Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Russia Watch Thread

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

I think that we both have bad conceptions of each other(Russia, and the west) and neither wants to attack as much as the other think they do.

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Anyway, in my eyes Sweden preparing to invade Russia sounds 1000 times more plausible than Russia preparing to invade some shitty Latvia.

1000x0 is still 0.

This is the part you're not getting but you keep bringing up—

I don't want to be on the giving or receiving end of that.

For as long as nuclear weapons exist, NATO will not attack Russia, and vice versa. And this won't change. In fact, this hesitance to engage in total war will only grow ever more airtight because we are doing nothing to eliminate WMDs. Despite how psychotic our leaders may seem to you, they still don't wish to die just to stop the rise of a resurgent Russia. In the West, people feel the same way towards Russian leaders and billionaires, but you seem adamant that they don't want to wage war.

Well, for the most part. There is one family of billionaires out there I don't trust at all. And it's not like Russia's innocent of that sorta mindset.

Well, I should say that we won't physically attack you. I've been trying to kick up this discussion throughout this thread about how I'm starting to feel World War III will actually play out, but no one's taking the bait. Yet. And I'll still keep trying.

What I also don't get is why Russian nationalists are supporting the Western rightists when you know full well that, if they come to power, they will make sure to humiliate me and render me a liar by waging war on Russia. And China. Whatever pledges of support they give today will be totally betrayed tomorrow— what happened 75 years ago should be obvious in that regard. Nationalists don't care about saving Western civilization from "the scourge of social justice liberalism"— they care about increasing the power of their respective countries and races; if we had a hypernationalist West, it wouldn't take much to trigger a war between, say, France and Germany. There's always that other reason that's currently just a conspiracy theory and won't mention, but it is odd.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I think that we both have bad conceptions of each other(Russia, and the west) and neither wants to attack as much as the other think they do.

This is what I've been trying to say, said in only a single sentence (as usual). 

joe00uk

joe00uk

Marxist-Leninist Futurist ☭

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationUK

Is NATO actually superior? Also considering that Russia would likely get some kind of help from China.

Any thoughts?

"The Proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains." - Karl Marx
"A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentleso temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another."  - Mao Zedong

joe00uk

joe00uk

Marxist-Leninist Futurist ☭

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationUK

By the way, NATO would have a lot to gain from invading Russia. A resurgent Russia obstructing the global agenda and dominance of the NATO imperialist bloc is, quite understandably, a pretty big threat to NATO. And given that Russia is strengthening its ties with China as they become a competing imperialist bloc with NATO, it would be a big achievement for NATO if they were able to weaken that bloc, and possibly destroy it. They don't want to return to a multipolar world, and right now we're in the transition to such a multipolar world. The unipolar world of unhindered US hegemony that existed between 1991 and 2014 is what they want to return to. And the time will come, most likely after a renewed economic crisis from which (ostensibly) the only way out will be war, when it will be desperate enough to do what today most consider unthinkable.

"The Proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains." - Karl Marx
"A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentleso temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another."  - Mao Zedong

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

NATO is superior in regards to technological ability and power projection. But the cold fact is that we have no idea how a war between us would go because none of us have fought directly since the '50s.

China and America fought each other to a stalemate, despite the fact that we were throwing half a million troops into Korea and threatened to use nuclear weapons. Hence why the world views 1953 as one of the possible ends of China's Century of Humiliation

If the Allies and the USSR fought World War 2.5 in 1945, there's little doubt that we'd also reach a stalemate, though the Soviets could push all the way to Portugal and essentially create the Nineteen Eighty-Four superstate known as Eurasia.

If nukes were not an issue— if all sides agreed to pull a WWII and not use WMDs no matter how brutal the fighting got or how far it got into our nations' heartlands— then it's actually likely NATO couldn't overcome a combined force of Russia and China. Europe certainly couldn't hold its own against Russia. And despite everything Recyvuym tried saying to convince me otherwise, America cannot defeat China head-on. Whether Russia could defeat America head-on without nukes, I don't know. 

