Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

My new, improved timeline of the future

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

more plz keep up the good work

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

and if we have ideas can we add to the timeline to help you or just tell u to consider something to add

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Well, the 21st century is done. I've got absolutely no problem with somebody else suggesting ideas (or making a rival thread!).

2095 to 2099

Just a few more years remain until the end of the century. The progress to a world government is really picking up, while androids and synthetics (many millions of each now exist) continue to become more and more accepted across the world.

2095. With the world population reaching twelve billion, the general public is at last starting to be interested in arcologies. This year is considered to be the beginning of the Arcology Boom, as dozens of these colossal skyscrapers begin construction around the world.

2095. Miniaturized fusion engines have been developed. Previously, fusion drives were enormous, and thus limited to aircraft and spacecraft, but now they have become miniaturized to the point that small, low-power versions capable of fitting inside cars or even drones are on the market for the equivalent of less than $1000 in 2016 dollars.

2095. Countries continue to merge, as most of the countries in Central America and the Carribean hand over control to either the USNA or the SAU. Admission to the two larger countries provides great economic and military benefits to the smaller nations.

2095. An official Lunar Highway System is under construction on the Moon, with Lunar Highway 1 breaking ground near Armstrong City in this year. For the first time in history, four-lane paved highways are being constructed on another planet (or moon, if you want to call it that).

2096. The corporate simulations of forty years prior have been adapted into much larger versions, called governance engines, capable of aiding entire governments. Smaller nations such as Japan, Korea, and Antarctica are now beginning to use these simulations to test the effects of policies and government initiatives to determine the best way to run the countries.

2096. The remaining territory in North Africa is divided between the African Federation and the Arabic Republic (aka Arabia). Though there are some territorial disputes between the two nations—coming dangerously close to large-scale conflict at times—the matter is mostly resolved peacefully by third-party arbiters.

2097. The Mars Company begins constructing a colossal space station in interplanetary space beyond Mars orbit. At four kilometers in length, the station is larger than the next ten largest space stations and can have multiple interplanetary ships dock with it. The station will prove to be extremely useful as a refueling station on the way to and from the outer Solar System.

2097. A single brain implant capable of controlling most common appliances, computers, and autonomous cars is unveiled. This is the first of many steps that will be taken towards generalized brain implants in the 22nd century.

2098. There are no more third-world countries, by the standards of a century ago. Thanks to the advent of democracy across the world, global webnets access, vastly improved agriculture by means of vertical farming, and space-based solar power have all dramatically raised the standard of living worldwide. Of course, some countries do have higher standards of living than others, but it's a question of very high versus high not high versus low.

2098. Experiments are being done into creating weather control satellites, a step up in technological complexity from the geoengineering techniques explored in the Sixties. These satellites are crude and inaccurate in the beginning, but eventually they will gain significant practical applications.

2098. Further improvements are being made in antimatter production, with the cost being reduced to several thousand dollars per gram. However, antimatter still only remains useful for applications such as bombs, where the goal is simply to release a lot of energy in a tiny area.

2099. The international World Government Talks are held in this year, marking the first official step towards world government. Most of the fifteen or so remaining nations are highly supportive of this , but it is not an uncontroversial move, especially among the more powerful nations.

2099. Androids, once used to do menial semi-skilled tasks and general service, are now finding it difficult to be employed in these roles as automation marches on. However, with societal changes in the past few decades, they are able to begin being employed in previously human fields, such as STEM. They do not, of course, replace humans, but instead compliment them, providing more manpower to get things done.

• Infinite likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
85 years on (metaphorically xD) and the timeline is turning out great! Great writing Jakob! Keep it going :)
  • Jakob likes this

Is minic an fhírinne searbh.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

So what is the biggest accomplishment of the 21st century in your timeline Jakob?

