Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

My new, improved timeline of the future

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Eh, posting this was probably not the best of ideas. I'll keep quiet about these things, I guess.

Edited by Jakob, 12 December 2015 - 03:54 PM.

• Time_Traveller, illykitty, joe00uk and 3 others like this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
Nice going Jakob! Can't wait for the next one! :D

Quick question. The revival of mammoths by 2024? Is this premature or am I missing out on something here?

Is minic an fhírinne searbh.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

Quick question. The revival of mammoths by 2024? Is this premature or am I missing out on something here?

Actually, it should've been underway by now, but I don't know what happened. I'm assuming they'll get back to it eventually. There are still a few years left to begin working to meet that deadline, I think.

• Infinite likes this

Spoiler

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Actually, it should've been underway by now, but I don't know what happened. I'm assuming they'll get back to it eventually. There are still a few years left to begin working to meet that deadline, I think.
Okay! Thanks:)

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

A few initial comments

- The idea ISIS will be expanding in 2020 is extremely unlikely in my mind. I don't see them surpassing where they are currently. They're actively losing heavily in both Iraq & Syria right now.

- China isn't going to get in a Cold War with America, that isn't how China does things. If they want to take over another country they will do it through monetary means, not through military means or isolation. The mindset of China and Russia are completely different in this regard. They also do not have large expansionistic ideas like the USSR did. There will of course be some tensions, but they won't be on the scale of Russia during the Cold War. A new name is needed. 

- Oil is predicted to stay at $40-60 a barrel for many more years to come, unless there is a civil war in SA or Russia oil prices aren't going to peak.

- I don't see Elon Musk getting anywhere close to being the richest person on Earth. This is pure fanboyism. 

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

^Yes, I just realized that this was a little bit stupid. Apologies to everyone.

Spoiler

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
@Jakob. Don't apologise to anyone! It's still only speculation and fiction of what happens in the future because it still hasn't happened yet and hence neither right nor wrong. I was really enjoying it. Do whatever you want to do but I recommend continuing on with your passion of writing timelines.
  • Ewan likes this

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

I agree with Infinite, this is the perfect kind of thread for this forum. It creates discussion around future events, which is exactly what we're supposed to be about. So what if everything you said wasn't likely (in my opinion), it's good to discuss such things, and who knows you may be right even if it isn't likely. Five years ago I doubt people would be saying oil will cost $40 a barrel today!

We could get some good ideas through discussions like this, even if the initial predictions aren't 100%. You never know where such discussions will go!

• Infinite likes this

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

I agree with Infinite, this is the perfect kind of thread for this forum. It creates discussion around future events, which is exactly what we're supposed to be about. So what if everything you said wasn't likely (in my opinion), it's good to discuss such things, and who knows you may be right even if it isn't likely. Five years ago I doubt people would be saying oil will cost $40 a barrel today!

We could get some good ideas through discussions like this, even if the initial predictions aren't 100%. You never know where such discussions will go!
Exactly.

Antoninus

Antoninus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Greetings, all.

While this is my first post, I've been lurking the forums and the main site for roughly a year.  I thoroughly appreciate having this aggregator of futurist news and opinion, and especially the speculative (but informed) timelines.  Fuel for the imagination.  I had read Jakob's original timeline, and I hope he decides to continue the latest effort.

Best.

• Jakob, Outlook and Infinite like this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

I'll repost 2020 to 2024 (can't edit my original post...). I'll admit that I do employ artistic license here and there for a more interesting timeline.

2020 to 2024

Twenty years into the new millennium, we reach 2020, a year considered by many to be the beginning of The Future. "TwentyTwenty" celebrations and conventions are held across the world. There is much to be excited about. The Internet of Things and Web 3.0 are making inroads across the world. Drones, genome sequencing, 3D printing, and virtual reality are becoming commonplace in geeky circles and will soon go mainstream. The space and robotics industries look promising too. Not everything is going well, though. Terrorism is running rampant, with ISIS showing no signs of slowing. Global warming caused average temperatures to rise 1 Celsius since 2000. Water shortages are plaguging desert areas, such as the Middle East (which is mostly overrun with terrorists), and the American Southwest. Food and oil prices are skyrocketing across the world.

2020. Intenet has permeated the entire world. With inititatives such as Project Loon and a dozen others, 95 percent of the world's population has internet access, including 99 percent in developed countries. As mentioned, a variety of technologies to augment the internet are emerging as well, providing stunning new possibilities.

2020. ISIS--or the Caliphate as it now calls itself--continues to expand, pushing into North Africa for the first time and battling Egyptian and European forces at the Suez Canal. Only a handful of countires in the Middle East maintain some stability.

2020. Machine translation between any two major languages has been perfected. While it still may stumble over some idioms, there are virtually no mistakes with vocabulary and grammar. This greatly aids international business and political dealings.

2020. Replacement organs and body parts of almost any kind can now be grown in the lab, thanks to advanced bioprinters. This makes things significantly more bearable for amputees, as does the advent of mind-controlled prosthetics with near-human capabilities.

