Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

India Watch Thread

India

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Good news, it looks like the panic has blown over! 

The effort was still a catastrophe, but at least the country's not on the verge of breakdown.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Member of India's lowest caste expected to be elected president

A member of India’s poorest and most oppressed caste is expected to be elected president.
Ram Nath Kovind, the governor of Bihar until last month, was announced as the nominee of Narendra Modi’s government in June, in what was widely seen as part of a decades-long strategy by Hindu nationalists to win over members of the dalit(Untouchable) community.
Nearly 5,000 Indian state and federal members of parliament took part in a secret nationwide ballot on Monday to decide the next president using specially designed violet ink pens with unique serial numbers.
The five-year post has significant responsibility under India’s constitution, but similar to other Westminster-style governments, it is largely ceremonial in practice.

vVqfuLF.jpg
Ram Nath Kovind is presented with a garland of flowers at a welcoming ceremony in Ahmedabad, western India. Photograph: Amit Dave/Reuters

• TranscendingGod, Infinite and BasilBerylium like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

China says India building up troops amid border stand off

China's Foreign Ministry on Thursday said India has been building up troops and repairing roads along its side of the border amid an increasingly tense stand-off in a remote frontier region beside the Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan.
The stand-off on a plateau next to the mountainous Indian state of Sikkim, which borders China, has ratcheted up tension between the neighbors, who share a 3,500-km (2,175-mile) frontier, large parts of which are disputed.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

India’s Government Wants to Ban Self-Driving Cars to Save Jobs

“We won’t allow driverless cars in India,” said India’s minister of transport, Nitin Gadkari. “I am very clear on this. We won’t allow any technology that takes away jobs. In a country where you have unemployment, you can’t have a technology that ends up taking people’s jobs.”
In recent years India has seen a boom in the demand for drivers thanks to ride-sharing services like Ola and Uber that completed a combined 500 million rides last year. The country is currently facing an acute truck driver shortage causing an estimated 10% of its truck fleet sitting idle this year due to a lack of qualified drivers.
India’s government is keen to lower its unemployment rate and provide good paying jobs through the hiring of truck drivers and has plans to open one hundred driver training institutes across India in the coming years.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Death toll rises above 250 as eastern Indian state faces its worst flooding in decades, affecting 13 million people

Residents in the Indian state of Bihar are struggling to recover from the devastation caused by floods and landslides that have killed more than 250 people, destroyed crops and swept away houses and roads.
The eastern state, which was hit this month by heavy downpours that also wreaked havoc in other parts of South Asia, is facing its worst deluge since 2008, affecting nearly 13 million people spread across 20 of its 38 districts.
Ashish Ranjan, a resident of Araria district in the eastern part of the state, said the impact of the flood was massive.
"Thousands of people are living on the highway for more than a week now," Ranjan told Al Jazeera from Araria, where 57 people have died - the highest death toll in the state.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,216 posts

McDonald's to Close 169 Outlets in India in Franchise Battle

https://www.usatoday...ttle/589070001/

NEW DELHI — McDonald's India has announced it will close nearly 170 McDonald's outlets in northern and eastern India after the American fast food giant decided to terminate a franchise agreement with its Indian partner.

McDonald's said its partner Connaught Plaza Restaurants violated the terms of the franchise agreement, including reneging on payment of royalties.

Connaught Plaza Restaurants, which runs 169 McDonald's outlets in northern and eastern India, said Tuesday it is considering legal action in the long-drawn legal battle. In June, it shut 43 McDonald's outlets in the capital, New Delhi.

McDonald's said it is looking for a new partner to work with in north India. McDonald's franchises in southern and western India are run by a separate company.

1398348071001-ronald042414-002.jpg

Ronald McDonald' figure sits on a bench outside the newly opened, McDonald's first ever vegetarian-only restaurant near the Golden Temple (not pictured), the holiest of Sikh shrines in Amritsar, India, 12 April 2014.

Photo: Raminder Pal Singh, epa

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

I have to admit that I do not understand enough of the politics or current events in India to either endorse or offer informed counterpoints to the article linked below. It is also longer than the usual size.  So I will offer no further introduction except to say that it paints a rather disturbing picture of the India of today.

http://www.alternet....ulnerable-hindu

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

Disclaimer.  This story is provided by Al Jazeera.  I understand that many of you do not find this news source particularly trustworthy.  I have tentatively decided to include stories from that news source in the interest of balance, and not because I necessarily endorse  their ideology.

Ram Rahim Singh's Supporters Riot After Rape Conviction

http://www.aljazeera...5114911486.html

At least 14 people have been killed in Indian towns as violent protests erupted after a court convicted a self-styled "godman" of raping two female followers.

Friday's verdict angered thousands of Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh's supporters who said he was innocent.

Singh was found guilty in a case dating back to 2002 at the headquarters of his Dera Sacha Sauda group in the northern town of Sirsa.

