get it right.
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Eh?????

Er, most of the people that use Windows now?

The biggest threat to MS is Google, not Apple.

Edited by Nick1984, 02 December 2011 - 11:48 AM.

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace

Eh?????

Er, most of the people that use Windows now?

The biggest threat to MS is Google, not Apple.

http://seekingalpha....he-better-stock

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
So what? Just because Apple's stock is worth more doesn't mean they're a threat to Microsoft's userbase. Apple make these huge profits because their products are expensive, that's why Microsoft PCs outsell Macs at 20/1 and Android phones oursell iPhones 10/1.

sirhotalot

sirhotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Apple sells trends, which is exactly why they will never be a threat to Microsoft. In fact I think Steve Jobs once openly said they're not competitors and aren't trying to out do them.
  • RayVsTheRobots likes this

RayVsTheRobots

RayVsTheRobots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Apple sells trends, which is exactly why they will never be a threat to Microsoft. In fact I think Steve Jobs once openly said they're not competitors and aren't trying to out do them.

. I approve this message, like Nick said the biggest threat to Microsoft is Google, Apple has great computers but their hardware is overpriced. The average user will always go for the cheaper product.
  • stevo likes this

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Alot of analysts have said that come 2015 Windows Phone will become the 2nd largest smartphone OS in terms of userbase/marketshare just behind Google's Android and leaving Apple iOS in third place. They also predict that Blackberry will switch to using either Windows or Android.

stevo

stevo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN
Mac overprices it's products (an Ipod classic mp3 player is just under $300 on Amazon) so i suspect Windows will still be big in the future since Windows doesn't charge nearly as much. you can get a computer tower or a laptop from windows for $300.

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
Here's another possibility.

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Even future batteries will have problem with giving enough power to power very bright big screen from a pen. And I wouldn't find it very practical outside my own house. You wouldn't want to use it in a university or a train for example. It's not the road we should take. Personally, I believe computers in glasses and tablet-like are truly the future. But I am pretty convinced that a primary computer of a proffesional of 2020 is mobile, small unit like a notebook, tablet, smartphone or mini-PC linked wirelessly to a screen or few. Operating systems like Android now, will allow us then to do anything we could do on pure PC system like Windows 7.
  • eacao likes this

jkxzgyk

jkxzgyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
In 8 years I think that GoogleOS will gain popularity in desktops and laptops but Microsoft will still be the most popular. Apple will abandon desktops and laptops and focus all their efforts on tablets in which they will be the best by far (they will also keep the iPhone and iPod). This will likely be a good investment for the future as tablets gain popularity. Linux will be about the same as today, around but not the most popular.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users