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

do more and whenever u can add space stuff and try not to make it to grim at first maybe after a few years in space make a colony of ppl go missing and investigation and add the investigation and where it stands every few years and ether find out what happen or not happen at all like the investigation be called off but eventually its found out some how how and wht happened to the ppl is up to you and try to add a few alien races to ur story make some in the species friendly how is up to u and make a few species that we wipe out if u have ever seen starship troopers do something like that if u can but if u cant get it done immediately then figure out how to work it in like mention it in passing as other stuff is happing and try to invent ur own tech as well if u can if u cant then tht is ok but I hope u take my suggestions and use them  but use ur ideas as well thay are good but try to add more evry year if u can thank you

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,222 posts

85 years on (metaphorically xD) and the timeline is turning out great! Great writing Jakob! Keep it going :)

Yep, I have enough ideas for at least a few more decades. I've been heavily influenced by the PRAXIS timeline (great read), but my version has moar tech that gets developed faster. Not actually sure which path is more likely.

Though I might start shamelessly stealing ideas from the PRAXIS timeline as I run out of my own. (Of course, I'll still  have my own ideas mixed in there, since in my version, space travel, transhumanism, and tech in general are progressing faster.)

So what is the biggest accomplishment of the 21st century in your timeline Jakob?

Hard one. I would have to go with either having more than half a million people in space (not all of them immigrants!), creating synthetic humans, or ending technological unemployment.

• Infinite likes this

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,222 posts

This is where we stand in 2100 on my timeline.

In space, more than half a million people live beyond Earth. The Moon has about 310,000, while Mars has more than 240,000 (and is also home to the most populous off-Earth city, Ares, with a population of nearly 70,000). The asteroid belt has another seven thousand, the Jovian system has four thousand, and the Saturnian system has nearly 2000, almost all on Titan. Thousands of space stations, most of them privately owned (some are even in the hands of individuals), orbit the Earth, and many more orbit the Moon and Mars. The largest are big enough to comfortably hold several hundred to a few thousand people. Three space elevators allow people to travel into space for the cost of a mere $150-225 per person (in 2016 dollars, and depending on the space elevator). Fusion rockets have advanced to the point that the Moon can be reached in eight hours, Mars in eight weeks, and Saturn in eight months. Meanwhile, terraforming is rolling along on Mars. Further afield, tens of millions of exoplanets have been discovered and photographed with high levels of detail; a good number appear to host some degree of life.

Transport has changed at least as drastically in the 2000s as it did in the 1900s. Vehicles travel so fast that speeds are typically expressed in miles per minute, not miles per hour. Mid-range cars typically travel at 4 to 6 mpm, and short/mid-distance magtrains, up to 12 mpm. Long-distance vactrains are far faster, reaching 60 to 70 mpm, and Orbital Transport has become as cheap as airplanes were a century ago; indeed OT has largely replaced airplanes. Although it is not particularly useful for distances of less than a thousand miles or so, it is capable of traveling anywhere on Earth in 45 minutes or less. It should be noted that despite these colossal speeds, fatal accidents are virtually nonexistent; only a couple hundred per year occur worldwide due to autonomous vehicles (cars on major highways are required by law to be autonomous in most countries by this point), AI-guided traffic control, and improved medical technology in case of an actual crash. Even the Moon—with its population of 310,000—is developing a highway system.

Energy, too, has progressed in leaps and bounds. The per capita energy consumption has risen to almost 25 kilowatts; humanity is approaching 0.9 on the Kardashev Scale. Most futurists agree that Type I status will be attained in 50 to 100 years. Fossil fuels mostly are relegated to niche applications; fusion and solar (mostly space-based solar, supplied by dozens of space stations) make up 90% of the energy market. Thanks to a global wireless electricty grid, very few vehicles electronic devices need their own power source, although electronics intended for use in very remote areas do have batteries. Energy costs, meanwhile, have dropped to around 15-18% of what they were 100 years ago. Extensive research is being done in making nuclear fusion ever more powerful and efficient, while other energy researchers work extensively to figure out the secret to practical antimatter power/fuel.

