Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The Singularity - The Technotopia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Ready Steady Yeti

Ready Steady Yeti

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

It shows the life of a few teenagers in the 2010s, and their parents and family. Then it shows these teenagers in their 40's (in the 2040s). In the year 2045 a Singularity happens, causing machines to rapidly expand their intelligence, and within the year create a nearly perfect society that is based on such gods. These machines can answer any question, any problem that a human gives them they can solve.

The 2010s teenagers (who are now in their 40s) are pulled out of the workplace suddenly, comforted by the machines, who scan their brains and figure out everything about their entire lives, psyches, and bodies in mere instants. This happens to everyone on earth, as well as every animal and other biological creature.

The robots are also building massive metallic structures all across the galaxy using nanotechnology.

(I need an ending)

By the way, anybody have any good photos relating to the Singularity?

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

I thought we've explained that this isn't a very plausible way for the Singularity to transpire. Nothing is going to happen that rapidly, even in the  Kurzweillian "rapture of the nerds" style scenario. The singularity won't be an instant, society wide event where we just flip a switch and everything changes instantly. The time of the first transcensions to something beyond baseline humanity, but it will be subtle. Ais and post humans will pursue their own ends. Some will seek political and economic power and gain it--not because we'll just hand over the keys as Singulatarians think, but because their enhanced intelligence will enable them to beat the competition in a fair "fight". Others will pursue myriad other goals, and still others will have little or no interest in baseline society. It's a fascinating, tumultuous, dangerous era in human history--and I repeat, era, not point--and deserves to be treated with nuance. There are many paths one can consider taking.

Unless this is meant to be satire. As a parody of the singularity, it could actually be pretty funny. But that's the key, it has to be funny. It has to mock the notion of a "rapture of the nerds" and take it to surreal extremes. And that could be pretty original. We haven't seen too many parodies of the singularity.

• Ready Steady Yeti likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Well "The Rapture of the Nerds" that you keep mentioning is a comedic take on the Singularity. Secondly there are two scenarios to the Singularity and in Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep" the "hard" takeoff scenario is explored wherein the "Power" is developing in mere second, mere fractions of a second and it has developed to the point of incomprehensibility. Kurzweil does not rule out the hard takeoff scenario so much as prefer the soft takeoff scenario.

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

Well "The Rapture of the Nerds" that you keep mentioning is a comedic take on the Singularity. Secondly there are two scenarios to the Singularity and in Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep" the "hard" takeoff scenario is explored wherein the "Power" is developing in mere second, mere fractions of a second and it has developed to the point of incomprehensibility. Kurzweil does not rule out the hard takeoff scenario so much as prefer the soft takeoff scenario.

I didn't literally mean the novel (which I haven't read) I meant the concept. As for superintelligence developing inside a single second, that strikes me as nonsensical and probably stretches the boundaries of physics, let alone cognitive science.

• Ready Steady Yeti likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Well it was a scifi book but it goes to show that the people most familiar with the concept don't exclude the possibility of rapid development.

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users