Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Quitting

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Ready Steady Yeti

Ready Steady Yeti

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi. I know this is the introductions section, but I'm actually bidding this site farewell, so I felt the introduction section was most appropriate, even though it's the opposite of such.

I loved hanging around here (sometimes), but I feel that I am not making much of a contribution to this community. I try to present my ideas and I try to be creative, but (a few people in particular, and I'm sure you know who you are) try to debunk my ideas to the brink. People say I have a very active imagination and that I'm very smart and have a lot of potential, and some people here are treating me like I'm stupid. Perhaps it's because I have a lot to learn, and maybe in my adult life, I'll have the full potential that my self has to offer, and will have a lot more to show to people.

But I'm surprised that people here do not appreciate my ideas. I think of myself as someone who thinks outside the box and can think of an extreme amount of possibilities of answers from a question someone gives me. I have always had a large interest in history, and my interest in the future is quite recent and somewhat based on my interest in history.

Let's put it this way; science and math are not at all my strongsuits. And I tend to have a very black-and-white mode of thinking, so though I know a lot of facts, my perception of history and the future may be off just because I try to compare it to today too much. I'm an autistic kid, literally, if that explains anything else. But I'll be in college next year going for a BA in history, so hopefully in the next 4-5 years I'll have a lot more to offer on the subject, since I'm very interested in it. I may also go for linguistics, since that's another long-term interest I've had and, at least compared to most others around me, yes I am very knowledgeable in that subject.

Anyway, that's not really the only reason I'm quitting. The main reason is because I just can't predict the future. It's a futile practice to try to predict and fret over whether or not the singularity is going to happen. That's like spending your entire life worrying about a zombie apocalypse.

The singularity COULD only happen if we make it happen. If humans just dropped every piece of technology and never invented another one again, the singularity would not happen. So therefore, it is not an inevitable fate for humanity.

Anyway, I want to live in the present day. I like life the way it is and I want to just live it and enjoy it right now, so that I don't regret later that I didn't. I don't want to think when I'm 65 that I wasted my life spending all my youthful time worrying about what would happen when I'm 65. I'm just gonna live 2016, then 2017, 2018, 2019, like everyone else is. And I'm gonna let the singularity go. I'm gonna let the 2060s just happen rather than try to predict that decade. You really never know what could happen in that amount of time. You could make some pretty darned good predictions, but you can't know. You just can't KNOW. For all we know, another terrorist attack could happen in the 2020s, but we don't know that without any evidence. I could make up things all day, all year, all decade, about things that will happen in the near future, and maybe a few of those will actually happen, maybe.

I want to use the 2016 resources to enjoy my life. I was given a lot of resources; I'm lucky, and you know what I wanna do with my life? I want to use my resources to give to other people who don't have those same resources. I recognize that there are people in Haiti who are starving to death because they can't get away from the situation they're in. I recognize that there are people in Syria who have to deal with people shooting each other in their own towns, and plus the whole starving to death thing happens there too. I want to work for equal rights in the workforce and in the entirety of society. I may be a troll sometimes on the internet, but in the end I want people to be happy in their general lives, and I think everyone deserves a place to live and food on their tables, and to not be given such things just because of the place they were born is more horrible and unfair than I can even describe!

Besides that, there are things in my own life in 2016 right in front of me that I can enjoy. I like to do complete analyses of obscure video games, and maybe that's not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm glad that I'm in a position in my life where I have the ability to do the things I love. Sometime in the future, I may not have those things anymore, so why not enjoy it now?

Anyway, if I sit here and try to predict the future, none of those things are getting done. I want to live here, in this time, if that makes any sense. We can't put any labels on the 2040s, 2050s, or 2060s because they haven't happened yet. All we can do is guess and ponder.

But before I go, I'm gonna give you one last theory of what the future will be like; post-singularity if you will. I hope you can listen to this and try to understand what I'm saying because I'm probably not going to explain it any further since I'll be gone.

After giving it a great deal of thought, I think that a singularity, in the sense of extreme superintelligence, is technically possible. However, everything has limits, and a lot of things can be given limits. You know how smartphones are today, right? Well, when we are at the brink of inventing such explosively intelligent technology, humans will probably have realized by then that, if they want humans to still be the dominant creatures in society, that they need to keep the technology from doing so.

Therefore, the technology, yes, will have godlike problem solving and comprehension skills, but will still be less than us due to the fact that the programmers of such AI will assure that the AI does not actually have any consciousness, emotion, or decision-making skills. Therefore, you just ask it a question, and it answers that question. Yes, it would basically be a perfect world, since anything can be done BY US. They will be superintelligent and will be godlike, but they won't have any physical ability to make any decisions on their own without going through us first. So yes, it will cause a postscarcity, so economy will no longer be needed or will barely be needed anyway. Now that's not so scary, is it? They'd basically be like superintelligent smartphones; they'd still be tools.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and I'm done lashing out opinions on you guys. It's been fun, but I don't really want to be here anymore. I'm not deleting my account, since I may change my mind one day. Like I said, you never know what the future holds. Good luck on all your futuristic forecasting projects or whatever else you do here. I mean that in a non-sarcastic way (note that I rarely ever use sarcasm). Peace!