Global life expectancy has risen to 114; thus, the average person dying in 2100 was born in 1985/86, and the oldest person alive was born in 1965. People on anti-aging treatment remain physically about 30 or 35 until they are around 60 or 70. About the only deaths by disease are due to very rare diseases; the big killers from a century ago—like cancer and heart disease—can be prevented or cured trivially. Genome sequencing is done at birth for effectively 100% of the population. This has led to personalized medicine being universal. Also, the vast majority of babies in the Centurial generation (2100's children and early teens) and the Epsilon generation (2100's late teens and young adults) are designer babies, and thus free of virtually all genetic problems and risks. Medical nanobots capable of combating diseases and healing minor injuries patrol the bloodstreams of many people, and more sophisticated and expensive versions can protect against major injuries, injuries that would have likely been fatal one hundred or even fifty years ago.

On the flip side, a devastating array of high-tech weaponry has been invented in the 21st century. Not only have handheld railguns been invented, but so have laserguns capable of firing thousands of shots without needing their batteries replaced. Their power ranges from hundreds of kilowatts to a few megawatts, so even smaller laserguns are more destructive than a typical railgun. Their range is also greater: ten to twelve miles as opposed to four or five. Invariably, soldiers have transhuman upgrades and are aided by innovations such as smart helmets, telepathic communication, and tactical AIs. Nanoweapons have replaced chemical and biological weapons, and are far more versatile and deadly. They are almost impossible to block or filter—especially the latest versions, which are augmented with picotechnology and can destroy or disable filters—and are capable of killing in seconds or even causing targets to turn on each other. If a military of 2100 were to fight against its counterpart(s) in 2000, the resulting battle would likely be over in under an hour.

The world population stands at 12.3 billion, including many millions of synthetics; nearly one in thirty babies born in 2100 were made through ectogenesis. As many as twenty or thirty million androids are registered as citizens across the world. Although they are still regarded with some suspicion and prejudice—the Metal Storm uprising was only three decades ago—they are making strides towards recieving equal rights globally. Religion is on the decline across the world, with the slight majority of people now being irreligious; Islam has surpassed Christianity as the most common religion. A slihgt majority of the world population utilizes transhuman powers, which can not only increase speed and strength (the most elite transhuman athletes can sustain speeds of 25 miles per hour for over a mile, for instance), but boost memory, spatial reasoning, and the ability to think logically under stress. Thanks to medical nanobots in their bloodstreams, they rarely need vaccinations or other medical treatment to stay disease-free, and can even survive multiple stabbings or gunshots. It should be noted that there is no technical definition of how heavily upgraded one must be to be considered transhuman; it is simply a matter of personal identity. Although mostly/entirely biological humans are still very common in mainstream society, technophobic groups such as the Amish are becoming rapidly more uncomfortable with the state of the world around them.

Technological unemployment has automated virtually all menial jobs, although thanks to a variety of economic and educational reforms in the Fifties and Sixties, the problem of technological unemployment was solved, to the point that the global unemployment rate is only 3 percent for adults aged 25+. Education has been privatized and moved almost entirely to the virtual realm. As a result, a child's school is not determined by what district they live in, but by what school is best suited to their talants. Distance is neither here nor there; a single class might have students from the USNA, China, Antarctica, and the Moon. Education is extremely intense and competetive (especially from the high school level onwards) and is taken very seriously by most students. MAUG implants and generally improved intelligence have reduced the need for rote memorization of facts and formulas, so classes are heavily geared towards learning to think and innovate. Nevertheless, the breadth and depth of the coursework would astound an observer from a century ago. Higher education is near-universal, and the difficulty of coursework at the undergraduate level is even more incredible; research is almost always a requirement. Universities, however, still mostly exist in meatspace.

