Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Lost genetic history of Inca child mummy

Genetics Inca Argentina 500 years ago

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

12 November 2015

_86656253_image-11-1.jpg

Scientists have unravelled part of the genetic code of a child who was sacrificed in a ritual ceremony by the Inca civilisation 500 years ago.

The boy's mummified remains were discovered on an Argentinean mountain.

Analysis of his mitochondrial DNA, which is passed from mother to child, showed that the boy's closest living relatives are in Peru and Bolivia.

He belonged to a population of native South Americans that almost disappeared after the Spanish conquest.

Researchers in Spain were given permission to extract mitochondrial DNA from the seven-year-old boy to study part of his genome.

By comparing his genetic code with hundreds of thousands of samples held in genetic databases, they found his genetic profile was very rare.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-34798810

• Infinite likes this
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
Maybe a bit out of context, but every time I read something like this, I'm always amazed at the fact that advanced primates are somehow able to decipher something so impossibly complex and miniscule, all due to the gradual power of evolution. :)

Is minic an fhírinne searbh.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Maybe a bit out of context, but every time I read something like this, I'm always amazed at the fact that advanced primates are somehow able to decipher something so impossibly complex and miniscule, all due to the gradual power of evolution. :)

True, Move if needed.

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genetics, Inca, Argentina, 500 years ago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users