Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The Future of U.S. - Russian Relations

United States Russia Vladimir Putin Hillary Clinton International diplomacy

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts

Democrats Respond to Putin

http://occupydemocra...hooker-scandal/

Extract:

The comments by Putin serve a twofold purpose. The first is to attempt to offer spin to the allegations that the Russian government has blackmail hanging over Trump’s head, which has been the driving force influencing Trump’s decisions regarding Russia. If Putin says he does not believe Trump was involved in the scandal it serves Putin’s own interests in downplaying the very likely blackmail he has been using against Trump like a mace. The second is Putin continues to cement his public friendship with Trump which will beneficial for him during Trump’s presidency.

While Putin said he does not believe the allegations, he also participated in a round of gratuitous bragging regarding Russian citizens. Putin further stated:

He’s (Trump) a grown man, and secondly he’s someone who has been involved with beauty contests for many years and has met the most beautiful women in the world. I find it hard to believe that he rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world.

…Trump’s history of owning, and participating, with beauty pageants is very well known. However, Putin’s faux-disbelief must be measured against Trump’s own past admittance of sexually assaulting women. In 2005 Trump bragged about grabbing various women “by the pus*y” on a secret recording while gleefully sharing he was able to get away with the acts because he’s rich and famous. In that regard it is certainly not difficult to believe or accept that Trump used the services of prostitutes.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 3,530 posts

Representative Maxine Waters:  "I Believe Trump Is A Danger"

http://crooksandliar...ve-trump-danger

"After I discovered who Trump was and the way he conducted himself, I was never going to go to the inauguration," she declared. "Certainly the inauguration is a way of welcoming in someone to the presidency and honoring them and respecting them. I don't honor him, I don't respect him and I don't want to be involved with him."

Rep. Waters also intimated that she believes Trump's ties to Russia are a danger to national security. Given her reaction after last week's top secret briefing with FBI Director James Comey, her allegations should be taken seriously.

"I believe that Trump is a danger," she asserted. "I believe that he wants to tighten and build up his relationship to Russia for whatever reason."

She went on to explain that she was concerned that he lied about his business relationships with Russia, while the facts point to at least 37 different times he tried to do business with them.

Speaking of the dossier compiled by British spy Christopher Steele, Waters grew angrier. "I think that our intelligence agencies need to drill down on that, they need to look into it, they need to see if there's any truth to it because if it is, it very dangerous for Russia to be able to blackmail Trump at any given time if in fact they have the kind of information that's being alluded to."

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 3,530 posts

I don't personally give much weight to Rick Santorum's opinion about much of anything.  Still, to give a sense of balance to this thread....

Rick Santorum Doesn't Believe Russia Was Behind DNC Hack

http://www.cnn.com/2...nntv/index.html

Introduction:

(CNN) Rick Santorum says he doesn't believe Russia was behind the hack into Democratic National Committee emails last year that US intelligence agencies say was an effort by Moscow to throw the election to Donald Trump.

"If there's a trail of breadcrumbs that says this is the Russians, it's probably not the Russians," he told CNN's Chris Cuomo Thursday.

The former Pennsylvania senator, who's now a CNN senior political commentator, also denied that the theft of the emails was a hack, instead calling it "a fishing expedition." Pushed by Cuomo on whether he disagreed with the intelligence services' conclusion that Russia was behind the hack, he said, "Unfortunately, I think this is what Trump was worried about. It's the politicization of intelligence."

Santorum said the intelligence community based its conclusions on the findings of an outside contractor brought in by the DNC to investigate the hack, and in his opinion, that was "wrong."

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 3,530 posts

Russian Political Elites Revel in Trump's Inauguration

https://www.yahoo.co...ics.html?ref=gs

Extract:

MOSCOW (AP) — Champagne corks popped in Moscow as Russians celebrated the start of Donald Trump's presidency, confident of better relations ahead between the two countries.

"It's weird, but it's great, and for the first time ever Russians are applauding the victory of a U.S. presidential candidate, it's a sign of the times," political analyst Stanislav Byshok said.