Supporters rampaged in response, setting fire to government buildings, attacking railway stations, petrol stations and television vans in towns across the northern states of Punjab and Haryana, soon after the verdict was announced, witnesses said.

More than 15,000 Indian police and soldiers patrolled Panchkula, the town where the court gave its verdict on Singh, as local officials feared an outbreak of violence.

d36c65ec4cd8471b891429586d735373_18.jpg

Supporters went on a rampage in response to the guilty verdict

[AFP/Getty Images]

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

It is important to note that this is another news story from Al Jazeera.  One should recall that India is a predominantly Hindu country.  Also, even my introduction includes some rather graphic depictions of human suffering, so if such things upset you, perhaps you should consider not reading any further than the headline.

The Demons Within: India's Tryst With Torture

http://www.aljazeera...6073345639.html

Indian human rights defender Babloo Loitongbam, who witnessed numerous instances of torture by Manipur security forces over the years, says that he has a particularly vivid memory of one victim: Khuraijam Pranam Singh.

"His intestine was dangling out of his stomach. He was a young man and in a completely vegetative state," says Loitongbam. "That's the first impression of torture that still stays with me".

In July 2000, 23-year-old Pranam was picked up by Indian paramilitary forces in Manipur without any warning or explanation. He was never officially charged with a crime, but he was suspected of "supporting an armed group", so he was detained and tortured. Thanks to the courageous efforts of a handful of human rights defenders and lawyers, after over two weeks of torture, he was freed.

In India's northeastern state of Manipur, this incident isn't the first of its kind. Resistance against alleged Indian domination and territorial claims has given rise to nearly 30 active groups that aim to secede the state from India. Security forces in the region use this perceived threat to arrest, detain and torture alleged supporters of "the resistance" with impunity.

In October 2000, only two months after his arrest, Pranam attended a session held by the Independent Peoples' Inquiry Commission (IPIC) set up to inquire into human rights violations in Manipur. Barely able to walk, Pranam was determined to narrate to the commission how he was stripped, his hands and legs were tied together and his body was turned upside down. The then 23-year-old had been brutally tortured by the arresting party.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationRussia

I have to admit that I do not understand enough of the politics or current events in India to either endorse or offer informed counterpoints to the article linked below. It is also longer than the usual size.  So I will offer no further introduction except to say that it paints a rather disturbing picture of the India of today.

http://www.alternet....ulnerable-hindu

The current regime of Modi with its dominant ideology are moderate (sometimes not so moderate) nationalists, that's all i know... no idea is it good or bad, right or wrong, i too don't know enough about India to judge (and the main part of this knowledge should be the common people and their mindset).

• caltrek likes this

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

Point taken about "their mindset."  

bgates276

bgates276

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

If anyone is interested, a really good book is, A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry. Although it is fiction, he must have got his ideas from somewhere about the horrible living conditions and human rights abuses that go on for a lot of people in India, particularly the lower castes.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

^^^I have not read the book, but I thank you for the recommendation.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

Outspoken Indian Journalist Shot Dead

https://www.msn.com/...ID=ansmsnnews11

Introduction:

A prominent left-wing Indian journalist critical of Hindu nationalist politics has been shot dead in the south-western Karnataka state, police say.

Gauri Lankesh, 55, was found lying in a pool of blood outside her home in the city of Bangalore. The motive for the crime was not immediately clear.

She was shot in the head and chest by gunmen who arrived by motorcycle.

Journalists in India are being increasingly targeted by radical Hindu nationalists, activists say.

Gauri Lankesh, who edited a weekly newspaper, was known as a fearless and outspoken journalist.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

Indian Journalist’s Killing Provokes Outrage, Anguish

https://www.courthou...utrage-anguish/

Introduction:

NEW DELHI (AP) — The killing of an Indian journalist provoked outrage and anguish across the country on Wednesday, with thousands protesting what they saw as an effort to silence a critic of India’s ruling Hindu nationalist party.

Even as police promise to hunt down the assailants who gunned down Gauri Lankesh outside her Bangalore home Tuesday night, many said they feared the perpetrators of the attack — like so many others — would get away with impunity.

Spontaneous rallies erupted in cities and towns across India on Wednesday. Protesters demanded the government do more to protect free speech in the secular, South Asian democracy.

In the southern city of Bangalore, thousands gathered for a public vigil and viewing of Lankesh’s body at Town Hall.

Weeping, they filed slowly past her glass-covered coffin. Some carried placards that read “I am also Gauri.”

India-Murder.jpg?resize=512%2C367

Mourners stand next to a portrait of Indian journalist Gauri Lankesh during the public viewing of her body in Bangalore, India, Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017.

(AP Photo/Aijaz Rahi)

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

Gauri Lankesh: A 'fearless' Indian Journalist Silenced

http://www.aljazeera...6165113050.html

Introduction:

"The fact that she was so vocal made her (Gauri Lankesh) a prime target," Sudipto Mondal, a Bangalore-based journalist based in Bangalore, told Al Jazeera.

