Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Expanding FTL? (wjfox HUGE opportunity)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,228 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Is there anyone on this forum who is in a position to publicly speak at some venue or other (like, say, a university, or a tech conference?)  to educate the masses on futurism, on what it entails, and how they can help build the future? Or something along those lines? If there is, then whoever does this should probably be not be a random anonymous teenager, but someone who's established some credibility in real life, someone whom people will listen to. Will, perhaps, since he's put more energy into this place than any of us? Or Raklian, who's an actual scientist as well as a prolific contributor here?

Edited by Jakob, 19 November 2015 - 07:39 PM.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

I also think that we should be wary about tying political and economic messages to the movement, and instead concentrate on simply being innovators seeking to improve the future, and empowering others to do the same. Looking at this place, we're such a diverse bunch that we'll never agree on exactly how to bring about the grand technological future of our dreams, or on what messages to tie to the movement.

Spoiler

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
I've been waiting for wjfox's green light so we can actually get started on some of these brilliant ideas... but either he is ignoring this post or is gonna surprise us with an interview with God himself.

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

Actually I don't think a name matters that much. We need goals and activity. I don't want this post to be "Hey guys, let's make a company" and everyone saying "yea we should!" and then nothing happens. We need to set like roles, and we need people who are motivated to do something instead of say "yea, I'd like to interview" then the guy never interviews. We need some more ideas to chip in too. Simply doing interviews and youtube videos is not enough. We need a steady supply of ideas coming through to build upon and fuel profit.

I have an few idea that doesn't require money in the first place, all it requires is some collaboration with wjfox. I think instead of starting off with video interviews. We can work with email interviews. We don't even need famous people to interview, we can interview people who represent famous companies, or organizations. For example, we don't need to interview Matt Kaeberlein, president of the american aging association, we can interview a member lower on the hiearchy instead.

But I also want to touch up on the audience. Futuretimeline is a very diverse community but we all agree on one thing, and that is the future. What we expect in the future. Now, I believe we need to set ourselves different from the 1000s of technological circlejerk futurist organizations. You know, the "NEW CHEMICAL SUBSTANCE MIGHT JUST CURE AGING and is probably severly carcinogenic". I like the social aspect of futurism instead of the technological aspect and I'd like to expand on that in the community to offer it a unique identity. I also expect political, economic, and social futurist topics will bring in more audiences than other technological circlejerk communities.

So yea, the first thing we need to do is get wjfox's collaboration. He has control over the website, and is the owner. It seems he's very busy with real life though.

Wait, wait, why do we need wjfox's approval to interview people by email? Can't we just find someone to interview, draft a list of questions, and get a community member to request an interview?

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

I might be able to get Annabelle Neilson to interview, we follow each other on twitter.

But the questions would need to stay on-topic /fashion, her children's book ect.

I think the point is more to interview scientists, engineers, visionaries, etc. on their views about the future, science, and technology.

Spoiler

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationWherever Alien Observer by Grouper could be played.

Wait, wait, why do we need wjfox's approval to interview people by email? Can't we just find someone to interview, draft a list of questions, and get a community member to request an interview?

We need to publish it on the main site where most of the traffic goes. Wjfox controls the website and what is posted on it. You're welcome to post it on the subreddit, which I'm mostly responsible for, but the subreddit doesn't have many views. We average 1-10 views on bad days, and 20-60 views on good days. We mostly get bad days; we've only had 5 good days in the past month. I'm thinking of asking other futurist subreddits to politely support us by linking our subreddit somewhere.

If we were to make our YouTube channel active, someone needs to ask wjfox for the password. Most of future timeline is controlled by wjfox, who deals with the writing, photos, and just all content of the website. Caiman is the guys who handles the server stuff as we all know.

Everything is predefined.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
Don't wait for the elderly!, you young guys have enough passion to create a youtube channel, you could do interviews and maybe even attend science fairs and report on them? in fact that might be an easier way to get some recognition, filming from tech fairs?

Who cares if they are crap to begin with, you can only get more experienced, passion is more important than anything. I used to be on boxing forums and this average guy with limited skills started out interviewing anyone, then he just got bigger and bigger, he ended up being able to walk into anyones gym, Roy Jones Jr., Mayweather, Pacquiao etc, and start interviewing, because everyone knew who he was. His interviews were better than everyone elses because they were down to earth, everyone he interviewd would open right up because he wasn't from HBO etc, they felt like he wouldn't go all FOX news about things.
  • Jakob and Outlook like this
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

We need to become Weyland Industries.

• hiraeth likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

POPULAR

Hey guys! (and girls)

Sorry for the delay in replying. I really appreciate your enthusiasm for this website, and it's great to hear your ideas.

Interviews is something we'll try to do in 2016. :) Not just interviews, actually, but various other new features too. As a matter of fact, I had an interesting phone call with a fellow futurist this evening about a collaboration between our sites - if all goes well, she might be able to put me in contact with a few well-known people. It's early days, but I think this collaboration could really boost the name recognition of FutureTimeline. I'll post more details when I get them. All I can say now is that it could feature alternative timelines (e.g. utopia / dystopia), in addition to interviews. :)

The problem at the moment is this mobile/responsive version that's really holding me back and slowing everything down. It's dragged on for what seems like forever and still isn't finished. However, the good news is that I have a massive, long holiday planned over Christmas and New Year, during which I plan to work almost entirely on the responsive version, getting it to a state that's basically ready to launch. The homepage redesign is nearing completion, and the most difficult part of the section templates are now done.

Once FT is compatible with all device types and screens, we can begin the really exciting work of introducing these new features and content to attract a wider audience. Somebody mentioned having a merchandise store, and yes, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. But there's so much more we can do in terms of expanding the website - new written features, guest blogs, future artwork, graphics, videos, opinion polls, libraries of data/stats useful in predicting future trends, new forum sections, a bigger presence on social media, etc. etc...

