Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Post-Brexit UK News and Discussions

• Please log in to reply
668 replies to this topic

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yuli Ban Says: If you're looking for the thread on the Brexit vote itself, click here.

If you're looking for the thread on the 2015 UK General Election, click here.

If you're looking for the thread on the 2017 UK General Election, click here.

So, now that the Brexit has happened let`s use this thread to post all relevant news to the effects this breakup of the EU has had and will have on the UK. This includes economic news, independence referendums, as well as the negotiations that will take place between post-EU Britain and the EU.

Nicola Sturgeon says second Scottish independence vote 'highly likely'.

Nicola Sturgeon said it was "democratically unacceptable" that Scotland faced the prospect of being taken out of the EU against its will.

She said the Scottish government would begin preparing legislation to enable another independence vote.
Scotland voted in favour of the UK staying in the EU by 62% to 38%.

The SNP manifesto for May's Holyrood elections said the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there was a "significant and material change" in the circumstances that prevailed at the time of the 2014 referendum, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will.

EU leaders have insisted that the UK must move swiftly to negotiate leaving the organisation, saying any delay would prolong uncertainty.

Mr Juncker held crisis talks with European Parliament President Martin Schulz, president of the European Council Donald Tusk and Dutch PM Mark Rutte on Friday morning.

They then released a statement saying they regretted but respected the British decision.
They called for the UK "to give effect to this decision of the British people as soon as possible, however painful that process may be. Any delay would unnecessarily prolong uncertainty".

They added that the deal agreed with Mr Cameron in February to protect London's financial markets, curb immigration and opt out of closer union "ceases to exist" and "there will be no renegotiation".

Nigel Farage: £350 million pledge to fund the NHS was 'a mistake'.

Nigel Farage has admitted that it was a "mistake" to promise that £350million a week would be spent on the NHS if the UK backed a Brexit vote. 

Speaking just an hour after the Leave vote was confirmed the Ukip leader said the money could not be guaranteed and claimed he would never have made the promise in the first place. 

The pledge was central to the official Vote Leave campaign and was controversially emblazoned on the side of the bus which shuttled Boris Johnson and Michael Gove around the country. 

Campaigners promised to use the money the UK reportedly sends to the EU to fund the health service instead.

Asked by ITV's Good Morning Britain whether he could guarantee that the £350m that was sent to the EU would now go the NHS, Mr Farage said: “No I can’t, I would never have made that claim.

"That was one of the mistakes made by the Leave campaign.”

Congrats, UK,  on listening to this lying crapstain.

Spain will seek to jointly govern Gibraltar with Britain following the British vote to leave the European Union, acting foreign minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo said on Friday.

Gibraltarians voted overwhelmingly in favour of Britain remaining in the European Union but were outnumbered in Thursday's referendum and now face the consequences.

Garcia-Margallo said Spain would push to keep Gibraltar out of any general Brexit negotiations between Britain and the European Union and will aim for bilateral talks to seek co-sovereignty and eventually Spanish control of the peninsula.

I think an independent Gibraltar as part of the EU is more likely.

Edited by Yuli Ban, 02 July 2017 - 11:11 PM.
Added EU Referendum link

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationCanada

Gibraltar is going nowhere. That I can say for sure.

Anyways other things likely to happen: 

Jeremy Corbyn will be forced out.

Mark Carney will be forced out.

Boris Johnston will become prime minister.

Euroskeptic parties across the continent empowered.

• Roh234 likes this

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationCanada

On second thought, probably not. The UK would never let it gain sovereignty.

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationCanada

Voted 96% to stay in the UK just last year if I recall. Even this referendum won't reduce that amount enough. We all remember the Falklands in 1982 as well.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationCanada

Brexit panic wipes $2 trillion off world markets

World markets have slumped in Europe, America and Asia, as economists predict that Brexit vote will push UK into recession

Moody's cut UK's credit outlook to 'negative

Moody's said the result would herald "a prolonged period of uncertainty".

Meanwhile, PM David Cameron is under pressure to speed up "divorce" talks with the EU after Brussels said exit negotiations should start immediately.
EU head Jean-Claude Juncker said it was "not an amicable divorce", but it was "not a tight love affair anyway".
Moody's said the referendum result would have "negative implications for the country's medium-term growth outlook", and it lowered the UK's long term issuer and debt ratings to "negative" from "stable".
It added: "In Moody's view, the negative effect from lower economic growth will outweigh the fiscal savings from the UK no longer having to contribute to the EU budget."

It also said the UK had one of the largest budget deficits among advanced economies.

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Brexit panic wipes $2 trillion off world markets

World markets have slumped in Europe, America and Asia, as economists predict that Brexit vote will push UK into recession

Moody's cut UK's credit outlook to 'negative

Moody's said the result would herald "a prolonged period of uncertainty".