2021. A man named Harvey Drake becomes the 46th President of the United States. Something of a dark horse, he sprinted past many more well-known candidates to take the presidency in a landslide. Born in 1971, President Drake marks two firsts. He is the first US president from Generation X (1965 to 1980), and the first openly atheist US president. A long-term thinker and visionary with dreams to make the United States a hyperpower, Drake will go on to be considered the best president in at least century.

2021. China has reached superpower status, and is second only to the United States in terms of power and influence. And it is catching up startlingly fast, especially in biotechnology, robotics, and space sectors. A conflict known as the Second Cold War arises in between the US and China, causing tensions across the Pacific Ocean. Although he is primarily withdrawing US troops stationed abroad, President Drake doubles the number of troops in the Pacific due to the new threat there.

2021. Due to the chaos in the Middle East, gasoline prices rise above $10 per gallon for the first time. For this reason, electric and biofuel cars are exploding in popularity, while mass transit is becoming more prevalent in urban areas.

2022. President Drake has cut off funding to many non-essential government programs and is now reallocating many billions of dollars into other areas, especially NASA, military research, and energy reform. The last of these is especially important, with terrorists holding hostage a good chunk of the remaining oil fields. He also promises a return to the moon and a new American Space Station by the end of the decade.

2022. Elon Musk, now one of the richest people on earth, with a net worth of $95 billion, announces that SpaceX will begin constructing the world's first private space station. Meanwhile, NASA conducts a manned mission to a near-earth asteroid, marking the first time in fifty years that humans have left earth orbit.

2022. Google retires its popular search engine at last. Due to the prevalence of Web 3.0, it releases the successor to a search engine: the Knowledge Engine. This is basically a highly advanced version of Google's Knowledge Graph of the '10s, capable of answering almost any query posed to it, no matter how complex or esoteric.

2022. The first self-driving cars begin mass production. While capable of handling themselves mostly unaided in most conditions, they still require a competent human driver should anything go wrong. They are still available only to the relatively rich, however.

2023. Supersonic business jets are making a comeback. In this year, the Concorde II is released. At speeds of up to Mach 1.9, it is capable of crossing the Atlantic in less than three hours. It will not be many years before these speeds and more are available to the middle class.

2023. Physical shopping is coming to an end; it is being supplanted by online shopping. People only go out to stores to buy specialized items, and most things that people buy on a day-to-day basis are easily found online with the help of the Knowledge Engine. Also, in urban and suburban areas, drones now deliver most packages weighing less than twenty or so pounds.

2024. Paper production is decreasing rapidly. New books, newspapers, and magazines are now almost exclusively found in electronic form. Within a decade or so, paper will only be used for niche applications, such as making hard copies of especially important government documents.

2024. China unveils its first space station. Although smaller than the ISS, it is still a technological marvel. Although it is being used for scientific purposes only, that does not stop conspiracy theorists from claiming that it is also serving as a missile launch platform.

2024. Tensions in the Pacific are increasing, and the Cold War has almost turned conventional a couple of times. Nevertheless, outright war continues to be averted, for now at least.

2024. A collaboration between American and Russian scientists brings wooly mammoths back from the dead for the first time, with a herd of eight being cloned and put in an enclosure in Siberia. Other cloning projects, like the dodo, the megatherium, and the northern white rhinoceros are being considered, while efforts are being made to back up the DNA of critically endangered species worldwide.

• hiraeth, Soundwave, Tina and 2 others like this

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

And here's 2025 to 2029. (And again, this is just one possible path out of millions for the future)

2025 to 2029

We are now a quarter of a way into the new millennium. Technology is definitely progressing. The world population has reached eight billion, and fewer than 100 million are not connected to the internet. VR/AR and drones have become commonplace. The private space industry is beginning to boom. Yet climate change, food and water shortages, and chaos on the world stage are taking their toll.

2025. Generation Alpha (2010 to 2025) is ending, Generation Beta (2025 to 2040) is beginning. Unlike their predcessors, who were growing up as The Future was sweeping the earth, The Future is something that Generation Beta has always known.

2025. Harvey Drake wins a second term in a landslide. Although he faces great difficulties, a significant majority of the people are behind him. The work in energy reform continues as oil prices climb ever higher, but plans are also being made to repair the US's aging infrastructure.

2025. The SpaceX Station is up and running in low-earth orbit. It is massive, 300 meters long and capable of holding a crew of dozens. Inspired by this success, other companies are seeking to establish their own space stations, both for tourism and for scientific purposes.

2025. Artificial intelligence is significantly disrupting the workforce. Numerous low-level, repetetive jobs are being made obsolete, but at the same time an equal number of jobs in the tech industry are opening up. Competition is becoming tougher and tougher as tech giants fight to snap up the best and brightest from around the world.

2026. Two new innovations reach modern militaries in this year. One is "smart armor", a next-generation personal armor that utilizes the Internet of Things, augmented reality, and crude nanotechnology. The other is hypersonic aircraft, which first enter military service.

2026. Russia, aware that it is rapidly being ecclipsed by the United States, China, and even India, begins taking steps to become technologically advanced enough to regain its superpower status. This further complicates the geopolitical situation in both the Far East and in Europe.

