Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The Star Trek thread

star trek

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

A thread for all things Star Trek! :)

First, some totally brilliant news about a new Star Trek TV series coming in 2017!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-34704082

:biggrin:

TSM

TSM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationThe good old USA

OK, I'll start with a big one.  In the Star Trek franchise warp drive (Faster than Light travel) is invented in 2063, about 50 years from now.  But in the Future Timeline it's predicted to happen more like 1million years from now.  

Personally I think somewhere in between the 2 is more likely.  Exactly where though I couldn't say.  

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'd put warp technology sometime in the 2100s, although admittedly that's essentially a guess. I just can't see most of the technology we imagine not being feasible by that point in the future. I think probably a lot of the predictions on the timeline will come much sooner than we think. 

• Time_Traveller likes this

tygrus

tygrus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

I don't know how they can improve the concept in a new tv series.   New ship and crew some vague tech, some troublesome races to contend with, exploring the galaxy.   Its kind of all done before.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationRussia

I don't know how they can improve the concept in a new tv series.   New ship and crew some vague tech, some troublesome races to contend with, exploring the galaxy.   Its kind of all done before.

There is even more interesting thing: how can they "improve" the concept of future society? In the old good Star Trek (i mean TNG) it was the pure communism, if not by name then by spirit... something really amazing for Western sci-fi. I suspect they'll "fix" this issue one way or another. Other hand, they can add some (a lot of) gays and lesbians in a crew... :)

• Unity likes this

TSM

TSM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

There is even more interesting thing: how can they "improve" the concept of future society? In the old good Star Trek (i mean TNG) it was the pure communism, if not by name then by spirit... something really amazing for Western sci-fi. I suspect they'll "fix" this issue one way or another. Other hand, they can add some (a lot of) gays and lesbians in a crew... :)

I agree.  If they had an openly Gay crew member, and nobody, not even other alien races cared, that would be a very good thing.  

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,174 posts

The thing about "troublesome races" is that it is a good way to introduce new themes and topics.  Personally, I think there are a lot of topics that can be aproached from a fresh perspective.  Many of them can be derived just from a reading of topics on this forum. Examples include:

1. Transhumanism.

2. The possiblility of artificial intelligence displacing human will.

3. The idea of robots being deployed for selective attacks on an alien races and the moral implications of such actions.

4. Robots taking over most functions of our economy.  What might that look like?

5. Although parallel universes in other dimensions have been touched upon in earlier Star Trek episodes, I think there is still a lot more that can be done on this theme.

6. Star Trek never really did much in regards to how humanity might terraform Mars, or at least otherwise colonise that planet. For that matter, other planets and moons in the solar system.

7. Now that we are developing our understanding of specific planets, why not have an Enterprise explore some of those planets, or at least take advantage of some of the unlikely environments that are being discovered?

Etc.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,437 posts

I'm not going to ruin everyone's fun, but I personally just did not enjoy the movies very much because they seemed more like action-adventurey full of explosions and stuff to draw in a large audience (the producer of the movies will also produce the show) and there is nothing wrong with that however, for myself the draw of star trek was always the ability to take a look at our own society through a sort of mirror and see both the unspoken contradictions in our own behavior and how things could be different.  With each generation shows must morph and change as social emphasis on the needs of the times morph and change, but there just seem to be less venues in general for thoughtful reflective series that are entertaining and enrich the audience and that makes me a little sad.  Hopefully that niche will be filled in time as well.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Unfortunately the new Star Trek is only going to be offered on CBS's paid app, called CBS All Access.  They're going with the drug dealer business model.  The first episode will be "free" on the normal CBS channel, but all future episodes will be on CBS All Access, which currently costs $5.99/mo.  My money is on this new Star Trek holding the dubious distinction of being the most pirated show on earth.

• wjfox and Infinite like this

The only thing we ever want is more

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

If I could write a star trek series pitch it would be Star Trek: Eugenics Wars.

Star trek did great things for imagining a complex future with ideas about how we grew past where we are now but that didn't mean an end to struggles and things to work for.

But I'm more interested now in the ideas of seeing a compelling story of how we get from here to there and how we break the back of many of todays biggest problems and the mistakes we make along the way.

• Unity likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

TSM

TSM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

If I could write a star trek series pitch it would be Star Trek: Eugenics Wars.

Star trek did great things for imagining a complex future with ideas about how we grew past where we are now but that didn't mean an end to struggles and things to work for.

But I'm more interested now in the ideas of seeing a compelling story of how we get from here to there and how we break the back of many of todays biggest problems and the mistakes we make along the way.

Although it isn't exactly what you're talking about, this is one of the reasons I like Star Trek Enterprise so much.  In Enterprise, Earth wasn't a member state of a gigantic United Federation of Planets.  We were on our own out there with no one completely reliable watching our backs.  Of course that changed a bit as the series progressed, and in the end you saw the foundations of the Federation being created, but it put a new twist on the Star Trek concept that I found enjoyable.  

Season 3 of Enterprise is arguably the best season of any Star Trek series.  Not the best individual episodes mind you, but taken as a whole, the best season.

future-me

future-me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

6. Star Trek never really did much in regards to how humanity might terraform Mars, or at least otherwise colonise that planet. For that matter, other planets and moons in the solar system.

Mars

Utopia Planitia is established in 2069, and large scale colonisation in the early 2100's. There is a terraforming process in place by the 2150's including redirecting comets towards the poles. (As seen in ST:E)

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationWherever Alien Observer by Grouper could be played.

For the first time I've started watching star trek. I'm starting with TNG, and I'm still trying to make it through season 1.