Though I said that we can't defeat China, note my words— I didn't say they could defeat us either. China still has a lack of power projection, so they'd most likely be stuck with fighting a purely defensive war. That won't always be the case— as soon as 2025, China will likely be able to invade the US and sustain an invasion force. But in 2017, that's not the case.

When it comes to Russia vs. America, again, I don't know. Theoretically, America should emerge victorious. But first-rate militaries are just so powerful these days that it's hard to say. We've only ever fought poorer, weaker nations. Iraq supposedly had one of the world's finest armies, but Iraq was literally emerging from a devastating and demoralizing 8-year-long war with Iran, so they weren't fighting at their optimal capability. It would be as if Great Britain restarted the War of 1812 in 1868.

The bigger question: what sort of help would China actually give Russia? They're both opposed to American hegemony over the planet, and they're both pro-authoritarian. But China is still a valued customer of the USA; even if they disagree with neoliberalism, they profit from it. So they won't be keen on our total destruction. If war between Russia and the US broke out, China would most likely try to keep it from becoming a total war. And if one side tries breaking that promise, China will side with the other. They'd have preferences for Russia— sort of like how the US had preferences for England and France in WWI and WWII— but that's no guarantee that they'd join Russia's side. Or anyone's side, for that matter.

Most likely scenario, though, is that Russia and China continue harrying the West and the West continues harrying Russia and China, with our respective medias always talking about war with the other when we so much as sneeze in the wrong direction. Repeat ad nauseam. We'll be talking about how tensions between us are "rising" in the 2040s the same we do today.

The media wants you to be cynical towards such a proposition because their coffers get fatter when we have an enemy to fear and when you're scared of the prospect of war or being controlled by a foreign, alien nation. Hence why Trump briefly became "presidential" when he dropped an 11-ton bomb on Afghanistan.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

ALSO, isn't it odd how a "Russia Watch Thread" that's dominated by Westerners constantly devolves into discussing war and military action as if it's some sort of inevitability? Maybe that seeds into PhoenixRu's observations.
Of course, I should probably not be entertaining such thoughts.
"Bad USican prole. Russia and China are your mortal enemy. We have always been at cultural war with them. You'd better stop questionin' and start believin' or we'll send a few 'correctional patrols' to make sure you're not a spy."

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • LocationCanada

ALSO, isn't it odd how a "Russia Watch Thread" that's dominated by Westerners constantly devolves into discussing war and military action as if it's some sort of inevitability? Maybe that seeds into PhoenixRu's observations.
Of course, I should probably not be entertaining such thoughts.
"Bad USican prole. Russia and China are your mortal enemy. We have always been at cultural war with them. You'd better stop questionin' and start believin' or we'll send a few 'correctional patrols' to make sure you're not a spy."

Rather, it's PhoenixRu who is always bringing up war with the West (in his favoured form of an impending NATO invasion). That speaks to me more about the mindset of Russians, assuming PhoenixRu is representative of the majority of Russians (judging by the level of support Putin receives, he is). I'll reiterate that a few thousand NATO troops stationed in the Baltics pose no threat to Russia, Russia has a conventional military capable of conquering mainland Europe within a week, and in the past decade only Russia has attacked its neighbours, not the other way around. By no means am I suggesting Russia will actually invade the West, mainly because I understand what nuclear weapons are.

I've thought of another metaphor for the situation; the big, menacing bully constantly complains about the skinny little kids not liking him, and then proceeds to shove their heads down the toilet every lunch. 

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Rather, it's PhoenixRu who is always bringing up war with the West

I briefly mentioned this as one of "wild cards" in big post about Russian future. Not my fault if everyone wants to discuss this part and not, for example, perspectives of economic growth or chances of Putin's successor to win the elections-2024.

...in the past decade only Russia has attacked its neighbours, not the other way around.

