Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

What Makes You Feel Old?

2016 2017 2000 1994 1970 2006 1996 1986 Nostalgia Nostalgic

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Continuation of this thread
http://www.futuretim...3-10-years-ago/

This is where we'll discuss such things!

"Whaddya mean the '90s were more than 10 years ago?!"

Some of these come from Buzzfeed!

enhanced-buzz-21321-1337103359-1.jpg
^ Nope, now he would travel back from 2016 to 1986. In fact, after the first movie was made!

1965 – 1990 is equal to 1990 – 2015. Think about it.

Green Day is now considered “classic rock.”
Radiohead is now considered "classic rock".
Nirvana (who supposedly killed classic rock) is now considered classic rock

If Bart Simpson aged like a real person, he’d be 36 years old today…
enhanced-6971-1446599088-1.png

Speaking of which, the Simpsons has been around for 27 years.

Tommy Pickles would be 25.
enhanced-3502-1446622275-6.jpg

In 4 years from today, a person born on February 6th, 1990 will be 30 years old. It will also have been 30 years from the '90s at some points in time.

You’ve been singing along to “Wonderwall” for 20 years…

anigif_enhanced-16040-1446623344-7.gif
Sony Music / Via wifflegif.com

…which is also how long it’s been since Jagged Little Pill was released.

grid-cell-13334-1446665709-2.jpg

Warner Bros. Records

anigif_original-grid-image-14783-1446586
Warner Bros. Records / Via britneyuniverse.com

enhanced-31859-1446657291-3.jpg

^Actually, some kids born in 2000 will already be juniors in high school. Most kids start high school at age 13 or 14.

The Backstreet Boys aren’t really boys anymore. Here are their ages today…

enhanced-12131-1446594367-7.jpg

Blink-182?

enhanced-17921-1446598917-1.jpg

Will Smith is now older than Uncle Phil was on Fresh Prince.

enhanced-15042-1446594471-1.jpg

• hiraeth and Infinite like this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

i_it_will_make_you_feel_old_007_503264b7

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

helmutkr

It blows my mind that high schoolers today have no memory of 9/11.

[–]NeckbeardDiaries

Sophomore here. According to my mom I was taking a nap during the whole thing.

• Saturn likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

https://www.reddit.c...s_you_feel_old/

https://www.reddit.c...esnt_seem_like/

30-things-that-will-make-you-feel-old-th

If+this+doesn+t+make+you+feel+old+big+th

^12 years ago now

Also, the Xbox 360 is going on 11 years old. 

6709454ce64f0467.jpg?quality=80&strip=al

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
FutureTimeline was started 8 years ago, was it not? I remember reading through it in 2010, and by that time it had already been around for a couple years.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
Saddam Hussein was executed 10 years ago

Tony Blair announced he was stepping down

The Iraq insurgency had yet to peak

Alexander Litvinenko died

Parts of New Orleans were still flooded from Hurricane Katrina

New Horizons was launched— it arrived at Pluto this past year

North Korea detonated their first nuclear weapon

China was still a growing regional power, nowhere near a borderline superpower

There were a billion fewer humans than there are today

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
^That was 2006.

I also remember the Beijing Olympics. I dunno what it was about them. The size and scale? The fact it was hosted in Beijing? The opening ceremony? The fact Mario and Sonic finally competed against each other?

Seriously, the 2008 Olympics were on a whole other level. The only one I see rivalling it is the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

It was also in 2008 that I first became aware of this neat little Arab city known as 'Dubai'. Something about the world's tallest building.

Besides that, Russia attacked Georgia.

Not THAT Georgia, silly USicans. And everyone made a big deal about it being the start of World War III.

Ah, damn, that global economic downturn. I swear— capitalism. Tis a Love Story.
I remembered that everyone made a monstrously big deal about it, but I didn't understand what was going on.