2026. The American Space Station is finished, and President Drake transfers the American ISS crew to the new space station, which can hold a crew of 15.

2026. The Caliphate, manages to bootstrap a small nuclear weapon, which a group of their members detonate in New York City, killing 19,000 and injuring 100,000 more. President Drake recognizes that immediate and extreme action is necessary. With leaders from the EU, and Russia, they make plans to invade Caliphate territory on a large scale.

2027. At the beginning of the year, the Second War on Terrorism begins. The United States, Russia, the European Union, and the few Middle Eastern nations still capable of putting up a fight all join forces to invade Caliphate territory. In a somewhat controversial, but highly effective move, the US carries several nuclear strikes on major Caliphate bases, dealing a major blow to the Caliphate's operations. The worst of the conflict is over by the end of the year, but mop-up efforts will persist into the Thirties.

2027. Planetary Mining, Inc. becomes the first to commercialize asteroid mining. After hauling a 15-meter asteroid to lunar orbit, they break it up into a wealth of precious metals to sell on earth. This proves to be so lucrative that they break the market, starting a minor depression termed the Little Depression.

2027. Affordable 3D printers are coming to the market now. While crude compared to larger, more expensive ones found at companies and universities, they still have remarkable capabilities. Many basic goods no longer need to be physically transported, further revolutionizing many markets.

2027. Holovision, or holographic televsion, which has been around for some years, is finally replacing conventional television in mainstream usage. Also, more than half the population in developed countries now use augmented or virtual reality on a daily basis.

2028. The European Union has decided that to compete with the rising superpowers, they must unite as one nation. In this year, many of them do so; notable holdouts include Switzerland, the UK, and the Scandinavians, who form their own Scandinavian Union.

2028. Mankind finally returns to the moon. An American crew of six and a Chinese crew of four land there within weeks of each other. In addition to conducting much scientific research they begin constructing permanent bases: Armstrong Base and Chang'e Base, respectively. Many fear that the cold war in the Pacific will extend out into space, but the astronauts on the moon get along and avoid conflict.

2028. The first commercially viable nuclear fusion power plant is built in the United States, roughly halfway between New York and Boston.

2029. Several major milestones in the computing industry are reached in this year. Firstly, a Japanese team builds the first zettaflop computer. Secondly, extremely powerful petaflop computers are now becoming available to consumers. Thirdly, the dawn of Web 4.0 has arrived. The Internet of Things has achieved its goal. Everything is computerized, digitized, and connected to the internet. It is up to Web 4.0 to take it further.

2029. SpaceX becomes the third entity to reach the moon, after the United States and China. They quickly establish Dragon Base, only fifty miles from the original Apollo 11 landing site. Several other corporations and countries will reach the moon in the Thirties, and some will set their sights even further afield.

2029. The market has stabilized and the Little Depression has ended. Further asteroid mining begins and vast amounts of precious metals such as iridium, platinum, gold, and many others are brought back to earth. Great care is taken to ensure that no one accidentally crashes the market again.

2029. By this year, "soft" drugs have been legalized in the United States and many other western countries. Hard drugs remain illegal in most places, although a thriving black market exists, based mainly in Central America. Gay marriage is also legal in nearly all western countries, and only a small minority are still raising a fight about it.

• hiraeth, Soundwave, Tina and 2 others like this

Spoiler

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
Really enjoying these Jakob! Keep going and enjoy writing them :)

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

2030-34

2030 to 2034

By this point, The Future, with all its flashy gadgets, fancy technology, and grand space programs, is becoming just a part of everyday life. Humanity is ready to stop being a one-planet species, and is tightly connected by the internet and the many technologies which augment it. The transition away from fossil fuels is promising, too. All in all, the world is becoming a very fast and complex place, for better or worse. Cybercrime, environmental damage, and the beginnings of technological unemployment are among the major issues plauging the world in this decade.

2030. Space is militarized for the first time when the United States secretly constructs a space station in earth orbit and arms it with nuclear missiles. They also send four soldiers to the moon along with the first wave of forty scientists and engineers going to Armstrong Base.

2030. The first crude Virtual Reality conferencing software is being utilized by companies in many sectors, especially the tech industry. This means that many more people are working from home. However, traveling to work is still a thing for many people, especially those whose work deals with physical things.

2030. In response to increasingly serious water shortages, some countries are beginning to implement rather heavy-handed water rations, with severe punishments for those who break the rules. Countries implementing such rules include much of the Middle East, North Africa, Mexico, and a few states in the American southwest. Anger at this leads to the Water Riots of 2030. In many places, armed forces are deployed to guard the water supplies from rioters, but not many are appeased.

2031. Wireless electricity is becoming mainstream for many new electronic devices. While this makes electronics cheaper and lighter, it means that the devastation caused by damage to the grid is becoming ever higher.

2031. Fossil fuels are definitely in the decline now, as they now provide less than half the energy in the United States. Solar and fusion are taking off spectacularly, and other renewables are remaining roughly stable, as is fission.