Trump's promises to fix ravaged relations with Moscow have elated Russia's political elite following spiraling tensions with Washington over the Ukrainian crisis, the war in Syria and allegations of Russian meddling in the U.S. elections.

"We are ready to do our share of the work in order to improve the relationship," Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Facebook.

…Leonid Slutsky, the head of the foreign affairs committee in the lower house of parliament, expressed hope that Trump will move to establish constructive ties with Moscow, but cautioned that there is no "magic button" to instantly achieve that. "We expect a slow but steady revival of our relations," he said.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • LocationRussia

I don't think it will have any serious long-term impact on US-Russian relations, but still:

BREAKING: Russia and US warplanes strike Syria in first ever JOINT attack

The Russian Defense Ministry confirmed the coordinated attacks, which also reportedly involved Turkish forces.

A total of three Russian attack aircraft – consisting of two Su-24Ms and a Su-34 bomber – joined two Turkish F-16s and two F-4s in the strikes.

They successfully took out 22 ISIS targets

Rather a symbolic act, but with granny Hillary instead of Trump, this would be completely unimaginable.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 3,530 posts

I don't think it will have any serious long-term impact on US-Russian relations, but still:

BREAKING: Russia and US warplanes strike Syria in first ever JOINT attack

The Russian Defense Ministry confirmed the coordinated attacks, which also reportedly involved Turkish forces.

A total of three Russian attack aircraft – consisting of two Su-24Ms and a Su-34 bomber – joined two Turkish F-16s and two F-4s in the strikes.

They successfully took out 22 ISIS targets

Rather a symbolic act, but with granny Hillary instead of Trump, this would be completely unimaginable.

Strange, U.S. officials seem to be denying this report:

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2953291

Conclusion of article:

Meanwhile, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement that its warplanes flew their first combat mission in Syria with U.S.-led coalition aircraft — a sign that military cooperation between the two superpowers in Syria, which Trump said he would welcome, could already be underway.

But the Pentagon refuted that claim in its own statement, calling it “rubbish.”

“The Department of Defense is not coordinating airstrikes with the Russian military in Syria,” Air Force Col. John L. Dorrian, a spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS, said. "DoD maintains a channel of communication with the Russian military focused solely on ensuring the safety of aircrews and de-confliction of Coalition and Russian operations in Syria.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 3,530 posts

CNN: US Intelligence Has Confirmed Parts of the Trump-Russia Memos

http://www.motherjon...p-russia-report

Introduction:

US investigators have confirmed parts of the 35-page batch of memos compiled by a former British spy, CNN reported Friday afternoon. The memos, first written about by Mother Jones in October 2016, contained allegations of collusion between officials working for Donald Trump during the presidential campaign and Russian government operatives, and allegations that the Russian government was working to harm the candidacy of Hillary Clinton and boost Trump.

Friday's CNN report says investigators have confirmed that some of the conversations between senior Russian officials and other Russian officials occurred on the same days and from the same locations alleged in the memos.

"The corroboration, based on intercepted communications, has given US intelligence and law enforcement 'greater confidence' in the credibility of some aspects of the dossier as they continue to actively investigate its contents," CNN reported.

From the story:

…the intercepts do confirm that some of the conversations described in the dossier took place between the same individuals on the same days and from the same locations as detailed in the dossier, according to the officials. CNN has not confirmed whether any content relates to then-candidate Trump.

Also reporting on this story:

http://www.msnbc.com...hel-maddow-show

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
  • LocationRussia

Trump expects Russia to ‘return Crimea' – White House

Clearly not the best beginning for his proposed "Big Deal" with Russia. No, nobody expected that he will recognize the accession of Crimea, but we expected he at least will not raise this issue. And instead...  :fie:

• Yuli Ban likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,240 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

There's the danger that Trump will actually be more hostile to Russia than Obama ever was if the right catalyst is there.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,778 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Trump expects Russia to ‘return Crimea' – White House

Clearly not the best beginning for his proposed "Big Deal" with Russia. No, nobody expected that he will recognize the accession of Crimea, but we expected he at least will not raise this issue. And instead...  :fie:

You should never have trusted Trump. We tried warning you that he was unpredictable compared to Clinton's assuredly Russophobic Wall Street-Democrat actions. He's a businessman, first and foremost— and a pretty lousy one at that. He's very adept at stabbing others in the back. That's just what you do in the mad world of business. 

