Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

When do you think anti-aging would be around?

aging upload nano tech ai moores law

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

sasuke2490

sasuke2490

veteran gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

how do you think the processing power of computers will affect the emerging technologies like anti aging or ai, nanotech etc....

https://www.instagc.com/scorch9722

Use my link for free steam wallet codes if you want

tygrus

tygrus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Well, there is some immediate low haning fruit in the anti-aging field that could give everyone a 10% increase right now.   Some new drugs for cholesterol are right around the corner. 

Within about 5-10 years several major diseases are going to be effectively treated or controlled including the big C and some renegerative therapies for vision.  This is anti-aging as well.

About the same time, there will be several new drugs that effectively target other factors of aging such as frailty and sarcopenia.  There are also likely to be several drugs that target 3 pathways - sirtuins, mTOR and insulin signalling.   A group of drugs to recharge stem cells is possible as well.

A little further out will be genetic targets like telomerase and real regenerative stem cell therapies.

All of these are extending therapies but none wil lbe able to completely stop aging and reverse it for probably 30-50 years

• Casey likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Sometimes, I'd like to think the panacea of all anti-aging cures will arrive in the form of a very last-minute injection to my arm as I lie in my deathbed, mere moments from finally falling into the cold abyss of death.

Life has a way of turning out in the way you least expect it.

• Italian Ufo, Roh234, hiraeth and 1 other like this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

how do you think the processing power of computers will affect the emerging technologies like anti aging or ai, nanotech etc....

In my rather uneducated opinion, a full cure to aging might not come for another 100+ years; however, we might very well begin successfully slowing down the aging process for humans within the next several decades.

• Zeitgeist123 likes this

Omosoap

Omosoap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

I'm an optimist in the sense that I have hope most days, but I'm a pessimist in the sense that I try to prepare my mind for the worst case scenario, and in my own life, I have to be cautious, cuz my mind often goes to the worst case scenario naturally, in different anxiety producing situations. Most days, I fluctuate between optimism and pessimism many times throughout the day, depending on the information I'm exposed to. Then, when I get depression, that adds a whole new level to pessimism. But, the odd thing is even in the midst of this I keep going, and so that indicates I must have hope or something....So, yeah, I'm complicated I guess. It's hard to explain.

Souma

Souma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationEarth

On a real anti-aging drug, or treatment, or whatever you call it, I'd say 40 or 50 years. This isn't taking into account anything but the pure medicine. It's ignoring AI growth, Cybernetic enhancements, and the like.

Of course it's incredibly hard for us to look at things exponentially, so i could be entirely off, but if i honestly had to suggest a time frame that would be it.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

- Eleanor Roosevelt

nikkisixx101

nikkisixx101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

The "anti-aging" scientists sound pretty confident when you watch them talk on their video's. I certainly hope they are right.

Omosoap

Omosoap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Sorry, somehow my computer glitched or my eyes did, and I posted the above comment in the wrong section. Whoops!

JamieKnightOnline

JamieKnightOnline

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm currently 35. Can we assume that as long as I earn enough money that by the time I'm 80 I will look and feel like I'm... 35?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Well, it is easy, given enough time, we'll get to the point all of us are going to die while looking 35 or even younger.

But of course, the eternal optimist in me says we will cure aging before some of us will die.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

nikkisixx101

nikkisixx101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Considering I am 34, I hope so jamie, haha.

MissKaioshin

MissKaioshin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I think it's a very long way off. I'm 31 and I don't expect anti-aging to happen in my lifetime. I just continue to operate under the assumption that I've got a maximum of 40-50 years and that's it. That means that I don't expect anti-aging medicine to happen before the 2050s or 2060s. People forget that biology is incredibly complex and there's so much we don't know. We're nowhere close. And the first generation to benefit from longevity escape velocity probably hasn't even been born yet. For those of us alive today (and yes this includes those of you who are teenagers), you were just plain born too early. At least, that should be the default assumption that you have about the world. Nobody should be expecting anti-aging right now. As it stands, it's still pure sci-fi. 

You know what Ol' MissKaioshin says at a time like this? At times like this, MissKaioshin just says..."Whatevs"

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
Should AI get involved, it would definitely be much closer. As we've already seen with some things. Yes, I'm referring to the flatworm thing.

There is another way to stop aging— dip yourself into a pool of liquid nitrogen.

In all seriousness, I don't know what we plan to achieve with biological immortality that we wouldn't have (and better) with cybernetics.

I'm 20. Let's say MissK is right and biological immortality isn't happening for another century. By the time I'm 40, dying will be an option. It would just be the less miserable option.
The only thing stopping us from living to 150 is our own bodies. After your heart pumps a billion times, it gives out. What if you have an artificial heart? Your life is extended. However, you need more than just that.

Still, by 2035, cybernetic prosthetics will be at that level that we could replace vital organs. For me, that's enough. Keep my brain oxygenated, and I'll live until 2194 easily. Whether I have any surviving brain cells by then— eh. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I don't know what would otherwise have killed me, though if I had to guess, it would have been cancer. I bet it would appear in 2039, 2040. And if the world stopped this year, I'd be done by 2045.