2031. Two great transportation reform inititatives are launched in North America in this year. One is the New North American Rail Network, a system of maglev lines running across much of Canada, the United States, and Mexico. When complete, it is expected that trains will be able to travel at 400 miles per hour, taking freight and people anywhere on the continent in half a day or less. Meanwhile, the United States is beginning the greatest road construction project since the Eisenhower Highway System was built. While bridge repair and autonomous car support are major parts, the crown jewel of the project will be the new system superhighways that will be far stronger and better designed than the old Interstate system.

2031. Extremely cheap human genome sequencing can be done within minutes. Because of this, nearly all newborns, and a substantial number of existing people have their genomes sequencing. All this data is stored in vast databases, where medical professionals are tirelessly working to solve the mysteries of genetics. As a result, personalized medicine is becoming mainstream.

2031. The first large-scale vertical farms are showing up. These new methods of farming, which center around buildings instead of fields, and heavily feature hydroponics, aeroponics, and genetically modified plants, are especially popular in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Japan.

2032. India is becoming the third superpower of the 21st century, with a population of 1.8 billion and a vast technology sector. While it still has its problems, it has definitely improved in the past 15 or 20 years.

2032. An international team of 25 people heads for Mars with equipment provided by SpaceX and several space agencies. After eight months of travel, the first men and women set foot on the Red Planet. They immediately set up a base, Ares Base. These people are not just here for scientific purposes; they are also colonists.

2032. In addition innovations being made in overland travel, air travel has changed. Passenger airplanes are now completely automated and the largest can carry upwards of a thousand people. They also have cleaner fuel, and supersonic aircraft are no longer strictly for the rich.

2032. The US withdraws its last troops from the Middle East, offically ending the Second War on Terrorism. The Middle East and North Africa will have much rebuilding to do. This marks the cultural end of the Twenties and the beginning of the Thirties.

2033. While conventional terrorism has slowed down a good deal with the final collapse of the Caliphate, bioterrorism is beginning to become a major threat. Utilizing the genome databases, criminals have engineered deadly viruses and released them in populated areas, killing thousands.

2033. Desalination is beginning to become a lucrative industry in developed countries, marking the beginning of the end of the anomisity that caused the Water Riots of 2030.

2033. The majority of new cars are now autonomous. However, they must still be manned by a competent driver, and non-autonomous cars are by no means uncommon.

2034. The Russians and Europeans both construct their first space stations and arrive on the moon this year. The Lunar population is now close to 100, and all the countries there have military personell stationed at their bases.

2034. China is beginning to surpass the United States economically, although the United States still remains ahead scientifically and militarily. India, Russia, and Europe are not far behind those two titans.

2034. The age of cybercrime is beginning. With all the business being done over the internet—even more than in previous decades—all sorts of hackers, pirates, and cyber-terrorists are causing chaos and destruction. It will be some time before the world can adequately react to this threat, and the internet becomes a hazardous place for a time.

2034. The first native residents of a place other than earth are born. A baby boy is born at Ares Base; he is followed a few months later by a baby girl at Chang'e Base. While most people rejoice at these milestones, there are those who wonder if a lunar or Martian base is a really a good place for a chlid to grow up in.

• hiraeth, Soundwave, Tina and 3 others like this

Spoiler

Tina

Tina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationTehran, Iran

"We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight."

- Unsourced quote from John Lennon

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

2035 to 2039

While humanity is slowly getting closer to a golden age, the Late Thirties are a less optimistic time than the Early Thirties. People are beginning to do things about the many issues facing humanity, yet war in the Pacific looms on the horizon. Some things will become better in the next few years; others will become much worse. Yet technology will continue marching on.

2035. After years of research and development during the Drake Administration, the United States begins issuing the first handheld railgun, the RG-1, to its armed forces. They are heavy, noisy, and expensive, but brutally effective. Capable of firing 24-gram tungsten bullets at over 5,000 meters per second, these extremely powerful weapons are virtually unstoppable by conventional armor, and can even kill two or three enemy soldiers at once if aligned properly.

2035. The United States also begins manufacturing the first fully autonomous fighter jets and tanks (called gunbots). The technology has existed for six or eight years, but only recently has international law permitted such innovations to be put to practice. Combined with the army's new railguns and three more military space stations, the country once again goes on the offensive, ending its fifteen-year policy of only intervening when directly attacked. The cold war in the Pacific becomes more serious.

2035. Meanwhile, unnerved by the rising superpower of India on its border, China is exercising its power in southeast Asia, significantly expanding its borders and leading to serious tension with India.

2036. A group of visionaries in the asteroid mining business decide to look further than the near-earth asteroids that everyone and their uncle is now mining. They look to the asteroid belt and set up a mining colony on the dwarf planet Ceres.

2036. The US Department of the Internet is formed to help protect and regulate the internet, as well as stem cybercrime. Although the US and China are by now bitter rivals in almost every sector—a fact which has permeated into media and popular culture on both sides of the Pacific—, the DOI does team up with to Chinese intelligence agencies to end cyber-terrorism. An international organization, the International Internet Security Coalition (IISC for short) joins in, as do several major companies, like Google and Amazon. Detractors accuse the DOI and IISC of being heavy-handed and violating civil liberties, but they are definitely solving the problem.

