Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2027: A Global Three-Way

NATO Russia China Greece Fascism authoritarianism war conventional WWIII Depression Hellenic Fascism

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,221 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I just couldn't keep away, goddammit. I want my eutopia, but we have to endure some global collective kidney punches to get there.

This tale of totalitarianism isn't as dark as Twenty Eighty-Four, and it surprisingly doesn't involve the end of the world with World War III, but it still gets pretty bad.

So again, it goes that there's major strife in the world circa 2020, strife that's much more akin to what Recyvuym thinks is already happening (repeat: it's not!). Saudi Arabia collapses, there's (more) war in the Middle East, etc. It is around 2027 that we can definitely say that things are not improving.

In 2084, I said that this would lead to a Satanically-evil totalitarian regime in America. That wasn't actually based on reality, that was just me trying to push Orwell's Hell out as far as it could realistically go.

However, I do think there will be totalitarian regimes popping up around that time. In fact, there's one group I am willing to put money down will definitely take control of their parent country in the 2020's, and they're the focal point behind this story.

So how does this timeline go?

It gets bloody. 

So the deal is that oil prices following the collapse of Saudi Arabia in 2019 have shot through the roof. $200 a barrel. Shockingly high. Too much for countries weakened by the Panic of 2017. The Panic of 2017 set in motion all this BS, collapsing various economies. Welfare states had to roll back their social policies. In Europe, that just meant even more chaos.
Immigrants from Africa and the Middle East came to Europe for the welfare, alongside jobs and opportunities, things they didn't have in their own hellhole countries. Now there's very little welfare and very few jobs to go around.  With all that taken away, they get restless and begin rioting.
This doesn't sit well at all with the natives of these countries, who were only just barely tolerating the migrants. "How dare they come here by our own everloving grace and then behave like spoiled children when we don't have enough to go around!" many felt.
Some nations handled this better than others. In Germany, for example, there were extreme riots from all sides— the immigrants, the far right, the far left, and the extreme center. However, little came of it and they managed to bring in a new coalition government that reached a compromise. Not everyone was happy with it, but order was restored well enough. Same deal in France.

And then there was Greece. In all the other European countries, the influx of migrants and the depression brought glory days to the far right, pushing them into parliaments and congresses everywhere. Nevertheless, they were unable to obtain control. Not Greece. Greece had long been teetering on the edge of social collapse ever since the Greek debt crisis of 2010, and the combined madness of the migrant crisis and global depression pushed them over the edge.

Snap elections were declared after a countrywide general strike, and one party rose above them all to obtain a total majority—

Golden Dawn
ppAEZEr.png
DNKchEr.jpg

Following their meteoric victory in the 2019 general election, gaining 214 seats in the Hellenic parliament, Golden Dawn dropped all pretenses of being "just" a far-right anti-immigrant party and openly declared themselves to be a fascist movement. They proceeded to outlaw all other parties and wasted no time leaving the European Union without so much as a goodbye.

The Beast is Back, folks (or should I say, volks).

President Trump, Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, everyone denounced the new government and refused to recognize them as legitimate. The EU had been shattered, and there was no going back. Everyone knew what this meant.

Speeding up from here...

2021, in order to protect their interests, Russia and China create the Beijing Alliance, meant to counter NATO with Fascist Greece being used as an excuse. Iran, North Korea, and various other countries (mostly ex-Soviet ones) proceed to join.

2022, the Panic of 2017 and Saudi Arabia's collapse lead to global gas prices reaching their highest ever point— in the US, the average is $11 a gallon. Greece tests nuclear weapons, leading to worldwide condemnation and sanctions.

2023, the government of Ukraine collapses, and Russia installs a pro-BA regime that immediately joins the Alliance. Moscow and Beijing keep promising that none of this will lead to World War III, that NATO needs to calm down and stop fearmongering— and they do this by staging the largest war game in history, so large that it stokes fear of a "reverse ABLE ARCHER 83" situation that could potentially erupt into World War III.

