Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

2020 US Presidential Election

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Sanders doesn't rule out 2020 White House run

WASHINGTON

Bernie Sanders is leaving open the possibility of another presidential bid as shell-shocked liberals focus on helping the Democratic Party rebuild after Donald Trump's victory.

"Four years is a long time from now," said the 75-year-old Vermont independent, noting that he faces re-election to the Senate in 2018. But he added: "We'll take one thing at a time, but I'm not ruling out anything."

It's not too much of a stretch if we are to consider the imminent anti-aging therapies coming to the market. In this age, or at least in the very near future, being 80 years old will be the new 70 or even 60 for a lot of people.

• Casey, Futurist and Erowind like this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

future-me

future-me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Bernie should have ran as an independent or Social Democrat or Green Alliance or something. Give America a reasonable third choice. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

Biden Teases 2020 White House 

http://www.upi.com/T...1/?spt=hts&or=4

Introduction:

WASHINGTON, Dec. 6 (UPI) -- Vice President Joe Biden came to the Capitol to preside over the Senate's vote on the 21st Century Cures Act, which passed overwhelmingly, and then told reporters he wouldn't rule out a run for president in 2020.

In voting to approve the legislation -- which includes funding for Biden's Cancer Moonshot -- the Senate honored Biden's service there and renamed the moonshot section of the bill for Beau Biden, who died of cancer last year. After the emotional dedication and vote, Biden was asked about his future plans and whether he'd run for office again.

"Yeah, I am. I am going to run in 2020," adding when pressed that he'd run "for president. And also, what the hell man, anyway."

When reporters asked again, and mentioned they'd be publishing the remarks, Biden said, "I'm just, I'm not committing not to run. I'm not committing to anything. I learned a long time ago, fate has a strange way of intervening."

Biden, who turned 74 last month, and will be 77 on election day in 2020, ran for the Democratic nomination for president in 1988, as well as in 2008 when President Barack Obama won the nomination and picked him as his running mate.

Biden-teases-2020-White-House-run-after-

Vice President Joe Biden, pictured discussing the Cancer Moonshot Report in the Oval Office in October, told reporters Monday, after the Senate approved a bill funding the effort, that there was a chance he'll run for president in 2020. 

http://Pool photo by...| License Photo

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

So if I run for 2020, what should I call my party? The transhumanist platform this last time was a mess; and came off more as a marketing gimmick. Techno-progressive looked good, but it seems too tangled in political progressive concepts (progressive politics is more politics than progress, just like a food budget is more about money than nutrition) and not enough about a non-partisan futurist approach to moving humanity into the next age. and the techno- aspect is great, as tech  is a major factor in our way forward, but it misses out sustainability and eco-consciousness.

I'm thinking I'll have to coin a whole new party and establish it's platform, etc.

To be clear, I've no expectation of winning, but as a means of getting unmentioned ideas out there and discussed, and drawing up achievable plans to bring about improvements in the course we are on... so that the people who do win can steal the ideas for their own plans...

I've got some time to work it out.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

Poll: 62 percent of Democrats and independents don't want Clinton to run again

12/21/16 03:36 PM EST

A majority of Democratic and independent voters made clear that they don’t foresee Hillary Clinton in their 2020 vision of the presidential election, according to a USA Today/Suffolk University poll released Wednesday.

Sixty-two percent of Democrats and independents surveyed said the twice-failed presidential candidate shouldn’t mount another campaign in 2020, and only 23 percent would be excited by her campaign if she did.

The two people they would most like to see are two of the most prominent Democratic-aligned politicians unlikely to seek the White House in 2020: Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and Vice President Joe Biden. Forty-four percent and 43 percent of those voters, respectively, said they would be excited to see Sanders and Biden run.

Sanders challenged Clinton for the Democratic nomination, but it’s unlikely that the 75-year-old independent senator would mount another White House bid. However, he has said he plans to run for reelection to his Senate seat in 2018.

Biden, 74, repeatedly teased a possible 2020 White House run earlier this month but ultimately conceded he has “no plans” to run but will “stay deeply, deeply involved” in Democratic politics.

http://www.politico....ton-2020-232898

• eacao, Yuli Ban and Maximus like this

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • LocationCanada

A majority of Democratic and independent voters made clear that they don’t foresee Hillary Clinton in their 2020 vision of the presidential election, according to a USA Today/Suffolk University poll released Wednesday.