2036. Medical nanobots become available to consumers for the first time. Although they are not completely reliable, extremely expensive (millions of dollars per injection) and do not serve many functions, they do provide definite health benefits. This is considered by many to be the beginning of the dawn of transhumanism.

2036. After ten years of furious effort, Russia has regained the superpower status that it lost nearly half a century ago. It is now one of the top nations in the space, robotics, agriculture, and terrestrial mining sectors. It also establishes a strategic quasi-military base at the moon's south pole in this year.

2037. The first clinical human trials of a method to slow down aging are begun, providing further evidence that transhumanism is arriving. It will be many years before there will be an actual product that can slow down, let alone stop or reverse aging. However, an extended lifespan is within the reach of most people alive.

2037. The 49th US president, Carl Johnson, takes power, having won the election by a hair. Jacobson is a veteran of the war in Afghanistan and was one of the main generals in the Second War on Terrorism. He's also the first Millennial president and has a reputation for being pretty hard-nosed. While the '20s needed a visionary (and found one in Harvey Drake), the troubled times of the late '30s and early '40s need a realist with a strong fist and a no-nonsense attitude, and Johnson is this. This is not to say that Johnson is perfect, but he was the best available wartime leader for the US at the time.

2037. Lab-grown meat is affordable for the first time. Although it has some ways to go in terms of feel and taste, the conventional meat industry will crumble in the next fifteen years.

2038. The end of Web 4.0 has arrived. The internet itself is being reworked into something more subtle and powerful, known as the webnets. The very architecture of the webnets makes it far more secure against cybercrime and more powerful than the internet. It also does a better job of protecting creators' rights, virtually shutting down piracy.

2038. Average global temperatures reach 2 Celsius above the average temperature at the beginning of the century. Extreme weather is becoming common. Hurricaines are becoming progressively worse, and not a year goes by when the alphabet is not used up. Melting ice caps are also leading to flooding along many coastlines. President Johnson funds a series of projects to build walls and dikes along the coastlines of many cities, and leaders of coastal nations worldwide are working on similar initiatives.

2038. The United States military is expanding again, both in size and in scope of operations. The United States Space Force, the USSF is created; dozens of units are deployed to low earth orbit and the moon. Even Mars, which has for several years avoided politicization and militarization, now has a number of USSF soldiers on it. The military also have troops deployed across most parts of the world, but they are heavily concentrated in four areas: Central America (where they are helping Mexico fight the drug empires), southern Africa, the Middle East, and, most of all, the Pacific region. Things are deteriorating fast in this part of the world; the Pacific Cold War is heating up.

2039. The Superhighways and the North American Maglev Network are now complete, albeit two years behind schedule. The Superhighways have four lanes going in each direction, not a mere two, and speed limts are raised into the triple digits in most areas, since the new highways (and self-driving cars) make roads much safer. Many problems with congestion and poorly functioning infrastructure have been resolved. The roads themselves are made of stronger materials than regular asphalt, and have wireless electricity nodes embedded in them, reducing the need for batteries.

2039. Nanoweapons are developed. They have many of the design principles of the medical nanobots developed a few years earlier, but are designed to kill, not to save lives. And they are extremely deadly, far more so than bioweapons or chemical weapons. They are almost immediately classified as a weapon of mass destruction, and their use is heavily regulated by international law.

2039. There is chaos in the Asia-Pacific region. China and India are grabbing territory left and right in southeast Asia. The United States has moved tens of thousands of soldiers across the Pacific to carve out eight new territories in the Pacific and the Far East. Russia allies with China and begins rattling sabers in Siberia. Ostensibly, this is for the occupied territories' protection, but it's at least partially done to provide a military staging ground and a buffer between the American West Coast and the Asia-Pacific Region. The United States formally allies with India, and Europe agrees to join forces with them both. The whole region could easily explode into combat with one spark.

• hiraeth, FrogCAT, Infinite and 2 others like this

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

I haven't forgotten this, by the way.

2040 to 2044

The Forties will be one of the darkest decades of the 21st century. Most of the developed world is locked in a tense military standoff. Progress stalls in a lot of fields. Fear and paranoia are everywhere. President Jacobson, although rather agressive and stubborn, does manage to keep his country going strong, at least while he is in power. Whatever his flaws may be, he is a competent wartime leader.

2040. World War III begins. On one side is the United States, India, Europe, and their minor allies. On the other is China, Russia, and their minor allies. The main theaters of combat are the Asia-Pacific region, the Arctic, and eastern Europe, but fighting is done on every continent except Antarctica. This conflict is the first true nuclear war, as well as the first war with off-earth operations. Unlike the previous world war, there aren't any clear-cut "good-guys" or "bad guys", no figures like Hitler or events like the Holocaust.

2040. Generation Beta (2025 to 2040) ends and Generation Gamma (2040 to 2055). Unlike Generation Beta, who tend to be cynical, bitter, and disillusioned with humanity, the members of Generation Gamma tend to approach things with a slight, cautious sense of optimism. Afterall, they do witness humanity survive a nuclear war, with civilization largely intact, and they witness the nations eventually put aside their differences and help rebuild.

