Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Will Tibet be free from China?

Tibet China

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida, 2390 C.E.

I think they will eventually be free and become a proper country, What do members think?

Edited by Time_Traveller, 31 January 2012 - 10:46 AM.

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Well any viable nation should have the right to self-determination, if that’s what the population want. China don’t really seem to be shifting on their position and in a sense, you can see why they fear a ‘free tibet’ – China is the amalgamation of literally hundreds of distinct eastern cultures under an age old empire and if they allow Tibet to go, could it start a snowball of other movements popping up?
~Jon

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
I certainly hope so. But if what we've seen before the Olympics is any indication, it won't be anytime soon.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
Can't see it happening, China's investing billions on infrastructure in Western China.

antovador

antovador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Don't forget Tibet had a theocratic regime before Chinese presence as any European countries in the Middle Age. A free Tibet only have a sense if his regime is democratic and allow freedom to his citizens and I am not in favour about a Budist version of Saudi Arabia regime.

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
Hm... that's an interesting thought, isn't it? A Buddhist Saudi Arabia... Could such a thing be possible? Buddhism has got to be a solid contender for the most peaceful religion on Earth (unless you count us atheists, of course). Lets see... nations that are expressly Buddhist... there's Thailand, Cambodia, and Bhutan. Those are the only three countries where Buddhism is the state religion. Of those, I think the closest comparison to what a free Tibet might look like would be Bhutan. The only thing that I've ever known about Bhutan is that they measure Gross National Happiness, as opposed to Gross Domestic Product. That seems like a plus to me. Maybe they've got their priorities straighter than we do. Or, maybe not... Wikipedia says that in the 80s and 90s the (Buddhist) Bhutanese monarchy kicked out a fifth of the nation's population in order to preserve its national culture and identity - maybe that fifth just weren't happy there. Of course, Bhutan isn't beheading people for shoplifting or practicing witchcraft, and they don't have religious police that will imprison people for such crimes as driving while female. At worst, a free Tibet might show the door to the Uyghers (Central Asian Muslims), and to the Han Chinese and to the Hindus, but I doubt they'd even be able to do that much. Tibet would be a big country with a very small population and very harsh terrain. Any Tibetan state would have a hard time kicking out any group, even if they wanted to.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
Ah, Penn and Tellar... those guys are great... Sounds about right though... "It would be like Old Tibet, but maybe with a few reforms". So, religious rule, but reformed in order to maintain good relations with their benefactors in the West. (read, less eye-gouging) At any rate, I really don't think it'll happen. No country would actively support a Tibetan independence movement against China, beyond a few words now and again, and everyone knows it.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Let's not forget that they took over Tibet in 1912, with paramilitary forces, by surprise. UN never recognized Tibet as a country.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
The UK ruled India for roughly a century. If we're lucky China might change it's ways by 2040, according to this site's predictions. By then they'll allow a referendum for Independence.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tibet, China

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users