Employment these days is mostly (about 75-80 percent) found in the STEM fields, although other options exist. Writers, vrgame developers, and other entertainers still exist, as do educators, businesspeople, politicians, and soldiers. Thanks to social adaptations and education reform, only about 6 percent of the world population is below the official poverty line. While welfare no longer exists in most countries (Europe, Antarctica, and Australizeland are notable exceptions), private charities exist for the genuinely needy, and are much better at actually driving people to get back onto their feet ("teach a man to fish", as it were). Life satisfaction by country ranges from 7.8 to 8.5, with an average of about 8.1 (considerably higher than a century ago). Thanks to great increases in surveilance and the introduction of technology such as predictive algorithms, crime rates have been reduced by orders of magnitude, and even successful criminals are generally caught within minutes or hours.

Entertainment has been revolutionized with the introduction of FIVR over the past few decades. Full Immersion Virtual Reality is almost indistinguishable from reality, and a good portion of the population uses it for gaming. Entire virtual worlds—some of them created by thousands of amateurs collaborationg for years—exist, with an impressive level of deail. Gamers can easily visit and play in a recreation of the Cretaceous, or a projection of the Earth in three billion years, or a fantasy world like Middle-Earth, or thousands of other choices. FIVR also has serious applications: militaries use it to train their soldiers in fully realistic environments, while businesspeople often meet in virtual reality instead of traveling hundreds or thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of miles to meet in meatspace. Regular old Virtual/Augmented Reality Goggles still exist for more lightweight applications, though the term "Goggles" is antiquated: the newest models can fit into the eye like contact lenses, while still packing more computational power than the actual goggles of 30+ years ago. Video games and movies have long sense merged into vrgames, with non-standard, only semi-linear plotlines. More ordinary forms of entertainment like novels still exist, though physical books have not been printed by mainstream publishers for nearly 70 years. Fantasy is a very common genre these days, moreso than science fiction (you can get your scifi by looking around you in 2100...).

2100 to 2109 will follow this weekend.

• Infinite likes this

Spoiler

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Yep, I have enough ideas for at least a few more decades. I've been heavily influenced by the PRAXIS timeline (great read), but my version has moar tech that gets developed faster. Not actually sure which path is more likely.

Though I might start shamelessly stealing ideas from the PRAXIS timeline as I run out of my own. (Of course, I'll still have my own ideas mixed in there, since in my version, space travel, transhumanism, and tech in general are progressing faster.)

I read the PRAXIS timeline! Loved it. The only fault I have with it is that humans are still inherently biological in it, and that it seems unfinished. Very entertaining though!

Using that timeline as inspiration sounds great! But make sure to stamp your own style onto your timeline, as you said.

Looking forward the next century! :p

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

very well do the same thing if and when u get to the end of the centry and or 50 years into the 2100s thank you

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,222 posts

Though I might start shamelessly stealing ideas from the PRAXIS timeline as I run out of my own. (Of course, I'll still have my own ideas mixed in there, since in my version, space travel, transhumanism, and tech in general are progressing faster.)

I read the PRAXIS timeline! Loved it. The only fault I have with it is that humans are still inherently biological in it, and that it seems unfinished. Very entertaining though!

Using that timeline as inspiration sounds great! But make sure to stamp your own style onto your timeline, as you said.

Truth be told, it didn't bother me much since it was a great story otherwise. I have this vague feeling that it's got something mine doesn't.

That said, whole forcefields can be penetrated by swords but not guns thing, on the other hand, is unsound. And taken from Dune. And why is every other technological breakthrough a weapon or a battleship??? And why is the space military modeled after the Navy? And why can humans and aliens have viable offspring?

All very minor points, since I keep obsessively returning to that timeline :)

Edited by Jakob, 29 January 2016 - 09:22 PM.

• QuantumAscension likes this

Spoiler

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Truth be told, it didn't bother me much since it was a great story otherwise. I have this vague feeling that it's got something mine doesn't.

That said, whole forcefields can be penetrated by swords but not guns thing, on the other hand, is unsound. And taken from Dune. And why is every other technological breakthrough a weapon or a battleship??? And why is the space military modeled after the Navy? And why can humans and aliens have viable offspring?

