Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

AlphaGo returns even stronger to defeat the world's best Go players 50-0 online

Correction: AlphaGo's score is 60-0, as mentioned below.

Platean

Playing under the pseudonym of Master, AlphaGo won 60-0 against professional opponents in online blitz matches. Nearly all of its opponents were top professionals, including world champion, Ke Jie, who AlphaGo beat 3-0. Here is analysis of the first game they played together, done by a extremely strong go player, ranked 6 dan.
Here is a link to the first 41 games it played, and here is a link to the last 30. (There is an overlap of 11 games).

• Casey and sasuke2490 like this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Are we actually at the point of no return where it is now impossible to defeat AlphaGo in this game forever, at least without any way to augment ourselves intellectually?

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The crazy part is: AlphaGo very likely wasn't running at its limits. If Google put all their resources behind AlphaGo,

Holy

Shit

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

The crazy part is: AlphaGo very likely wasn't running at its limits. If Google put all their resources behind AlphaGo,

Holy

Shit

It will take another AI to defeat AlphaGo at this point. It's now squarely in the domain of the Gods.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

This election this November proved to me that AI will be superior simply because of human idiocy caused by either by our "iq" limits or inability to consider facts. Robots ran by AI won't have either of these limits and should rule over us in the future. Govern us for our own good.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

After 60 wins and 0 losses over 7 days, Google unmasks mysterious player of Go "Master" as being an improved version of the AlphaGo AI

A mysterious character named “Master” has swept through China, defeating many of the world’s top players in the ancient strategy game of Go.
Master played with inhuman speed, barely pausing to think. With a wide-eyed cartoon fox as an avatar, Master made moves that seemed foolish but inevitably led to victory this week over the world’s reigning Go champion, Ke Jie of China.
It was clear by then that Master must be a computer. But whose computer?
Master revealed itself Wednesday as an updated version of AlphaGo, an artificial-intelligence program designed by the DeepMind unit ofAlphabet Inc. ’s Google.
AlphaGo made history in March by beating South Korea’s top Go player in four of five games in Seoul. Now, under the guise of a friendly fox, it has defeated the world champion.
It was dramatic theater, and the latest sign that artificial intelligence is peerless in solving complex but defined problems. AI scientists predict computers will increasingly be able to search through thickets of alternatives to find patterns and solutions that elude the human mind.
Master’s arrival has shaken China’s human Go players, who say it upended thousands of years of the game’s strategic wisdom.
“After humanity spent thousands of years improving our tactics, computers tell us that humans are completely wrong,” Mr. Ke, 19, wrote on Chinese social media platform Weibo after his defeat. “I would go as far as to say not a single human has touched the edge of the truth of Go.”
Mr. Ke wrote online that he was told in advance that Master was AlphaGo but had agreed to keep it a secret until Google’s announcement. The games were played online against players in China, Japan and Korea.

What else have we been wrong about? What else will computers clearly see that we never will?

*looks starward*

tumblr_nisw93Otvn1sygr3qo1_1280.jpg

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I have a strong feeling not being able to conquer aging will be one of them.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

That article keeps getting deeper.

I can’t help but ask, one day many years later, when you find your previous awareness, cognition and choices are all wrong, will you keep going along the wrong path or reject yourself?

Could you throw yourself away in the face of irrefutable proof everything you stood for was either wrong, a lie, or the opposite of what you believed? It's not as simple as you think. Surely you've heard of the backfire effect— when evidence is presented that stands against your belief, you merely double down on them rather than consider what the evidence means. That's one reason why Creationists have gotten so extreme, actually— back in the day, there were actually far fewer people who seriously believed God created Earth 6,000 years ago in only 7 days and that all fossils were planted by Satan/Shaytan. But as secularism and scientism rapidly grew (along with other changes in society), fundamentalists refuted any and all evidence and began believing more totally the word of their respective holy book. Now, they'll even adopt completely contradictory beliefs— even beliefs that stand against the words of their own holy books— just to oppose the majority belief in the mainstream.

If either side were wrong, the other side would gloat and never let them live it down. That's one reason for being so doggedly attached to a belief. But on a deeper level, your beliefs are a part of who you are, and if something were to attack your beliefs, it might as well be attacking you, too.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

erenthia

Master made moves that seemed foolish but inevitably led to victory

And this, even more than making moves instantly, is how we know AlphaGo is more than a little bit better than humans. We are now entirely outclassed, not even able to see the point behind its decisions.

Jaredlong

Something makes me uncomfortable about computers working in ways humans can't understand.

mens_libertina

Lack of control is a very real fear when talking about powerful tools. Fire needs to be checked, lest we are all burned.

I agree wholeheartedly. What stunned me so much about AlphaGo back in March 2016 wasn't that it beat a human champion— that was a Stun Level of Over 9,000. It was that it beat a human using moves never before seen in the history of the game. That's a Stun Level of Over One Million.

And it's reflected here. It's just as Raklian said back then— we might as well be dealing with an alien. These wonderful people, these champions of an ancient game, are not merely experiencing the shock of being beaten by a computer, but are actually playing an ancient game against what amounts to the alien intelligence who created the game in the first place. 

And that's one year. One year of improvement over where it was in October 2015, when it beat the European champion. This machine is so unbelievably powerful that it's already beyond us. The greatest Go players of all time can't understand it, and even when they study its moves, they lack the brainpower to know when to use them. Sure, its area of superintelligence is narrow— AlphaGo can only play Go and would need to be extensively retrained to do anything else— but this should come as a taste of what we should expect in the coming years and decades. AlphaGo hasn't even reached the peak of its potential, as I said above. It's probably nowhere close to the peak. But despite that, it's still superior to all humans, and on a meaningful level.

