Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cruising with Tesla's Autopilot in Houston Traffic

autonomous vehicles driverless cars AVs electric vehicles EVs Tesla The Future™

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,878 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

So yeah, it's hard to fathom that this is a thing now. And has been a thing. For over half of a year.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020 is here; I still suck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Not really hard to fathom when you are seeing it in action. If you can't fathom this then i feel sorry for you Yuli because you'll be shell shocked come the 2020's. (Yes i know what you "really" meant) 

Anyways once the Model 3 takes off there will be a lot more of ^ that on the road and i think this will lead to further expedience in the uptake of autonomous driving.

As for electric vehicles i am hopeful that the Chevy Bolt breaks the 100k barrier. 

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,878 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Not really hard to fathom when you are seeing it in action. If you can't fathom this then i feel sorry for you Yuli because you'll be shell shocked come the 2020's. (Yes i know what you "really" meant) 

Even right now, my mother refuses to believe AVs will have any place on the road. She's not alone— millions of Americans have absolutely no clue just how far ahead technology has become. I've oft joked that Average Joe is 10 years behind the bleeding edge. 10 years ago, where were driverless cars?

A driverless car finally completed the DARPA challenge! Remember back in 2004 when not a single one completed the course? And even then, they were driving like snails and a single fuck-up in the road fuck their worlds up?

I first learned about driverless cars on Modern Marvels some time back in 2007. I thought they sounded neat, but I didn't expect to hear anything more about them for another 50 years or so. Around that time, there was this special, 2057, that also talked about life in the distant future year of 2057 (which is creeping closer and closer all the time). Guess what it featured? I'll tell you what it didn't— driverless cars. There were also a lot of futurology-themed shows coming out that year, now that I think about it. FutureWeapons, which was all about what the police and militaries of the future would use (some of which we're actually beginning to see now, such as directed energy weapons and combat robots). What didn't it talk about? Driverless vehicles. No autonomous jeeps, no driverless tanks or APCs, none of that.

There were Science Channel specials that pretty much made it out to be nothing but Wired/Engadget Channel. I didn't have the Science Channel at the time, except for some promos every few months. During those promos, I saw nothing about driverless cars. Other than that, I was religiously watching the History Channel, the Discovery Channel, and National Geographic, desperate for any future-themed programming. My library had a book about future technology that I read until I ripped one of the pages, except I think it was written in the late '90s. It talked about supercars in the 2090s, but just a little blip about driverless cars. And it was written so that it sounded like 2090's supercars would happen first, and then driverless cars. 

Come at the driverless car phenomenon— futurology in general— realizing that this is the mindset of most people right now. 

The masses aren't ready for half of this shit yet. I remember posting a news story about how Americans want future technology, but we don't want future technology, if you know what I'm saying.

We want better smartphones, we want thinner TVs, we want higher resolutions, we want robot butlers, and we want space travel. But when you start bringing up esoteric stuff like transhumanism, driverless cars, artificial superintelligence, full immersion virtual reality, the Internet of Things, radical geoengineering, and all that fun stuff, suddenly we back up and go "We didn't ask for this shit." 

I can guarantee you right now that, if you asked a group of 100 random people on the street of an average American town, 80 of them won't even know there are VR headsets out, that AI beat the human world champions at both Go and Jeopardy, or that you can buy a semi-autonomous car and an artificially intelligent humanoid robot companion right now. They're still living in the mid 2000's, checking out Facebook or Instagram but otherwise not doing much else. And if you go back to 2006, you'll find those same 80 people living like it's still the mid '90s.

So while I agree that the 2020's are going to hit people like a sack of jagged bricks, I also think Average Joes will still be living in 2010's technologically. They'll accept that driverless cars are going to be a thing, that robots will indeed be taking our jobs, and that VR is the latest medium to arrive, but there will be new things they refuse to accept.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: autonomous vehicles, driverless cars, AVs, electric vehicles, EVs, Tesla, The Future™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users