Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

2020 US Presidential Election

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

This is what the future looks like based on the election results by the 18-25 year old voting block.

I guess the future isn't so dark as we believe or fear.

Cw0WxbZUoAA0tXo.jpg

• Casey, Yuli Ban and Infinite like this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Yes, but how large of a bloc is the 18-25 demographic, also how does that demographic group from 2008 compare to the 25-35 demographic of now.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Ron Perlman has announced his presidential candidacy for 2020

10 November 2016

At last… a candidate that we can all get behind.

‘Sons of Anarchy’ and ‘Hellboy’ don Ron Perlman has, via his Facebook page, announced his candidacy for the 2020 presidential election.

Posting the announcement, and with a hand over his heart, he added: “My slogan will be, ‘Make America Great Again, Again’ so… hold onto your hats!”

https://uk.yahoo.com...-122517257.html

• eacao likes this
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

This is what the future looks like based on the election results by the 18-25 year old voting block.

I guess the future isn't so dark as we believe or fear.

Cw0WxbZUoAA0tXo.jpg

Except people change opinions as they get older this is well documented. I would've been a Democrat 5-10 years ago now I am becoming a solid conservative. 

• eacao and PhoenixRu like this

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationUK

Sanders doesn't rule out 2020 White House run

WASHINGTON

Bernie Sanders is leaving open the possibility of another presidential bid as shell-shocked liberals focus on helping the Democratic Party rebuild after Donald Trump's victory.

"Four years is a long time from now," said the 75-year-old Vermont independent, noting that he faces re-election to the Senate in 2018. But he added: "We'll take one thing at a time, but I'm not ruling out anything."

• Casey and Infinite like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

Well, a friend and I were recently discussing grouchy class conscious warriors.  Later, I came upon this tid-bit found in the alternative media.

Michael Moore Has Some Good Ideas About Who Should Be the Next Democratic Presidential Nominee

http://www.alternet....ic-presidential

Excerpt:

I’m hearing a lot of, Michelle Obama, 2020."

“Well, that’s a good idea,” Moore responded. “Can we say you thought of it first?”

Moore noted that misogyny and sexism had played a role in the election, and that Trump had fanned the flames of both. But he also pointed to the need for more compelling candidates.

“Democrats need to start running people who are inspiring. The Republicans, they run Ronald Reagan. They run Schwarzenegger. Why aren’t we running Tom Hanks or Oprah? I don’t say that as a joke. Why don’t we run people that are beloved by the American people?”

screen_shot_2016-11-11_at_4.27.04_am.png

Michael Moore

Photo Credit: YouTube / CNN

• Zaphod likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationUK

Everyone keeps saying Michelle Obama. Seriously? Why is everyone so obsessed with the idea of electing children/spouses/siblings of former presidents? From an outsiders point of view, it looks like the USA has the population of a small village and not 320 million.

• eacao, Casey, Yuli Ban and 3 others like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

Rats, was hoping you would not notice that.  Oh well.   :mole:

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Dammit, Moore, no. 

Michelle Obama is not going to inspire confidence in anyone, and it sounds like the Dumbocrats would just attempt— again— to run a legacy candidate. The GOP tried that shit, but the Democrats promoted Trump, so Jeb! lost. 

We just got out of a cycle of "Clinton vs. Bush? What year is it?!" And before that, it was the Kennedys. This past election should be proving to us right now that electing the relative/spouse of a former president is a Big. Fat. No-No.

But who am I kidding? The Dumbocan'ts are just gonna snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again in 2018 and 2020 and proceed to not learn a damn thing because learning doesn't benefit their Wall Street donors.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

How about Oprah?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I know you're joking, but at this point, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Oprah ran for president. I think Trump sounded the starting whistle that any major celebrity could potentially run for and win the presidency. Reagan sounded sorta like that whistle, but the truth was that he was involved in politics before 1980. Trump has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Not before this year. 

Yet, in all seriousness, that just reduces the title of presidency to that of a joke, and not even one of those ironic hipster ones either.

If the Dumbocrats won't learn their lesson— and I'm sure they won't— and nominate someone in the vein of Sanders, there's no hope.

Because let me tell you, they blew it.

