Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

3D Printing News and Discussions

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationChina

http://www.shapeways...ed-Mobiles.html

First 3D printed mobiles:

Posted Image

This thing comes completely assembled out of the printer with 1365 pieces!

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Post-Singularitarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

This article about 3d printed food is very interesting. This could lead to the ubiquity of food that is not only more economical, humanely produced, and environmentally sustainable, but also, personally tailored to your own tastes and health requirements. 

Edited by zen_mutiny, 23 May 2013 - 02:31 PM.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Interesting article about pizza and printing!

http://www.huffingto..._n_3317338.html

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

Baby’s life saved with groundbreaking 3D printed device from University of Michigan that restored his breathing

http://www.uofmhealt...-printed-device

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

That one about 3D printing food is amazing - I did not expect it being seriously worked on for another 3 decades, at best.

And the reabsorbable trachea splint is wonderful.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

NASA, Industry Test Additively Manufactured Rocket Engine Injector

CLEVELAND -- NASA and Aerojet Rocketdyne of West Palm Beach, Fla., recently finished testing a rocket engine injector made through additive manufacturing, or 3-D printing.

This space technology demonstration may lead to more efficient manufacturing of rocket engines, saving American companies time and money.

[...]

This type of injector manufactured with traditional processes would take more than a year to make but with these new processes it can be produced in less than four months, with a 70 percent reduction in cost.

http://www.nasa.gov/...gine-injector-0

• Craven and EVanimations like this

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Household 3D Printers Can Pay For Themselves in a Year

http://gizmodo.com/h...-year-986593950

If you've been pondering over whether a 3D printer is a sound financial decision, here might be your answer: researchers have calculated that they can pay for themselves inside a single year.

The study, conducted at Michigan Technological University, considered 20 common household items—smartphone cases, a garlic press, a shower head, the list goes on—listed on Thingiverse, then used Google Shopping to work out the maximum and minimum cost of buying them online (not including shipping). Then, the researchers also calculated how much it would cost to make each using a household 3D printer.

The results are pretty amazing: it would cost between $312 to $1,944 to buy the items, but just $18 to make using the 3D printer. Clearly, the printers are expensive, but those figures suggest that they can pay for themselves in a time frame of months to years.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

Interesting article. and I'd say it's still up in the air for most people. Some of the things you can make are not up to heavy usage or require secondary processes to make viable (like dip smoothing to even out surface texture and seal it).

But that's for most peoples usage. for people who... oh I don't know, design board games as a hobby, tinker on inventions or an artist, it could likely pay for itse;f in about that time if not less.

Though the trick is that while I can get one for about 800$ and another 75$ for filiment. and eventually invest in a 3d scanner of some kind. The learning time to get decent models in 3d software is a barrier to some. I have faith that I could do it (I taught myself enough in blender to make 3d model rayguns for a weta contest a few years ago, didn't win but I submitted), but between that and the chemistry to make the dip smoothing it's hardly pushbutton printing. One of the other hurdles is that the model I could buy is ABS specific. I want to also build a recycler and use milk jugs as stock materials. So I'd have to print and build a new printer for that and even printing and building them yourself costs a couple hundred. The recycler costs about 200 to make, and a scanner would cost 300-500.

But If I wait three years those prices will drop. So do I jump now or wait?

In the end I could end up paying 1500- 2000 for everything I want, and it's take a long while to make that all back from the results. Probably 3-5 years. and by that point thare may be problems needing upgrade and repair on some of these.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Yeah, the article is extremally optimistic, but shows a certain trend.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

3d ceramic printing. This is brilliant. I'm going to have to look into that. It opens up some serious possibilities.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Create a printable 3D model of any object using only a camera and Web browser

http://www.kurzweila...and-web-browser

How can I use this?

- 3D Print a chess set with your family’s faces on the pieces

- Kids fighting over a toy? Replicate it!

- Easily replicate your dog, horse, cat, lizard, ferret, hamster, boa constrictor

- Make a dollhouse miniature of your sofa.

- 3D scan and print amazing, hard to find props for your next indie movie.

* You can purchase a depth camera for about $200 from Primesense — a lot cheaper than a commercial 3D scanner, which can cost from $3,000 up to $400K. (No, the Leap is not supported.)

This easily puts the new technology in anyone's home-for cheap.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
Create a printable 3D model of any object using only a camera and Web browser

http://www.kurzweila...and-web-browser

How can I use this?

- 3D Print a chess set with your family’s faces on the pieces

- Kids fighting over a toy? Replicate it!

- Easily replicate your dog, horse, cat, lizard, ferret, hamster, boa constrictor

- Make a dollhouse miniature of your sofa.

- 3D scan and print amazing, hard to find props for your next indie movie.

* You can purchase a depth camera for about $200 from Primesense — a lot cheaper than a commercial 3D scanner, which can cost from $3,000 up to $400K. (No, the Leap is not supported.)