All very minor points, since I keep obsessively returning to that timeline :)
Haha true, true. :) Damn military ideologies! xD
  • Jakob likes this

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

do some elaments from starship troppers or enders game or star wars or do all of it but with your own twist plz

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

and im wating for the next instalment

plz

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,222 posts

2100. Another generation is beginning: the Post-Centurials. This generation will grow up in a world of arcologies, rewilding, and the first concrete plans to travel to the stars. But they will also grow up in an era of great controversy over the matter of unification and an interplanetary government, an issue that will become bitterly polarizing over the next decade.

2100. In addition to having multiple fields of expertise, the majority of people now work two or even three jobs. This is generally not because of a lack of money, but because of personal interest. People typically have one job that puts food on the table and pays the bills (though most enjoy even this), plus another part-time job or two that are even more of a "fun thing" and a boost to one's income.

2100. The number of languages in active use has shrunk to a handful. Virtually all people on Earth (or off it, for that matter), speak one of four languages: English, Chinese, Russian, or Hindi. Arabic and Spanish still have millions of users, but virtually all other languages are fading from everyday use. In FIVR gaming subcultures, many constructed languages are also becoming popular, but rarely are they anyone's actualy native tongue. Of course, in a sense, everyone can communicate in every language, due to machine translation and brain implants.

2100.* As the 22nd century begins, new types of sports are beginning to form. They tend to be very heavy on strategy, tactics, and outside-the-box thinking, although of course physical prowess is also important. One promising new sport is Capture, in which teams are transported to a playing field—which can be anything from forest to desert to urban area—and must take each other down with nonlethal weapons (such as guns that fire nanobot stunners instead of bullets). Fitting with the theme of wits and adaptability, there are no rules except that players cannot put each other's lives at risk, and must remain in the playing area until one team surrenders or has all its players elliminated. This is mostly played by high school and college students at first, but within a decade, there are elite leagues for it.

2101. The fifth generation of Full Immersion Virtual Reality has arrived. Hardware has advanced to the point where the basic FIVR package can run on a single brain implant. Software has also advanced, to the point where reality can be simulated down to a micron or less. Custom senses also make their debut in this generation of FIVR, with users being able to sense heat, magnetism, or a variety of other senses in-game.

2102. The next major milestone in android rights occurs, as androids are granted the right to vote in the USNA and Europe. Other countries are quick to follow, and within a few years, androids will have voting rights worldwide.

2103. The Unity Alliance is formed in an attempt to facilitate the development of a World Government. While most nations have joined the Unity Alliance, there are several holdouts, most of them among the strongest nations in the world, who have the least to gain from such an alliance.

2103. In the 2080s, computational power briefly resumed exponential growth as picotechnology gained viable applications in computing. But now, it is returning to linear growth again, as most of the obvious applications of computational picotechnology have been put into use. The typical desktop computer is now quadrillion of times faster than one of 90 or so years ago.

2104. Humans land on Mercury for the fourth time. This time, though, they are here to stay. The first twenty colonists land during the Mercurian night and quickly work to construct a shelter to protect themselves from the sunrise. The shelter is situated in the shadow of a crater and is located partially underground for maximum protection.

2104. Reliable mind-scanning technology, capable of determining peoples' thoughts and motives, has existed for about 40 years, but has been relatively clunky and invasive. Now, advances are being made, allowing mind-scanning to be done wirelessly in about two seconds. This new technology is installed at important governmental, corporate, and military facilities around the world, allowing people to instantly detect, if, say a spy is trying to get in.

2105. As progress towards a world government continues, the issue begins to become highly controversial. Relations between Unity Alliance members and nonmembers begin to get tense. The nonmembers—USNA, Russia, China, and a couple of others—fear being made weak and irrelevant by the establishment of a world government and are thus committed to stopping it from happening. The Unity Alliance members, for there part, are determined to get all the nations of the world to agree with their plan. In the USNA, the country's fourth president, the moderate/centrist Benjamin Harvey is elected, and, while he does not join the Unity Alliance, he is very hesitant to take a firm side.

