Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The AI Arms Race

artificial intelligence AI US China arms race AI arms race robotics Singularity Skynet military AI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The opening post reminded me of a movie I saw a few years back regarding Shaka Zulu.  Shaka Zulu developed a spear like weapon that was very efficient at reaching under an opponents shield and spearing that opponent to death.  Previously, the elders had made a great show of engaging in ritual warfare, but had stayed away from anything as barbaric as a one sided slaughter of their enemies.  So they argued against deployment of the new weapon.  Shaka's response: if we don't use it first then we risk our opponents using it against us.  He won the debate.

Today such logic may result in the singularity, or it may result in something far more dangerous - the annihilation of human civilization, if not the human species. We need to find a better way.  One which is clear headed about the dangers of both action and inaction.

I said in the Transhumanism & Cybernetics thread that it's already too late to find a better way. The AI Arms Race has begun and is already spiraling wildly out of control. This arms race began years ago, and Trump's antagonism towards China has done nothing but accelerate this race. 

It was dreadnaughts and machine guns in the 1890s and 1900s, and it was nuclear weapons and ICBMs in the 1950s and 1960s. Now it's AI and robotics.

A Global Arms Race to Create a Superintelligent AI is Looming

Stephen Hawking warns of 'AI arms race'

AI arms race risks spiralling out of control, report warns

AI arms race - Lesswrongwiki

Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking warn of AI arms race

Robotics scientist warns of terrifying future as world powers embark on AI arms race

• Zaphod and FrogCAT like this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

The only way out is ALL IN...on transhumanism.

• eacao and Yuli Ban like this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationArgentina

and it was nuclear weapons and ICBMs

Really that was a space race

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The space race was entirely peripheral to the nuclear arms race. The only reason we went through with it was to have a leg up on each other. The reason why America landed on the moon, for example, was to prove we could do it and potentially even create anti-nuclear defenses on Luna if the need ever came to it. Hence why NASA funding declined suspiciously in correlation with declines in the nuclear arms race.

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationArgentina

The space race was entirely peripheral to the nuclear arms race. The only reason we went through with it was to have a leg up on each other. The reason why America landed on the moon, for example, was to prove we could do it and potentially even create anti-nuclear defenses on Luna if the need ever came to it. Hence why NASA funding declined suspiciously in correlation with declines in the nuclear arms race.

Thanks for the explanation

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The only way out is ALL IN...on transhumanism.

It seems hopeless at the moment, at least in the West. I'm sure China is going all in on transhumanism, considering they care less about human rights and ethical procedures. But in order to truly make transhumanism superior to AI in an age before strong general AI or ASI exists, you need to get bloody and learn how the human body really ticks when you add cybernetics, when you hook it up to computers, when you replace limbs, when you pass electricity through the brain while a patient is still awake.

We Westerners are too liberal for that at the present moment.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: artificial intelligence, AI, US, China, arms race, AI arms race, robotics, Singularity, Skynet, military AI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users