• Unity likes this
Everything is predefined.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I know many consider it blasphemy, but for my money Deep Space 9 was a much more thought provoking series.

Original Trek was fairly transparent allagorical fairy tales. Always a one shot story where they bend the story to meet the moral they are trying to spell out to the audience.

TNG does a better job in my mind of realistic 'world building' with less black and white, complex social commentary on topics like sexual relations and identity, privacy and security balance. But it didn't sacrifice the universe or a good adventure story to make a moral point, instead allowing occasional moral points or thought experiments to play out as a consequence of a good story. All in a techno optimistic vision that still believed there is always a solution and as long as you have the right tech and/or all the information you can make things better.

Deep space nine- Carries a bit of a legacy of the previous two in that it builds a 'world' that is complex and multi cultured, with rich exploration of the implications of different cultural models and how they interact at the points they intersect. It's taken further because it's not just one homogenous Federation vessel, it's like the ancient trading cities of the past. But even more than the previous series it examines the moral implications of the choices taken, and the beauty of it for me is they almost never seem to take the stance of telling you something about the moral implications. They predominantly just ask the questions.

they explore ideas about how sometimes, in order to forward a noble cause, you have to do ignoble things. Sometimes things that seem to deny civil right to other populations are the parts of those populations self identity to a degree that they feel victimized when you 'liberate them' from those things, and asks where the line is and how maybe you need to know what other societies want before you decide what they should have.

And DS9 is not afraid to express the ideas that sometimes the problem is technology, and knowledge. And sometimes you can do everything right and still fail. Good people suffer, not because of failures but because there was simply no other possible outcome possible in the circumstances.

It was the gritty realistic tint over the still present TNG star trek future of possibilities that made it more impactful to me.

• Unity likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

:( :( :(

Anton Yelchin, Star Trek's Chekov, killed by his own car

Anton Yelchin, the Russian-born actor who played Chekov in the new Star Trek films, has been killed by his own car at his home in Los Angeles, police say.

The vehicle struck him after rolling backwards down the drive at his Studio City home, pinning him against a brick postbox pillar and a security fence.

Police did not say why he was behind the car at the time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-36572649

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,437 posts

I know many consider it blasphemy, but for my money Deep Space 9 was a much more thought provoking series.

Original Trek was fairly transparent allagorical fairy tales. Always a one shot story where they bend the story to meet the moral they are trying to spell out to the audience.

TNG does a better job in my mind of realistic 'world building' with less black and white, complex social commentary on topics like sexual relations and identity, privacy and security balance. But it didn't sacrifice the universe or a good adventure story to make a moral point, instead allowing occasional moral points or thought experiments to play out as a consequence of a good story. All in a techno optimistic vision that still believed there is always a solution and as long as you have the right tech and/or all the information you can make things better.

Deep space nine- Carries a bit of a legacy of the previous two in that it builds a 'world' that is complex and multi cultured, with rich exploration of the implications of different cultural models and how they interact at the points they intersect. It's taken further because it's not just one homogenous Federation vessel, it's like the ancient trading cities of the past. But even more than the previous series it examines the moral implications of the choices taken, and the beauty of it for me is they almost never seem to take the stance of telling you something about the moral implications. They predominantly just ask the questions.

they explore ideas about how sometimes, in order to forward a noble cause, you have to do ignoble things. Sometimes things that seem to deny civil right to other populations are the parts of those populations self identity to a degree that they feel victimized when you 'liberate them' from those things, and asks where the line is and how maybe you need to know what other societies want before you decide what they should have.

And DS9 is not afraid to express the ideas that sometimes the problem is technology, and knowledge. And sometimes you can do everything right and still fail. Good people suffer, not because of failures but because there was simply no other possible outcome possible in the circumstances.

It was the gritty realistic tint over the still present TNG star trek future of possibilities that made it more impactful to me.

I really agree with your analysis and I really enjoyed the show.  It was competing in the "information space" against Babylon 5 at the time and if you haven't seen that then I definitely recommend it.  I am loathe to compare the two series, but I think elements of each were incorporated into the other.  The biggest criticism I have seen of DS9 from most Trek fans is that the show was too "spiritual" with Sisko as the divine prophet sort of figure and to some extent I can sympathize with those concerns.  The thing I liked about TNG in particular was that it was more "mystic" in some ways for example the episode where they go to warp 10 and the implications  (philosophical or otherwise) of being able to travel anywhere instantaneously.  Also, there was a certain kind of "innocence" about it that perhaps came from the early 90s where we had this great feeling of perhaps post-Soviet(?) vistory and that the world was finally coming into order and so principles and idealism could rule the day.   The many ethical/social/and other implications of the very personal Mr. Data.  I will say one thing for TNG.  They predicted sexbots at least 10 years before transhumanism started to become a thing which is quite impressive.  

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

:( :( :(

Anton Yelchin, Star Trek's Chekov, killed by his own car

Anton Yelchin, the Russian-born actor who played Chekov in the new Star Trek films, has been killed by his own car at his home in Los Angeles, police say.

The vehicle struck him after rolling backwards down the drive at his Studio City home, pinning him against a brick postbox pillar and a security fence.

Police did not say why he was behind the car at the time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-36572649

RIP Yelchin, One of the best actors in the new Star Trek and non-Trek.

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,437 posts

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

Star Trek: title and teaser for new TV series

23 Jul 2016 - 23:30

Here's some breaking news from San Diego Comic-Con: Bryan Fuller's new Star Trek TV series is going by the title Star Trek: Discovery. This first look teaser clip has also been released, confirming that 'Discovery' is the name of the new ship at the centre of the show.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek...r-new-tv-series

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star trek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users