Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Nanotechnology & Material Science News and Discussions

nanotechnology nano microtechnology micro material science metamaterials graphene atomic engineering molecular manufacturing nanobots

• Please log in to reply
634 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The World’s 1st Molecular Robot Has Just Been Created by UK Scientists

Now, a team at the University of Manchester in the UK has reached another milestone. They’ve developed a robot so small, it operates on the molecular level. This, the world’s first molecular robot has an arm which can manipulate individual molecules or move them in clusters.
The thing is a millionth of a millimeter in size. To give you an idea of the scale we’re talking about, one quintillion (a billion billion) of them piled together would be about equal to a few grains of salt. Each machine is comprised of 150 atoms. That includes carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen atoms. Though small, these machines could offer us incredible capabilities, such as to work in tiny, molecular factories, in order to manufacture the next generation of materials and products.

To put that into even better perspective, that's a nanometer in size. I mean, Christ! Just say it!

• Casey likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

superexistence

superexistence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Drexler was right!

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Drexler was right!

Well, it was obvious to him from the very beginning. At least that's how it is like to geniuses who appeared way before their time. No, no... no such thing as appearing before one's time because that would mean nothing would get invented.

This also affirms what Ray Kurzweil has been saying all along - nanobots will keep us healthy and achieve infinite lifespans. This is merely the first step towards that eventuality.

I also suspect this is how the space elevator with the required specific strength for its tether will get build.

And don't forget the molecular replicator! We won't need farms to grow food... heck we won't even have to grow it at all. Food just gets "built" and served on a very nice silver platter.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

The World’s 1st Molecular Robot Has Just Been Created by UK Scientists

To put that into even better perspective, that's a nanometer in size. I mean, Christ! Just say it!

The thing is a millionth of a millimeter in size. To give you an idea of the scale we’re talking about, one quintillion (a billion billion) of them piled together would be about equal to a few grains of salt.

LOL, I was reading a comment section in another site about this news - someone boldly declared "My waifu is coming!" I guess it's the meme among the desperate and hopefuls.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,766 posts

A novel textile material that keeps itself germ-free
October 5, 2017

Scientists have developed a novel weapon in the battle against deadly hospital-acquired infections - a textile that disinfects itself.

And independent tests show it can reduce bacteria levels by more than 90 per cent.

By incorporating the specially-engineered textile in a device designed to be used on hospital doors instead of the traditional aluminium door plate, that part of the door that people push to open it - they aim to bolster hand hygiene.

The self-disinfecting device - known as Surfaceskins - has been developed by a spin out company from the University of Leeds and is the culmination of seven years research and development.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...m-free.html#jCp

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

There's a New Quantum Material That Mimics Human Brains in an Unexpected Way

“[It] could represent the future of artificial intelligence – not because it retains vast amounts of data, but precisely because it doesn't.”

Scientists have discovered a quantum material that could represent the future of artificial intelligence – not because it retains vast amounts of data, but precisely because it doesn't.
The human brain is often singled out as being the most complex and powerful computer that scientists know of, and one of the mechanisms that enables this complexity is our ability to forget things – a phenomenon that can be mimicked in a material called samarium nickelate.
"The brain has limited capacity, and it can only function efficiently because it is able to forget," says one of the researchers, nanoscientist Subramanian Sankaranarayanan from the US Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratory (ANL).

• Maximus and Jakob like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,766 posts

Researchers offer insights into lightweight material that expands with heat
October 16, 2017 by Ali Sundermier

When it comes to taking up room without adding too much weight, the bubble can't be beat. Because they are mostly air, they're ultra-lightweight and can expand to fill any given space.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...terial.html#jCp

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,766 posts

Scientists Have Made a Two-Dimensional Material That's Never Been Seen in Nature

A team of researchers from RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia has reportedly made a 'once-in-a-decade discovery' that will radically change how we do chemistry.

The discovery? The creation of two-dimensional materials no thicker than a few atoms — something that's never been seen before in nature.

The research that led to this incredible find was led by Kourosh Kalantar-Zadeh and Torben Daeneke from RMIT's School of Engineering. Alongside their students, they worked on the material's development for over a year.

"When you write with a pencil, the graphite leaves very thin flakes called graphene, that can be easily extracted because they are naturally occurring layered structures," explains Daeneke.

