Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

First Mech Duel to Take Place Next Year! (USA vs Japan)

Entertainment Giant Robot Mech Robot Combat

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Truly futuristic entertainment... seems like it could be fun.

• Casey, Yuli Ban, Unity and 1 other like this

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yep.

EDIT!

Japan Accepts

It's on: Team Japan accepts US challenge to a giant robot duel

The US might have just beaten Japan at soccer in the Women's World Cup, but the Japanese are already moving onto another great sport: giant robot fighting. Japanese company Suidobashi Heavy Industry has accepted the challenge from US rival MegaBots Inc. to a giant robot duel, with Suidobashi founder Kogoro Kurata saying: "Yeah, I'll fight. Absolutely." Kurata, who designed and built Suidobashi's 4-ton mech robot, said: "We can't let another country win this. Giant robots are Japanese culture."
Unfortunately, neither Suidobashi nor MegaBots has offered any more details about when or where the duel might take place (MegaBots' original challenge suggested a vague date of a year from now). But hopefully, the two teams will follow through at least to some degree. Kurata's response to MegaBots' challenge also upped the stakes, with the Japanese designer asking if the duel can be fought as a physical melee rather than with the MegaBot Mark II's paintball guns. "My reaction?" says Kurata in the video. "Come on guys, make it cooler. Just building something huge and sticking guns on it. It's ... Super American."
To which the correct response is: yes, yes it is.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Mute

Mute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I'll be honest, if the Future ends up looking like something out of an anime, I'll be pleased.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
Only reminds me that I have my gothy chibi gynoid waifu...

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Okay... just need to comment on this. 

Japan wants this to be melee. USica wants guns.

Anyone noticing something...?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I'll be honest, if the Future ends up looking like something out of an anime, I'll be pleased.

Or something out of MechWarrior, that'll be great too. :)

Of course, with the exception of grisly deaths of millions and cities completely obliterated to their foundations.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

That doesn't exactly seem very safe. To make it safe for people to pilot both machines they are going to have to put on a lot of restrictions and stuff. So no real guns, no ripping off the enemies robot arm and beating them with it, not flying jump kicks.

Eterion

Eterion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe

You could always use remote control instead of pilot. Then you can just go wild.

Something like Real Steel, but cooler.

• Zaphod, nomad and BasilBerylium like this

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

So, the battle is now scheduled for streaming on twitch at 7:00 PM PT on October 17th (04:00 CEST October 18th).

The event itself already took place with no spectators. The whole thing lasted several days with repairs between rounds.

https://www.theverge...am-watch-twitch

Could be worth a look? Now I'm pretty much expecting this to be dull, but might as well cheer for the Japanese.

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I'm betting Japan is going to win this one. I mean, the American robot looks a tad bit unsteady on its caterpillar tracks. All Kuratas has to do is to give it a small swipe from the side... and it'll be a time for a tumbling down to the ground.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

So Japan won the first round and America won the second round to actually win the game. 

And it was shit. My god, it was quite possible the most shit thing I've seen in years.

Just... wow. You talk about a letdown? Two years of hype ended in a cacophony of ass suckage.

Butcha know what? We still won. USA USA USA!

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I'm betting Japan is going to win this one. I mean, the American robot looks a tad bit unsteady on its caterpillar tracks. All Kuratas has to do is to give it a small swipe from the side... and it'll be a time for a tumbling down to the ground.

My prediction was spot-on at least for the 1st round - well, except Kurata just shoved Megabot tumbling backwards rather than swiping from the side. :)

I don't know what the American engineers were thinking when they designed that small tank tread base under a massive body chassis? Don't they know anything about center of gravity?

But the 2nd round was.... let's say... interesting. It wouldn't say it was a clear-cut victory they claim it to be although the Megabot made it more dramatic by trying to knock the stacked cars off, probably as an "intimidation tactic". One thing, I'd like to add though, is that America does make better guns. :)

In all things considering, it wasn't a bad start to a new form of sport - gigantic robot battle competition. I'm sure it's gonna become more lucrative and entertaining in the decades to come, perhaps replacing the NFL with its growing CTE issues which might ultimately cancel it. The robots are gonna get more vicious and dynamic when more money pours into the burgeoning sport. Honestly, I'd rather watch menacing robots savagely shred one another into an oily gory than two teams of tiny humans running around and simply banging into each other.

Wouldn't you be more fascinated by the idea of gigantic robots controlled by AI trying to outsmart each other using their existing repertoire of weapons and unique traits? We'll definitely see tactics even the most experienced fighters haven't even thought of.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Wouldn't you be more fascinated by the idea of gigantic robots controlled by AI trying to outsmart each other using their existing repertoire of weapons and unique traits? We'll definitely see tactics even the most experienced fighters haven't even thought of.

Yes, I would be more fascinated. That's what this should've been.

It's a terrible problem, I think, and it extends beyond just entertainment. Pop media says that giant robots will be piloted— mecha anime always has those angsty teenagers with rainbow-colored hair, remember? Pop media says that interstellar travel will be manned, with massive space fleets traversing the galaxy, and that colonizing other planets will involve a relatively traditional colony set-up. 

Pop media also says that you can fire a machine gun nonstop as long as you have enough ammo and that a person struck by a revolver bullet will be sent flying. Neither of those things being anywhere near the truth. None of it's true; it's just easier to understand for entertainment because real life tends to be pretty crappy. 

The masses want a gladiatorial sort of fight, no-holds-barred mecha action where the safety of the pilots is not guaranteed. At worst, have one of them safely parachute out while the other stands victorious on the opposing mech's body as jets fly over and hot women caress the victor. No really, that's what a classmate of mind thought would actually happen. 

I never expected that, but even my lower expectations could not be met. 

Yeah, it's the start of a new sport. Just like if, during the first ever game of basketball in the early 1890s, the ball deflated on the first pass and two of the players were chased by ducks.

It definitely has a world for improvement, because this particular event was pretty lame. If it does become a multibillion dollar industry, it'll be through mega-automatons duking it out in special high-octane rings, not two awkward walking cars lightly bumping each other so as to keep their occupants safe. It was as controlled and faux-dangerous as post-grunge.

But the cold fact is that the masses want there to be pilots. It's not the same if it's two computers, even if the action's always more intense.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Entertainment, Giant Robot, Mech, Robot Combat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users