2106. Thirty-four years after synthetics gained human rights in the United States, synthetic humans now have full human rights in every country, with Oceania and the Arabic Republic being the last nations to do so. By now, more than 5 percent of all newborns are synthetic, and that number is rapidly increasing.

2107. The most powerful supercomputers can be used to simulate an even greater level of detail than even 5th generation FIVR. Using quantum chromodynamic latticing, areas as large as a cubic micrometer can now be simulated down to the quantum level, with complete accuracy. This allows for astounding breakthroughs in biology, as cells can be perfectly simulated and understood.

2108. With the global average temperature on the way down, and people beginning to move into arcologies in ever-larger numbers, several corporations and nonprofits have expressed an interest in rewilding projects.

2109. Benjamin Harvey fails to win a second term as president of the USNA, having angered many people with his refusal to take sides on the world government issue. Meanwhile, public opinion in the country has turned vehemently against joining the Unity Alliance. The next president wins the election in the largest landslide in USNA or US history, running on an anti-UA platform.

2109. This year marks a major milestone in space colonization: one million people now live in space. The Moon still has the highest population of any body besides Earth, but Mars is rapidly catching up. Ceres, Europa, Ganymede, and Titan all have thousands of inhabitants, while a few other asteroids and Jovian and Saturnian moons have hundreds.

• ironland and Infinite like this

Spoiler

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

gj keep it up

• Jakob likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,222 posts

2110 to 2119

Things have turned sour across the world in a single decade. In Benjamin Harvey's presidency (2105 to 2109), the issue of whether or not to have a world government had gone from a theoretical matter to debate about to a highly polarizing us-versus-them issue with real consequences coming in the next decade. It looks like there will be one more bitter fight to turn man against man.

2110.* Medical nanobots have continued advancing in capability. While they have been able to repair wounds for quite some time, the newest nannites are taking it to a whole new level, as they are capable of covering up wounds almost instantly, creating replacement skin in under a minute, and then dissolving into mist. Such systems can be beaten, but it takes unbelievably powerful instadeath weapons (like cutting-edge railguns or megawatt-scale lase rifles) to do any damage. People who utilize these nannites could withstand hundreds of shots from a conventional gun of a century ago, and even multiple hits from early railguns. These nannites can also protect against falls and other accidents to a great degree.

2111. After three quarters of a century, the global Superhighway system is finished with a segment in central Asia. Now, all the major cities in the world, on all seven continents, are linked by road, creating a truly global transportation system. Some of the older sections of the system, in the USNA and Siberia, are also being rebuilt to modern standards. Such an operation is less difficult and time-consuming than it would have been a century ago, thanks to nanotechnology, robots, 3D printing, and shapeshifting tech. However, in general, fewer and fewer people frequently travel significant distances by car anymore.

2112. Shapeshifting technology has continued to progress in both scale and utility. Numerous applications medium-scale (in other words, things on an everyday, human scale) shapeshifting nanotechnology are becoming viable in industrial processes, infrastructure maintenence, and the military. Eventually, even entire buildings and megastructures will make use of shapeshifting tech.

2114. The tension between the Unity Alliance members and nonmembers approaches a breaking point. Armed forces around the world are on maximum alert and all nonessential travel into or out of Unity Alliance countries is barred. All countries except the USNA, China, and Russia—the three strongest countries in the world at this point, in that order—have joined the UA.

2115. In the tense times of the mid-2110s, someone launches the first missile. Nobody knew at the time whether the UA or one of its opponents attacked first, but within minutes, war is declared. Thus begins the Unity War, the last major war fought on Earth. Within an hour, the conflict spreads to orbitspace and the Moon, but the other inhabited planets and moons in the Solar System do not get involved in the fray.

2115. The global average temperature continues to go down, reaching 5 Celsius above 2000 levels by this year. This is thanks to both artificial intervention and a general move towards "greener" products and industrial processes. As such, the sea levels start receeding, and many of the protections employed by cities in the 2080s and 2090s are becoming unneeded. Combined with improved geoengineering, people are cautiously beginning to reclaim the coasts again.

