Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Hurricane Season

• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,721 posts

Donald Trump Refuses to Send More Aid to Puerto Rico, Citing Business Interests
Source: Newsweek

Newsweek 11 hours ago

ped between American ports to be on ships built, owned and operated in the United States..........................

President Donald Trump has made it clear his administration isn't planning to allow any additional outside aid to get into Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria.

Speaking with reporters on Wednesday afternoon, the president cited business interests as the reason for refusing calls from lawmakers and activists to allow international organizations and governments to ship aid to the island.

Trump said he was initially considering whether to implement a temporary waiver of the Jones Act to allow it, but decided against doing so as "a lot of people that work in the shipping industry…don’t want the Jones Act lifted."

Also called the Merchant Marine Act of 1920, the Jones Act requires all goods ship

Read more: https://www.yahoo.co...-195456324.html

Matt Pearce‏Verified account @mattdpearce

Trump administration denies Puerto Rico's request to waive the Jones Act, which it did for Harvey and Irma. https://www.reuters....r-idUSKCN1C12UI

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

I think you mean Katrina, not Sandy.

Ooooops!

My bad. Thanks for the catch. Yes, I did mean Katrina.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Donald Trump Refuses to Send More Aid to Puerto Rico, Citing Business Interests
Source: Newsweek

Newsweek 11 hours ago

ped between American ports to be on ships built, owned and operated in the United States..........................

President Donald Trump has made it clear his administration isn't planning to allow any additional outside aid to get into Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria.

Speaking with reporters on Wednesday afternoon, the president cited business interests as the reason for refusing calls from lawmakers and activists to allow international organizations and governments to ship aid to the island.

Trump said he was initially considering whether to implement a temporary waiver of the Jones Act to allow it, but decided against doing so as "a lot of people that work in the shipping industry…don’t want the Jones Act lifted."

Also called the Merchant Marine Act of 1920, the Jones Act requires all goods ship

Read more: https://www.yahoo.co...-195456324.html

Matt Pearce‏Verified account @mattdpearce

Trump administration denies Puerto Rico's request to waive the Jones Act, which it did for Harvey and Irma. https://www.reuters....r-idUSKCN1C12UI

This confused me since he waived the Jones act today.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

This confused me since he waived the Jones act today.

As best as I can make out, he was against it before he was for it.  

John Kerry, where are you when we need you?

Of course anybody like Sciencerocks who tries to make sense out of all this will be accused of fake news.  Much easier to be on both sides of an issue that way.  At any rate, chock another one up for journalistic pressure.  Now, if only someone would plant a news story suggesting it would be good for Trump to resign....

• Sciencerocks likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Tesla Sending Hundreds of Batteries To Puerto Rico

Tesla quietly shipping hundreds of battery packs to be paired with solar panels to Puerto Rico ever since the storm cleared: Tesla employees are currently installing the batteries and repairing solar systems, as well as coordinating efforts with local organizations.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

90L forms in the southwestern Caribbean and it has tons of model support....Most take it northward into the gulf of mexico and make landfall between LA and the Florida Panhandle. Some as a cat1 or even a little stronger.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,508 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

90L forms in the southwestern Caribbean and it has tons of model support....Most take it northward into the gulf of mexico and make landfall between LA and the Florida Panhandle. Some as a cat1 or even a little stronger.

When it gets to the Gulf, it will intensify into something more fierce. The question becomes how fierce.

• Sciencerocks and Yuli Ban like this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

7oa0maH.jpg

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Could pull a Wilma given the temperature in that area. I base this off the fact that Rampage on the Tropical Weather Subreddit said yesterday that it probably wouldn't amount to much.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

Puerto Rico raises hurricanes official death count to 34
Source: Associated Press

17 minutes ago

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The governor of Puerto Rico said Tuesday that the official death toll from Hurricane Maria has been increased to 34 from 16.

Gov. Ricardo Rossello also said he believes the hurricane caused $90 billion in damage across the island.

The governor made the announcement at a news conference following U.S. President Donald Trump’s short visit to the U.S. territory to assess the storm’s impact.

During his stop, Trump congratulated Puerto Ricans for avoiding a high death toll of “a real catastrophe like Katrina.” As many as 1,800 people died in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina breached levees protecting New Orleans.

