Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

USA Watch Thread

America USA Politics Military Wars Science Information News Economy Geopolitics

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationRussia

Initially, i wanted to place them in "scum" thread...

Spoiler

"Only slaves and savages are fighting with monuments. Destroying the symbol of your slavery doesn't change a thing if you're staying a slave deep inside" - many years have passed, but i still remember this phrase from my school textbook.

...and he's totally right:

• As We Rise likes this

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

As We Rise

As We Rise

I actually left this time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Put it in there too.

Let us all come together and help save the world, one tree at a time.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Twice Suspended Judge Roy Moore Faces Runoff for Alabama Senate Seat

https://www.courthou...ma-senate-seat/

Introduction:

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (CN) – Alabama’s former Supreme Court Justice Roy Moore, twice suspended for defying the law, will face a runoff election in September against Luther Strange, who was appointed to fill the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Jeff Sessions when he became U.S. attorney general.

With more than 90 percent of the votes counted, Moore led with 39 percent of the votes in the Republican primary Tuesday, to Strange’s 33 percent. Strange was Alabama attorney general until then-Gov. Robert Bentley appointed him to Sessions’ empty seat. Congressman Mo Brooks came in third, with 20 percent of the votes in the crowded field of 10 Republicans and eight Democrats.

Moore was elected Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court in 2001 but removed in 2003 by the Alabama Court of the Judiciary for refusing to remove a Ten Commandments monument he’d commissioned from the Alabama Judicial Building, in defiance of the order of a federal judge. He was elected chief justice again in 2013, and suspended in May 2016, for ordering state judges to continue to enforce the state’s ban on same-sex marriage, in defiance of the U.S. Supreme Court. Moore appealed his suspension and lost and resigned in April this year.

President Donald Trump endorsed Strange, whose appointment to the position was not without controversy. As attorney general, Strange was in charge of investigating Gov. Bentley’s affair with a former aide. Just before Bentley appointed him to the vacant Senate seat, Strange wrote a letter to the Alabama House Judiciary Committee, asking it to stop the impeachment inquiry.

Bentley resigned after the Alabama Ethics Committee found probable cause that he had violated ethics and campaign finance laws by using state resources to carry out and conceal the affair. He resigned and agreed to be banned for life from seeking elective office in Alabama. He was replaced by Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Spoiler

"Only slaves and savages are fighting with monuments. Destroying the symbol of your slavery doesn't change a thing if you're staying a slave deep inside" - many years have passed, but i still remember this phrase from my school textbook.

...and he's totally right:

You say that, but for the US, the Confederacy is more akin to how the liberal opposition is in Russia. So unless I'm misinterpreting things, you're basically equating the likes of Peter the Great or Joseph Stalin to Alexei Navalny. Or, actually, Gorbachev now that I think about it.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

Twice Suspended Judge Roy Moore Faces Runoff for Alabama Senate Seat

https://www.courthou...ma-senate-seat/

The fact a religious fascist like Roy Moore wins more votes is a good indication of just how fucked up Alabama is.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

U.S. ends program for Central American minors fleeing violence
Source: Reuters

August 16, 2017 / 5:38 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security terminated a program on Wednesday that allowed minors fleeing violence in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras to settle in the United States, ending travel hopes for more than 2,700 children awaiting approval.

In a notice published in the Federal Register that goes into effect Aug. 16, the government said it was ending the practice of granting parole under the Central American Minors (CAM) Program, which was offered to children even if they had been denied refugee status.

The program started at the end of 2014 under the administration of former President Barack Obama as a response to tens of thousands of unaccompanied minors and families from Central America who arrived at the U.S.-Mexico border seeking entry into the United States.

An executive order on border security signed by U.S. President Donald Trump days after he took office in January triggered a review of the program, putting on hold applications of more than 2,700 children who had been conditionally approved for entry into the United States. Now those applications will be canceled. The bulk of the children approved for the program were from El Salvador.

Read more: http://www.reuters.c...SKCN1AW2OZ?il=0

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationRussia

Abraham Lincoln monument torched in Chicago: ‘An absolute disgraceful act’

19.08.4-624x364.jpg

But why is it "absolute disgraceful"? IMHO no more disgraceful than this:

DHRBE52XkAERTog.jpg

This was predictable, isn't it? When you're desecrating other's shrines, get ready to symmetric response and don't pretend to be the "offended innocence", it's too late for this.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Imagine if the liberal opposition in Russia began attacking every statue of Peter, Ivan, Catherine, Alexander, Lenin, and Stalin but went up in arms if you dared to attack Gorbachev or Yeltsin, or wanted to install statues of Navalny and defend them with guns. And then Americans came in and say "Why are you so offended?"

Hell, Robert E. Lee even outright said "Don't build monuments."