"But what happens if these materials don't exist naturally? Here we found an extraordinary, yet very simple method to create atomically thin flakes of materials that don't naturally exist as layered structures."

While the new material is expected to be a new tool in chemistry, it also promises to improve our existing electronics. In fact, it's believed it could enhance data storage capabilities and make electronics faster.

https://www.sciencea...ne-2017-october

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

There's a New Quantum Material That Mimics Human Brains in an Unexpected Way

“[It] could represent the future of artificial intelligence – not because it retains vast amounts of data, but precisely because it doesn't.”

Scientists have discovered a quantum material that could represent the future of artificial intelligence – not because it retains vast amounts of data, but precisely because it doesn't.
The human brain is often singled out as being the most complex and powerful computer that scientists know of, and one of the mechanisms that enables this complexity is our ability to forget things – a phenomenon that can be mimicked in a material called samarium nickelate.
"The brain has limited capacity, and it can only function efficiently because it is able to forget," says one of the researchers, nanoscientist Subramanian Sankaranarayanan from the US Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratory (ANL).

wtf...

Only in 2017 I guess.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,766 posts

New graphene nano-ribbons lend sensors unprecedented sensitivity
October 20, 2017 by Scott Schrage

Pinning DNA-sized ribbons of carbon to a gas sensor can boost its sensitivity far better than any other known carbon material, says a new study from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...tivity.html#jCp

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,766 posts

Control of electrons in Graphene could lead to novel electronic devices
brian wang | October 24, 2017 |
Save

Scientists at Rutgers University-New Brunswick have learned how to tame the unruly electrons in graphene, paving the way for the ultra-fast transport of electrons with low loss of energy in novel systems.

Above – A sharp tip creates a force field that can trap electrons in graphene or modify their trajectories, similar to the effect a lens has on light rays. Yuhang Jiang/Rutgers University-New Brunswick

“This shows we can electrically control the electrons in graphene,” said Eva Y. Andrei, Board of Governors professor in Rutgers’ Department of Physics and Astronomy in the School of Arts and Sciences and the study’s senior author. “In the past, we couldn’t do it. This is the reason people thought that one could not make devices like transistors that require switching with graphene, because their electrons run wild.”

https://www.nextbigf...ic-devices.html

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,766 posts

New research could revolutionise the future of electronic devices
November 28, 2017

Research led by the Universities of St Andrews and Tokyo reveals a new understanding on how to create topological electronic states in solids which could fuel the development of improved materials for fast and energy-efficient electronic devices. The findings could lead to new types of computer chips that could be much more powerful than those found in today's computers and smart phones.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...evices.html#jCp

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Uranium Breakthrough May Pave the Way for Entirely New Materials

IN BRIEF
Uranium has largely been relegated to nuclear energy and weapons development, but researchers from the University of Manchester think it could do so much more. The scientists discovered that it's capable of new unprecedented reactions.
AN UNEXPECTED FIND
Researchers working at the University of Manchester in the U.K. have discovered that uranium can perform reactions that can offer novel solutions to today’s energy and waste problems, as well as possibilities in drug development. The team, led by professor Steve Liddle, head of Inorganic Chemistry at Manchester, detailed their breakthrough discovery in the journal Nature Communications.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,766 posts

Chemists synthesize narrow ribbons of graphene using only light and heat
December 8, 2017 by Katherine Kornei

Silicon—the shiny, brittle metal commonly used to make semiconductors—is an essential ingredient of modern-day electronics. But as electronic devices have become smaller and smaller, creating tiny silicon components that fit inside them has become more challenging and more expensive.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...aphene.html#jCp

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,766 posts

New type of smart windows use liquid to switch from clear to reflective
December 13, 2017

Researchers have demonstrated prototype windows that switch from reflective to clear with the simple addition of a liquid. The new switchable windows are easy to manufacture and could one day keep parked cars cool in the sun or make office buildings more energy efficient. The technology can also be used to make roof panels that keep houses cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Although glass that uses an applied voltage to switch from clear to an opaque or tinted state is commercially available, its high cost— around $100 per square foot—has hindered widespread use.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...liquid.html#jCp

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nanotechnology, nano, microtechnology, micro, material science, metamaterials, graphene, atomic engineering, molecular manufacturing, nanobots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users