2024, India shocks the West by joining the Beijing Alliance. Considering India is very friendly with NATO, some think this will actually help defuse tensions between NATO and BA. Nevertheless, both side play war games, anxiously anticipating the other's next move. Erdogan strengthens ties with NATO after a brief period of exocommunication due to his own fascist tendencies.

2025, the effects of the chaos between 2017 and 2024 have calmed down tremendously, and the global economy is on the upswing for the first time in 6 years. Though the war is now locked in Cold War II, cooler heads prevail and relations between NATO and BA begin to warm ever so slightly. Much of the world realizes that NATO is so paranoid because they recognize they've lost power. How do they recognize this? 
China has surpassed the US to become the #1 economic power on Earth. This could very well prove to be a Thucydides trap, but for right now, there's no war. It's still sad that we've returned to this point, but people are becoming hopeful again, China and Russia genuinely do want to avoid war, and as long as everyone plays nicel— wait, what the fuck is Greece doing?!

2026: War! Greece invades the Balkans and central Europe following ongoing tensions between them and the EU. Germany and the EU never forgave Greece's debt, and everyone knew that Greece wasn't going to get out of it just by going full Nazi and leaving the union. The heads of Golden Dawn realized that there was a way to end the continuing debt crisis that threatened to plunge the world into another recession— war. They'd take the Balkan states and immediately turn north and try to take Germany by the summer.
Surprisingly, the plan worked. They didn't take Germany, but they managed to wrest control of the Balkans and blitzkrieg all the way to Austria, even managing to take Italy, and in the time scale they said they would.

This horrified the world, even though we all knew it was inevitable. For the past 7 years, Golden Dawn has been speaking exactly like the Nazis. They talked of restoring the great Hellenic empire of Antiquity, of "liberating" Macedonia, of destroying "their ancient enemies, the Persians" who they claimed had subtly invaded Europe over the past 20 years (though now going by nonsense names like Syrians, Iraqis, etc.), and bringing fascism to the entire European continent. It actually surprised us that it took so long— it took the Nazis just 6 years to start World War II, while Golden Dawn took 7 to start World War III.

NATO declared war on Greece early on, but proved unable to stop their advance. By September 2026, Fascist Greece controlled a third of Europe. They then pushed south, invading the North African countries as well as Turkey. 
This wasn't a schizophrenic move— they needed to control the Mediterranean and Black Seas, as well as the vast oil fields of Nigeria. This would cripple Europe and Russia at the same time. 

2027 began with the world powers scrambling trying to figure out what to do over the war. It was now spread out over three continents— Europe, Asia, and Africa— with countries from every other continent (obviously sans Antarctica) sending troops. This was World War III, baby. 
After taking Turkey (sending Erdogan into exile), Greece moved to take control of the entire Mediterranean area, even invading Israel. 
Israel tried out their nuclear weapons to halt the advancing Greek army, but this was in vain, as Greece simply returned fire themselves— they had nukes since 2022, and have been developing dozens over the past 5 years. Greek forces destroyed most major Israeli cities, and occupied Israel, Palestine, and Lebanon. They met their own forces on the Egyptian border.
The Greeks believed themselves to be "rescuing the captive Holy Land from Jew and Islamic degeneration".
By late 2027, the map looked like this
zUmiuWk.png

No one wanted to use anymore nuclear weapons than was necessary. NATO planned an overland offensive while BA readied up a scheme for a sea invasion, working their way through the Balkan states.

Everyone knew this was China's first real test as the world's newest superpower. America seemed smug in this— "We're not #1 anymore, you are. So do something!" Not that everyone was disconnected and fighting amongst themselves. Not at all. World War III had actually done something no one expected it to— it brought NATO, Russia, and China together. They were all on the same side, and NATO wanted to see what China could do. 