"And I suppose that goes for a lot of people over here, which is why there are fears that other people might be in the line." 

The news of Lankesh's killing was met with shock and outrage, with journalists, civil society members and students across the country sharply condemning the murder.

"Gauri Lankesh was a known critic of the central government on key issues and had fearlessly expressed her views in the newspaper she edited, as well as in other forums," the Editors Guild of India said in a statement.

"Her killing is an ominous portent for dissent in democracy and a brutal assault on the freedom of the press."

22841da5bef3401a8d92aebbce7686f0_18.jpg

People in several Indian cities held candlelights to pay tribute to the 55-year-old editor

[Sajjad Hussain/AFP/Getty Images]

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

Refugee Crisis in India for Muslim Myanmar Migrants

http://www.alternet....myanmar-muslims

Introduction:

The photo-op provided by India’s prime minister, strongman Narendra Modi, with the svelte Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi has more than its share of irony. The former is leading a supremacist right-wing government in India and spearheading a refugee policy that institutionalizes discrimination against Muslim migrants. The latter is facing worldwide reprobation for her treatment of the Rohingya refugees who, the Dhaka Tribune says, are “pouring into Bangladesh like water.”

The Indian prime minister is scheduled to hold wide-ranging talks with State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi. India has announced that it will “throw out” Rohingyas, and Myanmar, which boasts of its Nobel Peace laureate at the civil helm of affairs, is also pursuing targeted persecution of this minority. Though Yemen, Syria and Iraq have their share of the internally displaced, the plight of the Rohingyas has drawn the sharp and consistent criticism of the United Nations since 2015. Not one to be bashful or concerned, the Guardian reported that the government led by Aung San Suu Kyi will simply not allow U.N. reps to enter the country anymore. The U.N. report of Feburary this year must have severely embarassed, if that is possible, this regime.

Just the day before Modi and Kyi shook hands, a younger Nobel Peace prize winner, Malala Yousafzai—who battled the Taliban in her home country of Afghanistan and has become an icon of resistance—called on Myanmar’s leader to “stop the violence” in a statement issued on September 4. Malala Yousafzai is among the latest in a long line of human rights activists and officials to publicly criticize Aung San Suu Kyi, Myanmar’s effective leader, for the treatment of the Rohingya Muslim minority in Myanmar. More than 73,000 Rohingya have crossed into Bangladesh in the latest wave of violence by the Myanmar military, spurred by an attack from a group of Rohingya militants on a military post on August 25.

prime_minister_narendra_modi_with_state_

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi with Myanmar State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi
Photo Credit: Narendra Modi, Wikimedia

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

India to Invest $17 Billion on Japanese Bullet Trains

http://www.aljazeera...4122827892.html

Introduction:

India will invest $17bn to build its first high-speed train system, having reached a deal with Japan to help finance the project.

The network, which will run 508km between Mumbai and Ahmedabad, was announced on Thursday by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

"This is the new India, and the flight of its dreams is endless," he said. "The bullet train project will bring speed and employment. It is human-friendly and eco-friendly."

Japan will fund more than 80 percent, nearly $1.4bn, of the project's cost, providing a 0.1 percent interest loan due to be repaid over the next 50 years.

Shinzo Abe, the Japanese prime minister, said the development - a joint venture between Indian Railways and Japan's Shinkansen Technology - will prove beneficial for both nations.

4fd06e89fa154305b2a49f088b352822_18.jpg

Abe's visit is seen as symbolic of the growing ties between New Delhi and Tokyo

[Amit Dave/Reuters]

• eacao likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

Farmers’ Protest In Sikar, Rajasthan Turns Into A People’s Movement

https://thelogicalin...rmers-protests/

Introduction:

Since September 1, a farmer-led agitation has been brewing in the historical city of Sikar, Rajasthan, located 114 km away from the state capital of Jaipur.

Fed up of government apathy, falling prices, mounting debts and politicians refusing to keep their promises, thousands and thousands of farmers joined hands to protest the various injustices.

The protests were started by the All-India Kisan Sabha (AIKS), the farmers’ wing of the CPI(M). The Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee Mandi in Sikar has become the ground zero for agitating peasants. The agitation has also inspired similar movements in other districts of the state.

The burgeoning movement is unique in that it has garnered raucous support from virtually all classes of society. Nearly every element of Sikar society has turned up to support the protesting farmers – from students, anganwadi workers, the city bus union, the autorickshaw union, the small traders association, the pump set workers and the local DJ.

It is the biggest gathering that Sikar has seen in almost 30 years.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,216 posts

The Managing Committee of the Gujarat High Court Advocates’ Association has unanimously resolved to support Senior Advocate Dushyant Dave, who has been facing condemnation for his comments on Justice Jayant M. Patel’s resignation earlier this week. ...

Read more at: http://www.livelaw.i...ar-association/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: India

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users