Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

OLED TV

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Edited by Nick1984, 30 January 2012 - 12:36 PM.

• jjf3 likes this

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
http://www.engadget....to-ces/?m=false

Posted Image

LG let us know at CES 2011 that it had 4K LCD televisions in the pipeline, but unfortunately they didn't make it out this year. Expect for that to change in 2012, as the company just announced it's bringing an 84-inch "ultra definition" (3840x2160) TV to Las Vegas to go along with its 55-inch OLED. It has all of LG's Cinema 3D and Smart TV features built-in, including support for that upgraded Magic Motion remote and voice control. There's no official word yet on when we'll see these on shelves or at what price, but it certainly looks production ready compared to other prototypes that have been displayed over the years. While we don't have easy sources of 4K-res video content yet, one of the reasons LG is making the jump first is for 3D. Its Cinema 3D tech uses a Film Pattern Retarder (FPR) screen and passive glasses that result in lowered resolution, but with those extra pixels there's no question about whether viewers are still getting at least an HD picture. So far 4K at home is the domain of Sony and JVC's high-priced projectors, but we'll see if any other companies (we'll check off Toshiba right now) show off upgrades in size and resolution of their HDTVs this year. Check the press release after the break for a few more details.

Edited by Nick1984, 29 December 2011 - 05:34 PM.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
LG OLED TV

http://hdguru3d.com/...y-55-inch-oled/

Screen diameter: 54.6 inch
Contrast ratio: 100,000,000 to 1
Refresh rate: 0.1 microseconds
Depth: 4mm
Weight: 7.4kg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nick1984, 01 January 2012 - 12:02 PM.

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
Great thread this came fast, I still remember all the hype surrounding last year's. Wish I could go, maybe next year :-)
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
I'd love to see that OLED TV in person, it'll be a couple of years before they become affordable.

NGC 5195

NGC 5195

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Have they fixed the 5 year lifespan thing?

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Locationlondon

I'd love to see that OLED TV in person, it'll be a couple of years before they become affordable.

Yeah, I;ll get one around 2015, replacing my current old 42inch LCD tv set.
My computer monitor is good, ultra slim, 7mm and energy efficient, using only 17W, my old monitor used around 45W. If OELD TVs are as efficient. they'll sell like hot cakes.
  • wjfox likes this
It's dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-16469003
  • Craven likes this

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
Samsung's 'future-proof' voice-controlled television

A "smart" internet-connected television that has the ability to have its hardware upgraded every year has been unveiled by Samsung.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-16480712

Edited by GNR Rvolution, 10 January 2012 - 12:35 PM.

All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
Ubuntu Wants to be Television Operating System:

At this stage, Canonical’s “TV for human beings” is mostly an aspiration to see manufacturers incorporate the software as part of their smart television developments to bind together TV, PVR, cloud and content streamed from the Internet and smartphones under one interface.

http://news.techworl...h-google-apple/

Does Ubuntu have a chance to succeed where all others have miserably failed? I personally think it will be a tough battle between Apple and Ubuntu. I just don't see Google TV working out in the long run. Many tech analysts have already written it off.

Edited by jjf3, 10 January 2012 - 03:14 PM.

"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
OnStar and Verizon Announces 4G LTE Car Network:

Packed to the gills with wireless goodness, the hyper connected pair can stream content from the cloud, share it within the vehicle and communicate with OnStar's RemoteLink app. But that's not even the best part, as Skype video calling -- between car to computer and even car to car -- is now a go. Video proof and PR await after the break.

http://www.engadget....e-with-verizon/

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
Mercedes Launches In Car Social Network Powered By Facebook:

Mercedes-Benz drivers will soon be able to access a list of friends in the neighbourhood and check out local restaurants that they 'like' from the comfort of their dashboard after the motor company announced plans to install a Facebook service into its cars.

http://www.corpcomms...acebook-service

So Nick Forgot to add social Cars to the list of what will be big at CES 2012 this year. I just added two posts about various up coming car social networks. This is even talked about vaguely on the timeline. 2015 I believe? Looks like another prediction right on track.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
I have to admit I'm still baffled by some of the social networking 'innovations' that go on. Maybe I'm starting to be of the wrong generation but why would I want to be able to see what friends live in the neighbourhood I am in, surely I already know where my friends live? Assuming that they are talking about people who are constantly updating their location via facebook (or other site) so you can spot friends out-and-about, is it really likely that they are already doing something and you just showing up might not be welcome. Sounds ideal for stalkers, especially those of the motorised kind... And if you want to check out the local restaurants why do you need your car to do this? You would need to pull over to access it, and if you are doing this why not whip out your smartphone and do it that way? And the same goes for Skype video calling? Man I must be getting too old for this shit...

Edited by GNR Rvolution, 10 January 2012 - 05:04 PM.

All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Just desperate attempts at coming up with new fancy things. Next step - marketing experts will attempt to convince people that this is cool and you really need it.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
@GNR, For the first part I agree. My Dad owns his own chain of auto stores (which does not include the fancy electronics) he says if cars keep going they way they are all the systems will be computers in 50 years besides for the very basics. He has to go back to school every few years just to keep up on the technology in cars. But as he always says, it's just more stuff to break. Now as for your second part, I don't agree that you should whip out your phone to text, check for nearest stores, and least of all video chat?! You shouldn't be doing this stuff on the road at all or you should do it before you leave. This is how accidents happen.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

@GNR,

For the first part I agree. My Dad owns his own chain of auto stores (which does not include the fancy electronics) he says if cars keep going they way they are all the systems will be computers in 50 years besides for the very basics. He has to go back to school every few years just to keep up on the technology in cars. But as he always says, it's just more stuff to break.

Now as for your second part, I don't agree that you should whip out your phone to text, check for nearest stores, and least of all video chat?! You shouldn't be doing this stuff on the road at all or you should do it before you leave. This is how accidents happen.

That's why I said you would need to pull over to do this, but you would need to do that with any onboard equivalent?

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

That's why I said you would need to pull over to do this, but you would need to do that with any onboard equivalent?

Not if its voice controlled. Depends on the person driving.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.newscient...et-big-sho.html Now that's more like it

Immortal

Immortal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
This will lead to mirrors with integrated computers. You know, the ones who can play music, go online and check your breath to see if you are sick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users