Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The 1950s

1950s retrofuturism Eisenhower Soviet Union Cold War Fallout 1945 1963 Truman Golden Age science fiction

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

^That's a good thing.

You think science should only be about profit?

You think the government should be the only nonprofit entity in existence?

I'll have you know that I'm currently interning at a nonprofit tech company.

• Infinite likes this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

As We Rise

As We Rise

I came back~!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

You? Interning at a nonprofit company?! How unheard of.

Let us all come together and help save the world, one tree at a time.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

You? Interning at a nonprofit company?! How unheard of.

Why would that be? It pays well and I do interesting work.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

Accidental double post.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

Ok, the 50s is finally a decade that is before my time.  (Stop that snickering out there.)  So here is my timeline for that decade (North America only).

1950 AD

The United Labor Policy Committee (ULPC) is formed. It is made up of the AFL, the CIO, the Railway Labor Executives Association, and the then unaffiliated Machinists.[i]  1950 A.D.

A 103 day strike occurs at Chrysler by the Automobile Workers.[ii]  1950 A.D.

The Truman Administration announces that early in the next year a general price-wage freeze will be put into effect.[iii]  1950

In Milgram v. Loew’s the consistent refusal of the major distributors of motion pictures to grant first-runs to a drive –in theater was held to be proof of a collusion.[iv]  1951 A.D.

Stuart Symington calls for a nuclear attack on China at a secret meeting of the National Security Council. [v] January 11, 1951 A.D.

News headlines report that President Truman has fired Douglas McCarthur.[vi]  April 10, 1951 A.D.

The AFL withdraws from the ULPC.[vii] Summer of 1951 A.D.

Fritz Perls, Hefferline, and Paul Goodman produce a textbook on Gestalt Therapy.[viii]  1951 A.D.

White Collar by C. Wright Mills is published.[ix]  1951 A.D.

The AFL withdraws from the ULPC.[x] Summer of 1951 A.D.

The Japanese Peace Treaty is formally signed in the Opera House at San Francisco.[xi]  September 4, 1951 A.D.

Texas Instruments is founded. 1951 A.D.

The Nature Conservancy is founded in Arlington, Virginia. 1951 A.D.

Steel companies turn down a federal mediation award. Steel workers strike. President Truman orders seizure of the mills.[xii]  March 1952 A.D.

The United States Supreme Court rules that Truman exceeded his constitutional powers in seizing steel mills and orders that they be returned to their owners.[xiii]  June 2, 1952

Product specification changes cause management to retime jobs and reset wage rates which results in a strike in the rubber industry in Akron.[xiv]  1952 A.D.

The Japanese Peace Treaty is ratified by the U.S. Congress.[xv]  1952 A.D.

Al Gore is elected to the U.S. Senate representing Tennessee.  Frank Clement wrestles the governor seat away from Gordon Browning.[xvi]  1952

Dwight D. Eisenhower is elected president.  1952 A.D.

James Carey resigns from several government security groups in protest against the awarding of defense contracts to the General Electric Corporation in plants where it was dealing with the UE.[xvii]  October 1952 A.D.

A temporary guest worker visa program is made an official law as part of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).[xviii] 1952 A.D.

1953 AD

Dwight Eisenhower is inaugurated as President.[xix]  January 20, 1953 A.D.

At its convention, the AFL expels the International Longshoremen’s Association on the grounds of domination by racketeers.[xx]  1953 A.D.

At one of his evangelizing events, Billy Graham cuts the ropes separating whites from blacks in his audience.[xxi]  1953 A.D.

President Eisenhower and the Joint Chiefs of Staff approve use of nuclear weapons against China if the Korean War continues to worsen.[xxii]  May 20, 1953 A.D.

The Nation publishes “The Case Against Smoking” in which Dr. Alton Ochsner links cigarettes to lung cancer.[xxiii]  May 23, 1953

The Korean War has rapidly de-escalated.[xxiv]  1954 A.D.

Due to an economic downturn in the industry, the American Woolen Co. demands a 21.5 cent an hour cut.  A strike is called and the union eventually accepts a 9.5 cent cut.[xxv]  1954 A.D.