In December 2027, the war effort took a massively darker turn when allegations of genocide leaked out of Greek controlled areas in Africa and the Mid-East. We had let the fascists get too strong, and our own inaction and trepidation had led to this point.

It was time.

Washington, Moscow, Beijing, and Berlin came together to debate if they should do it. If they should point them all at the new Hellenic Empire and put a quick, violent, and explosive end to World War III before it all spiraled too far out of control (such as the potential Greek invasion of the Republic of Arabia). What were the options? How many would die in each scenario? A nuclear war vs a conventional war? Neither painted rosy pictures, with both suggesting millions would die regardless.  But did we really want to go down that route? We technically already saw tactical nukes in use in Israel, so the genie was loose... But this was more than that.

China was committed to securing peace and victory on their terms. NATO together could oppose them, but China also had Russia, India, and Iran on their side. Who wanted World War IV so soon after World War III? Let's face it— China's won. America won't take that sitting down, but they're in no position to bargain. They'll deal with the minutia after they put the Fascists back where they belong.

China brings a new tool to the table to suggest what they could do in the post-war world— artificial intelligence. They and the US had been locked in an AI arms race ever since 2016. In fact, it was the one thing that didn't seem to be at all affected by the world around it. AI suggests that a quintessential victory for them could potentially double their power and hasten their dominance over the West. All they needed to do was to take Turkey and North Africa back from the Greeks and assume control over the Mediterranean. They'd get their stooges in Russia to go along with the plan, promising access to the two seas. They'd also get the confused European countries to go along with it by promising them autonomy of the region under China's eye, as well as assistance from China's central bank— basically a guarantee of economic security for the next 50 years at least.

That settled it. They voted 3-1 for a conventional land war against Greece, with only tactical nukes allowed to be used. The US voted against Russia, China, and the EU only because they saw what China was planning to do and knew they'd be left out of the agreement. But they lost this vote. The world was now against them, and they had to accept it or be left behind.

Let's roll.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Pretty interesting story - but wouldn't India be more likely to join NATO, considering the poor state of relations between China and India? 

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

leoking2000

leoking2000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Locationgreece

i hope this story does not come true 

i don't want to die in a nonsense war

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Are you planning to continue this? I love timelines.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

greece of all countries.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

They are going to restore the Roman Empire.

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationSlocan Park, BC

What scenario do you think will come to be if Clinton wins?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts

I'll give it a 4% chance of coming true in some form. Should the Panic of 2017 happen (as some of us are saying it will), I'll raise that to 10%. Should Saudi Arabia collapse and Golden Dawn win the 2019 election, get the fuck out of there, Imma prophet.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

The main problem I have with it is Greece, how does a shattered middle power in Europe of all places manage to hold its own against NATO and the CIA to begin with? Surely the CIA would never allow Golden Dawn to be elected, or to stay in power. They are there to, among other things, prevent precisely that sort of thing from happening. And as you say, everybody denounces Greece and Golden Dawn. I think this would only be possible with the backing of a major power adversarial to western interests (take your pick). Given the ultra-nationalist nature of Golden Dawn, such an alliance would be unusual in the modern age, but hardly historically unprecedented. Of course, this would further complicate the unfolding of the three-way war.

India joining the Beijing Alliance is very unlikely unless the country undergoes major changes, right now they're in the BRICS and they buy a lot of Russian weapons, but that's about it. Especially if they fear WWIII might be on the horizon, what sort of major turning point would it take to make them switch sides? Why would they jump behind the new Iron Curtain? Perhaps something happened during the global depression.

Why would Greece exile Erdogan? Sending him into the hands of the enemy, he'd be a rallying flag for the Turkish resistance.

Finally, the chances of Greece and Israel nuking each other without Greece instantly being wiped off the map are nil.

The "Panic of '17" followed by the Saudi collapse is an interesting touch. The simultaneous Cold War and World War is also interesting.

So again, it goes that there's major strife in the world circa 2020, strife that's much more akin to what Recyvuym thinks is already happening (repeat: it's not!).