You don't become a billionaire by making friends. You become a billionaire by using others until they provide no more use for you. There are very, very few exceptions to this rule (almost all of them in the world of entrepreneurialism), and absolutely no exceptions in the world of trust-fund Wall Street kids. Trump hails from the latter.

The best bet at this point is to hope he actually is under the thumb of Putin. Otherwise, there's no telling what he might do. He may very well decide that Russia not giving up Crimea is worth breaking off diplomatic ties with, or restoring and amplifying sanctions— or worse.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
  • LocationRussia

You should never have trusted Trump.

I didn't.

If you'll dig in my old posts, i only told for Russia this is a choise between inadequate enemy (Hillary) and more reasonable one (Trump). Hard bargainer is still better than fanatic who doesn't even going to bargain. The second hope was (and still is) that his victory will create the permanent political crisis in USA during the next 4 or 8 years.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,240 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

The second hope was (and still is) that his victory will create the permanent political crisis in USA during the next 4 or 8 years.

We have a huge political crisis in America alright...

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 14,778 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I didn't.

If you'll dig in my old posts, i only told for Russia this is a choise between inadequate enemy (Hillary) and more reasonable one (Trump). Hard bargainer is still better than fanatic who doesn't even going to bargain. The second hope was (and still is) that his victory will create the permanent political crisis in USA during the next 4 or 8 years.

Oh trust me, my friend— that's not going to happen.

The moment it looks like there will be a permanent or even year-long political crisis, the GOP will knock out Trump and install Pence. They're already trying to install Pence. And because they dominate Congress, they will get their way. They're just looking for an excuse, and it looks like they're getting one.

Pence will be like George Bush on steroids, with the ultraconservative religious fervor of Ted Cruz and neoconservative warmongering of Hillary Clinton— with a fully Republican government to sign off on anything and everything he wants. Trump's isolationism and sabotage of America's dominance will be swiftly reversed. 

Question: is Russia still friendly with Iran? If so, then I have some bad news...

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
  • LocationRussia

Oh trust me, my friend— that's not going to happen.

The moment it looks like there will be a permanent or even year-long political crisis, the GOP will knock out Trump and install Pence. They're already trying to install Pence.

Question: is Russia still friendly with Iran? If so, then I have some bad news...

1) Well, wait and see. I still think enemies of Trump heavily underestimate him and his fighting qualities.

2) Not so much, actually. Iran is often described as попутчик (companion, fellow traveller) than союзник (ally). There were already numerous discussions about "what should we do if/when USA will jump on Iran?" The most common opinion was "we'll help Iran, but not in bigger degree than Iran helped us in Ukraine". And this is the most reasonable position, IMHO. If America seeking for a new victim to once again demonstate its greatness and exceptionalism, then so be it. I only afraid Iran will not be easy victim.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 14,778 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

1) Well, wait and see. I still think enemies of Trump heavily underestimate him and his fighting qualities.

2) Not so much, actually. Iran is often described as попутчик (companion, fellow traveller) than союзник (ally). There were already numerous discussions about "what should we do if/when USA will jump on Iran?" The most common opinion was "we'll help Iran, but not in bigger degree than Iran helped us in Ukraine". And this is the most reasonable position, IMHO. If America seeking for a new victim to once again demonstate its greatness and exceptionalism, then so be it. I only afraid Iran will not be easy victim.

1) The thing is, these particular enemies of Trump are not the pussyfoot Democrats who are better at character assassination; they're not like the liberals. No, these are the "Grassy Knoll" types. Trump slips up again, there goes his head. Trump tries to consolidate power, they get the military to burn Washington D.C. to the ground. Trump tries to flee, they'll send an FA-22 to shoot down Air Force 1. If Trump slips away, he doesn't become Napoleon at Elba; he becomes Emmanuel Goldstein. They are likely the ones who knew exactly what Trump was going to do from the beginning, the ones for whom Trump is not the least bit unpredictable. For all we know, they probably knew from the start that Trump would emerge victorious and know exactly when it's time to take him out.