All I remembered was that oil cost $150 a barrel, and that meant gas prices could reach $10 a gallon, which would kill Walmart apparently. I became used to hearing "The Dow dropped 500 points today" to the point it doesn't faze me today.

And I have a cousin who was born in 2009 and doesn't know about any of that. He's in 2nd grade.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Wait, so it's been 20 years since Tupac and Biggie died? And it's also been 20 years since Soundgarden split up. 20 years since Wonderwall, as I posted above, as well as the Battle of Britpop. 20 years since Rage Against the Machine's "Evil Empire". Funnily enough, 30 years since the 'Evil Empire' speech. 

1996 was a better year for music than I ever admitted to it being, Jesus Fuck. And worse. I've only just gotten into Tupac in the past year (he's been my introduction into rap music as a whole, if you discount Deltron), and goddammit, he is coming back, goddammit. I'm also just now getting into Britpop, and I can't choose between Oasis and Blur. Blur gave us Gorillaz, but Oasis gave us some epic riffs and songs. God, I can't... choose...!

What the fuck, Britney Spears was still unknown in 1996, outside of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. 

And I was 2 years old. Well, technically, I was year old until November 1996. I was still in diapers and sucking a pacifier when all this was happening. 

• nomad likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

helmutkr

It blows my mind that high schoolers today have no memory of 9/11.

[–]NeckbeardDiaries

Sophomore here. According to my mom I was taking a nap during the whole thing.

Makes me feel old! I was a Sophomore when the planes hit.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I don't feel old. I probably never will. To me 18 years has been a surreal ephemeral acid trip. Sorta like this

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Omosoap

Omosoap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

I'm one of those that some would probably term an "old soul" meaning that even as a child, the oldest people on earth didn't seem really old. I guess I always viewed things from an "eternal" perspective. Of course, I was also more religious back then. Now, I'm way more open minded, but I still haven't lost my perspectives of time. I see that time ages, but I don't view that as something that has to happen, and I sometimes can see past the outside to the fact that most people, if they haven't gotten world weary, are rather young at heart, meaning their outside doesn't match their inside. In high school, I always laughed at people who said 20 or 30 was so old and that 50 was ancient, because it never seemed that way to me. I still find it odd to this day. Yes, I can feel old if I narrow my focus to a certain time frame and remember how far down my journey I have gone from my past, but, again, it depends on what I'm looking at. For example, in high school, learning from an Australian teacher about aboriginal art and blowing paint from our hands to a paper feels like yesterday, no matter how people have aged. But, back when I was baptized and so pleased about it, seems like it was eons ago. Time has always been a problem for me. I have trouble managing it, because it is not something that is as real to me as others. Maybe I was really supposed to be born in another era or another place in time than this. I always wonder about that, and I often call myself a slow bloomer. Even death didn't bother me, even as a child. I really think maybe I was and still am a very strange person. Lol!

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
It must seem weird to some of you that I didn't even exist when you were experiencing the things listed above. Being fifteen, I can't even comprehend the tragedy of 9/11 on a deeper meaning, but have only ever heard or seen about it through books and videos, while some of you could have actually been in New York at the time. The magic of time.

Is minic an fhírinne searbh.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

When 9/11 happened, I was in class in 2nd grade. I was old enough to remember it happening, but too young to comprehend exactly what was happening. 

From then until 2004, I was scared out of my mind. I couldn't fathom the idea that the USA was this superpower and the terrorists (and Iraq) were largely nothing more than glorified insurgencies. I thought that we were at war a la World War 2 and that my town was gonna get carpet bombed and paratroopers were gonna come down and string me and my dad up onto a light pole, and that we were gonna die any day now.

Then again, that's what he joked about. I just took it too seriously.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I don't know that I feel old from the things behind me as much as I feel old looking forward. The things I wanted to reach in my lifetime seem still so damn far forward that I doubt I will ever see them.

yet I will say that I left home and college behind me about a decade ago, give or take a couple years, and a lot has happened in that time. Many adventures, much wonder. Yet at the same time fundamentally everything is much the same. The world still has no place for me. I'm just as poor now as I was then. I'm just as unemployed now as I was then. Politicians are still talking out their asses and everything around us is still falling apart as people cling to old paradigms that no longer hold water.

but the thing that made me feel oldest lately?

