Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Expanding FTL? (wjfox HUGE opportunity)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Okay so i look at this site and i see huge potential in terms of business, exposure, awareness, and really just opportunity for we as a community and certainly for wjfox.  I see a blatant stagnation and i am not sure if quite simply it is a lack of resources, time, or ambition on wjfox's and the moderators parts but i have 1 "idea" ,if  you will, which i would love to see come to fruition.

Remember that hopeless plan i had to gather a panel of distinguished scientists? Well, yeah that was stupid considering the scope of my resources. However we as the FTL community have a great resource. That which at times we do not think about but is very valuable and is what allows this site to continue operating. Visitors, numbers, people, members, whatever the hell you want to call it. What can wjfox and FTL as  whole do to capitalize on this simple fact? Interviews.

Was that anticlimactic? Perhaps, but there is real opportunity here because people doing great things like Liz Parrish, Aubrey de Grey, and TONS of other scientists involved in things that interest FTL NEED exposure. We can provide this (wjfox willing).

Now, WITHOUT A MATTER OF A DOUBT, we can get an interview from at least 1 person to start be that an author of science fiction, scientist, engineer,  philanthropist, whoever. 

We can get interviews with leading people and as we get more and more interviews, we can interview more and more "prominent" people. 

A candidate i would suggest would be Liz Parrish because she has done a couple of interviews with people who do not necessarily provide vast exposure.

As for who would conduct those interviews or in what manner, well, of course that is the discretion of your Holiness wjfox. 

Now as a business idea Futuretimeline could sell shirts, mugs, and other trinkets. Now i know some of you may be opposed to "selling out the community" But NO this would give us funds to get more resources for more interviews or even tours of like the spacex factory, the new gigafactory, kingdom tower, or other VERY INTERESTING THINGS! (EDIT: i should clarify when i say interviews and tours i of course mean in a digital video format that would be uploaded to the site. Flying out the community members would be ridiculous. There will be a designated person(s) (wjfox perhaps) who conducts these interviews and tours. Video editors will be required to be professional and what not. A cameraman maybe. That's where a business plan comes in.Hell, it's a business plan in and of itself to bring more exposure to the FTL site.

Disclaimer: Note i am not posting this because i think that "i" would be the best fit for any of the work and pleasure such an endeavor would entail. Although note wjfox i would certainly not be opposed to dedicating myself completely to the task at hand but i make this proposal with the full knowledge that i have limited skills and knowledge and simply want to see FTL become not just a passive observer but a proactive heralder!

YES!  That is the main point for us to be PART OF FUTURE! For us to mold the future. We can do this with the exposure that we have and that we can acquire. There is so much opportunity here that it cannot be overstated.

Perhaps i am overstepping my boundaries and wjfox has thought of this all before or perhaps even attempted such a thing. But is see real possibility and i for one am willing to fly out to england and work for free to see this accomplished. 

Ultimately this is wjfox's site and i do not know his plans or his wishes for the site. Maybe he likes it just the way it is. I certainly want to respect that, as you (wjfox- not the rest of you bums) put in the hard work into making this beautiful site, and i hope i have brought light to what is in my eyes a diamond in the rough.

• wjfox, eacao, ddmkm122 and 4 others like this

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

sasuke2490

sasuke2490

veteran gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

ftl is to sci-fi not enough realism. 

https://www.instagc.com/scorch9722

Use my link for free steam wallet codes if you want

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

ftl is to sci-fi not enough realism. 

FTL here stands for Future Time Line, not Faster Than Light.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,239 posts
Disclaimer: Note i am not posting this because i think that "i" would be the best fit for any of the work and pleasure such an endeavor would entail. Although note wjfox i would certainly not be opposed to dedicating myself completely to the task at hand but i make this proposal with the full knowledge that i have limited skills and knowledge and simply want to see FTL become not just a passive observer but a proactive heralder!

Growing from an online community into an actual movement. I like it.

• FrogCAT likes this

Spoiler

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Growing from an online community into an actual movement. I like it.
Exactly! I should also mention that we have many capable members here who could help with any designs or different things that may be needed. With numbers come different abilities. Of course frugality would be warranted and as such it would be volunteer work.
  • Trexrider32 likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,239 posts

Sasuke2490, that's the exact opposite mindset to your signature.

As I said above, I think he misunderstood what TG was saying and as a result called this forum science fiction.

Spoiler

FrogCAT

FrogCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationA Virtual Worlf

This is actually a really cool idea, It would be so awesome if FTL became a movement!

I'd be totally willing to help out too.

• TranscendingGod likes this

"That's me inside your head."   "I wanna need your love…  I’m a broken rose,   I wanna need your love…"   "And when we fall, we will fall together."

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,239 posts

This is actually a really cool idea, It would be so awesome if FTL became a movement!

I'd be totally willing to help out too.

I just realized how awesome 'FTL' would be as an acronym for a futurist movement!

• ddmkm122, Unity, FrogCAT and 1 other like this

Spoiler

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWherever Alien Observer by Grouper could be played.

We'll need to pool our money into a camera and a microphone with a FTL sticker on the side. Then give it to someone who won't run away with it.

• ddmkm122, Ghostreaper, FrogCAT and 2 others like this
Everything is predefined.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
I agree TG.