2117. The roots of the Martian Seperatist Movement begin this year with Lithia Johnson, a terraforming specialist born to two Martian immigrants in 2089. Johnson, like a number of Martians in her generation, is disillusioned with the planet's system of governance, believing that Mars should be led by an independent president instead of a governor who answers to authorities on Earth. It is in this year that Johnson secretly begins speaking to like-minded people and organizing plans to eventually establish Mars as an independent country.

2118. The first prototype mind downloading procedures are being done. This procedure allows information to be directly incorporated into a person's mind instead of simply being stored in a MAUG implant. This has several advantages over MAUG implants, including the ability to build upon the downloaded information instead of simply referring to it. It's the difference between knowing something and being able to look it up by thought power. However, even a single dowload costs the equivalent of millions of dollars and cannot transfer much information.

2118. Even while locked in the bitter Unity War, the countries of the world recognize the value of space expeditions in the name of all humanity. As such, numerous governmental and corporate agencies begin working together to design what will be the first probe intended as an interstellar vehicle. Its destination will be Alpha Centauri, which has been observed to have four planets; three are covered in lava, but one, Alpha Centuari Bd, appears to be a normal-ish (if cold) barren planet.

2119. Meterological warfare is becoming a viable combat method. Weather control satellites have become powerful and precise enough to wreak havoc on enemy operations. For instance, a naval base of operations could be shut down by violent manmade category 6 hurricaines, or a huge rainstorm could be generated to flood enemy cities. Such technology is put to work in the Unity War to spectacular efffect, both physical and psychological.

Spoiler

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

do more but look up the movie demolition man and also make a few extnct animmals come back and make stuff go rong with it evry once and awiale

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,222 posts

2120 to 2129

The first quarter of the 22nd century ends, and with it, the Unity War. An interplanetary government is now in place, stretching from the craters of Mercury to the lakeshores of Titan. Massive breakthroughs continue in weather control, biology, computing, and Martian terraforming, but meanwhile anger and dissent is brewing among the Martian seperatists.

2120. The next generation, the Global Generation is beginning, consisting of people born and synthesized between 2120 and 2140. Notably, they will be the last generation that is mostly born instead of made, and the last generation to live in a world divided into separate countries. They are a transition of sorts, from an era when humanity was split into squabbling factions, into the era when mankind will travel to the stars united. But the scars of the Unity War will run deep among these people (and their predecessors, the Post-Centurials [2100 to 2120]), and only the following generation will truly act global.

2120. With advances in medicine, biology, and transhumans, aging has long since been drastically slowed. Seventy-year-olds are often physically thirty and the average life expectancy is in the 120s. Even old age tends to be relatively quick and painless, with little sign of the slow deterioration so common in old age in previous centuries. Social change tends to lag behind technological change, but by the 2120s, society is beginning to adapt to this heightened longevity. One place where this is common is in marriage; marriages typically are not indefinite, but have an expiry period, and are typically set to last somewhere between ten and one hundred years. Of course, the old-fashioned indefinite marriages still exist—especially among the religious—but are becoming less common.

2121. Six years into the Unity War, it has become apparent that both sides are roughly evenly matched. Both sides are quietly beginning to consider a cease-fire, but then a presidential election in China leads to a pro-world government president taking office. China switches to the side of the Unity Alliance, shifting the balance against the USNA and Russia, though they will continue to hold out for a few more years.

2123. Ectogenesis technology has become significantly faster, more powerful, and more reliable in recent years. By this point, a significant minority of all humans being born are synthetics; human ectogenesis takes only two weeks now, and has a 98 percent success rate (a vast improvement over the 25 to 30 percent success rate of about half a century ago). Indeed, it is now possible to synthesize entirely new species from scratch, to literally create plants and animals that never existed before. This is being used by rewilding agencies to tweak and improve upon the ecosystems they are rebuilding.

