Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Free to Choose: The Power of the Market (Milton Friedman)

capitalism free market freedom liberty economy economics economic freedom self determination

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAustralia

There is a skilful and civil exchange in a debate after 34:56. Regardless of what your starting position is, I think you'll get something out of it. 

• Lunix688 likes this
Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

*Sighs*

I stopped at 37:53.

Government is less efficient at providing affordable health care than a market system?

Give me a break. 

Sure, some non-existent hypothetical health care system that relies exclusively on the market place might be "more efficient".   Then, only for the supper rich who can pay exorbitant costs for drugs and command such levels of wealth that insurance is unneeded, even when medical costs run in the thousands of dollars per day.

Otherwise, the single payer system of other countries provides far more cost effective health care than the botched up American "free market" system can ever hope to provide.  

If Milton Freidman (sp?) is such a champion of "free markets" as being socially desirable, then why did he and his fellow "Chicago school" of economists so gleefully cooperate and work with Pinochet in overthrowing Allende and the aftermath of that action.  I can assure you that the cost of health care to the Chilean people was way down on the list of reasons for such support of Pinochet.

If my objections are addressed before or after the segment to which I listened, please let me know with a time mark that you have so thoughtfully provided or alternatively with your own thoughts. 

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Discussion of the Negative Income Tax at 25:35. This episode is on the topic of welfare. 

• Lunix688 likes this
Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: capitalism, free market, freedom, liberty, economy, economics, economic freedom, self determination

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users