Really? Are you forgot Georgia and this madman mr. Saakashvili, whose adventures continues in modern day Ukraine? Yes, perhaps it will be difficult to admit and believe for a person like you... But yes, it was exactly Saakashvili who started the war and killed a lot of Russian peacekeepers in surprise attack. Even Eurocomission was forced to admit this. Not that they ceased to blame Russia, but at least now they're blaming us for "overreaction" instead of "aggression".

I've thought of another metaphor for the situation; the big, menacing bully constantly complains about the skinny little kids not liking him, and then proceeds to shove their heads down the toilet every lunch. 

Reminded me the wise and prophetic words of another "menacing bully" from XIX century - Fyodor Dostoevsky - who described the relations of future Russia with future small European Slavic states (didn't even existed by then):

Incidentally, I’ll make a few special remarks about the Slavs and the Slavic question. And I’ve been wanting to say this for a long time. It’s just now that everyone in Russia has suddenly begun talking about the imminent possibility of peace, about the imminent possibility of somehow solving the Slavic question. Let’s give our fantasy free rein and imagine suddenly that the whole matter is ended, that through Russia’s insistence and blood the Slavs are already liberated and, moreover, that the Turkish Empire no longer exists and the Balkan peninsula is free and is living a new life.

Even now it’s possible to know two things for certain: (1) that sooner or later all the Slavic tribes of the Balkan peninsula will ultimately be freed from the Turkish yoke and will begin to live a new, free, and, perhaps, independent life; and (2)… Well, it’s this second thing, which will most certainly come to pass, that I intended to talk about long ago.

This second thing is my inner conviction, complete and overpowering, that Russia never will have and never has had anyone who can hate, envy, slander, and even display open enmity toward her as much as all these Slavic tribes will the moment Russia liberates them and Europe agrees to recognize their liberation! And you needn’t raise objections, dispute my view, or shout that I am exaggerating and that I hate the Slavs! On the contrary, I have great love for the Slavs; but I am not going to defend myself because I know that everything will come to pass exactly the way I have said...

I repeat: after their liberation they will begin their new life by asking Europe—England and Germany, for instance—for guarantees and protection of their freedom, and even though Russia will also be part of the concert of European powers, they will do this precisely as a means of defense against Russia... It will be particularly pleasant for the liberated Slavs to announce and trumpet to the whole world that they are educated peoples capable of attaining the heights of European culture, while Russia is a barbaric country, a gloomy northern colossus, that she does not even have pure Slavic blood and is the oppressor and hater of European civilization.

They will have a constitutional form of government from the very beginning, of course, with parliaments, responsible ministers, orators, and speeches. They will take tremendous comfort and delight in this. They’ll be in raptures when they read reports about themselves in the Paris and London newspapers informing the whole world that after a lengthy storm in parliament the cabinet has finally fallen in Bulgaria and a new one has been formed from the liberal majority, and that some Ivan Chiftlik of theirs has at last agreed to accept the portfolio of president of the council of ministers. Russia must seriously prepare herself to watch all these liberated Slavs rushing rapturously off to Europe to be infected by European forms, both political and social, to the point where their own personalities are lost; and so they will have to undergo a whole long period of Europeanism before comprehending anything of their own significance as Slavs and their particular Slavic mission among humanity. These little countries will be eternally quarreling, eternally envying one another and plotting against one another.

Of course, the moment there is any serious disaster they will certainly turn to Russia for help. No matter how much they may spread hatred, gossip, and slander against us in Europe as they flirt with her and assure her of their love, they will always instinctively feel (in a moment of disaster, of course, but not before) that Europe is the natural enemy of their unity, that she always was and always will be, and that if they exist in the world it is naturally because there is a gigantic magnet, Russia, irresistibly drawing them all to her and so maintaining their integrity and unity. There will even be moments when they will be capable almost consciously of agreeing that were it not for Russia, the great center of the East and the great attracting force, their unity would collapse in an instant and fly into fragments and their very nationality would disappear into the European ocean, just as a few drops of water disappear into the sea.

