Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Energy & Environmental News and Discussions

climate change energy environment renewable energy nuclear energy fossil fuels fusion energy global warming sustainability solar energy

• Please log in to reply
5592 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon
This thread is for general news and discussions on the environment, global warming, sustainability, energy and green issues.

Let's try to avoid trolling and personal insults. Thanks.

globe_west_540.jpg

Solar is the “Fastest Growing Industry in America” and Made Record Cost Reductions in 2010

By Climate Guest Blogger on Sep 16, 2011 at 11:44 am

The U.S. solar industry grew 102% last year and is on track to grow another 100% this year. What other industry doubled its growth during one of the worst economic periods in our history?

Read more -- http://thinkprogress...ost-reductions/

Screen-shot-2011-09-16-at-11.01.00-AM.pn

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
The innovation of the Japan wind power should help that industry too. Wind power is more like indirect solar power, since everything is powered by the sun.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon
that is encouraging, hopefully nonrenewable;e energy might catch up in US.
It's dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Is such growth sustainable, are there realistic projections about where solar will be in 10-20 years?
~Jon

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

The UK is set to miss climate change targets it is legally bound to meet, according to an independent analysis.

Posted Image

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-14949188

Don't know how we can miss the Climate Change Target from 2008.
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

Is such growth sustainable, are there realistic projections about where solar will be in 10-20 years?

On current trends, solar PV will fall below $1 per watt by 2026.

http://www.futuretim...29.htm#solar-pv

In other words, you could buy a complete rooftop system for about $5,000 (£3,000), and this would last you 20-25 years. You could even sell excess power back to the grid and actually make a profit.

Japan intends to make 100% of new buildings solar powered by 2030.

alonzo-ny

alonzo-ny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

The innovation of the Japan wind power should help that industry too.

Wind power is more like indirect solar power, since everything is powered by the sun.

...which is in turn powered by me.

This is good news. I've always said growth in renewables will be exponential. A sort of Moore's Law (to steal Will's comparison)

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Sea ice cover in the Arctic in 2011 has passed its annual minimum, reaching the second-lowest level since satellite records began, US scientists say.

Posted Image
The minimum level of cover is far below the average of 1979-2000.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-14945773

We'll have to stop Global Warming in the near future otherwise we'll have weird weather all over the world.
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon
I'm reading "The Future History of the Arctic" at the moment and it's fascinating. The Arctic will be of massive geopolitical importance in the coming years, as oil and gas supplies become available for extraction that were previously inaccessible. There's going to be huge conflict over the routes/territories in the region.

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
Will the Canadians be able to hold onto their claim that the waters between their Arctic islands are internal waters?

I hope so, but I have a soft spot for Canada.

Apparently Denmark is going to try to challenge Russia for the North Pole (the nearest land to the North Pole is an island off Danish Greenland)

Canada vs the world for the Northwest Passage, Denmark vs Russia for the Pole... well... I'm no geopolitical strategist or military general, but I'm pretty sure I can guess who'll win in those fights.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

We'll have to stop Global Warming in the near future otherwise we'll have weird weather all over the world.

Already starting to happen, what with all the big storms like the tsunamis and hurricanes. Sure, they happen normally, but not at the rate that we've seen them lately. When you have big hurricanes that cause serious damage and flooding, and tsunamis such as the one in China that caused reactor failure, it's hard to say that it hasn't already happened. I've said it before, but I feel we're starting to see a shift in weather patterns due to extreme weather. Areas that are used to cold weather are now getting warmer, and warmer areas are getting colder, etc.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Innsertnamehere

Innsertnamehere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Looks like your prediction that solar power would become affordable in 2010 came true. I have seen a massive explosion of solar panels around where I live in the last 2 years.

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

The exponential growth of photovoltaic power is remarkably predictable, doubling every two years for the past twenty years. In about 20 years, solar power will be cheap enough to fuel the entire world's energy needs.

Posted Image
  • wjfox likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon
^ That graph is so awesome. I hope the trend continues. :cool:

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Interesting indeed. This seems to be directly at odds with some of the more pessimistic opinions around here about energy fulfilment in the next few decades! It will be interesting to see if the next twenty years mirror the last twenty in terms of this exponential growth.
~Jon

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon
It's important to remember though that solar is nowhere near as efficient, versatile or energy-dense as fossil fuels. I'm still very skeptical that we'll make it through the energy crisis (though the timeline assumes we will, somehow)...

Innsertnamehere

Innsertnamehere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Well the timeline has too, otherwise it would end in 40 years, and it would suck to read about the fall of mankind.

Innsertnamehere

Innsertnamehere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Already starting to happen, what with all the big storms like the tsunamis and hurricanes. Sure, they happen normally, but not at the rate that we've seen them lately. When you have big hurricanes that cause serious damage and flooding, and tsunamis such as the one in China that caused reactor failure, it's hard to say that it hasn't already happened. I've said it before, but I feel we're starting to see a shift in weather patterns due to extreme weather. Areas that are used to cold weather are now getting warmer, and warmer areas are getting colder, etc.

That was in japan, but I completely agree with you about the weather. Though earthquakes aren't a part of global warming, so....

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
We got 3 major floods around here last summer, also tornadoes were very rare untill now. And generally spring and fall shrinked so much it pretty much feels like it's only summer and winter each year. It's kinda like in Monty Python :p
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
We should also have commercially available fusion power in the next couple of decades or so. This number might be wrong because my memory's a little hazy, but I think it would only take 8 gallons of water undergoing nuclear fusion a day to power the current amount of energy the United States uses.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: climate change, energy, environment, renewable energy, nuclear energy, fossil fuels, fusion energy, global warming, sustainability, solar energy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users