Is this accurate? I don't know. In all honesty, I'm being pessimistic since all males in my family (save my father) have had cancer, but it only appeared in their 50s. I don't turn 50 until late 2044. My dad will, in all honesty, be the first to whoop cancer's ass since he had me young.

The point is, I doubt I'll care about anti-aging, even if it takes 100 years to materialize.
  • Casey, PrimordialBeing, That-Guy and 2 others like this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

sasuke2490

sasuke2490

veteran gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

if we can get a breakthrough in ai then things get unpredictable, but how long it takes to get down to us will be debatable.

https://www.instagc.com/scorch9722

Use my link for free steam wallet codes if you want

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

These days I so wish I could look 16-19.  I really wish I lived my youth ( despite i am still young) in a different matter, but most of all I wish I was pain free. For me to defeat aging means to be pain free. life is way too short and people respect less for some aspect when you are older. You can make less mistakes, yo have to be too responsible.

Then again I ask myself about our minds if we manage to live longer, how do we relate and cope with young generations? we may look just like them but would you date 20 years old girl when you look young as her  but you have been living for 300 years? will society inter-mix between new and old generations?

I don't know, i believe that marginalization may take place in this type of society. I can easily see a  banner out of a door reading "if you are over 120 you are not allowed in".

My anxiety is that even if we reach longevity and wealth, we may still not be happy for many things and our longevity dream may not be what we exactly hoped for. I only wish that I am wrong tho but you have to be there to see.

Rainbow Frog

Rainbow Frog

Password Scrambled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationRemember me fondly!

There is another way to stop aging— dip yourself into a pool of liquid nitrogen.

I'm skeptical about cryonics. The only way I think it could work is like the way they do it in the Halo franchise. People are put into an artificial coma and injected with a drug that prevents ice crystals from forming in your cells. Then they cool you down significantly to stop bodily decay and depress organ functions. For all intents and purposes you are in an un-aging dreamless coma. If you could find a drug to stop cellular destruction after cooling yourself then I think it might be able to work (of course nanobots could preform a similar function), doing it now is suicide. 

"Infomation death" or whatever they call it has not a single shred of scientific evidence to it's name and I think it is probably impossible to revive someone who has been frozen after they die, but it is likely you could preserve someone in stasis indefinitely.

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway. 
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway. 
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway. 
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. 
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway. 
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. Think big anyway. 
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway. 
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway. 
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them. Help people anyway. 
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.

tygrus

tygrus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

You have to understand that anti aging is a series of bridges to technology we don't have right now.   If you are 25 or 35 or even 45 the first thing is lifestyle and diet, exercise  and some moderate supplementation.

The most promising life extending work is in the area of diseases like cancer.     More people are surviving and the work in immunotherapy is pointing to a universal cancer vaccine some day, likely 10-15yrs from now.     Cancer has to be beaten for life extension of any kind to occur.  The next area that needs tackling is Alzheimers but that is usually late on-set past 65 or into your 80s.   The progress around heart disease is astounding with some of the new cholesterol drugs coming.  Just cancer cure alone would add 3 years to liespan, so all in all these advances could bring an extra decade of healthy life.

The next step would be to take a leap of faith into some of the compounds that perhaps don`t have proof of life extension yet, but ancillary evidence  delaying the diseases of old age.   These are lumped into 3 pathways, Sirtuins, AMPK and mTOR.    These are the current focus of the next bridge and quite a bit of work has happened and I wouldn`t be surprised in the next 5 years there is a confirmed supplement in one or all of these areas.  These could give another 10 years of healthy life.

The next bridge is something more akin to stem cell rejuvenation, organ regeneration, gene therapy, telomerase.  There is work happening but most of these involve injecting live cells into the body so its very cautious work compared to drugs that you can just stop taking.   A lot of this is still 25 years out from being mainstream.

And the final process would be an overall reprogramming of the body to halt or radically delay any of these conditions.  This involves knowing the genome perfectly and we are ways off from that, not 100 years but could be closer to 50.

• Casey, Souma and Spacehawk like this

Rolletroll

Rolletroll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
In m'y life-time :D (I'm 20)

Rolletroll

Rolletroll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Death is unavoidable. We will still die by accident or illness. And we don't know what's beyond. Nothingness? A better world? A place in the eternity near a revealed god? The true goal of the biological immortality for me is the possibility to live a spectacular life and travel in Time and history, and avoid some potential decades of illness.

JamieKnightOnline

JamieKnightOnline

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well they reckon that once we cure the usual reasons for death you will still hit a radiation particle buildup in the body and brain after 3000 years. However, I suppose if they figure out a way to transfer consciousness then that need not be an issue. All the more reason to inhabit every rock in the solar system population is going to go nuts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aging, upload, nano, tech, ai, moores law

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users