Sixty-two percent of Democrats and independents surveyed said the twice-failed presidential candidate shouldn’t mount another campaign in 2020, and only 23 percent would be excited by her campaign if she did.

Christ on a bike, I really hope the Democrats aren't even considering this. That would be a whole new level of being disconnected from reality.

• Zaphod, Yuli Ban and caltrek like this
If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. -Peter Ustinov

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

It's interesting how Hillary has basically disappeared from public view since the election result, while Sanders continues to be highly vocal on TV and social media in highlighting the struggles and injustices faced by the American people. That tells you who's genuine, and who's only in it for themselves.

• illykitty, Zaphod, Casey and 4 others like this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,239 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Christ on a bike, I really hope the Democrats aren't even considering this. That would be a whole new level of being disconnected from reality.

I hope Clinton runs again in 2020! That way the Democrats will loose any semblance of credibility.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

Van Jones urges Democrats to snap out of centrist trance: “The Clinton days are over”

Tuesday, Jan 3, 2017

CNN commentator Van Jones — guesting on “State of the Union” on Sunday — channeled many on the left in denouncing “the Clinton days” of the Democratic Party, which he said were characterized by centrism and unabashed corporatism.

“You have to understand, I think, that the Clinton days are over,” Jones told host Jake Tapper. “This idea that we’re gonna be this moderate party that’s gonna move in this direction, that’s gonna throw blacks under the bus for criminal justice reform or for prison expansion, that’s gonna throw workers under the bus for NAFTA. Those days are over.”

“You can’t run and hide.  You’ve got to be an authentic person from the beginning.  You’re going to be judged based on your authentic commitment to the actual base of this party.  And if you don’t do that, you can’t win.”

Jones said Hillary Clinton misread the room when she chose Tim Kaine as her running mate instead of someone from the “progressive wing” of the party, “which made it much harder to heal those wounds with the [Bernie] Sanders and Elizabeth Warren wing.”

http://www.salon.com...-days-are-over/

Screen-Shot-2017-01-03-at-12.34.35-PM-62

• Zaphod and Yuli Ban like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

Is Mark Zuckerberg Eyeing the White House?

Billionaire Facebook founder may follow in Trump's footsteps in running for office without prior political experience.

By Anthony Cuthbertson On 1/4/17 at 3:29 PM

Donald Trump may be the first U.S. president with no prior political or military experience, but clues from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg suggest he might not be the last.

Zuckerberg has regularly publicized his New Year’s resolutions in recent years—learning Mandarin, running 365 miles, reading 25 books—and 2017’s involves doing a tour of the U.S. with the stated aim of making “the most positive impact as the world enters an important new period.”

The 32-year-old billionaire hopes by the end of the year to have visited and met people in every U.S. state. The pledge comes after court documents revealed that Zuckerberg has made provisions to keep control of Facebook if he works for the government, leading to speculation that he plans to someday run for president.

To run for president in the United States, a candidate must be at least 35 years old, meaning Zuckerberg is still three years short of even being eligible. However, unless President-elect Donald Trump is impeached, assassinated, or otherwise leaves office, Zuckerberg will be old enough to run in the next presidential elections in November 2020.

http://europe.newswe...te-house-538386

• Maximus likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

However, unless President-elect Donald Trump is impeached, assassinated, or otherwise leaves office, Zuckerberg will be old enough to run in the next presidential elections in November 2020.

Ummm....actually Zucerkerg would be "old enough to run" in 2020 even if Trump is "impeached, assassinated, or otherwise leaves office."  

If Trumps stops being president before the 2020 election, Vice-President Pence becomes president, with further lines of succession laid out in the Constitution should Pence similarly fail be able to occupy the office.  

As for Zuckerberg as a potential candidate....the more the merrier.  

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

Democrat Senator Positioning for 2020 Presidential Race Helps to Thwart Plan That Would Have Cut Drug Prices for Americans

https://ourfuture.org/20170117/booker-other-big-pharma-dems-have-no-excuse-this-vote-proves-it

Extract:

It’s devastating, and potentially lethal, when Americans can’t afford life-saving drugs because their elected representatives are in thrall to Big Pharma. It’s disappointing when Democrats offer implausible excuses for their votes, as Senator Cory Booker and twelve other senators did last week.