2123*. The Mars Company is beginning construction on a colossal new spacecraft called the Grand Tour ship. This will be the largest space vehicle ever built, capable of very comfortably housing 2400 people (nearly three times as many as the previous record). The ship is fashioned in the shape of a giant torus about a mile across and spins to simulate Earth gravity. This is part of the company's massive plan to establish its presence in the outer Solar System; partially on the moons of Juipter and Saturn, but especially on those of Uranus and Neptune, which have yet to be visited, except by robots.

2124. After fifty years of terraforming on Mars, noticable progress is being made. The average temperature has risen to -35 Fahrenheit and the average air pressure is approaching the Armstrong Limit. However, this is still not exactly friendly to life, so all but the most heavily upgraded transhumans still require spacesuits, and even transhumans generally need some form of protection. Celebrations are held in Ares—which is now large enough to be considered a city, even by Earth standards—and across the planet. Membership in the Martian Seperatist Movement spearheaded by Lithia Johnson skyrockets as Martian Pride becomes a common sentiment. The authorities on Earth are too busy fighting the Unity War to pay much attention to these goings-on.

2124. After nine years of bitter fighting, and relentless attacks from the north, east, and orbitspace, the USNA finally surrenders to the Unity Alliance forces. It seems that even the three strongest nations could not stand forever against everyone else. Now, only Russia continues to fight the UA, and even they are faltering.

2125. The Unity War finally ends after 35 million deaths. The fatality count is far lower than it could have been, however. Had the combat methods of the 1900s and 2000s—with people going into direct military engagements against each other—been used, a quarter or even half of the world population could have been destroyed, so powerful is the military technology by this point. Instead, combat mostly focused on crippling the other side by destroying their infrastructure, not killing their soldiers. A world government, called the Interplanetary Republic (IPR for short) is established, though fairly generous surrender terms are given to the non-UA members to ensure their cooperation. The first president of the IPR is elected a few weeks later.

2126. Android rights have taken another step forward, as android marriage—both to other androids and to humans—is legalized. By this point, there are only a handful of rights that humans have and androids do not, and younger generations like the Centurials and the Post-Centurials accept them as equals. Most androids now work alongside humans in fields previously reserved for the latter, though this has not come at the loss of human jobs, as there is always room for more innovators and creators.

2127. With a world government solidly in place, authorities begin to deal with the matter of what to do with those who reject the high technology that permeates every aspect of society. To this end, a series of 54 Luddite Reservations are established around the world. Millions of people who have chosen to reject modern technology flock to these reservations for the opportunity to enjoy lifestyles similar to those that were common 100, 200, or 300 years ago.

2127. Weather control has been fine-tuned enough to have peaceful applications. Although the technology is still crude, weather control satellites are being deployed for a variety of nonmilitary purposes, such as to aid with rewilding and to stop natural disasters with greater precision and power than ground-based geoengineering techniques.

2128. Generalized brain implants are released to the general public. This allows people to have a single brain implant for all basic and common tasks, instead of having multiple implants inserted one at a time. Obviously, this is cheaper and less invasive, and it takes off rapidly. However, more complicated and less common tasks still require specialized implants.

2129. Perfect simulations have improved to the point that cubic millimeters can be simulated down to the quantum level. More breakthroughs in biology, psychology, and other fields continue to stream forth from the QCDL (Quantum Chromodynamic Latticing) laboratories at an astounding rate.

2129. The Martian Seperatist Movement has exploded into the mainstream and begun rattling sabers on Mars. With thousands of heavily armed and well-organized people on their side, they quickly occupy major cities such as Ares and demand to be recognized as an individual nation. Diplomats arrive to try to restore peace, but they are accompanied by thousands of IPAF (Interplanetary Armed Forces) soldiers in case things get out of hand.

Spoiler

peaterlanster

peaterlanster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

gj and add more like stuff from the demilitan man like the cyro prison and fast food wars (in the movie toco bell wins)but be creative on that and it evataly falls well look it up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users