2040. Quantum computing has been invented. Quantum computers are, of course, still very few in number and mostly owned by the government. These kinds of computers promise even greater power than is already available. Meanwhile, consumers are gaining access to exaflop computers.

2040. Full Immersion Virtual Reality (FIVR for short) has also been invented. However, the technology is still extremely expensive in this first generation of FIVR. Mostly it is used by the military (for training) and the ultra-rich (for ultra-realistic gaming).

2041. Carbon nanotubes become a viable building material. This allows for far larger and stronger buildings—the first buildings reaching two kilometers are constructed. Some militaries are also becoming interested in using nanotubes for armor and have constructed prototypes.

2041. The Middle East is recovering, thanks to desalination and a move away from the oil industry, but is still no superpower. The new, democratic and relatively moderate nation of Arabia, however, is picking up the pieces of the old Middle East and starting afresh. North Africa is still a mess, and central and southern Africa are even worse, following the decreasing prominence of the terrestrial mining industry.

2042. Fossil fuel is no longer the most common energy source. It has been overtaken by solar and fusion is fast catching up. Fission is on a slight decline, and miscellaneous renewables (not solar or fusion) are stable.

2042. The United States is taking devastating nuclear hits on its west coast, and is fighting to defend Alaska. Meanwhile, it is retaliating fiercely in the Pacific region with nuclear strikes and nanoweapons. The United States doubles its military space station fleet to eight. All other major parties have their own military space stations, but no one else has more than five. The colonies on the moon, Mars, and Ceres have thus far managed to avoid getting caught up in the combat.

2042. The lunar population has ballooned to around 750, while the Martian population is pushing 200 and Ceres has reached 100. Between the three of them, there have been fifteen native-born people.

2043. The US military takes advantage of transhumanism, which is starting to have serious applications. They begin creating a new branch of the armed forces to replace all their existing branches: the National Army of Transhumans. In addition to being upgraded to be stronger, faster, tougher, and smarter, they are also put through two years of extremely rigorous physical and psychological training.

2044. The war begins to shift in the favor of the Am-Eurasian Alliance, but it is far from over. Nuclear strikes are becoming less common now, though conventional war still rages on.

2044. The Department of the Internet has largely eradicated large-scale piracy and cyber-terrorism from the webnets. Its resources are mostly redirected into cyber-warfare, although it continues to be involved in civilian affairs on the webnets.

• hiraeth, Infinite, Antoninus and 1 other like this

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

2045 to 2049

The dark days still continue, but the end is now in sight. Despite setbacks, WW3 will end, and humanity will begin the long process of rebuilding. While President Johnson, who leaves office in this year, was controversial during his presidency, later historical consensus agreed that a world war was imminent by '34 or '35, and there was nothing he could do.

2045. The first units of the National Army of Transhumans are deployed on the battlefield to spectacular success. Victory seems near, but then President Johnson leaves office. His considerably less competent successor woefully mismanages everything and the fight bogs itself down in a stalemate.

2045. Autonomous vehicles now make up the majority of cars on the road, and some of the most advanced ones do not even require a human driver as backup. To accommodate for this, legislation restricting non-autonomous in certain areas (such as the Superhighways) is passed.

2046. A new medium of entertainment, the vrgame, is invented. Using technologies such as Virtual Reality, it creates a hybrid of movies and video games. While wildly popular in some circles, traditional movies will remain common for about fifteen years, and traditional video games for about twenty-five.

2046. Arabia has largely stabilized and taken over what is left of the Middle East, with the help from several countries and numerous nonprofits. Low-level terrorism still troubles the area, so a few thousand spare NART soldiers are sent in to help. Arabia persistantly refuses to get involved in the war.

2046. Medical nanobots became affordable to the public. This adds ten years or so to the average life expectancy (twenty in third-world countries), and protects users against many common bioweapons and nanoweapons.

2047. Kinetic bombardment weapons are first tested. These are essentially giant metal rods dropped from an orbiting space station. They are nearly as powerful as a small nuclear weapon, and far cleaner.

2047. Greenland becomes an independent nation. It is one of the few areas that has been helped by global warming, which has given it more dry land, a better climate, and a stronger economy. The new country's population grows rapidly as immigrants arrive.

2048. World War III ends at last, after 135,000,000 deaths, 210,000,000 injuries, 13 nuclear bombings, and trillions of dollars worth of damage. For the past two years, both sides have been getting nowhere fast. The only thing that continuing would accomplish would be to destroy their economies, and eventually, their civilizations. With this in mind, the leaders manage to hammer out a treaty. In the end, the war was pretty much a draw and neither side gained any significant territory. Remarkably, the leaders of the United States, China, and Russia decide to put aside their bitterness and rebuild the world together.

2048. The megacity known as Pennsylvania City is officially formed. It comprises a massive block of cities and urban sprawl running unbroken from Philadelphia to New York and is home to 35 million of the United States' 440 million people. In future decades, it will become one of the largest megacities on earth.

