Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Russia Watch Thread

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

Some dashcam have registered the brief flash over the Black Sea:

...and if this will be confirmed, then this is the 100% terrorist act. I can only hope we'll find those who did this, no matter are they from USA or ISIS, and they'll severely regret.

• Yuli Ban likes this

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,144 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I doubt it's the USA or ISIS; I bet it's an agent from one of those "moderate rebels" in Syria seeking revenge for Aleppo.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

I doubt it's the USA or ISIS; I bet it's an agent from one of those "moderate rebels" in Syria seeking revenge for Aleppo.

I, other hand, HIGHLY doubt "moderate rebels" have an established intelligence network in Sochi, or able to destroy the well-protected and well-served military aircraft in foreign country. This is a difficult task, a task for real professionals.

Of course, I don't know for sure (and, most likely, will never know) but i'd bet 90% on USA and only 10% on others.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,144 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I, other hand, HIGHLY doubt "moderate rebels" have an established intelligence network in Sochi, or able to destroy the well-protected and well-served military aircraft in foreign country. This is a difficult task, a task for real professionals.

Of corse, I don't know for sure (and, most likely, will never know) but i'd bet 90% on USA and only 10% on others.

I didn't say they didn't have any help, just that I strongly doubt the CIA would do the dirty work themselves.

Remember Afghanistan?

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

So uh... this just happened. http://www.nytimes.c...emble.html?_r=0

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

Russian Activist, Likely Poisoned Before, Hospitalized Again

http://www.cbsnews.c...d-hospitalized/

Introduction:

MOSCOW -- A private foundation says one of its employees, a prominent Russian opposition activist, has been hospitalized after a sudden illness reminiscent of a poisoning he suffered two years earlier.

Open Russia, run by exiled Kremlin critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky, said in a statement on Thursday that Vladimir Kara-Murza was hospitalized earlier in the day after becoming ill. 

Kara-Murza, a journalist and a close associate of the murdered opposition leader Boris Nemtsov, nearly died when he suffered sudden kidney failure in May 2015.

No cause for that illness has been determined but Kara-Murza underwent tests showing he had ingested a poisonous substance. 

In light of the fatal poisoning of defector Alexander Litvinenko and the mysterious deaths of other Russian opposition figures, some worried that Kara-Murza could have been deliberately poisoned.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

The Breakthrough: What American Journalists Can Learn From Reporting Under Putin

https://www.propubli...ing-under-putin

Introduction:

After the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia slowly relinquished state control on the media and allowed a new industry to flourish.

But in recent years, the government has again worked to muzzle the press. Newsrooms have faced intimidation from the Kremlin, and some have been forced to shut down. Elizaveta Osetinskaya was the chief editor of the RBC, a newsroom that emerged at the forefront of Russian independent media while under her leadership. Osetinskaya pushed her reporters to deliver deep investigative dives on government corruption, an editorial path that some Russian journalists described as “suicidal.”

Last year, Osetinskaya and two of her colleagues were ousted from the RBC after they published stories on the Panama Papers, tying Putin’s associates to offshore bank accounts.

This week on The Breakthrough, Osetinskaya takes us inside the world of Russian investigative journalism, where reporting on corruption can have serious consequences.

Listen to this podcast on iTunesSoundCloud or Stitcher.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • LocationCanada

Aleksei Navalny, Viable Putin Rival, Is Barred From a Presidential Run

MOSCOW — A Russian court on Wednesday effectively derailed a presidential run by Aleksei A. Navalny — the only opposition candidate with a broad, enthusiastic popular following — by reviving a four-year-old criminal conviction.

The decision by the district court was widely viewed as a move by President Vladimir V. Putin to eliminate his only viable rival in an election scheduled for March 2018.

Although Mr. Putin has been coy about his decision to run for a fourth term, there is little question that he will. Some observers had speculated that the president would want a weighty opponent to lend legitimacy to his next victory.

The best chance for a competitive race came to a screeching halt on Wednesday, however, when a district court in the small city of Kirov, nearly 500 miles northeast of Moscow, pronounced Mr. Navalny guilty of defrauding a state company. Russian law bars anyone with a criminal conviction from seeking elected office.

Well, at least nobody slipped some polonium into his tea.

https://www.nytimes....alny-putin.html

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

Viable Putin Rival...  :biggrin:

Actually, he belong to political movement which got 2-3% in last duma elections. And this is not due to "wrong counting" and "stealing of votes" as they always complain. No, such is their real rating. I mean their combined rating, since our "liberal opposition" is also divided into bunch of tiny "political parties" completely unknown to average voter but constantly squabbling and intriguing against each other.