The Southeast Asia Treaty Organization  (SEATO) is formed.[xxvi]  1954 A.D.

Living the Good Life by Helen and Scott Nearing is published. 1954 A.D.

Dr. Jonas Salk’s polio vaccine is given to children in Pittsburgh.[xxvii]  February 23, 1954 A.D.

President Eisenhower offers two atomic bombs to the French to break the Communist siege at Dien Bien Phu.[xxviii]  April 1954 A.D.

IBM announces it will market an electronic calculating machine for business.[xxix]  May 24, 1954 A.D.

In Brown v. the Board of Education of Topeka the Supreme Court outlaws racial segregation in schools.[xxx]  May 1954 A.D.

The journal Dissent is founded by Irwing Howe.[xxxi]  1954 A.D.

The nuclear submarine the Nautilus is launched.[xxxii]  1954 A.D.

The Atomic Energy Act is adopted to provide controls over the possession, development, and use of radioactive materials.[xxxiii]  1954 A.D.

Senator Hubert Humphrey sponsors an Amendment to the Communist Control Act making the Communist Party an illegal body.[xxxiv]  1954 A.D.

The CIO retains the Elmo Roper organization to do a special study of opinion as background for political activity in the election[xxxv] of 1954 A.D.

Harlan Sanders agrees to franchise Kentucky Fried Chicken.[xxxvi]  1954 A.D.

Dave Edgerton becomes the first franchisee of InstaBurger King in Dade County, Florida.[xxxvii] 1954 A.D.

Legislation authorizes the U.S. to join Canada in developing the Saint Lawrence Seaway Project.[xxxviii] May 1954 A.D.

Work begins on the Saint Lawrence Power Project near Cornwall, Ontario and Massena, New York. August 10, 1954 A.D.

President Eisenhower gives approval for the construction of spy planes.[xxxix] December 1, 1954 A.D.

1955 AD

At its convention, the UAW-CIO authorizes a sizable increase in dues to provide for a strike fund. [xl] 1955 A.D.

The American Federation of Labor and the Congress of Industrial Organizations merge.[xli]  1955 A.D.

A demonstration walkout among many unions in the Birmingham area occurs in protest against what are regarded as harsh tactics of Southern Bell System in dealing with striking employees.[xlii]  1955 A.D.

Pete Seeger releases his song Where Have All The Flowers Gone?  1955 A.D.

Ray Kroc forms his new franchising company with the McDonald brothers.[xliii]  March 2, 1955

Martin Luther King and Ralph Abernathy initiate the Montgomery bus boycott.[xliv]  1955 A.D.

The Bank Holding Act is enacted allowing the establishment of one-bank holding companies. These companies can provide trade services, insurance, commercial paper, consumer credit, leasing of industrial equipment, data processing, and establish certain types of mutual funds.[xlv] 1956 A.D.

The trans-Canada pipeline  project is underway It is to bring natural gas from Alberta to central Canada.[xlvi]  1956 A.D.

The Power Elite by C. Wright Mills is published.[xlvii]  1956 A.D.

The Montgomery bus boycott results in the end of segregation of buses in Alabama.[xlviii] 1956 A.D.

Dwight D. Eisenhower is re-elected president. The Republicans are still left in a minority in both houses of Congress.[xlix]  1956 A.D.

The Village Voice, one of whose founders is Norman Mailer, first appears.[l]  1956 A.D.

The Trades and Labor Congress of Canada and the Canadian Congress of Labor merge.[li]  1956 A.D.

1957 AD

Dave Edgerton and partners change the name of their four stores from InstaBurger King to Burger King.[lii]  1957 A.D.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand is published.[liii]  1957 A.D.

The Liberals are defeated in the general elections and John Diefenbaker becomes prime minister of Canada.[liv]  1957 A.D.

The McClellan Committee, with Robert F. Kennedy on its staff, begins hearings on the Teamsters.[lv] 1957 A.D.

The Southern Christian Leadership Conference is formed.[lvi]  1957 A.D.