2048. AI has advanced to the point that it is very difficult to differentiate between it and a human in conversation. In previous decades, any reasonably intelligent person could differentiate between a human and an AI with a few minutes of conversation; now only trained experts and AI researchers can make a distinction so quickly. Telltale signs of an AI sometimes include a lack of emotion, or, conversely, appearing to act too human. Laws are passed to prevent AI from subtly infiltrating society, and to protect strong AIs from unduly cruel treatment.

2049. Robotic pets are becoming almost as popular as flesh-and-blood ones, especially in urban areas. While initially more expensive than conventional pets, they cost far less to maintain. Although they are carefully programmed to act just as "real" pets do, they are conspicuously made of plastic and metal. This only makes them more popular, though. Meanwhile, androids are also reaching the market. Many of them are used as domestic servants, mid-level factory workers (nonsentient robots make up the lowest level), and mining.

2049. Efforts to rebuild the war-torn world are underway. The initiatives are mainly based on the Petrov Plan, drafted by eponymous the Russian president two years earlier. For this plan, President Petrov will win the 2050 Nobel Peace Prize.

2049. Technological unemployment is beginning to cause severe problems, as many industries previously thought untouchable by machines are beginning to collapse. The massive number of military, industrial, and scientific jobs created by World War III delayed this by a decade or so, but did not avert it. It will take powerful visionaries to save the world from this crisis in the coming years.

2049. The world map is being significantly redrawn following the war. The southeast Asian countries are mostly absorbed into India, but a few become part of China. Russia gives the United States back West Alaska, and the United States relinquishes all of its new Asian territories, except for the Phillipines, which have agreed to remain part of the United States in exchange for statehood. Arabia stops growing, having expanded its territory to cover most of the previously chaotic region once known as the Middle East.

• Infinite and peaterlanster like this

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

2050 to 2054

Halfway through the century, the world is climbing out of the abyss. Relations between most of the superpowers have improved significantly, and rebuilding is underway. Technological unemployment and climate change will be the two major issues of the decade, and steps will be taken against both. Transhumanism is becoming mainstream, and globalization continues to lead to an ever-more-integrated society, while global life expectancy has risen to nearly 80 (90+ in developed countries). The world population stands at 9.5 billion, while the populations of the moon, Mars, and the asteroid belt are around 6500, 2400, and 800, respectively.

2050. Less than half of the population of the United States is religious, and 68 percent of those under 40 are irreligious. This is still the highest amongst developed countries, most of which have about 30 to 40 percent of their population being religious. One of the few exceptions is Arabia, where the majority of the population is still Muslim.

2050. The Olympic Games resume in this year with the 2050 Winter Olympics, which are held in Reykjavik, ending the Games' 12-year hiatus due to World War III. Athletics have changed drastically during the Forties. Personalized medicine and medical nanobots have improved health, virtual reality has augmented training regimens, and transhumanism is taking off. The Games are plagued by a rash of scandals involving "upgraded" athletes, who have trounced unaugmented ones. This will be a thorny issue in sports for years to come.

2050. Work begins on a road and rail link from Seattle to Alaska, and on to Russia. This would have been done ten years earlier, but the political situation during World War III made it impossible. The road link is an expansion of the Superhighway system, while the rail link will be one of the first major demonstrations of vactrains.

2051. A remarkable new global organization called Bloggers United forms and quickly becomes a major news media organization. It is unlike other news media organizations in that it consists of a diverse crowd of amateur bloggers with their own agendas instead of a small group of professional journalists. In just a few years, it will manage to do to traditional news media what Wikipedia did to traditional encyclopedias. Only a few traditional newspapers will be able to survive and adapt.

2051. Brain implants are becoming widespread. This marks yet another major development for transhumanism. The first implants have few and simple functions, but are still widely embraced by the public.

2051. Holocams are becoming widespread. These devices are like cameras, but their function is considerably more advanced. Holocams are capable of taking three-dimensional scans that can be uploaded and viewed as holograms.

2051. Technological unemployment is beginning to spiral out of control, having surpassed 10 percent. It will get much worse, and the current people in power have no real idea how to stop it yet.

2051. Reasonably reliable mind scanning technology, capable of reading thoughts and images in minds, is deployed in the United States. At this stage, it is restricted to a few areas, mostly airports/spaceports and other high-security areas, yet people still complain about civil liberties. In time, it will be expanded to cover all public locations. One serious concern is the occasional false positives that are produced, but these are outnumbered by criminals who would have otherwise walked free.

2051. The United Kingdom and Scandinavia join Europe at last, making the country of Europe encompass the entire continent.

2052. Clothing with wearable nanotech is becoming fashionable. The technology has existed since the late Twenties, but did not catch on at the time. By this year, everyone seems to be walking around wearing flashy, highly detailed animations. This new trend moderately annoys the older generations (that would be us).

2052. 3D printing and nanotechnology can now be practically used to produce large-scale structures like bridges and buildings. Much work goes into making the Superhighway system, which has now expanded into Canada, even stronger. It also ushers in the Glass-and-Nanotube age of architecture; the 5900-foot Innovation Building in Washington, D.C. becomes one of the first major examples of this style.