(Repeat: all I ever actually said was it's been getting worse for the last ten years.)

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

woodysmasher

woodysmasher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Trump?

You don't need "Grease" to start the war. LMAO

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts

Pretty interesting story - but wouldn't India be more likely to join NATO, considering the poor state of relations between China and India? 

I consider India to be a wild card.

Don't forget, we— the US of A— are best buddies with their mortal enemies, Pakistan. Also, considering there's been a global depression and a major oil collapse, global politics will almost certainly look different. After all, Greece has become a fascist dictatorship.

woodysmasher

woodysmasher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
India won't start or side for a major war. Only thing that could cause a war is Pakistan intentionally attacking india on the support of China. Instead of getting World War 3 we propably get World War 0. The biggest standoff and each country will be afraid to start the war.

Greeks propably wont have enough resources to Raid your piggy bank lest starting a war.

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

I don't think this is accurate.  I think that China is reaching out right now to Africa in part to obtain more access to raw resources like mineral rights and so forth.  The alliance between China and Russia is not like a set in stone mutual defense treaty let alone a mutual offense treaty with coordinated strategy.  You have to remember the Chinese and Russian people have pretty different cultures/goals.  Also, I see India as making overtures to the West now especially because it wants to keep expanding its IT economy and I think that will be for the best in terms of global stability.  I don't see Southern European countries being integrated into an Islamic state because that would trigger NATO and I think right now the West has a policy of containment with regard to the middle east and it will begin to win as it develops better tools to stop ISIS propaganda for example.  In terms of the reverse situation... Greece just doesn't have the national resources, allies, and infrastructure needed to pull off something like this on its own.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts

I don't think this is accurate.  I think that China is reaching out right now to Africa in part to obtain more access to raw resources like mineral rights and so forth.  The alliance between China and Russia is not like a set in stone mutual defense treaty let alone a mutual offense treaty with coordinated strategy.  You have to remember the Chinese and Russian people have pretty different cultures/goals.  Also, I see India as making overtures to the West now especially because it wants to keep expanding its IT economy and I think that will be for the best in terms of global stability.  I don't see Southern European countries being integrated into an Islamic state because that would trigger NATO and I think right now the West has a policy of containment with regard to the middle east and it will begin to win as it develops better tools to stop ISIS propaganda for example.  In terms of the reverse situation... Greece just doesn't have the national resources, allies, and infrastructure needed to pull off something like this on its own.

From our standpoint, of course it doesn't seem accurate. But again, this happens after a global depression. 

As for Greece not having the national resources— neither did Germany in 1929. The war doesn't happen immediately after Golden Dawn takes power. It happens after a 7 year build up, and even then it only works because Greece blitzkriegs to other nations. If Greece were kept in check, they'd undoubtedly collapse within 6 months of starting the war. 

Rusakov

Rusakov

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Hope in one hand, crap in the other. See which fills up faster.

War is coming and it can't be stopped.

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Hope in one hand, crap in the other. See which fills up faster.

War is coming and it can't be stopped.

It wont happen

I am done goodbye.

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

It will happen

PyroRobot

PyroRobot

Move on

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

It will happen

I don't believe a 3rd world war with China, Russia and the USA will happen

I am done goodbye.

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
[quote name="PyroRobot" post="190022" timestamp="1469419153"][quote name="Pisiu369" post="190017" timestamp="1469414397"]
It will happen
[/quote]
I don't believe a 3rd world war with China, Russia and the USA will

It will happen

I don't believe a 3rd world war with China, Russia and the USA will happen

I believe it will happen but without the stereotypical USA,Russia and China war

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts

So how does this end, anyway?

About as well as you'd expect. Which means, badly.

kKlTbXz.png

Uh oh! Looks like the fascists are gaining ground!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NATO, Russia, China, Greece, Fascism, authoritarianism, war, conventional WWIII, Depression, Hellenic Fascism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users