My landlord recently underwent surgery to install a shunt into his brain, where fluid was building up. I went down to check on him. I chatted with him about how he was doing and he said "I know I'm 67 years old according to the rest of the world, but I keep thinking I've only lived 38 or so years." and you can kind of see the haunted look in his face as he realizes that somehow he's nearly 30 years closer to the grave than he was prepared to be. Somehow all those years snuck past him without him noticing... and the age he thinks he is, that's how old the world says I am and yet I'm almost certain that I'm ready to turn 23 this year.

I'm afraid I'll Rip van winkle.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

For me? The fact that I was conceived shortly before the end of the Cold War and the fact that I was born back when Bush Sr. was still the U.S. President. :(

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I'm 21. I was conceived when Kurt Cobain was still alive. 

I've spent most of my life as a child. Being an adult feels weird. And that's what makes me feel old— knowing that I am an adult. A grown-up. 10 years ago, years ago, I still enjoyed childhood. So this is all new to me. 

And yet already I'm thinking about what I'll feel on that morning when I wake up and realize I've been an adult for more than half my life. I'd say that's a long ways a way, but being an adult snuck up on me all the same. It felt like one day I went to bed, still in grade school, and the next, I'm driving to the store to pick up groceries and watching the stock market.

These past 5 years flew by compared to the first 16. That's something else that scares me, and excites me all the same. Time keeps on slipping, and the years feel shorter. Once upon a time, the idea that something happened two years ago made me think, "Wow, that was such a long time ago." However, after I turned 16, the years seemed to mesh together. Something happened a year ago? It feels like it happened last week.

I'm rereading threads and posts from 2014, and I can barely wrap my head around that 2014 was two years ago. 

Maybe this is because my brain is finalizing its changes. When you're young, your brain changes immensely from year to year, and that slows down as you reach adulthood, thus making time more coherent than it ever was before.

What makes this ironic is that technology is changing so much, so rapidly. I mentioned my futureshock, and I wasn't exaggerating. Things like Pepper the Robot and Google's DeepMind are unbelievable. These are things that shouldn't have existed for several more decades, and yet they're here, now. I remember first hearing about Pepper in 2014 and thinking that it was unimpressive. DeepMind sounded cool, but it didn't have too much going for it at the time. Everything changed very quickly. Now Pepper interests me almost as much as ASIMO, and DeepMind is the definition of a hard take-off. 

And despite this, I can't tell you when I noticed a change.

Technological progression is speeding up just as quickly as my sense of time.

• Infinite likes this

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts
  • LocationPlato's Atlantis
Disney channel
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,011 posts

I was born during Reagan, lived Bush sr, Clinton, Bush Jr and Obama.

I remember playing on apple computers from the late 80's a few years after they came out.

I remember needing the telephone line attached into my computer and being cut off by a incoming call.

All t.v's were big box things that got cloudy with black and white dots if things weren't tuned right.

• Infinite likes this

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

illykitty

illykitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationUK

Being just over my mid-twenties, I remember these things:

Dial-up internet

Cassette tapes

VHS

Life before cell phones and smart phones

Pagers

TV series like Friends, Buffy, Charmed, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, etc.

Toys and video games like Tamagotchi, SNES, N64, etc.

I could list tons more but yeah... That makes me feel old, especially when I watched "Kids react" or "Teens react" and they didn't know what some of these things were.

As We Rise

As We Rise

I actually left this time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

5fad377cffb4a7fd95c9ceb7a034d64c.500x501

• Frizz likes this

Let us all come together and help save the world, one tree at a time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016, 2017, 2000, 1994, 1970, 2006, 1996, 1986, Nostalgia, Nostalgic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users