• ddmkm122 likes this

As We Rise

As We Rise

I actually left this time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Please don't go. Many of us enjoy seeing other peoples' perspectives on things. Just don't associate yourself with the people who don't appreciate you. 

That said, if you truly are leaving, I bid you best of luck out there.

Sayonara, RSY.

• Casey, ddmkm122 and Ready Steady Yeti like this

Let us all come together and help save the world, one tree at a time.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

See you, Yeti. Our views on the near/medium future might not have much in common, but you're a good guy and someone I think I would generally agree with on most things outside of futurism.

Before you go, I'm curious if you've uploaded any of your TAS work to Youtube or anything like that? Those are always fun to watch.

• ddmkm122 and Ready Steady Yeti like this

Ready Steady Yeti

Ready Steady Yeti

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Ah, yes, my channel has a lot of TAS videos. I don't have any full-game TASes published (yet) but will soon. I do warn you, though, my channel mostly consists of bad obscure games that most people have never heard of in their lives, but I do my best to make my TASes as quick and hopefully entertaining as the game allows.

Check it all out at http://youtube.com/Ready1Steady1Yeti1 . You'll have to scroll through my videos, since I recently uploaded a shitload of soundtrack videos for two games, but I have videos for two Fosters games, That's So Raven, Lego Friends, Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA), etc., all of which I'm planning/doing full TASes of. Thanks for taking interest!
  • ddmkm122 likes this

Recyvuym

Recyvuym

Apophis 2036

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDie Sonne

Bye, Yeti. Sorry we weren't more inviting. In my observation of this site, you generally have to stick around for a few months before people really start paying attention to you. It's a shortcoming on all our parts, but it isn't intentional. Hope you do end up coming back. I think your retro nostalgia definitely has a place here.

• wjfox likes this

I loudly predicted the second wave of the Global Financial Crisis would begin by the 31st of March 2017. But I was wrong! Observe my well-deserved public humiliation here, here and here. Let this be a warning to all of you who try to guess the future. Yes, that means you, reading this now! Put that prediction back in your pocket! Do it now, before it's too late! (Also check out my userpage, it's even funnier.)

As We Rise

As We Rise

I actually left this time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

you generally have to stick around for a few months before people really start paying attention to you. 

Untrue. I've been here for almost a year and no one really pays attention to me.

Let us all come together and help save the world, one tree at a time.

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

you generally have to stick around for a few months before people really start paying attention to you.

Untrue. I've been here for almost a year and no one really pays attention to me.
People DO pay attention to you. You just have to post more if you want to interact with other people meaningfully :)

Is minic an fhírinne searbh.

Ready Steady Yeti

Ready Steady Yeti

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Just as a note, I think I am "coming back", but I don't think I'll be as active as before, due to my new philosophy on life.

• Zaphod and ddmkm122 like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,716 posts

I pay attention to you.

Perhaps you just don't feel my eyes gazing upon your posts.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 4,716 posts

Just as a note, I think I am "coming back", but I don't think I'll be as active as before, due to my new philosophy on life.

Oh, I definitely hope you do come back.

I know that in such forums it is often hard to obtain a fair hearing on your point of view.  You just about have to be willing to overwhelm prospective readers with inordinate numbers of citations all geared to proving your point.  Even then, after much hard labor, your ideas will be swept away with the wave of a hand and an insult to the school of thought to which you subscribe. If any of you find a forum anywhere on the internet that is not like that, please let me know, particularly if it involves more than three or four people and where you don't have to give your "real" name.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

ddmkm122

ddmkm122

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York, The United States Of America.
That's too bad...
Bye! :(

monsta666

monsta666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

My world outlook is completely opposed to the general vibe of this forum yet I lurk and occasionally post. So don't worry about your philosophy too much when posting! ;)

• nomad and Erowind like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

My world outlook is completely opposed to the general vibe of this forum yet I lurk and occasionally post. So don't worry about your philosophy too much when posting! ;)

Let me guess,

You're a extreme conservative that wishes we lived as we did in the 18th century.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Let me guess,

You're a extreme conservative that wishes we lived as we did in the 18th century.
I never knew the Amish had access to the internet?!

Is minic an fhírinne searbh.

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Let me guess,

I never knew the Amish had access to the internet?!

No they use microwaves

Spoiler

monsta666

monsta666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Let me guess,

Talk about jumping to conclusions. When I said my views go against the vibe of the forum I said this because I do not envision a future of continual technological improvement. I am more in the dystopia camp and believe things like climate change and resource/energy depletion will cause industrial civilisation to unravel. 

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts
  • LocationPlato's Atlantis
Don't say goodbye, the French say au revoir.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Razz

Razz

Homeless King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMilky way galaxy
Farewell prank gone wrong (simulation ended , females conquered). :)

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 4,866 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

I haven't quit. I find this forum so fun I won't quit.

wjfox will just ban your IP.

• As We Rise likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

"Banned"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users