Wise man! Indeed, Russia never will have and never has had bigger enemies and haters than these "small tribes whose own personalities are lost".

And this is not XIX century, this is 2017. The triumphant Polish scum are busy destroying another Soviet war cemetery... an important lesson for Mother-Russia!

in_article_ad1b7bd3b8.png

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Another very good Russia-related article (in Russian, my translation, so...)

"West-2017" scared the West for a good reason. After all, Russia is no longer kind

1505162349.jpg

The "West-2017" military exercises gave another numerous reasons for the Russian public to have fun, watching the extremely emotional, on the verge of a nervous breakdown, reaction of our closest western neighbors, especially the Baltic ones...

Here in Russia, it is common habit to laugh over their nervous - and sometimes almost hysterical - attitude to the "Russian threat" The attempts to analize them (fears and phobias) usually ends with statements like: "they must understand that this all is nonsense, therefore this is just a game on public to extract certain benefits for themselves".

Without denying all of the above, let's look at this situation a bit more closely. And then it will be clear that, from the side of Eastern European elites, this is not a game at all. The truth is that they are really afraid of Russia. And moreover, if you look very deeply, it becomes clear that this fear is not baseless. Their fears of Russia are based on serious and absolutely rational motives that are worth understanding... it's enough to just look at the events happening in the world with their eyes.

First, Russia once again "cheated" the whole world and instead of dying and leaving her resources at the disposal of the "world community", managed not only to survive, but also to return on the world stage in a relatively good shape.

Second, this returned Russia demonstrates new traits and habits, very unusual for her-former-self: lack of sentimentality and even the sophisticated cynicism towards those whom she used to call "fraternal peoples" for centuries. It is enough to look at how Russia acted in Ukraine, which was perceived as not just "fraternal people", but as part of Russia herself. In fact, with regard to Ukraine, Russia has chosen the most ruthless option possible: Ukraine is left to its fate, and if required, Moscow acts in her own interests so that the situation there is worsening.

The thought that comes to mind to Russian neighbors is quite obvious: if Russia has freed herself from any sentimental feelings towards Ukraine, how cynical and tough can she be towards the rest?

Third and probably the most important thing: Russia is preparing for war. Yes, actually preparing. First and foremost, on the western direction. The exercise "West-2017" reflects the significant and absolutely clear trend of Russian military policy.

Our neighbors may well understand that this demonstrativeness directly indicates that Russia is guided by the classical "Si vis pacem, para bellum" principle and that this way Russia hopes to prevent the possible military clash. But it does not make it any easier for them. After all, apart from the Latin principle, there are two Russian ones: the classical one about "rifle on the wall", and the modern one: "Russia will never again fight on her own territory".

And there are also the global trends that our worried neighbors can not ignore: the collapse of the existing hierarchy of powers, the degradation of the global hegemon, the degeneration of elites and the massive growth of general instability. And their hopes that notorious "rifle on the wall" will not fire, are evaporating... and if the world situation will explode, then they will be first to "fall under the distribution of gifts". And given the aforementioned loss of Russian sentimentality towards Eastern Europeans - their fears are no longer so ridiculous.

Therefore, of course, it remains for them to count not on "Russia will spare us" but only on "We are not needed to them".

Exactly my thoughts and feelings! I, too, cannot refrain from this "sophisticated cynicism" when imagine the bitter and hopeless future of those little hostile nations. And those of them who are now whining and complaining about "Soviet slavery" will eventually understand and feel on their own skins how kind and merciful Soviets were...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Russia and US agree to co-operate on building first space station to orbit the moon

Russia and the United States have agreed to co-operate on a NASA-led project to build the first lunar space station, part of a long-term project to explore deep space and send humans to Mars.
Following in the footsteps of the International Space Station, the moon ship would be open to astronauts and cosmonauts from around the world.
Space bosses hope the Deep Space Gateway will allow mankind to stage space flights to Mars and elsewhere in the Solar System.
"The partners intend to develop international technical standards which will be used later, in particular to create a space station in lunar orbit," the Russian space agency said in a statement after the signing of an agreement at a conference in Adelaide.
In a mission statement for the project, NASA said: "NASA is leading the next steps into deep space near the moon, where astronauts will build and begin testing the systems needed for challenging missions to deep space destinations including Mars.