Robert E. Lee discouraged monuments. They ‘keep open the sores of war,’ he wrote

President Trump may see the statues commemorating the Confederacy and Robert E. Lee as things of “beauty” that will be “greatly missed.”
But Lee himself did not share the sentiment. To him, they would only “keep open the sores of war” and the ill will war engendered, which he thought should be consigned to “oblivion.”
He said so on several occasions in the years after he surrendered his army to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant on April 9, 1865, at Appomattox, Va., some 70 miles southwest of Charlottesville, which erupted in violence last weekend after white supremacists and neo-Nazis marched in the name of saving a statue of Lee from dismantling.
He expressed his views in two famous letters that are now recirculating widely in the wake of Charlottesville.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationRussia

Imagine if the liberal opposition in Russia began attacking every statue of Peter, Ivan, Catherine, Alexander, Lenin, and Stalin but went up in arms if you dared to attack Gorbachev or Yeltsin, or wanted to install statues of Navalny and defend them with guns. And then Americans came in and say "Why are you so offended?"

In this analogy, the "liberal opposition" were ones who started the war. Just like "liberal opposition" doing it in modern USA. Correct me if i'm wrong, but these statues were there for decades (some are from 19th century) and suddenly someone decided that those statues "insult our feelings" and there is the urgent need to smash them all...

Btw, Ukrainian civil war started exactly this way, from ленинопад - "leninfall" - mass destruction and desecration of Lenin's statues. There were those who tried to stop the vandals - not the faithful Leninists, just the groups of common people vith very different views, defending their common history - but they were in minority. And the last events clearly demonstrated that Americans aren't any smarter than Ukrainians.

SLTIpjU1AW8.jpg

But as you wish, this is your country, not mine... i just know how it usually ends.

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

In this analogy, the "liberal opposition" were ones who started the war. Just like "liberal opposition" doing it in modern USA. Correct me if i'm wrong, but these statues were there for decades (some are from 19th century) and suddenly someone decided that those statues "insult our feelings" and there is the urgent need to smash them all...

Btw, Ukrainian civil war started exactly this way, from ленинопад - "leninfall" - mass destruction and desecration of Lenin's statues. There were those who tried to stop the vandals - not the faithful Leninists, just the groups of common people vith very different views, defending their common history - but they were in minority. And the last events clearly demonstrated that Americans aren't any smarter than Ukrainians.

SLTIpjU1AW8.jpg

But as you wish, this is your country, not mine... i just know how it usually ends.

I agree with Phoenix, this is going to get worse if we keep smashing statues. It's actually the reason I did not go to the Nazi bashing "party" the other night.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

BarkEater93

BarkEater93

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCanada
Statues, whether standing or being smashed to bits, don’t make history. They’re just symbols of history, of people and events that have already passed.

In other words, they’re just statues.

The ultimate reasoning behind their destruction is something that has been around for a long while now.

The U.S. is in an identity crisis. And it’s only at the beginning. It’s going to grow. But its impact should not be overstated. It’s an inevitable and natural stage in the evolution of American society, and of all maturing civilizations.

The internal struggle between what Americans want, need and value is a reflection of the young state that the country is in. 
It’s only been 25 years that the U.S. has been the world’s only superpower, and it’s still trying to figure all this out. The nation is still trying to find its new identity and its place in the world.

Its actions abroad have been childish and barbaric. Its actions at home have lacked coherence. This barbarism, combined with its dominance, has garnered great hate both from abroad and within. That hate translates into self-contempt. The U.S. is right now in one of its cyclical periods of self-contempt. 

The behaviour in the U.S. is exactly what you’d expect to see in a country in the early stages of being an empire. Like an adolescent struggling to find its identity and place in the world.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

The behaviour in the U.S. is exactly what you’d expect to see in a country in the early stages of being an empire.

...or later stages, as the case may be.  China is on the rise, and Russia is re-asserting itself.  Meanwhile, new centers of economic growth and power are rising in the Pacific region. Even in Latin America, leftist governments have arisen that are defiant of U.S. hegemony.  Of course, some of those Latin American governments have fallen or are in danger of falling. 

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

I am finding what I consider to be interesting articles on all sorts of different countries this morning.  So, this is the good old U.S. of A's turn.

The Spread of White Nationalism Is Taking Our Nation into Uncharted and Dangerous Territory

http://www.alternet....erous-territory

America’s culture wars are back. Only this time it’s white identity politics supplanting the religious right. This is a step beyond the GOP’s formula of turning elections into a battle over faith and family, with non-Christian non-traditional values under threat, and the enemy identified as anyone embracing diversity and tolerance.

Maybe culture war isn’t the right phrase. Maybe what we're witnessing is a clash of American civilization, or the start of a national disintegration. But race-centric beliefs that have been kept under wraps by many whites for decades are breaking into the open.

This is seen in Charlottesville’s marchers, in President Trump’s false-equivalency defense of the “good” people on both sides, and in polls finding two-thirds of GOP voters were okay with his response. Somehow, racist, epithet-yelling white supremacists and neo-Nazi sympathizers didn’t upset Trump. These white power nationalist voices came from within his base—those who believe his "Make America Great Again" rants mean restoring their power and privilege.