This easily puts the new technology in anyone's home-for cheap.

actually it supposedly works with kinect. and so ong as you are not buying the entire gaming system and just the kinect itself it looks like used prices can run anywhere from 50 to 100 dollars.

But I'm going to dig a bit on the web, I swear that years ago there were a couple of howtos on making a 3d scanner with a swivel office chair and a broken scanner.

But depending on how interested you are in cheap but more work you can use a regular digital camera, move it along a specific loop around your target item and snap a picture at eight sites and then along two verticle tracks at eight more points. I suppose you could do the same with sixteen cheap cameras in a booth. You then just upload the 2D images to 3d modeling programs and start lining them up trimming the background, and blending and shaping to fit each other. It's sort of the software equivelant of paper model making.  The results would be really low res poly images. But depending on what you needed it for it could work well enough.

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

3D Printer Bound for Space Station Passes Key Test

August 9, 2013

A 3D printer has notched an important milestone on the way toward its planned launch to the International Space Station next year.

An engineering model of California-based startup Made in Space's 3D printer passed a battery of tests at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., confirming that the machine can survive the rigors of launch and function in a microgravity environment, company officials announced Wednesday (Aug. 7).

http://news.yahoo.co...-091736748.html

Edited by Cody930, 10 August 2013 - 09:19 PM.

• Craven, EVanimations and Sciencerocks like this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,731 posts
3D Printer Bound for Space Station Passes Key Test

August 9, 2013

A 3D printer has notched an important milestone on the way toward its planned launch to the International Space Station next year.

An engineering model of California-based startup Made in Space's 3D printer passed a battery of tests at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., confirming that the machine can survive the rigors of launch and function in a microgravity environment, company officials announced Wednesday (Aug. 7).

http://news.yahoo.co...-091736748.html

Making the parts in space

Making the rockets(engines, etc) by 3-d printers

Eon musk Grasshopper only costing .3% to refuel and used over @ over again.

=big time savings.

No matter what the anti-space REPUBTUGS feel they're not likely to stop the advancement into space. As much as they wish they could.

• Casey and Cody930 like this

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Cheap 3D scanners might soon lead to 3D piracy

Just two weeks ago we wrote about the Fuel3D, a device for scanning 3D objects so you can replicate them on a 3D printer, with a proposed price tag of around $1,000. Now MakerBot, the leading maker of desktop 3D printers, is launching its own 3D scanner next week, and Signe Brewster at GigaOM is betting it will cost just $500.

What difference does it make?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

3D printing failures shared online

3D printing is the art of turning a 3D design on your computer into a solid object. However this does not always run smoothly. Enthusiast Richard Horne runs a Flickr gallery of home 3D printer failures - including this image of Tony Buser's attempt at a model of the Statue of Liberty. "I've had a lot more failures than successes... it's not as easy as it seems. You can learn quite a lot from failure," said Mr Horne, who calls the errors "plastic pasta".

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-23727229

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts

seem the solution to several of those would be to put a sprue in some places and print in smaller parts and assemble later. especially where you can change the angle of print to side step the think parts like when he's talking about thin ankles ruining the print, if he'd just printed the leg seperately from a 45 degree or even sideways and joined it to the completed body later.

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

I'm sure we've all had mechanical work on our autos that didn't "always run smoothly". For me it's amazing how fast 3D printing is progressing.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Multi-material breakthrough allows chemical, ceramic and even biological 3D printing

On Wednesday, The Technology Partnersip (TTP) unveiled its ground breaking Vista 3D, which is the first print head technology that can print with more than one material. Unlike existing 3D printing solutions, the same Vista 3D print heads can dispense or print ceramics, and even biological cells, as well as the traditional metals and plastics, opening up the possibility of printing products as diverse as toys, medical devices, aircraft parts and even diagnostic test strips at the touch of a button.

This breakthrough in technology will potentially change the face of manufacturing, as we know it. It will give organisations the ability to print off stock and supplies of complex products that comprise of several materials as and when they need, making the process of ordering goods from the Far East or other manufacturing facilities a thing of the past.

• UFG likes this

What difference does it make?

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Multi-material breakthrough allows chemical, ceramic and even biological 3D printing

On Wednesday, The Technology Partnersip (TTP) unveiled its ground breaking Vista 3D, which is the first print head technology that can print with more than one material. Unlike existing 3D printing solutions, the same Vista 3D print heads can dispense or print ceramics, and even biological cells, as well as the traditional metals and plastics, opening up the possibility of printing products as diverse as toys, medical devices, aircraft parts and even diagnostic test strips at the touch of a button.

This breakthrough in technology will potentially change the face of manufacturing, as we know it. It will give organisations the ability to print off stock and supplies of complex products that comprise of several materials as and when they need, making the process of ordering goods from the Far East or other manufacturing facilities a thing of the past.

:fan:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users