Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

The Russian Revolution

1917 1905 Russia Soviet Union CCCP USSR February October Bolsheviks Vladimir Lenin

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The second of four 20th century Russian Revolutions begins in a couple days. 

1917 pt. I
1917 pt. II
It's been 100 years...

Too bad there aren't more colorized pictures of the revolution.

Like this glorious one, how glorious.
3wg0zbosqday.png

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I'm looking for some firsthand primary newspaper accounts, particularly from Pravda, but my computer's not letting me into their archives. Help?

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • LocationRussia

I'm looking for some firsthand primary newspaper accounts, particularly from Pravda, but my computer's not letting me into their archives. Help?

i don't think anyone can help you :) Full archive located here, but you need (paid?) registration... or collect very few of them, one by one, from different sites.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

It begins!

[March 8th, 1917] Up to 100,000 gather in Saint Petersburg. The February Revolution begins. 

[March 8th, 1917] (N.S.) (February 23, O.S.) – The February Revolution begins in Russia: Women calling for bread in Petrograd start riots, which spontaneously spread throughout the city.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

[March 9th, 1917] Food problem at Petrograd becomes urgent.

[March 10, 1917] In Petrograd, municipal authorities are granted control of food supplies amid growing crisis

[March 10th, 1917] Russia: Martial law declared in Petrograd as general strike begins (until March 19). Petrograd Soviet elected.

[March 11, 1917] Riots spread across Petrograd as hungry citizens seek action

[March 11th, 1917] Petrograd: Government troops are ordered to open fire on the protesters. The troops obey and hundreds are killed. Petrograd soldiers revolt. Czar Nicholas II dissolves the Duma.

W8i30Cq.png

[March 11, 1917] No news received from Moscow, where the situation is believed worse than in Petrograd

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

[March 12, 1917] London Daily Telegraph correspondent predicts the czar's dissolution of the Duma 'has screwed down the safety valve' of public discourse in Russia

[March 12th, 1917] Tsarist régime overthrown in Petrograd; Committee of State Duma formed; Petrograd Soviet of Workers' Deputies formed.

[March 12th, 1917] Petrograd: The duma ignores Czar Nicholas II's decree ordering its suspension and sets up a provisional government.

[March 13th, 1917] The revolutionary masses seize the city of Moscow. The Tsar's Ministers are arrested. The Provisional Committee assumes control of the Army, while the Kronstadt sailors mutiny against their officers. The first issue of Izvestia is published; a newspaper of the Petrograd Soviet.

tdih-march08-HD_still_624x352.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

[March 14th, 1917] Petrograd Soviet issues Order No.1. First Provisional Government under Prince Lvov.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

March 15, 1917: The Ides of March

At the urging of the Provisional Government and his generals, Czar Nicholas II abdicates, ending 300 years of the Romanov Dynasty in Russia

20441r.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

[March 15th, 1917] Petrograd: Fresh troops sent into the city by the czar join the demonstrators. The entire Petrograd military garrison of 170,000 men has now gone over to the rebels. The conflict in the streets has so far caused thirteen hundred dead and wounded.

[March 15, 1917] REVOLUTION IN RUSSIA; CZAR ABDICATES

[March 15th, 1917] (N.S.) (March 2, O.S.) – Emperor Nicholas II of Russia abdicates his throne and his son's claims. This is considered to be the end of the Russian Empire after 196 years.

[March 15, 1917] Text of Czar Nicholas' abdication 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

[March 16th, 1917] Russia: Czar Nicholas II abdicates. The Executive Committee of the Petrograd Soviet orders the arrest of Nicholas II. Michael abdicates.
eWtRlKH.jpg

That's the one thing people have to remember about revolutions. It doesn't matter what kind of revolution, whether it's pro-communist, pro-capitalist, pro-fascist, pro-primitivist... Real revolutions very, very rarely last longer than a few weeks. And there's a good reason for that— the masses themselves can't sustain themselves for any longer than that.

By the time you've reached the point of revolution, circumstances are already in place so that there's a large chance of things like a military revolt or a mass defection of police forces, but it starts when the masses are fed up with their current state. 

It's the one thing I've learned the most from this article (as some may have read in the Mother Meki thread, if you've glanced over it recently)— revolutions can be based on a whole variety of reasons, and ideology is almost always a root cause. But if having a large number of people ideologically opposed to the regime was the reason revolutions happen, no government in power today would be stable enough to rule. 

Revolutions happen because of base needs not being met. Very, very, very extremely rarely is it for any other reason. This is even one reason why I charge that the American "Revolution" was actually a civil war, and the American Civil War was actually the Great War of America. The Revolution certainly had revolutionary elements, but it was really more of an insurgency (like the Cuban Revolution). 

Revolutions tend to begin over things like a lack of bread. That's almost always the trigger. People can't eat. The old saying is that civilized society is three square meals from anarchy, and that's not a lie. 

That's what happened here, in Russia, 100 years ago. Insurgencies are like slow burning fires that one can extinguish with enough force, because they take so long to achieve their goals. Their durations are measured in years or even decades. The American Revolution began in 1775 and ended in 1783; the Cuban Revolution began in 1953 and ended in 1959..

Revolutions are like explosions. If you're not already behind blast walls, you're going to be blown away. They rarely last longer than a month, and can sometimes even begin and end in a single week. France's order collapsed in a few weeks in the summer of 1789. Russia's revolution was over within a week. More recently, the Egyptian revolution occurred over the course of 18 days, and the Ukrainian Revolution began and ended in the span of about 5 days in February 2014. 