Sanders was truly the perfect candidate, who came at the right time. He has what other 'progressive champions' won't— an actual record. He has a whole 50+ year history of being a champion of progressive issues, and can prove he was always "On Our Side." You can find pictures of him from the Civil Rights era, pictures that aren't photoshopped and don't need any more explanation. Actions speak louder than words, which is why no one was buying Hillary "Goldwater Girl" Clinton's shit.

Warren doesn't have anywhere near the same record. Very few do. Tulsi doesn't, I know that much.

In 2020, Sanders will be pushing 80 years old. Even if he wanted to run for presidency again, he shouldn't. The presidency butchers one's health, and this is most true for the oldest presidents. Even Trump, if he actually goes through his whole 4 years, will start looking frail and ill by the end of it. His political career was either going to hit its peak or finally begin its twilight fade come November 8th, 2016, and the DNC decided that it's time to fade. I really will miss him when he goes, kinda like how I miss Lemmy and Wilder. 

So the fact is, the DNC blew it. I don't know who they'll put up in 2020. I'd hope they'll put up someone who grew from the roots, not someone their corporate board-room donors handpicked, but I'm not that idealistic anymore.

Maybe it'll be Oprah. That would finally, totally delegitimize the office of presidency by proving Trump wasn't a fluke and we really would trust an utterly inexperienced entertainer with our nuclear launch codes and geopolitical relationships, all because they have the most followers on social media. But at the same time, how tired are we of the same old politicians? 

Yeah, I'm just gonna wait for December 4th.

• As We Rise likes this

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

Dammit, Moore, no. 

Michelle Obama is not going to inspire confidence in anyone, and it sounds like the Dumbocrats would just attempt— again— to run a legacy candidate. The GOP tried that shit, but the Democrats promoted Trump, so Jeb! lost. 

We just got out of a cycle of "Clinton vs. Bush? What year is it?!" And before that, it was the Kennedys. This past election should be proving to us right now that electing the relative/spouse of a former president is a Big. Fat. No-No.

But who am I kidding? The Dumbocan'ts are just gonna snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again in 2018 and 2020 and proceed to not learn a damn thing because learning doesn't benefit their Wall Street donors.

did you even read it?

he said that she wasn't the way to go. to stop that kind of thing and give the people somebody who is popular with them.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Sanders named to Senate leadership post

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) is joining the ranks of Senate Democratic leadership next year. 

Sanders was named chairman of outreach during a closed-door Senate Democratic caucus meeting Wednesday morning.

In the role, Sanders will be in charge of reaching out to blue-collar voters who flocked to President-elect Donald Trump this year. 

Sanders told reporters that he has a "heavy responsibility to help shape the priorities of the United States government."

"I'm going to do everything that I can to make sure that the budget that leaves the United States Congress is a budget that represents the needs of working families and a shrinking middle class and not billionaires," he said.

Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) said Sanders was brought into the leadership to better represent the different factions of the Democratic caucus in decision-making.

"We want to expand on that, and he will be reaching out to all our allies," she told reporters. "We have a tremendous amount of talent in our caucus and we want to make sure everyone is contributing."

Sanders, however, will not have a top-ranking position in the leadership.

Incoming Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) installed Stabenow as chairwoman of the Democratic Policy and Communications Center (DPCC) — the job Schumer held in the 114th Congress as the third-ranking member of leadership. The DPCC chairman has traditionally been in charge of coordinating the floor and messaging strategies.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

Kaine Rules Out Run for President in 2020

http://thehill.com/h...dent-vp-in-2020

Extract:

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) says he won’t mount a run for president or vice president in 2020.

Kaine told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that his “highest and best use” is serving in the Senate and wants to serve there for a “long time.”  

…The Virginia Democrat, who is up for reelection in 2018, ran for vice president on the Democratic ticket with Clinton, who was defeated by Donald Trump last week.

As Democrats look to their bench for the next presidential election, early speculation had centered on Kaine as a possible contender, given the national name recognition he gained during his vice presidential run.