And it’s downright outrageous when those same Democrats claim their votes were driven by drug safety concerns, since all twelve voted to lower drug safety standards when they supported the 21st Century Cures Act.

If Booker and the others hadn’t broken with their party and ignored the needs of the American people, a budget amendment from Sens. Bernie Sanders and Amy Klobuchar would have paved the way for the importation of prescription drugs from Canada, where they cost far less than they do in the United States.

…Democrats who voted against the Sanders/Klobuchar amendment included some of biggest recipients of pharma cash on their side of the aisle. Booker tops that list with $267,338. Sen. Patty Murray was close behind with $254,649, while Robert Casey received $250,730 and Michael Bennet netted $222,000.

Booker deserves special attention, since he appears to be positioning himself for a 2020 presidential run. Booker received nearly two million dollars from Wall Street for his 2014 Senate race. The financial industry also heavily backed his Newark mayoral campaign, and he has received large sums from law firms and real estate. When Barack Obama took a rhetorical jab against opponent Mitt Romney’s investment firm, Booker rabbit-punched him from the right by calling his remarks “nauseating.”

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Just typical hypocrisy from the Democrats on a whole range of issues be it trade, drug prices, or privacy laws where they claim to stand for one thing and then do the opposite when in power. God forbid any of these Democrats face Trump in 2020 he will eviscerate them in the same way he did Clinton with her flip flops.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Just typical hypocrisy from the Democrats on a whole range of issues be it trade, drug prices, or privacy laws where they claim to stand for one thing and then do the opposite when in power. God forbid any of these Democrats face Trump in 2020 he will eviscerate them in the same way he did Clinton with her flip flops.

That wholly depends on how Trump performs in the next four years. It can easily go either way - a resounding, final defeat of the GOP in 2020, or Trump's mandate turns out exactly what majority of Americans want.

Ironically, the medical and technological advances that will occur in the next few years, partially due to GOP's planned deregulation, will probably make the Democratic platform for subsided healthcare and basic income more feasible. There is still a probable chance people will give the Democrats another chance because technological unemployment will become all the more apparent during Trump's administration due to his demand that US companies start relocating assets back into America where the cost of hiring employees are prohibitive in many instances.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I had a thought earlier, and it turns out several others have had the same thoughts. 

So Bernie Sanders is not going to make it in 2020. I feel that's a given at this point. The man's going to be 79 in 2020 and 80 in 2021. Trump himself is getting up there, clocking in at 70 years old. He's actually the oldest person ever elected POTUS. 
We're a bit weary of the '40s because they seem a bit too young to have enough experience. We're also a bit too weary of the '70s because they're bordering on senile and the upper end of the life expectancy. Somewhere between 55-65 is preferred. And lo and behold, there is someone coming out of the woodwork who is in (the lattermost end of) that range. He keeps saying that he's not running for president, but I think he'll change his mind. And you know what? I don't even care that he's a billionaire. 
I don't care that Donald Trump is a billionaire at all— I care about the kind of billionaire he is. Of course the degenerate-minded will only hear that I am suspicious of his wealthy background and think I am a pinko, because they can't fathom more than one truth at a time.

Now that Trump has opened the floodgates, it feels like literally anybody can run for president. The idea of Kanye West being president is no longer beyond imagination. Same thing with Kim Kardashian. But if there's one person I could actually get behind, someone who's a leader in sci-tech and American...

q8TBWTm.png

"Hold on, Yuli— that's way too close. Gates should crush Trump ten times over!"

1) Cite your evidence. There's no telling how popular Trump will or will not be by November 2020. He could be Reagan circa '84, or he could be Hoover circa '32. I've been saying it's more than likely he's going to be the latter, but seriously, who knows?

2) I still just can't see anyone matching the sheer youth enthusiasm Sanders brought. Sanders had an actual history; if you weren't sure of his words, look at his actions. That's what I've been judging Clinton and Trump on, and is one reason why I laugh in the faces of Clintonoids and Trumpettes who keep trying to convince me their candidate/president is the best based on their words. A lot of Millennials liked Sanders because of his actions, his history, with his current words actually hitting home because he had the actions to back them up. Trump doesn't have that; a decade ago, he was a Democrat. Clinton sure as hell doesn't have anything like that; 5 years ago, she was against gay marriage and LGBT rights. Gates has a lot of action behind him, but a lot of it is suspicious. His charity group has done a lot of good, but some older types still remember how ruthless he was in the '90s. They may try to smear him with those actions. And it could work, because you know the saying— Leftists Fall In Love, Rightists Fall In Line. It doesn't take much to disillusion a leftie. 

