Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The Star Trek thread

star trek

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

I love watching random clips from Star Trek.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

New trailer for Discovery:

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,174 posts

One of my favorite Star Trek sites continues to be the one I have linked below.  Active membership is hovering at approximately 0, so at this point it functions more like a time capsule with a lot of thoughtful posts.

http://s8.zetaboards...nTrekkin/index/

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationLondon

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,174 posts

21766509_10154902861193144_2938093528126

• Unity likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

i like last night's episode

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,174 posts

Star Trek and the Future of the Nonprofit Sector

https://nonprofitqua...nprofit-sector/

Introduction:

Let’s face it, the last few months have been brutal. Dealing with the constant threats to communities and to democracy itself has been exhausting and heartbreaking, and many of us have been questioning whether we nonprofits are equipped to respond to current and future challenges. During these dark times, there has been at least one bright light: A new Star Trek show!

When hatred and xenophobia are on the rise, it’s nice to see a universe where diversity is a norm. From the two episodes I’ve seen, the new show, Star Trek: Discovery, is awesome. It’s not without flaws, of course, but this show, and Star Trek itself, paints a hopeful picture that we nonprofits should observe closely. And the Starfleet model in particular is something we should study.

In Star Trek, there are various starships. Each has a different captain and a different mission. However, they are bound together by Starfleet, an organization that supports and coordinates the work of all the ships. Starfleet is big, with multiple departments. There’s Starfleet Academy, which trains officers; Starfleet Command, which provides governance; Starfleet Shipyard, which builds the ships; Starfleet Judge Advocate General, which serves as the judiciary branch, etc.

The nonprofit sector as it exists can be compared to Star Trek, but without many Starfleet-like organizations to coordinate everyone. In Star Trek, there is a Prime Directive that governs Starfleet: Don’t interfere with other civilizations’ development. Our sector, too, has a Prime Directive. Perhaps is it social justice; perhaps it is just making the community better overall. But the way we are organized does not allow us to achieve that Prime Directive effectively. Every organization is expected to do its own HR, finance, evaluation, communications, IT, fundraising, governance, etc. Meanwhile, we compete with one another for resources, and we often have no idea what other nonprofits are doing. It is incredibly inefficient, perpetuates the Nonprofit Hunger Games, screws over grassroots organizations led by marginalized communities, and leaves us scrambling to respond to the horrifying social and political climate bearing down on our community.

After the elections, when the executive orders were destroying families and tearing communities apart, I met with a well-respected nonprofit director of color. He told me he had spent hours on YouTube learning how to make entries in QuickBooks. Another leader of color told me she spent 30 hours writing a grant proposal for $5,000. This is what our sector considers normal: taking visionary leaders and organizations and forcing them to spend half their time on administrative tasks and fundraising. This philosophy is so pervasive that I remember telling a brilliant artist/musician who leads a youth organization to “stop focusing so much time writing songs and poems with kids and spend more time on building infrastructure.”

Ok, maybe this really isn't about Star Trek.  Still,interesting use of Star Trek as a teaser and as an analogy.

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

For the first time I've started watching star trek. I'm starting with TNG, and I'm still trying to make it through season 1.

Stick with it. It gets waaaay better as the seasons progress.
  • rennerpetey likes this

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

I love the original series even though it's pretty cheesy. I'm on the fifth season of TNG now, in a year or so I'll have to find another show to watch over lunch and pass out to. (I watch TV extremely slow by most people's standard. I only watch it when I literally can't be doing anything else--like when I'm eating--or am very exhausted but don't want to go to bed yet.)

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

I love the original series even though it's pretty cheesy. I'm on the fifth season of TNG now, in a year or so I'll have to find another show to watch over lunch and pass out to. (I watch TV extremely slow by most people's standard. I only watch it when I literally can't be doing anything else--like when I'm eating--or am very exhausted but don't want to go to bed yet.)

"Star Trek: Voyager"  Is my favorite series, followed by Deep Space-9, TNG, Enterprise, Original series, and finally Discovery.

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star trek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users