Revolutions can seemingly come out of nowhere, but if you're paying attention, you'll know when one is ripe to happen. We're not in a revolutionary stage right now in America, despite the extreme wealth inequality precisely because the underclass is still very well fed and comfortable. Similar situation in Russia; the central leadership is still too popular and no one's really suffering beyond infringement of rights. It's not the same situation in North Korea, per se, because they have not had a really prosperous society. They haven't tasted enough luxury to want more, so revolution doesn't bring any real benefits.

A place where something bad could happen soon? Venezuela. That's the J-curve in action. For example, Grecians still live in an advanced economy, despite their economic woes over the past decade. If things deteriorated to the level of Venezuela, there would be revolution very soon. I'm surprised there hasn't already been a popular revolt against Maduro, but perhaps I should hold my tongue...

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

[March 17th, 1917] Petrograd: Swayed by hostility to the monarchy in the capital, Grand Duke Michael renounces the crown. The Provisional Government announces both his renunciation and the czar's abdication. The Romanov dynasty, begun by Michael Romanov in 1613, comes to an end.

March 17th, 1917] The repercussions of the Russian Revolution still dominate the news (Daily Telegraph)

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

[March 18th, 1917] Russia: The first issue of Pravda is published, since being closed down as a result of its peaceful stance on the World War.

[March 19th, 1917] Russia: The Provisional Government declares a general amnesty for all political prisoners.

[March 19, 1917] The Russian Royal Family as published by Bain News Service, March 19, 1917.

[March 20th, 1917] Petrograd: Responding to pressure from the Petrograd Soviet, the Provisional Government places the czar and his family under house arrest at Tsarskoye Selo, intending to allow them to leave some time later for asylum in England.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It'll be interesting to see how the masses will revolt against a government administered by an AI.

I don't think the masses will be able to do it successfully - AI will be too clever to be outsmarted or outclassed -, so for material changes in governance to occur, the very AI that the masses revolted against will be elicited (by inherent design) to undergo internal changes to be more accommodating to their demands and needs as long as it's within reason (definition of what's reasonable will have to be debated). It's purely by design, programmed by the very people who created the AI in the first place.

Otherwise, there will be nothing but a genocide on a global scale.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Pisiu369

Pisiu369

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

It'll be interesting to see how the masses will revolt against a government administered by an AI.

I don't think the masses will be able to do it successfully - AI will be too clever to be outsmarted or outclassed -, so for material changes in governance to occur, the very AI that the masses revolted against will be elicited (by inherent design) to undergo internal changes to be more accommodating to their demands and needs as long as it's within reason (definition of what's reasonable will have to be debated). It's purely by design, programmed by the very people who created the AI in the first place.

Otherwise, there will be nothing but a genocide on a global scale.

How can the AI outsmart a protestor?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

If you have an AI as intelligent as a human, it will be able to dedicate more resources to behavioral prediction, essentially allowing them to predict what a person will do. 

Increase that by 100x if you have that AI parse through a person's history, both online and in the real world. 

This is why people fear AI being a fascist's wet dream and why I'd rather decentralized/blockchain AI governance. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

[March 21st, 1917] Petrograd: Ex-Czar and and Czarina are arrested.

[March 21st, 1917] The Petrograd Soviet creates the Contact Commission as an organ of communication with the Provisional Government. Meanwhile, the Provisional Government refuses to allow Finland the independence it demands.

[March 22nd, 1917] Russia: The USA is the first government in the world to formally recognize the new Provisional Government. Two days later, France, England, and Italy would follow suit, after receiving assurance the government would continue to wage war.

[March 22nd, 1917] Home Fronts: Nicholas II arrives at Tsarskoe Selo to be with his wife and children. Two days previously the Provisional Government decreed the arrest of the royal couple.

[March 23rd, 1917] Eastern Front: General V.J. Selivachev, commander of the Russian Seventh Army, writes in his diary: "I am firmly convinced that the common soldier today wants only one thing- food and peace, because he is tired of the war."

[March 25th, 1917] The Russian Provisional Government declares the grain trade a monopoly controlled by the government. All grain must be sold to government agents at prices named by the government.

[March 25th, 1917] Russia: Stalin arrives in Petrograd after being released from prison. Three days later, he is appointed to the editorial board of Pravda. Also on the 12th (25th), the Provisional government repeals the death penalty.

[March 27, 1917] Agitators are stirring up trouble for the new Russian government ─ New York Times

[March 27th, 1917] The Petrograd Soviet addresses "the people of the whole world" declaring an earnest desire for peace, an end to World War I, without annexations or indemnities.

[March 28, 1917] American immigration clerks are puzzled about loyalty oath for Russians that requires them to forswear allegiance to the czar ─ New York Times 

[March 28, 1917] Russian workers forbid strikes ordered by disgruntled munitions bosses upset at czar's overthrow ─ New York Times

[March 29, 1917] American businessmen hail the new Russia ─ New York Times

[March 30th, 1917] Russian Provisional Government Issue Proclamation acknowledging the Independence of Poland.

[March 31st, 1917] Stalin becomes a member of the Executive Committee of the Petrograd Soviet of Workers' and Soldiers' Deputies.

[April 1st, 1917] Petrograd: Czar's assets confiscated by new regime. 

[April 2nd, 1917] Russia: The Provisional Government abolishes all religious and ethnic restrictions formerly imposed by the Monarchy. Non-Russian languages are now allowed at private educational institutions and record keeping.

As We Rise

As We Rise

I actually left this time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

I don't know where else to put this, but: 

1044526785.png

• Yuli Ban likes this

Let us all come together and help save the world, one tree at a time.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 16,909 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Russian Telegraph

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,716 posts

Maybe Yuli, Phoenix, and I should buy stock in the Russian Telegraph.

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1917, 1905, Russia, Soviet Union, CCCP, USSR, February, October, Bolsheviks, Vladimir Lenin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users