3) Gates is an atheist. Enough said. That alone could bring out record numbers of the evangelical vote.

It's tough to call whether or not Trump will be a success or a failure. I was sure that he would at least break the 50% popularity mark again by legalizing marijuana in 2019, but the recent statements by the White House suggest that's a fleeting dream. Which should've been expected considering who Jeff "I Thought The KKK Were Alright Until I Found Out They Smoke Weed" Sessions is. Trump isn't an autocrat; he has an administration, and his administration is packed to the brim with conservative authoritarians. Gates might prove to be more libertarian than most expect, considering he's a child of Silicon Valley. And by 2020, that may be a problem.

• Zaphod, nomad, Maximus and 1 other like this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

most of the lefties I know hate gates. Some because he's a strong advocate for vaccination of every child, some because he is a strong supporter of nuclear power, most because he built a fortune on a monopoly that took way too long to slap with legal consequences for intentionally destroying competition. Bill Gates, as the face of Windows (which many apple users consider theft from apples OS, which if they were honest or knowledgeable they would admit that apple took it from xerox because xerox abandoned the project), is seen just under Monsanto in villianistic megacorporate entities.

it's too bad more of the members of the forum are not of an age where they would be able to run. I think the more sane and futuristic visions that don't resort to baiting the public with non-legitimate topics like abortion, gay marriage etc the better to direct that thought processes of the nation in a direction of looking toward sustainable scientific and technological advancement.

• nomad likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

most of the lefties I know hate gates. Some because he's a strong advocate for vaccination of every child, some because he is a strong supporter of nuclear power, most because he built a fortune on a monopoly that took way too long to slap with legal consequences for intentionally destroying competition. Bill Gates, as the face of Windows (which many apple users consider theft from apples OS, which if they were honest or knowledgeable they would admit that apple took it from xerox because xerox abandoned the project), is seen just under Monsanto in villianistic megacorporate entities.

it's too bad more of the members of the forum are not of an age where they would be able to run. I think the more sane and futuristic visions that don't resort to baiting the public with non-legitimate topics like abortion, gay marriage etc the better to direct that thought processes of the nation in a direction of looking toward sustainable scientific and technological advancement.

Many fans of Nintendo (myself included) still feel bitter over his company's snagging of a Rare from Nintendo.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Oprah Winfrey considers 2020 Presidential run in wake of Donald Trump's win

Oprah Winfrey is not ruling out running for president in the wake of Donald Trump's shock victory. 
The talk show host, who endorsed Hillary Clinton’s campaign, hinted at throwing her hat into the ring.
Winfrey said Mr Trump’s election had made her re-evaluate her previous scepticism about running for President.
"I never considered the question even a possibility," she told David Rubenstein on his Bloomberg Television programme when pressed about whether she might consider running.
"I just thought, 'Oh… oh?'"
Referring to Mr Trump, Mr Rubenstein said: "It's clear you don't need government experience to be elected president of the United States".
"That's what I thought," she continued. "I thought, 'Oh, gee, I don't have the experience, I don't know enough.' And now I'm thinking, 'Oh.'"

She says she's not seriously considering it. But I deal in facts: if she keeps up this rhetoric, I'll be disappointed.

Is this what we've been reduced to? I was already tired of clearly corporate politicians using the White House as a revolving door for the highest bidder. Now we have to deal with an age where Breitbart, E!, and Buzzfeed determine our presidents? 

I wanna write a dystopian novelette about this. A society not as far gone as Idiocracy but definitely suffering from moral degeneracy and severe anti-intellectualism. Perpetually living under government surveillance, high on entertainment, living somewhat comfortably and eating pure grease and sugar while the military bombs low-income countries that can't reasonably fight back, resorting to using low-brow jokes and hastags as a means of political discourse (which isn't useless but it's become so due to so many people figuring that's all they need to do), and with a presidential election looming where the two candidates are both entertainers with absolutely no civic leadership experience. Maybe reality TV stars, maybe pop musicians, maybe social media celebrities...

I'll call it "2024".

• Maximus likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Hillary Clinton Is Running Again

Hillary Clinton Not Yet Ruling Out 2020 Run

T1I6n3H.gif

make-14.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users