But Kaine, instead, is ramping up his reelection campaign for the Senate, where Democrats face a daunting map next cycle as they defend 25 seats. Many of those seats are in ruby red states and Rust Belt states that Trump carried this year.

kainetim_getty.jpg?itok=7MFkemSo

© Getty Images

• Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Sanders Draws Massive Crowds as Progressives Prepare to Fight Trump

The election of a right-wing, repressive government led by President-elect Donald Trump and a Republican-dominated Congress has the American left searching for ways to mount a resistance and regain ground in future elections.
Many have found an answer in progressive figures such as Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), it seems, as crowds of young people are once again gathering to hear the senator speak.
The senator has spoken out multiple times in the days since Trump's election, arguing that the Democratic party needs to make greater efforts to reach working-class people and overhaul its leadership; vowing that progressives will "not go silently into the night"; and promising to resist Trump's repressive, right-wing policy plans.
The Democratic Party, which spurned Sanders' campaign during the primary, has elevatedthe senator to a leadership position within the party.
When news emerged that Sanders would speak at a book signing in Baltimore, Maryland, on Thursday, students at Johns Hopkins University waited in line for as long as six hours to hear the senator speak.
"This is definitely the most interest we've received in years," said Teddy Kupfer, a Hopkins senior and lecture organizer, to the Baltimore Sun.

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Damn Trump's already leading a repressive government...... just imagine what it will be like when he's actually in office.

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Damn Trump's already leading a repressive government...... just imagine what it will be like when he's actually in office.

Yep, you are so correct. He is already leading a repressive government even before he is in power. You are so correct. Give me 1 example of Trump being repressive?

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Camacho 2020!

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

It would seem that the list of possible 2020 contenders is getting worse instead of better.

Who Will Lead the Anti-Trump Resistance?

https://ourfuture.or...rump-resistance

Extract:

Democrats like New York Governor Andrew Cuomo are already positioning themselves to lead the coming anti-Trump backlash. In a speech, Facebook post, and a New York Daily Newsop-ed, Cuomo condemned racism and bigotry and listed some laudable actions the state will be taking against hate.

These are welcome moves. Cuomo even showed glimmers of his late father Mario’s eloquence in announcing them. But Cuomo hasn’t placed the blame for the recent surge in hatred where it belongs: on Donald Trump’s demagoguery. Instead he has waffled on Trump, who has been a generous donor to Cuomo’s campaigns in years past.

And while Cuomo touched on economic issues, that part of his speech was notably lacking in specifics. But then, Cuomo’s own economic record is mixed. He signed a statewide minimum wage increase but fought Mayor Bill De Blasio’s attempts to raise it in New York City, and aided big-money interests pushing privately-run charter schools there.

…Sen. Cory Booker is also being touted as a contender for the 2020 nomination. Booker famously attacked Barack Obama in 2012 for criticizing Bain Capital, which was founded by Obama opponent Mitt Romney and generously contributed to Booker’s mayoral run. Booker described Obama’s criticisms of the predatory investment firm as “nauseating” and added, “Stop attacking private equity.”

Securities & investment firms gave $1.88 million to Booker’s 2014 Senate campaign, and the financial industry was also generous toward his Newark mayoral campaign. Other major Booker sources include law firms and real estate.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Sanders Draws Massive Crowds as Progressives Prepare to Fight Trump

The election of a right-wing, repressive government led by President-elect Donald Trump and a Republican-dominated Congress has the American left searching for ways to mount a resistance and regain ground in future elections.
Many have found an answer in progressive figures such as Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), it seems, as crowds of young people are once again gathering to hear the senator speak.
The senator has spoken out multiple times in the days since Trump's election, arguing that the Democratic party needs to make greater efforts to reach working-class people and overhaul its leadership; vowing that progressives will "not go silently into the night"; and promising to resist Trump's repressive, right-wing policy plans.
The Democratic Party, which spurned Sanders' campaign during the primary, has elevatedthe senator to a leadership position within the party.
When news emerged that Sanders would speak at a book signing in Baltimore, Maryland, on Thursday, students at Johns Hopkins University waited in line for as long as six hours to hear the senator speak.
"This is definitely the most interest we've received in years," said Teddy Kupfer, a Hopkins senior and lecture organizer, to the Baltimore Sun.

It feels like the election isn't over yet. You can bet more people will still vote for Sanders than Trump if given another chance. It's too bad the Democratic Party failed to realize it during the primaries.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users