Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Random snippets and visions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

This thread is basically for weird random ideas about the future, or futuristic visions, that don't merit a thread, but just popped into your head and need a home. Worldbuilding, character ideas, premises, random pictures in your head. You can put any of that here provided it's futuristic and not trolling.

------

I have this vision in my mind of a really bulky but really powerful form of mental augmentation, some sort of early government/military attempt at posthumanism by grafting so-called "backpack supercomputers" onto an operator's mind. I guess they wanted a posthuman who wasn't so weighed down by computronium as to be immobile. Even still, the system proved to be rather unwieldy; each unit weighed about 55 pounds it was calculated that the weakest posthuman intelligence would need at least three units to support its mind (with the software and neuroscience of the time). Two were designed to be carried like briefcases; the third as a backpack. As if this appearance wouldn't be bizarre enough to passerby, each unit had a spaghetti tangle of wires running out of it, connecting to some kind of electrode-studded cap covering the operator's head. Why? I dunno.

Basically a really crude attempt at creating posthumans, I'd probably date it to 2100 give or take a few years.

I don't imagine it succeeded. They had the raw computing power to lift a dozen or so operators to posthuman status. But due to limitations in software and cognitive science, it proved to unwieldy, both physically and mentally, and operators were only able to effectively use a fraction of their extended computational power. Actual posthumans emerged in the 2150s, and by that point, they looked much less absurd.

-----

Much further in the future, there's a weapon known as an Oxsheni Cannon. It's invented by beings more powerful than posthumans or high ais--kilometer-scale minds dubbed hyperintelligences. As such, its effects are difficult to describe in baseline-friendly terms, but you could say that it utilizes the innate computational power of the local environment to attack the enemy. Whatever the hell that means.

We know that Oxsheni Cannons vaguely resemble, well, small cannons (hence the name) though they fire only a thin stream of a mysterious fog that you wouldn't notice if you didn't look carefully. Those who survive an attack from one often report that it is as if their surroundings spontaneously became sentient and tried to destroy them. Which is indeed the most-accurate possible baseline-friendly description of what happens. Even a well-prepared baseline would almost instantly be killed by such an attack unless a friendly posthuman or high ai bailed them out. A posthuman or high ai would have considerable difficulty escaping an OC attack under their own power, and mitigating or containing the damage is simply impossible for anyone but a hypermind.

It is a common and somewhat curious fact that the weapons developed by hyperminds are not much different in terms of raw power and physical destruction than the greatest weapons developed by lower minds. However, the weaponry of a hypermind is far more subtle--a baseline observing one in operation would be hard-pressed to explain what they even do (other than "Destroy everyone somehow"), much less how they work--and also far less indiscriminate. If a group of militant baselines were hiding in a crowd of civilians, it would be trivial for a hypermind to blast every enemy to dust while leaving little more than a scratch on the surrounding bystanders. It is also known that in wars of high ais, posthumans, and even higher minds, killing the enemy isn't enough--they have to be destroyed, physically and mentally.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

You know I have dozens of these sorts. When I have more time later, I'll post them, but here is a list of some of them

• Lazars/Angelthanes. These can basically amount to "programmable smoke" or "programmable plasma".
  • Vyver Diamonds. Freakish diamonds that look almost exactly like this. They're more like toys.
  • Omnimatia. Spreading consciousness across one's whole body (helps triply if one has an expanded body or multiple bodies)
  • Phantom technology. Cloaking to the whole spectrum of light.
  • Dark light: A seeming impossibility, this is created from Bose-Einstein condensates and basically acts as the reverse of light. It "shines" dark.
  • Malmatia: Psychic warfare, fought by affecting the atomic and even quantum level of reality by affecting the nervous systems of another person.
  • Superwater: Superwater is the brand name of a superfluid, that is a perfectly viscous fluid that has perfect convection, perfect flow, and perfect conduction. Once it flows in a particular direction, it cannot be resisted. It will flow up walls, across ceilings, even through the air, utterly defying gravity. This is all a quantum effect.

There's even more to show later on.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationArgentina

I remember that when I was very young (seven years old) I imagined a tower that is capable of making electricity with the impact of thunders

PD: I didnt use translator this time

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Actually, now that I think about it, I created a thread exactly like this several years ago, about discussing ultrastrange future technologies. Perhaps I should merge this one with that one once I find it, because it had a few replies.

butcheriver

butcheriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I envision the future to be like this: Humans become smarter as ever. Flying cars everywhere, by which they won't be needing fuel anymore. Future humans have already discovered a way to develop H2O and create super water. Super water can now have the ability to power cars, as well as other machines.