At the same time, I'm keen to ensure FT stays "true to its roots", by keeping the timeline updated with new predictions, and editing the older/outdated predictions or removing any which don't fit anymore. There's still a massive amount of stuff we can add to the 22nd/23rd century, far future and "Beyond" pages, which could be further subdivided into larger sections. For example, we could try to predict how the interstellar colonies develop and expand throughout space. We could even create our own sci-fi brand/franchise, with short stories set in this future universe.

Please keep your ideas and suggestions coming, and let's continue to build this amazing community of futurists. :)

Cheers,

Will

• Time_Traveller, Italian Ufo, eacao and 15 others like this

Outlook

Outlook

Muslim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

What about Past Timeline?

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationArgentina

What about Past Timeline?

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

We're gonna win so big, we're gonna make this forum yuuuge. Believe me, it'll be so big. It'll be beautiful, just beautiful. Believe me. It's gonna be so big, it's gonna be yuuuuuge. We'll make this the most beautiful forum you've ever seen. Believe me, we're gonna win so yuuuuge.

Make futuretimeline great again!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Trexrider32

Trexrider32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Hey guys! (and girls)

At the same time, I'm keen to ensure FT stays "true to its roots", by keeping the timeline updated with new predictions, and editing the older/outdated predictions or removing any which don't fit anymore. There's still a massive amount of stuff we can add to the 22nd/23rd century, far future and "Beyond" pages, which could be further subdivided into larger sections. For example, we could try to predict how the interstellar colonies develop and expand throughout space. We could even create our own sci-fi brand/franchise, with short stories set in this future universe.

Please keep your ideas and suggestions coming, and let's continue to build this amazing community of futurists. :)

Cheers,

Will

I was thinking about saying the same thing. Maybe, we could have something like Orion's Arm or Praxis, but ours would be based on the current advancements at the time of writing the story. This could add a realism bonus to the stories.

" Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who only dream by night." -- Edgar Allan Poe

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

Spoiler

You mean Bernie.

Sabrine Crystal

Sabrine Crystal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hey guys! (and girls)

Sorry for the delay in replying. I really appreciate your enthusiasm for this website, and it's great to hear your ideas.

Interviews is something we'll try to do in 2016. :) Not just interviews, actually, but various other new features too. As a matter of fact, I had an interesting phone call with a fellow futurist this evening about a collaboration between our sites - if all goes well, she might be able to put me in contact with a few well-known people. It's early days, but I think this collaboration could really boost the name recognition of FutureTimeline. I'll post more details when I get them. All I can say now is that it could feature alternative timelines (e.g. utopia / dystopia), in addition to interviews. :)

The problem at the moment is this mobile/responsive version that's really holding me back and slowing everything down. It's dragged on for what seems like forever and still isn't finished. However, the good news is that I have a massive, long holiday planned over Christmas and New Year, during which I plan to work almost entirely on the responsive version, getting it to a state that's basically ready to launch. The homepage redesign is nearing completion, and the most difficult part of the section templates are now done.

Once FT is compatible with all device types and screens, we can begin the really exciting work of introducing these new features and content to attract a wider audience. Somebody mentioned having a merchandise store, and yes, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. But there's so much more we can do in terms of expanding the website - new written features, guest blogs, future artwork, graphics, videos, opinion polls, libraries of data/stats useful in predicting future trends, new forum sections, a bigger presence on social media, etc. etc...

Cheers,

Will

You actualy must update and upgrade the 22nd, 23rd centuries and the far future sections, I hope for that.Year ago, thre were may cool posts there, such as large space stations for the year 2170, matter replication technology for home for the year 2190 and the disappearing of poverty and war by 2200.These posts were very cool but don't exist anymore.And a post about humanoid robots/androids for the year 2150.You must also rewrite the 2100,2150,2200 and 2300 years posts.And a post talking about when the world will achieve post-scarcity and resource based economies.

The far future sections (2300 afterwards) continue the same for years, except a post about the extinctions of humans by 100 million AD that was removed for some reason.

• wjfox likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

You actualy must update and upgrade the 22nd, 23rd centuries and the far future sections, I hope for that.Year ago, thre were may cool posts there, such as large space stations for the year 2170, matter replication technology for home for the year 2190 and the disappearing of poverty and war by 2200.These posts were very cool but don't exist anymore.And a post about humanoid robots/androids for the year 2150.You must also rewrite the 2100,2150,2200 and 2300 years posts.And a post talking about when the world will achieve post-scarcity and resource based economies.

The far future sections (2300 afterwards) continue the same for years, except a post about the extinctions of humans by 100 million AD that was removed for some reason.

Don't worry, I have lots of Far Future predictions to come.

I have a folder on my desktop called "FutureTimeline – new additions" where I collect ideas / references. The list is becoming very long. :)

• Time_Traveller likes this

UtopianAims

UtopianAims

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Didn't wjfox interview Aubrey de grey a while back?
That was pretty neat

I notice in futurist and AI circles, many are unaware of FTL, making it lack in exposure and therefore visibility and notoriety. Perhaps advertising on futurist websites would be a good way to push FTL into the stagelight.

Maybe some sort of cross communication with Ray Kurzweil Forums, Futurism.com, Sciencedaily, Phys etc. Although that would be a lot of work. And Admin Wjfox probably is the only one that can come close to doing anything like that. Plus his busy life outside of FTL.

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

There is a sub-Reddit called futurology, it is a futurist sub-Reddit.  Maybe we could collaborate, or gain exposure there.

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Maybe in the anniversary of the site (2018)

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Maybe in the anniversary of the site (2018)

Wrong thread, sorry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users