###

Read more: https://apnews.com/4...ath-count-to-34

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

16L is moving north-northwestward just east of the coast of central America. This system could become a tropical storm by the next the time recon reaches the system tomorrow but it is probably already is one...Land should be the one factor that will hold this down as it is expected to make landfall during the next 24-30 hours but based on the north-northwest motion it probably won't spend more then 12 hours over land. Waters in the western Caribbean are favorable enough for this to strengthen to around 55-60 knts before it reaches the Yucatan channel and the cyclone should move into the gulf, which has always been expected to be less favorable for strengthening. Most hurricane models tvcn 00z models show a very western Florida Panhandle or Alabama landfall, While the gfs ems shows a central La landfall going through New orleans...The ecmwf also agrees with this more northerly track through the gulf...But, remember Maria a few weeks ago? It is very hard to go against the past few days of consistency and the "hurricane" models so we will forecast a landfall about 2 degrees to the right of the gfs 00z ems and 1.5 degrees to the right of the ecmwf 00z...Around Mississipi-Alabama area as a 60 knot tropical storm(border) in line with the core of the intensity models.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Tropical Storm Nate blamed for 22 deaths; threatens US coast

Newly formed Tropical Storm Nate was blamed Thursday for at least 22 deaths across Central America as it dumped rain across the region on a path that would carry it toward a potential landfall on the U.S. Gulf Coast as a hurricane over the weekend.

Louisiana officials ordered some people to evacuate coastal areas and barrier islands, and evacuations began at some offshore oil platforms in the Gulf.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said the storm could cause dangerous flooding by dumping as much as 15 to 20 inches (38 to 50 centimeters) of rain as it moved over Honduras, with higher accumulations in a few places.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hurricane Nate is now undergoing rapid intensification according to satellites. Could be a Cat 3 and strike New Orleans tomorrow night. Could be looking at a repeat of Katrina and this storm is moving much faster than Katrina was there would be no time to evacuate the city. I mean look at the white in the middle of this system if this thing develops an eye this structure would be what you would usually see in a Cat 4 hurricane.

nate%20sat.jpg

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

MS Governor and MEMA: 'We did not dodge a bullet'
Source: WLOX
SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) -

"We did not dodge a bullet." Those are words from Governor Phil Bryant and MEMA Executive Director Lee Smithson, the day after Hurricane Nate made landfall. "If Nate would have hit us 15 years ago the damage would have been much more extensive," Smithson said. South Mississippian's have learned a lot since August 29, 2005 when Hurricane Katrina made landfall. "We have rebuilt the Coast in the aftermath of Katrina higher and stronger, and our people are a lot smarter," Smithson says.

Damage from Hurricane Nate primarily spans the lower three coastal counties. Officials say the worst of the storm was felt in Jackson County. Jackson County recorded a 10 ft. storm surge in the east, and 8 ft. of storm surge in the west side of the county.

From hurricane warnings, the focus has now shifted to damage assessment. Smithson says it could take three to four days to see if South Mississippi meets the $4.5 million federal threshold for a presidential disaster declaration. Such a move from the federal government would be qualified by significant damage to infrastructure. Smithson stated, "That's roads, bridges, power grids, but even schools, playgrounds, the beach, harbors, piers...all those are included in the public assistance damage assessment."

Though a far cry from Katrina, damage throughout the coast can be seen just by taking a drive down Highway 90. Several piers on the coast took a beating from the storm surge, gutters are filled with debris and snapped trees covered some roads. Officials say they are happy to report no loss of life, due in part to the preparation of so many.

(snip)

Read more: http://www.wlox.com/...-dodge-a-bullet

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hurricane Ophelia bearing down on the UK and Ireland after strengthening to a Category 3 this morning. Expected to be extra-tropical by then but could still have hurricane force winds.

http://www.dailymail...orm-decade.html

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Location of Category 3 Ophelia compared to all previous major hurricanes

5yi1gu2f5trz.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Coming soon to Ireland...
Ty0MB8x.gif

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

New data shows hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico could be 20 times higher than the government claims

https://www.vox.com/...ane-maria-count

Introduction:

(Vox) More than two months after Hurricane Maria slammed into Puerto Rico and devastated the island — knocking out its power grid and leaving millions without potable water — the official death toll has stayed surprisingly low at 55.

Yet no one who’s been following Puerto Rico’s hurricane disaster closely believes that to be an accurate representation of the lives taken by the storm. Journalists on the ground in Puerto Rico and here on the mainland have helped paint a very different picture of underreported deaths, prompting members of Congress to demand audits of the death count.

Now two social science researchers have shown that the actual death count may be closer to 1,085, a number that exceeds the government’s official figure by a factor of 20. (By comparison, at least 1,800 people died in connection to Hurricane Katrina in 2005 — the deadliest hurricane to hit US soil in the past 50 years.)

Alexis Santos, a Puerto Rican demographer at Penn State, and Jeffrey Howard, an independent health scientist and epidemiologist, calculated average monthly deaths from 2010 through 2016 using a methodology that other researchers have told Vox is one of the best ways to calculate estimates of disaster deaths.

San_Juan.0.jpg

A man plays his accordion in front of a closed-down business in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on November 7, 2017.

Ricardo Arduengo/AFP/Getty Images

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users