• Maximus and BasilBerylium like this

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Russia and US agree to co-operate on building first space station to orbit the moon

Russia and the United States have agreed to co-operate on a NASA-led project to build the first lunar space station, part of a long-term project to explore deep space and send humans to Mars.
Following in the footsteps of the International Space Station, the moon ship would be open to astronauts and cosmonauts from around the world.
Space bosses hope the Deep Space Gateway will allow mankind to stage space flights to Mars and elsewhere in the Solar System.
"The partners intend to develop international technical standards which will be used later, in particular to create a space station in lunar orbit," the Russian space agency said in a statement after the signing of an agreement at a conference in Adelaide.
In a mission statement for the project, NASA said: "NASA is leading the next steps into deep space near the moon, where astronauts will build and begin testing the systems needed for challenging missions to deep space destinations including Mars.

s78_23252.jpg

:yes:

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

Russian opposition holds rallies on Putin's birthday

http://www.aljazeera...7142832479.html

Introduction:

Moscow (Al Jazeera) - Thousands of people have flocked to rallies across Russia in support of opposition leader Alexei Navalny, in an event that coincided with the birthday of President Vladimir Putin. 

In Moscow, thousands gathered at Pushkinskaya Square on Saturday under a heavy police presence, chanting: "Putin will leave! We will not!" and "Happy birthday!" The crowd attempted to march towards Manezhnaya Square near the Kremlin but was prevented by police. 

"I wanted to come out on Putin's birthday to protest. He has done already a lot of harm. I'm against him and for free elections," Inna Kavatsun, a 55-year-old retired real estate agent, told Al Jazeera.

Ivan, an 18-year-old university student who did not provide his last name, noted that protesters wanted "to express our disagreement with what is going on in this country".

"Alexei Navalny, after he announced he wants to run for president, started getting constantly arrested and harassed. We have come out to express our rejection of that," he said.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Moscow (Al Jazeera) - Thousands of people have flocked to rallies across Russia in support of opposition leader Alexei Navalny

And here are some photos from those powerfull rallies...

Petersburg:

Spoiler

Novosibirsk:

Spoiler

Yekaterinburg:

Spoiler

My home city Samara:

Spoiler

=== === ===

PS and i've recently read in "The Economist" that Catalan separatists are pathetic marginals, their rallies gathering "only very few tens of thousands"... well...

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

Oh, those photos prove nothing.  It is very easy to imply a low turn out by use of selective angles, taking photos before peak turn out, etc.

In the west, that is why we (not always successfully) strive to have free and fair elections.  To count who is on who's side.  

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Oh, those photos prove nothing.

Oh, man... i'm not trying to prove something, i'm already a bit tired of this. Let everyone believe what he want.

It is very easy to imply a low turn out by use of selective angles

These photos were taken by demonstrators themselves. They didn't found the better angle.

In the west, that is why we (not always successfully) strive to have free and fair elections.  To count who is on who's side.  

Reasonable. On the last elections our "liberal opposition" gained 0,7%.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

The notorious Kremlin-linked ‘troll farm’ and the Russians trying to take it down

https://www.washingt...ed02_story.html

Introduction:

SHUSHARY, Russia — She rode into a pitch-black truck stop on a scooter, stepped out of the pouring rain into a gas station cafe on the outskirts of St. Petersburg and recounted her quest to bring down Russia’s infamous “troll farm.”

Lyudmila Savchuk is one of a disparate handful of Russian journalists, activists and legal experts who have tried to shed light on the shadowy operation that has become a focal point of U.S. investigations into Kremlin meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

And like most people who challenge the established order in today’s Russia, Savchuk and the others are jousting against a nebulous entity with apparent Kremlin ties and evident protection from government and law-enforcement agencies. For them, this is a task that entails significant risks and little chance of success.