Meanwhile, PM David Cameron is under pressure to speed up "divorce" talks with the EU after Brussels said exit negotiations should start immediately.
EU head Jean-Claude Juncker said it was "not an amicable divorce", but it was "not a tight love affair anyway".
Moody's said the referendum result would have "negative implications for the country's medium-term growth outlook", and it lowered the UK's long term issuer and debt ratings to "negative" from "stable".
It added: "In Moody's view, the negative effect from lower economic growth will outweigh the fiscal savings from the UK no longer having to contribute to the EU budget."

It also said the UK had one of the largest budget deficits among advanced economies.

Good night United Kingdom 1707-2016

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationCanada

Voted 96% to stay in the UK just last year if I recall. Even this referendum won't reduce that amount enough. We all remember the Falklands in 1982 as well.

Under vastly different circumstances. I feel that being dragged out of the EU against their will makes many of those Gibraltarians question their future in the UK. However, I will admit it's very unlikely their discontent will grow into an independence movement. After all, most are British citizens.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationCanada

Under vastly different circumstances. I feel that being dragged out of the EU against their will makes many of those Gibraltarians question their future in the UK. However, I will admit it's very unlikely their discontent will grow into an independence movement. After all, most are British citizens.

And join Spain which doesn't even have a functioning economy let alone government? LOL I don't think so.

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

And join Spain which doesn't even have a functioning economy let alone government? LOL I don't think so.

Im expecting the UK and Spain to both collapse and shatter into more countries.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationCanada

What? I already discounted that. In my first post I said an independent Gibraltar is more likely than a Spanish one (which I then proceeded to say was also very unlikely). You're preaching to the converted lol.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationCanada

Im expecting the UK and Spain to both collapse and shatter into more countries.

It remains to be seen. Scotland should not be too hasty to jump ship on the UK. Out of the fire, and into the fire pan might be an accurate expression for the situation Scotland could find itself in, if it joins an unravelling EU. It should at least wait until all the exit referendums are done in the EU, if there will be any (hopefully not).

• Time_Traveller likes this

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

This is to be expected. Markets will stabilize and the UK will get stronger because they don't have pesky regulations destroying their ability to grow and they can finally control their own borders. Also, no more Uk money heading to Greece and Italy

That is what they say, but what regulations are we actually talking about here? They are going to cut regulations that allow them to trade with other countries, and you think cutting all trade is going to grow their economy some how? The other side of the coin is they want to get rid of clean air and water regulations, which I suppose 'might' improve industry at the cost of living standards across the country due to increased population. 

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,968 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, USA, June 7th 2900 C.E.
EU Brexit referendum: France's Calais seeks border deal changes

24  June 2016

The mayor of Calais wants changes to a deal which allows Britain to carry out immigration checks on the French side of the English Channel, after a UK vote to leave the EU.

Natacha Bouchart said Paris must act after Thursday's referendum in which the UK voted to leave the EU.

"The British must take the consequences of their choice," she said on Friday.

Under the 2003 Touquet deal, Britain can carry out check in Calais to stop migrants trying to get to Britain.

Ms Bouchart said: "We are in a strong position to push, to press this request for a review and we are asking the President (Francois Hollande) to bring his weight (to the issue).

"We must put everything on the table and there must be an element of division, of sharing."

Meanwhile, Xavier Bertrand, the president of Hauts-de-France region where Calais is located, said: "The English wanted to take back their freedom: they must take back their border."

The French authorities had warned before the referendum that a vote for leaving the EU could see a camp with thousands of migrants being moved from Calais to British soil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-36626553

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Humey

Humey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationEngland

Londoner's are signing a petition to become independent. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rendum-36620401

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 5,968 posts

Wouldn't that make Birmingham the capital of the UK if that happened.

H. G. Wells

Humey

Humey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationEngland

Manchester might disagree.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationRussia

This is becoming even more intereting: Scottish govt agrees to legislate for 2nd independence referendum

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,709 posts
  • LocationLondon

VDW3jFe.jpg

• illykitty and Maximus like this

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationCanada

VDW3jFe.jpg

Stupid, first of all the Prime Minister is always "unelected" people vote for the MPs and the MPs choose the leader.

Second if immigration is a fear of people coming, than I don't see why you think people would be bothered by not being able to leave the country without a passport. Not even the same issue. 

I would not be in any rush to assume companies are going to go to France in particular, or even Germany which already has a huge labor shortage. Ireland might be a better case.

I could go on...

The only legit points there are the NHS, EEA, Pension, and seperation ones...

• Roh234 and eacao like this

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 5,968 posts

Manchester might disagree.

But Birmingham is the second city of England.

H. G. Wells

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users