I just fail to imagine what should happen to really make him viable Putin rival.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • LocationCanada

Viable Putin Rival...  :biggrin:

Actually, he belong to political movement which got 2-3% in last duma elections. And this is not due to "wrong counting" and "stealing of votes" as they always complain. No, such is their real rating. I mean their combined rating, since our "liberal opposition" is also divided into bunch of tiny "political parties" completely unknown to average voter but constantly squabbling and intriguing against each other.

I just fail to imagine what should happen to really make him viable Putin rival.

I thought his "Progress Party" wasn't allowed to run in the 2016 Duma elections? Or are you talking about Yabloko?

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

I thought his "Progress Party" wasn't allowed to run in the 2016 Duma elections? Or are you talking about Yabloko?

To be honest, i know about Navalny but didn't ever hear about his "Progress Party" (so i had to ask wikipedia). By 2-3% i meant ALL these tiny parties and movements positioning themselves as "liberal opposition".

As for his party "wasn't allowed", this is quite logical: to run in current Duma elections, party should have at least 3% votes gained in previous campaign or at least one deputee in one of regional parliaments. Otherwise they have to collect signatures and this is much more difficult way... thus, tens of tiny parties are filtered out & this "Progress Party" was one of them. Of course, he may (and do) insist this happened because "Regime is afraid of me!", but i don't think so.

=== === ===

Summary: the real situation in Russia & the moods and preferences of Russian people are "a bit" different from opinion of New York Times.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,144 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

How's the National Bolshevik Party doing?

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

How's the National Bolshevik Party doing?

I'm afraid, not any better than "Progress Party" of Navalny. :) Other words, they're still continue to exist, but as a tiny club of bohemian leftists and rightwingers with no connection to common people. As result, both workers and nationalists overwhelmingly vote for Putin and his "United Russia".

Such is reality, whether you like it or: Putin is indeed a popular leader and there are NO any serious rivals to him in modern Russia. In fact, this is an unhealthy situation: he's neither young nor becomes younger. In 2024 he'll resign (this time for real, not formal) & there should already be another "national leader" by this time.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

I'll leave it here, just for information:

Love to Stalin among Russians reached a historic 16-years-maximum

754871360185521.jpg

First graph: your realition to... Lenin, Khrushchev, Brezhnev, Andropov, Gorbachev, Yeltsin, Putin.

Second graph: your realition to Stalin.

Colors: dark green - admiration, green - respect, light green - sympathy, gray - indifference, red - dislike, light red - fear, dark red - disgust and hate, blue - no opinion.

As you can see, Putin is the most loved person: 14% admire him, and almost nobody hate or despise. These are, of course, a bit artificial results, this "love" will not last long after his future resignation.

Other hand, mass rejection of Gorbachev and Yeltsin, as well as growing simpathy to comrade Stalin can not be results of propaganda, these are real people's feelings.

=== === ===

They didn't asked me, but if they did, the answer would be:

Lenin - respect

Stalin - respect

Khrushchev - indifference

Brezhnev - dislike

Andropov - respect

Gorbachev - disgust and hate

Yeltsin - disgust and hate

Putin - respect

• As We Rise likes this

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
Out of all these guys that you respect, can you explain why? all I see is a heap of shit list which lead what should have been a GREAT country to a backward country which only gets by these days with oil, no better than the middle east.

The worst performer of the last 100 years. Having spent the last century concentrating on losing a geopolitical/economical/psycological war to USA the whole time. Wasted a whole century on it.

Stalin that idiot sold out to Hitler. How did that go for you?

Backstabbed and 20 million Russian casualties.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

Out of all these guys that you respect, can you explain why? all I see is a heap of shit list which lead what should have been a GREAT country to a backward country which only gets by these days with oil, no better than the middle east.

The worst performer of the last 100 years. Having spent the last century concentrating on losing a geopolitical/economical/psycological war to USA the whole time. Wasted a whole century on it.

To explain, i'd have to write an essay about each of them. And judging by your vision of Russian history, it would be a waste of time. So, no... maybe next time.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
I can't wait for this next time.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

I can't wait for this next time.

Really? But i already said, it will be just a waste of time. You have your own established views... this is wonderful! I know they're terribly wrong and distorted, but i also know i can not change them no matter how hard i will try. And vice versa. Therefore, let's just leave it as it is.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,144 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

1- Oh, so the Nazbols are nowhere near power? Fantastic.

They didn't asked me, but if they did, the answer would be:

Lenin - respect

Stalin - respect

Khrushchev - indifference

Brezhnev - dislike

Andropov - respect

Gorbachev - disgust and hate

Yeltsin - disgust and hate

Putin - respect

You missed one leader. Or, more accurately, they missed one leader. And I'm not talking about Medvedev.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

You missed one leader. Or, more accurately, they missed one leader. And I'm not talking about Medvedev.

Who?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users