I think i spoke to you about it last time and you had even contacted Nikola D already. But who is willing to do the interviews here? I think auditions would be hilarious, but probably not needed.

The site generates enough traffic to be credible.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

We'll need to pool our money into a camera and a microphone with a FTL sticker on the side. Then give it to someone who won't run away with it.

As unprofessional as that sounds it is a start!

• Outlook likes this

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I agree TG.

I think i spoke to you about it last time and you had even contacted Nikola D already. But who is willing to do the interviews here?

The site generates enough traffic to be credible.

Well preferably we would find someone who is comfortable in front of a camera and who is good with people so i suppose we would have to have something that would resemble an audition of sorts. Of course this is all simply speculation without wjfox's blessings. I think that perhaps someone older, maybe even wjfox himself would be a good fit. Someone with a large vocabulary even if it is mostly scripted. We want good representation of a credible site/community so we want someone who is courteous and respectable. 

• Outlook likes this

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

I like this idea TranscendingGod, and I like you too. I'd like to pop up a thread that had some pretty good ideas on the subject:

http://www.futuretim...outube-channel/

Every year, get a video showing which predictions came true, and which didn't, then go into what's happening next year.

Yeah, and you could also feature other futurists on this site for interviews about certain topics (like those with blogs, podcasts, etc.), or collaborate with others on your videos. I see that there are members who are into graphics as well.  :) Mutual exposure for both parties!  :)

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Outlook that post is interesting but it seems not much became of the ideas. Why? Perhaps because there were no true incentives. It was too separate from the identity that is FTL. We need a concrete "identity" and not just be random guys posting interesting stuff. We need to present ourselves as futurists that strive to "create" this better tommorow that we dream about and that we yearn.

I think that there is no better group of people, even with all our differences, to accomplish a goal that while at first may seem a bit superficial or surreal for some, may actually have a profound impact in the long run. Be it on an individual or societal basis.

Basically, we totally gotta do this outlook!

nomad

nomad

The Darkness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Some thoughts/suggestions:

In order to sell merchandise, there must be a brand with content. There IS the timeline, but we need more users and better/more content and perhaps a new type of content. Cross-linking this forum to other relevant places will get us the users we need to generate better/more content. All of our new users seem to start off enthusiastic and then disappear, we need to analyze why this occurs and take at least some small step(s) to stop it.

• wjfox likes this

Cats.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Some thoughts/suggestions:
In order to sell merchandise, there must be a brand with content. There IS the timeline, but we need more users and better/more content and perhaps a new type of content. Cross-linking this forum to other relevant places will get us the users we need to generate better/more content. All of our new users seem to star toff enthusiastic and then disappear, we need to analyze why this occurs and take at least some small step(s) to stop it.

This is where the interviews come in. Original, entertaining, and education content is within our reach. Then there are the suggestions in the post that outlook linked. So much we can do.

To start, if wjfox agrees, we can do like a Google hangouts with members who are interested in helping and discuss in detail what we could start out doing and how to avoid a loss of interest as you stated. We could live stream the hangout for anyone on the forum who might be teetering on whether to dive in this or not.

As an individual I can do nothing but spout out ideas. As a collective we can take action. Everything starts with 1 step. Let us take that step which needs to go beyond just posting in this forum.

Let us act on our ideas.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
LOL

Outlook just moved you from his bad to good list, your name isn't even the same font size.
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
http://www.futuretim...the-daily-mail/

still laughing at the blunt and simple comment by GravityBoots 'People are paid to write this rubbish'. Yet he still went to the effort of making a dailymail account!!

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Can we change the name of the company though. I don't think saying "Hey, it's Outlook with Future TimeLine" Sounds very clean. I would go with "The Timeline". It roles off the tongue cleaner.

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Actually I don't think a name matters that much. We need goals and activity. I don't want this post to be "Hey guys, let's make a company" and everyone saying "yea we should!" and then nothing happens. We need to set like roles, and we need people who are motivated to do something instead of say "yea, I'd like to interview" then the guy never interviews. We need some more ideas to chip in too. Simply doing interviews and youtube videos is not enough. We need a steady supply of ideas coming through to build upon and fuel profit.

I have an few idea that doesn't require money in the first place, all it requires is some collaboration with wjfox. I think instead of starting off with video interviews. We can work with email interviews. We don't even need famous people to interview, we can interview people who represent famous companies, or organizations. For example, we don't need to interview Matt Kaeberlein, president of the american aging association, we can interview a member lower on the hiearchy instead.

But I also want to touch up on the audience. Futuretimeline is a very diverse community but we all agree on one thing, and that is the future. What we expect in the future. Now, I believe we need to set ourselves different from the 1000s of technological circlejerk futurist organizations. You know, the "NEW CHEMICAL SUBSTANCE MIGHT JUST CURE AGING and is probably severly carcinogenic". I like the social aspect of futurism instead of the technological aspect and I'd like to expand on that in the community to offer it a unique identity. I also expect political, economic, and social futurist topics will bring in more audiences than other technological circlejerk communities.

So yea, the first thing we need to do is get wjfox's collaboration. He has control over the website, and is the owner. It seems he's very busy with real life though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users