The Eisenhower Doctrine is implemented by an act of Congress permitting the President of the United States to give military assistance to Middle Eastern countries requesting help against Communist aggressors.[lvii]  1957 A.D.

The National Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy (SANE) is founded and puts its first advertisement in the New York Times. Founding members include Eleanor Roosevelt, Paul Tillich, Roger Baldwin, and Norman Cousins.[lviii]  November 15, 1957 A.D.

Fairchild Semiconductor is founded as a division of Fairchild Camera and Instrument, it became a pioneer in the manufacturing of transistors and of integrated circuits.  1957 A.D.

The first American satellite, the Explorer I, is launched.[lix]  January 1958 A.D.

Clark Kerr is accused by the House Un-American Activities Committee of being pro-Communist because of his policy of allowing free speech on a college campus.[lx]  1958 A.D.

The Affluent Society by John Kenneth Galbraith is published 1958.[lxi] A.D.

In Canada, Louis St. Laurent retires as Liberal leader and is succeeded by Lester Pearson.[lxii]  1958 A.D.

In Canada, general elections give the Progressive Conservatives their greatest margin of victory in Canadian history. [lxiii] 1958 A.D.

Jack Kilby at Texas Instruments  and Robert Noyce at Fairchild Semiconductor each arrive separately at the same breakthrough: the silicon chip.[lxiv] Autumn of 1958 and early winter of 1959 A.D.

The Saint Lawrence Seaway is opened.[lxv]  April 25, 1959 A.D.

The South Saskatchewan power and irrigation project begins.[lxvi]  May 27, 1959 A.D.

Vincent Massey is succeeded as Governor General in Canada by Major General George Vanier.[lxvii]  September 15, 1959 A.D.

Alaska and Hawaii become states of the U.S.[lxviii]  1959 A.D.

The Landrum-Griffin Act, relating to labor unions, is passed.[lxix]  1959 A.D.

The Student League for Industrial Democracy is reorganized into the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS).[lxx]  1959 A.D.

Harold Geneen takes over as the head of ITT.[lxxi] 1959 A.D.

[i] Barbash

[ii] Barbash

[iii] Lippman and Hansen

[iv] Rand

[v] K&A

[vi] K&A

[vii] Barbash

[viii] Roszak

[ix] Unger

[x] Barbash

[xi] Mosley

[xii] Beard

[xiii] Beard

[xiv] Barbash

[xv] Mosley

[xvi] Steinberg. Clement was backed by political boss Ed Crump, while Kefauver unseated Crump backed Kay Dee McKellar.

[xvii] Barbash

[xix] Beard

[xx] Barbash

[xxi] Isbouts, who adds that “from 1954 on (Graham) insisted on integrating seating at all of his appearances in the South.”

[xxii] K&A

[xxiii] The Nation, April 2015

[xxiv] K&A

[xxv] Barbash

[xxvi] Dowd

[xxix] K&K

[xxx] NG. Unger.

[xxxi] Unger

[xxxiii] Boyce

[xxxiv] Hodgson

[xxxv] Barbash

[xxxvi] Love

[xxxviii] Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary

[xxxix] Mosley

[xl] Barbash

[xli] Hodgson. See also Dowd and Beard..

[xlii] Barbash

[xliii] Love

[xliv] Isbouts

[xlv] B&M

[xlvi] Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary

[xlvii] Dowd. See also Unger.

[xlix] Beard

[l] Hodgson

[li] Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary

[lii] Love

[liii] Rand

[liv] NG. See also Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary

[lv] Hodgson

[lvi] Isbouts

[lvii] Beard

[lviii] Hodgson. Unger.

[lx] Hodgson

[lxi] Unger

[lxii] Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary

[lxiii] Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary

[lxiv] Greider

[lxv] Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary

[lxvi] Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary

[lxvii] Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary

[lxviii] NG. See also Beard.

[lxix] Hodgson. See also Dowd.

[lxx] Unger

[lxxi] B&M

• Casey likes this

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

20264785_1386512171426991_71455638642906

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationArgentina

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

SInce Casey liked my timeline (oh what little I need in terms of encouragement) I thought I would present another timeline focusing on English speaking countries outside of North America as well as technological developments:

Winston Churchill becomes Prime Minister.[i] 1951 A.D.