How much the trolls affected the outcome of the U.S. election is unclear. But their omnipresence is evident on Twitter and in the comments sections of publications like The Washington Post, where trolls can be found criticizing news stories, lambasting other posters and accusing one another of being trolls.

While the troll farm’s operations have stirred concerns about the reach of Kremlin propaganda across Europe and the United States, Savchuk and her cohorts are worried about their own country.

AP_212175957603.JPG?uuid=FGeNOKkdEeeamAc

Lyudmila Savchuk in her apartment in St. Petersburg, in 2015.

(Dmitry Lovetsky/AP)

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

Today, one needs to keep one eye on the CIA and another eye on the Russians:

How Putin’s Russia uses Soviet-era tricks to evoke racist white fears

https://www.washingt...:homepage/story

Revelations of Russian-bought Facebook ads designed to gin up racial discord between white Americans and minority groups may have come as a surprise to many Americans, but it shouldn’t have. The Washington Post reported recently that Russia-backed entities spent at least $100,000 on Facebook ads designed to pit white, Trump-leaning Americans against Black Lives Matter activists and minorities in general. Those ads include one of a black woman shooting a gun, which was supposedly  conceived to spark racial fears. A troll farm connected to The Kremlin even bought ads on Instagram. Just today, The Post reported Russia also tried to manipulate Google during the 2016 election. These efforts were likely designed to sway public opinion in favor of Trump, whose own campaign rhetoric was imbued with racial fear-mongering.

We still don’t know exactly how any of these social media efforts informed Americans’ voting choices in 2016. But none of us should be surprised that Russia exploited American racism to achieve its own foreign policy objectives. As a Russian supremacist state, the former USSR understood very well how to weaponize racism. It wielded Russian homogeneity against its own minorities during its 70-plus years of existence.

At a basic level, the use of the word “republic” to describe Russia’s member states is problematic. “Republic” is wording that suggests agency and autonomy. In reality, they were nothing more than colonies of Moscow. One of the first things a colonizer does is center its ethnic superiority over the peoples it rules. During the early 1930s, Joseph Stalin waged “Holodomor” (or Holocaust) against Ukraine that enforced strict collectivization policies depriving its people of meats, grains and other food stuffs. The best numbers have the death figure at 4 million people, but some estimates have that figure upwards of 10 million.

The cause? Ukrainians refused to give in to Stalin’s collectivization campaign, which he read as resistance to Soviet rule. Experts have long argued that his collectivization campaign was genocide. While Stalin was, indeed, a Georgian, he presided over a USSR that centered Russians as the leading ethnic group. Indeed, one does not need to be Russian to advance Russian supremacy any more than someone needing to be white to advance white supremacy here in America.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

I already got used to this Neo-McCarthyist hysteria with "Russian hackers and trolls" and admiration by Navalny, but USSR as "Russian supremacist state"? OMG, enough... i'm out from this thread... you've won, Caltrek, now continue without me.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,750 posts

McCain scolds Trump for missing Russian sanctions deadline
Source: The Hill

Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Ben Cardin (D-Md.) slammed the Trump administration on Wednesday for missing a key deadline in implementing sanctions against Russia.

“The delay calls into question the Trump administration’s commitment to the sanctions bill which was signed into law more than two months ago, following months of public debate and negotiations in Congress. They’ve had plenty of time to get their act together," the pair said in a joint statement on Wednesday.

By Oct. 1, the McCain and Cardin-penned sanctions bill required the administration clarify which targets would be identified and punished as part of Russia's defense and intelligence sectors. The administration has not yet done so.

The bill had been intended to force President Trump into punishing Russia for its tampering in the 2016 presidential election, with legislators fearing that the president would be overly lenient.

-snip-

Read more: http://thehill.com/p...ctions-deadline

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users