2) Good. I don't want the world to end up an irradiation plain of ashes. And yes, attacking Iran is a purely Minipax move meant to drain excesses resources. It'll cause a full-scale regional war that the US likely won't win using the same limited war tactics we've been using since 1964. It'll draw in Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and potentially even Russia (though more indirectly). 

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 3,530 posts

On Being Accused of Acting as a Russian Collaborator

https://theintercept...d-up-on-border/

Extract:

Along with the U.S., the U.K. has been rapidly building up its military presence in the Baltic region, including in states that border Russia, and is now about to send another 800 troops to Estonia, 500 of which will be permanently based.

In response, Russia has moved its own troops within its country near those borders, causing serious military tensions to rise among multiple nuclear-armed powers. Throughout 2016, the Russian and U.S. militaries have engaged in increasingly provocative and aggressive maneuvers against one another. This week, the U.S. began deploying 4,000 troops to Poland, “the biggest deployment of U.S. troops in Europe since the end of the Cold War.”

It was in this context that (Jeremy) Corbyn said it is “unfortunate that troops have gone up to the border on both sides,” adding that “he wanted to see better relations between Russia, NATO and the EU.” The Labour leader explained that while Russia has engaged in serious human rights abuses both domestically and in Syria, there must be “better relationships between both sides … there cannot be a return to a Cold War mentality.”

The response to Corbyn’s call for better relations and de-escalation of tensions with Moscow was swift and predictable. The armed forces minister for Britain’s right-wing government, Mike Penning, accused Corbyn of being a collaborator with the Kremlin:

…This is the same propagandistic formulation that has been used for decades in the West to equate opposition to militarism with some form of disloyalty or treason: If you oppose military confrontation with a foreign adversary or advocate better relations with it, then you are accused of harboring secret sympathy and even support for those foreign leaders, and are often suspected of being an active “collaborator” with (or “stooge” for) them

telegraphcold-1484572948-540x556.png

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
  • LocationRussia

Russian ambassador to UN Vitaly Churkin dies – Foreign Ministry

Vitaly Churkin, who served as Russia's permanent representative to the United Nations since 2006, "died suddenly" in New York, the Russian Foreign Ministry announced.
Churkin would have turned 65 on Tuesday.

The announcement "of the untimely passing away of Ambassador Vitaly Churkin this morning," delivered during a session at the UN HQ was met with shock.

He was a great man, talented diplomat and true patriot. Call me conspiracy theorist if you want, but i just can't believe he died a natural death.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 3,530 posts

Russian Officials Just Confirmed Trump Is Lying Through His Teeth

http://occupydemocra...mp-lying-teeth/

Exgtract:

Since before his election victory, President Donald Trump and his administration have strongly insisted that there were no communications between his team and the Russian government. Trump said last week during a press conference that “I have nothing to do with Russia. To the best of my knowledge, no person that I deal with does.”

…But yet another bombshell has been dropped. This time it wasn’t by any of Trump’s “enemies” in the media or intelligence community. Nope, it came from the Russians themselves!

Sergei A. Ryabkov, Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister, has stated that the Russian government maintained contacts with Trump’s immediate entourage during the election campaign. 

But Ryabkov isn’t the only Russian government official to publicly confirm Trump’s collusion with them. Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak also confirmed in short interview that Trump’s team, namely former adviser Michael Flynn, had held talks before the election, although he didn’t specify what was spoken about.

…Now that Russian officials have admitted to talking with Trump’s people, and the fact that it has been all but confirmed that Russia launched an espionage operation to help Trump win the election, it’s pretty easy to put two and two together. Trump’s team may not have had any part in Russia’s subversion of our democracy, but the fact the two sides were conversing begs the question: how deep does this conspiracy go?

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 3,530 posts

Here are 11 principles progressives can follow when they hear about (or talk about) Trump and Russia:

https://ourfuture.or...-not-each-other

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: United States, Russia, Vladimir Putin, Hillary Clinton, International diplomacy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users