Nuclear scientist Klaus Fuchs is arrested on suspicion of passing nuclear secrets to the USSR.[ii]  February 3, 1950 A.D.

Australia and New Zealand sign the ANZUS Pact with the United Sates to ensure the security of the Pacific region.[iii]  1952 A.D.

Edmund Hillary’s Ascent of Everest is published.[iv]  - 1953 A.D.

In a paper in Nature magazine, James Crick and Francis Watson announce the result of their team’s research into the structure of DNA.[v]  April 2, 1953 A.D.

Australia and New Zealand join the newly established Southeast Asia Treaty Organization  (SEATO).[vi]  1954 A.D.

In England, Conservative Sir Anthony Eden becomes Prime Minister.[vii]  1955 A.D.

In England, Conservative Harold Macmillan becomes Prime Minister. [viii] 1957 A.D.

The Wolfenden report declares that homosexual acts between consenting adults should no longer be illegal.[ix]  September 4, 1957 A.D.

The Soviet Union successfully launches Sputnik I.[x]  October, 1957 A.D

Sputnik II is launched with the dog Laika on board as a passenger.[xi]  November 3, 1957 A.D.

Schiller’s play Marie Stewart is produced by Old Vic and given a performance in England.[xii]    1958 A.D.

The United States launches Vanguard I.  It is the first satellite with solar batteries.[xiii]  March 17, 1958 A.D.

Eamon De Valera becomes President and Sean Lemass becomes Prime Minister of Ireland.[xiv]  1959 A.D.

Jack Kilby at Texas Instruments and Robert Noyce at Fairchild Semiconductor each arrive separately at the same breakthrough: the silicon chip.[xv] Autumn of 1958 and early winter of 1959 A.D.

Luna 2 crashes on the moon, the first man-made object to arrive there.[xvi]  September 13, 1959 A.D

[i] Delderfield

[ii] K&K

[iii] NG. See also Kennedy.

[iv] Davies

[v] Lowne

[vi] Kennedy

[vii] Delderfield

[viii] Delderfield

[ix] K&K

[x] Roberts. Dulles – A Biography of Eleanor, Allen, and John Foster Dulles and Their Family Network, Leonard Mosley. https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Sputnik_1

[xi] Roberts

[xii] Davies

[xiii] Roberts

[xiv] Lewis. See also NG.

[xv] Greider

[xvi] Roberts

• Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Nothing about the pre-Sputnik space race, though? Also, I did mention that this is the Cultural '50s more than anything, so you can push it back to 1947 or so. Or forward to 1963. Since, in the popular imagination, the period of time that we remember the '50s as being really lasted from 1947 to 1963.

And yes, this is convenient for my current post, because

Mice, Flies, Cats, Dogs and Monkeys: The History of Animals in Space

The first animals in outer space were fruit flies launched in a captured Nazi V-2 rocket on Feb. 20, 1947. The flies reached an altitude of 68 miles (108 km) and were recovered alive by parachute. Albert II became the first monkey in space on June 4, 1949

bRloOfZ.jpg

• Erowind likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

^^^I would hit the like button, but my wife would be very upset to read all of these stories about innocent animals suffering so much.  

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

20476442_754847834723717_603446790414201

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Hairstyles of the 1950s

4bd32e7373a90128bb963c41223d029a.jpg

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,241 posts

I have no idea where that came from.  Is it something I typed in my sleep perhaps?

Edit:  Or maybe it was my cat walking across the keyboard?

• Erowind likes this

TranscendingGod

TranscendingGod

2020's the decade of our reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I have no idea where that came from.  Is it something I typed in my sleep perhaps?

OH SHI*. The code in the fu**ing matrix is coming apart. 

• Erowind likes this

The growth of computation is doubly exponential growth. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

That's the URL for the image. It just broke.

• BasilBerylium likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1950s, retrofuturism, Eisenhower, Soviet Union, Cold War, Fallout, 1945, 1963, Truman, Golden Age science fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users