The best analogy really is that of a fire that's growing faster than we know how to deal with. So fast, in fact, that the best word for it would be "explosion."

• Raklian likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The CEO of Google DeepMind is worried that tech giants won't work together at the time of the intelligence explosion

The head of Google DeepMind is worried that technology companies and individuals will fail to co-ordinate on the development of artificial superintelligence — defined by Oxford philosopher Nick Bostrom as "an intellect that is much smarter than the best human brains in practically every field, including scientific creativity, general wisdom and social skills."
DeepMind CEO Demis Hassabis, whose company is arguably at the front of the race to develop human-level artificial intelligence (AI), said at The Future of Life's Beneficial AI conference in January that he wants (and expects) superintelligence to be created.
But it's important that technology companies and individuals are open and transparent about their AI research, according to Hassabis.
When superintelligence is close to being developed, the Cambridge graduate and chess grandmaster said that there might be a need for the leader of the AI race to "slow down ... at the end." This would give societies a chance to adapt to superintelligence gradually, while providing scientists with the opportunity to carry out further research that could mitigate the risks of developing harmful AI.
"The [AI] control problems and other issues; they're very difficult but I think we can solve them," said Hassabis on a panel with eight other AI leaders. "The problem is the co-ordination problem of making sure there is enough time to slow down at the end."
Hassabis went on to paint a picture of one AI group slowing down their AI development efforts to let experts think about the situation for five years or so while another group raced ahead.
"What about all the other teams that are reading the papers and are not going to do that [stop and think] while you’re thinking?" said Hassabis. "This is what I worry about quite a lot because it seems like that co-ordination problem is quite difficult."

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

We'll go from this -

2cdc8358014ab7284fb849012152480a_whole-h

To this basically overnight

cute-dog2.jpg

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

No, really, we won't.

I won't anyway. I'll get a neural lace and keep my job. You can suck up to a bunch of robots if you want, but I can't imagine why anyone would.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
We means the human species. Homo sapiens. What you are right now. Even your consciousness or your patterns are distinctly human with all the evolutionary baggage and the limitations. It is only logical that if you become enhanced you won't be Jakob the stupid Homo sapien but something more.
  • ddmkm122 and Nerd like this

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

No, really, we won't.

I won't anyway. I'll get a neural lace and keep my job. You can suck up to a bunch of robots if you want, but I can't imagine why anyone would.

You'll need a lot more than just a neural lace if you want to keep your job.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,244 posts

No, really, we won't.

You'll need a lot more than just a neural lace if you want to keep your job.

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. It is a start.

Spoiler

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Besides "job" won't be the same thing it is today. Not by a long shot. Jobs today are not the same as they were a century or two ago but that analogy is severely lacking considering the profound, transformative, and unprecedented change which we are precipitously on the cusp of.

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Google’s DeepMind pits AI against AI to see if they fight or cooperate
Unsurprisingly, they do both

In the future, it’s likely that many aspects of human society will be controlled — either partly or wholly — by artificial intelligence. AI computer agents could manage systems from the quotidian (e.g., traffic lights) to the complex (e.g., a nation’s whole economy), but leaving aside the problem of whether or not they can do their jobs well, there is another challenge: will these agents be able to play nice with one another? What happens if one AI’s aims conflict with another’s? Will they fight, or work together?
Google’s AI subsidiary DeepMind has been exploring this problem in a new study published today. The company’s researchers decided to test how AI agents interacted with one another in a series of “social dilemmas.” This is a rather generic term for situations in which individuals can profit from being selfish — but where everyone loses if everyone is selfish. The most famous example of this is the prisoner’s dilemma, where two individuals can choose to betray one another for a prize, but lose out if both choose this option.
As explained in a blog post from DeepMind, the company’s researchers tested how AI agents would perform in these sorts of situations, by dropping them into a pair of very basic video games.
In the first game, Gathering, two player have to collect apples from a central pile. They have the option of “tagging” the other player with a laser beam, temporarily removing them from the game, and giving the first player a chance to collect more apples.

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Google's New AI Has Learned to Become "Highly Aggressive" in Stressful Situations

DeepMind Reinvents War From Scratch Due To Scarcity

Late last year, famed physicist Stephen Hawking issued a warning that the continued advancement of artificial intelligence will either be "the best, or the worst thing, ever to happen to humanity".
We've all seen the Terminator movies, and the apocalyptic nightmare that the self-aware AI system, Skynet, wrought upon humanity, and now results from recent behaviour tests of Google's new DeepMind AI system are making it clear just how careful we need to be when building the robots of the future.
In tests late last year, Google's DeepMind AI system demonstrated an ability to learn independently from its own memory, and beat the world's best Go playersat their own game.
It's since been figuring out how to seamlessly mimic a human voice.
Now, researchers have been testing its willingness to cooperate with others, and have revealed that when DeepMind feels like it's about to lose, it opts for "highly aggressive" strategies to ensure that it comes out on top.

• Maximus and Jakob like this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,244 posts

LOL THERE YOU GO PEOPLE AIS HAVE FLAWS TOO THEY'RE NOT PERFECT MARY SUES JUST A NEW FORM OF BEING!!!

Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

LOL THERE YOU GO PEOPLE AIS HAVE FLAWS TOO THEY'RE NOT PERFECT MARY SUES JUST A NEW FORM OF BEING!!!

No one here is saying they're perfect, but I'll repeat what has been said before.

They don't have to be perfect. They just have to be better.

• ddmkm122 and Nerd like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DeepMind, deep learning, deep reinforcement learning, progressive neural network, artificial intelligence, AGI, differentiable neural, Google, RankBrain, artificial neural networks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users