It may be too soon to understand the scope or limits of the unraveling before us. But here are 10 concrete observations (see link provided above for first nineb- caltrek) as we begin to take stock of this juncture. There surely are many more. But let’s mark this moment as a break from, as well as a continuation of, the past, even as we read the opening page of a chapter that’s still being written. (More marches are planned for this weekend.)

10. The response? Empathize but don’t sympathize.That’s Lakoff’s prescription for dealing with this cohort of America, including its white supremacist elements. That sounds hard, but Lakoff says the white power marchers and the strict-father mindsets are due to the way their brains are wired. For progressives who want to challenge and change that, it means knowing your moral compass, trying to hear where their grievances are coming from, and then pushing back by stating what is true and what is not. That’s the only way to rewire unconscious thinking, Lakoff says. “Empathy is not necessarily being sympathetic to someone else, but it has to do with really putting yourself in their shoes so you know what they're doing and what they could be doing to you.”

screen_shot_2017-08-21_at_2.50.32_pm.png

Photo Credit: www.facebook.com/Pennsylvania-Light-Foot-Militia

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Hope you enjoy your new police state, guys.

• Cody930, Yuli Ban and As We Rise like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Footage shows this nurse being forcefully arrested for following her hospital's rules.

---

The Salt Lake Tribune
Published on Aug 31, 2017

Alex Wubbels, a nurse at University Hospital in Salt Lake City, was arrested after explaining to police that she couldn't draw a blood sample from an unconscious person. A Salt Lake City police detective asked for a blood sample. After explaining to the detective that the police needed a warrant, consent from the unconscious patient or that the patient needed to be under arrest before the blood sample could be drawn, she was arrested.

Erowind

Erowind

Psychonaut, Aspiring Mathematician and Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationInside some convoluted formula I don't actually understand.

Footage shows this nurse being forcefully arrested for following her hospital's rules.

I think it's about time I start compiling a database of shit like this. Next time some jackass tells me the police are a force for justice I'm going to calmly show them my database of the countless acts of bullshit that these pigs take part in. We are entering a police state. The police are not hear to protect you or uphold the law. They regularly break the law and are rewarded for it. If you resist the police for breaking the law, you are punished and they are not, this is the definition of injustice. I want a world where if a gang of armed men entering a building for any reason is met with the entire local community showing up at the door with pitchforks, ready for war.

Current status: slaving away for the math gods of Pythagoras VII.

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

---

The Salt Lake Tribune
Published on Aug 31, 2017

Alex Wubbels, a nurse at University Hospital in Salt Lake City, was arrested after explaining to police that she couldn't draw a blood sample from an unconscious person. A Salt Lake City police detective asked for a blood sample. After explaining to the detective that the police needed a warrant, consent from the unconscious patient or that the patient needed to be under arrest before the blood sample could be drawn, she was arrested.

Can the police legally do this?

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Can the police legally do this?

Well, in the good old days I would say "no".  But with the recent spate of conservative justices appointed to the Supreme Court, I would have to say "who knows?"

It is a sad fact of the criminal justice system that the law is what a judge says it is. So if a judge rules against a nurse, despite what a reasonable interpretation of the law might be, then the nurse is in the wrong.

That is why it is so important to have Supreme Court justices with a well developed sense of justice and ethics.  That is why the conservative win in appointing Gorsich is such a pyrrhic victory,  one that will cost far more than it brings in benefit.

...as we go marching toward a police state.

• Erowind likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

aSzX56V.jpg

• caltrek, As We Rise and Erowind like this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

I knew there might be something different about conservatives in Utah:

Two Officers Put on Leave After Utah Nurse Confrontation

http://www.msn.com/e...ID=ansmsnnews11

Introduction:

Two Salt Lake City police officers have been placed on paid administrative leave after a shocking video of a nurse's arrest sparked nationwide outrage.

The Salt Lake City police department announced on Friday that it had put Detective Jeff Payne, the officer who arrested Alex Wubbels, plus a second employee, on leave "pending the results of an investigation." The second employee was not identified, but police spokeswoman Christina Judd confirmed to NBC News on Saturday that he was also a police officer.

The incident happened on July 26 after an unconscious patient was brought to the University of Utah Hospital after a road accident that left him badly burned. Payne wanted blood drawn from the patient.

In 19 minutes of police bodycam footage that was made public, Payne insists Wubbels, who works in the burn unit, draw blood. When Wubbels refuses, citing hospital protocol, Payne becomes increasingly agitated.

But Wubbels doesn't back down in the videos, which may have been edited. "No, we're done," Payne says abruptly. "You're under arrest, we're going!"

Oh my.  It just dawned on me that this took place in Salt Lake City.  If there is any patch of blue in Utah, it is in Salt Lake City.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: America, USA, Politics, Military, Wars, Science, Information, News, Economy, Geopolitics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users