As We Rise

As We Rise

I came back~!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

I envision the future to be like this: Humans become smarter as ever. Flying cars everywhere, by which they won't be needing fuel anymore. Future humans have already discovered a way to develop H2O and create super water. Super water can now have the ability to power cars, as well as other machines.

So how many emails do you have?

Let us all come together and help save the world, one tree at a time.

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationArgentina

So how many emails do you have?

RSY no?

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

A snippet from a Ted Chiang story:

"Reynolds says, quickly and quietly, five words. They are more pregnant with meaning than any stanza of poetry: each word provides a logical toehold I can mount after extracting everything implicit in the preceding ones. Together they encapsulate a revolutionary insight into sociology..."

Now imagine a language with this sort of complexity and structure, but sounding just like R2D2. Then you get the ai fasttongue, a language invented by the posthumans and high ais--AIs that have gone through a personal singularity--specifically for ultra-high density verbal communication. It's got something like six to twenty billion words (no human really knows) and that's just counting structures that are used in ways similar to the way words are used in human languages. Plenty of other utterances aren't. And the end result is that you can convey a (human-grade) textbook full of information in like thirty seconds.

But it takes post-Singularity beings a while to master it--about as long as it takes your average human to master a human language. Try to teach the ai fasttongue to unaugmented humans and the best you can do is get them to regurgitate a few primitive linguistic structures, and even then it's debatable if they know what they're saying or if they're just parroting (as with chimps "learning" sign language). With professional-grade civilian augmentation, baselines can get a rough, childlike grasp of the language. But it takes the full journey to posthuman to really grok it.

TLDR: Language that makes this text sound like a bunch of cavemen grunting at each other. Used by post-singularity beings for chatting. Because English and the like aren't complex enough to let them express their thoughts.

It's mentioned in the short story I'm working on, which I may post here or Reddit:

Certainly he could hold his own as long as the game stayed in the realm of human speech, where the high ai could not use the full might of his mind, the meta-awareness and processing power a equivalent to a thousand mortal humans. But of course, Diamond would escalate to the ai fasttongue, and then to memetics and nanohacking and rewiring his own mental circuits to negate Dmitri's moves.

And mind you, this story is set in the same universe as Fog and Mirrors, but over a thousand years earlier.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

"Mix transhumanism and magic, and you go down a fractal rabbit hole, recursively branching out through eldritch worlds and nested realities, only to come out in an ordinary top hat that is somehow floating in a sector of interstellar space never visited by humans." -- Mik Markov, to Cyenne Nichols, c. 2410

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

Just like "atomic" was plastered onto everything as a label in the mid 20th century, I wonder if in the mid 21st century everything will be labelled "quantum this" and "quantum that".

Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Oh trust me, it's already happening. Mostly in the area of woo.

Quantum mysticism

• Jakob likes this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

When I am a posthuman trillionaire, I will have a large, ornate fountain on my front lawn. It won't be any ordinary fountain, however. Instead, it will be a superfluid fountain made of liquid light.

Spoiler

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

In the future, the world could be absolutely saturated in tens of trillions of human like (and higher) intelligences, leading to a lack of appreciation towards intelligence. I'm trying to imagine what such abundance would look like.

In this world, information technology has gotten so advanced, complex and powerful and Artificial Intelligence has become so widespread that "human like intelligence" and "superintelligence" naturally emerge from sufficiently advanced digital systems, and reproduce exponentially. The sheer number of intelligent beings is staggering and the world advances at unimaginable speeds. But the huge amount of intelligent beings brings a lack of appreciation towards intelligences. Who cares about one in particular, when a million more are being created right now? When an intelligent being fulfils its purpose, whether that be solving an engineering problem, or helping two cognitively enhanced dolphins solve their marriage woes, it becomes too resource intensive and inefficient to reprogram (learn new things) the intelligence to complete other tasks, when millions of others are ready to do that at that very instant. Thus, the intelligence is terminated to conserve resources, or simple cast aside away from the network(internet), again in order to conserve resources.

The average life expectancy of an intelligent being drops to 30 minutes.

Also, what happens if society becomes bored of all this information gathering by these trillions of intelligences? What on Earth does a society bored with information do? Can a society even become disinterested in gathering information?

• Jakob likes this

Is minic an fhírinne searbh.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

I'm envisioning the use of artificial auroras to create colorful messages in the sky. Such messages would be many miles tall and could be anything from propaganda to movies. They will show up in a short story I'm working on.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/17748528

https://www.nasa.gov...clouds-in-space

• BasilBerylium likes this

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

Would there be any point in genetically engineering a race of humans that look like this: http://www.meetgraha....au/view-graham

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users