2052. Invisibility technology is becoming cheap and reliable enough to be applied to military vehicles and armor. Several next-generation tanks have optional invisibility, as do various military aircraft and spacecraft like the F-80 Pteranodon and the A5 Jackalope.

2052. The bases on the moon and Mars are expanding into civilian towns and cities, with many non-astronauts living and working there. For instance, Armstrong City on the moon has over a thousand residents. There are dozens of people who were born on those two bodies. Mars is even developing its own mining industry. However, the asteroid belt remains pretty much uninhabited except for those who are there for the now-extensive mining industry.

2052. Designer babies are becoming practical. For enough money, parents can now ensure that their children are free of genetic disorders, and can even dictate certain traits. Many people are angered by this, but it is nevertheless being done.

2052. After a terrible accident involving flying space debris from the war kills 48 people on board a private civilian space station, a global effort at removing space junk from earth orbit begins. Dozens of ships with huge magnets and other trapping devices are deployed, gathering many thousands of tons of garbage and shipping it to earth to be recycled.

2052. FIVR is practical and affordable for consumers. However, it will never gain widespread use among anyone but hardcore gamers. Most others are satisfied with VAR goggles (Virtual/Augmented Reality goggles), which are indeed ubiquitious. In any public place in the early Fifties, one would see almost everyone under 40—and a good number of older people—wearing what appear to be very dark, slightly bulky-looking sunglasses.

2053. Thanks to advances in medicine, genetics, and medical nanotechnology, many common causes of death, such as heart disease and cancer, have been reduced by 95 to 99 percent. Cancer is no longer the major killer it once was, and can nearly always be cured.

2053. Jacob King becomes 50th President of the United States, ending a streak of three mediocre-to-terrible presidents. Like Harvey Drake, he is something of a visionary. His main goals as president are slowing down global warming, establishing a manned base in the outer Solar System, and saving the capitalist system by resolving technological unemployment.

2053. A rift is opening between northern and southern Mexico. Northern Mexico has become rather highly developed, with a high standard of living and a strong economy built around desalination, solar power, and vertical agriculture. It is taking serious hits from climate change, but is still standing. Southern Mexico, on the other hand, is a desertified global warming ravaged wasteland ruled mostly by drug lords. The situation in the rest of Central America is even worse. South America fares slightly better, with Brazil being by far the greatest power in the region. Brazil has been heavily industrialized, but has lost half the Amazon Rainforest and thousands of species.

2053. Enormous space stations capable of harvesting solar power in earth orbit are being created, such as NASA's Helios and SpaceX's Icarus. These stations then beam the power down to substations on earth, where they are beamed straight to power receivers in homes.

2054. President King unveils his plan to end technological unemployment in the United States. In the first year alone, 45 million jobs in STEM fields are created: enough to make a dent in technological unemployment, but not enough to end it. The problem still continues. However, in most developed countries, leaders are emulating King's methods. It seems that capitalism may yet survive.

2054. A working space gun is constructed on the moon. 25 kilometers long and 5 kilometers high, it functions similar to a giant railgun, launching 10-meter-wide capsules into lunar orbit. Due to the high escape velocity, such devices are not practical on earth or Mars. However, they are highly useful on the moon and drastically cut the cost needed to get to lunar orbit.

2054. Global warming has caused the average temperature to rise 3 Celsius since the beginning of the century. Climate change denial is virtually nonexistent, the effects are so obvious. Over the past few years, thousands of square miles of coastal urban areas have been inundated, killing hundreds of thousands and displacing 15 million, a mere fraction of what is to come. New deserts are appearing left and right; major ones include the Midwest Desert in the United States, the Amazon Desert in Brazil, the Central African Desert in Africa (this replaces the Congo Rainforest, mostly), and the Spanish-Italian Desert in southern Europe. The first recorded Category 6 hurricanes strike the United States in this year as well. Interestingly, Russia, Greenland, and Canada have benefited from climate change. Vast swathes of land in Siberia are now industrializing, and Canada has its eye on superpower status within 25 years.

2054. The latest telescopes in earth orbit and on the moon are capable of directly photographing even the smallest exoplanets. They are capable of taking images as detailed as one pixel per 50-100,000 square miles, just enough to identify features such as oceans and continents. A total of 100,000 exoplanets have been discovered, and millions more are expected to be found in the Exoplanet Catalog Project, which launches in this year.

2054. A seventeen-year-old blogger-journalist affiliated with Bloggers United manages to almost singlehandedly destroy the cult of personality surrounding North Korea's Kim dynasty. The effect is to completely kick out the legs from under the dictatorship. Within three months, after a nearly-bloodless revolution—only about a thousand people were killed—a secretly moderate politician rises to power and makes North Korea a democracy, himself becoming its first president. The country's relations with the rest of the world improve almost overnight.

2054. The first generation of fusion rockets are developed. They cut travel time through deep space drastically. A journey to the moon takes only 18 to 20 hours, while a trip to Mars can be done in just two or three months. The first manned mission to the outer Solar System also launches in this year with fusion rockets.

• FrogCAT, Infinite and peaterlanster like this

Spoiler

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• peaterlanster likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users