Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

China Watch Thread

China Asia CCP Taiwan Hong Kong East Asia economy society politics military

• Please log in to reply
772 replies to this topic

Poll: PRC vs. USA (19 member(s) have cast votes)

When will China surpass the USA?

1. They already have (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2018-2024 (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. 2025-2029 (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

4. After 2030 (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

5. Never (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon

http://www.telegraph...hree-years.html

A7XP0R_1915440c.jpg

China to get new skyscraper every five days for three years

China will "top out" a new skyscraper every five days for the next three years as it continues to embark on the biggest building boom in history, according to newly published research.

By Peter Foster in Beijing

1:00PM BST 08 Jun 2011

The 2011 China Skyscraper City List shows the speed with which China is redrawing the skylines of its major cities as it builds houses and offices for the millions of people migrating from a rural to urban lifestyle over the coming decades.

Compiled by "Motian City", a Chinese website for skyscraper enthusiasts, the list finds that China and Taiwan currently boast five of the world top 10 tallest buildings in Taipei (No. 2), Shanghai (No. 3), Hong Kong (No. 4), Nanjing (No. 7) and Guangzhou (No. 9).

There are no plans to beat the world's tallest building – the 2,716ft-tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai – but by 2015 China will have claimed the No.2 and No.3 spots with its Shanghai Tower, at 2,073ft, and the 1,988ft Greenland Center in Wuhan, the capital of the central Hubei province.

The blistering pace of construction is seen around the world as a sign of how the economic centre of gravity has shifted east, with China boasting nearly half of the 50 skyscrapers due for completion worldwide in the next six years.

Currently China has more than 200 skyscrapers – defined as a building over 500ft/152m tall - under construction, which is equivalent to the total number of skyscrapers in the US. In five years time, China will have 800 skyscrapers, the compilers of the year-long research found.

If China's economic development continues on its current trajectory, it could build a new Chicago every year until 2030 more than 1,500 new buildings that are over 30 stories high according to a report, 'China's cities in the Sky', released in January by the consultants McKinsey & Co.

However, the Motian research also warned of the growing danger of white elephant projects, as local Chinese governments build towers as vanity projects in a bid to establish themselves as international-standard cities.

The research also found that a far higher proportion of Chinese skyscrapers are owned by property developers compared with the US, where two-thirds of the top 50 skyscrapers are owned by companies from industries such as finance, petrochemicals, cars, ports and airlines.

The list warned of the dangers of over-investment in China's property markets, citing several cities - Haikou, Kunming, Nanning and Dongguan - that were planning to build skyscrapers without sufficient underlying demand.

Among the most egregious examples, according to the list, was the port city of Fangcheng Gang in the southern province of Guangxi which is planning to build a 1,732ft Asia International Financial Centre (IFC) - taller than Shanghai's own IFC - despite having a population of less than 1 million.

A growing number of analysts warn that China's building boom has been fuelled by too much easy credit for China's ambition provincial governments, with loans secured on land valuations that, in the event of a crash, may yet turn out to be wildly over-optimistic.

The correlation between manic skyscraper building booms and economic crashes – most recently seen in Dubai during the financial crisis – was popularised in 1999 with the release of the "Skyscraper Index" by the Hong Kong-based property analyst Andrew Lawrence "Is China building its way to a bubble? It may have started with the Tower of Babel, but over the past 140 years, there appears to be an unhealthy correlation between building the world's next tallest building and an impending financial crisis," Mr Lawrence, of Barclays Captial, wrote in a report in January.

"New York 1930, Chicago 1974, Kuala Lumpur 1997 and Dubai 2010. The world's tallest structures rarely stand alone, with skyscraper building booms coinciding with economic corrections," he said.

Where to find tall towers in China: the 2011 China Skyscraper List by location

1. Hong Kong 58

2. Shanghai 51

3. Shenzhen 46

4. Guangzhou 44

5. Nanjing 23

6. Chongqing 18

7. Tianjin 15

8. Wuhan 13

9. Beijing 13

10. Dalian 11

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Are these buildings ever going to be used? Aren’t there entire ghost cities which have been plonked down all over China now which none of its citizens can afford to live in?
~Jon

Azureous

Azureous

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
now if only we could get that kind of progress in other developing nations!

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

now if only we could get that kind of progress in other developing nations!

Is it necessary though? Historically cities have naturally formed around areas of trade, industry and commerce, where the population demands have made expansion of domestic and office space necessary. Sure, I know in many countries there are probably empty office buildings and apartment blocks sitting in cities but what’s going on in places like China and Dubai right now takes it to the extreme, throwing up tower after tower speculatively with no guarantee of ever being occupied. It wreaks of vanity, more than anything, considering the average citizen of those countries is never going to be get a sniff at living in them. I am not trying to diminish the initiative, China especially has dragged tens of millions of people out of poverty, but they appear to be setting themselves up for a fall in the manner that their explosive entrance into the 21st century is developing...
  • Chronomaster likes this
~Jon

Azureous

Azureous

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
haha well i don't mean skyscrappers, just people interested in building stuff there.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
Up until 20 years ago pretty much everyone in China lived in housing like this...

Posted Image

The rate at which these old hutongs have been demolished is equally as astounding as the creation of these 'cloud cities'.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

More than two million people are now reported to have been affected by deadly floods in eastern China.

Posted Image

From BBC

I don't beilieve now that China is now been affected with flooding it'll go to every county soon, What do members think and should this go into the timeline.
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts

China launched its ninth navigation satellite on Wednesday, the official Xinhua news agency reported, citing sources at the launch centre.

From http://www.spacedail...Xinhua_999.html

Never knew China could launch Navigation satellites, What do members think?

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts

China's naval forces are stepping up their activities in the East and South China Seas, and the Pacific, Japan has warned in its annual defence report.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-14368665

That's what we need now "China plans to expand its sphere of maritime activities, carrying out operations and training as an ordinary routine practice in waters surrounding Japan."

H. G. Wells

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon
World's biggest airport planned

Beijing set to beat London and Atlanta as world's busiest aviation hub with a new airport the size of Bermuda

By CNNGo staff 13 September, 2011

Read more -- http://www.cnngo.com...259?hpt=hp_bn10

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts
Wow thats a big airport for a lot of people.

H. G. Wells

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
http://www.cnngo.com...ve-years-612576 Are they just building to prop up growth, or are they realistically going to become a developed nation in the future?

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
I'd like to see the airport chart for that... 9 runways?? I wonder how many they'll be using simultaneously... Dallas is the airport with the most runways (that I know of), and that has 7. Atlanta has 5. Detroit (where I operate out of) has 6. New York's JFK only has 4 (and that's a relentless quagmire). Dallas and Atlanta both sometimes use 5 of theirs simultaneously, and those two are pretty damn chaotic to fly in and out of. Nine sounds like it'd be a mess. If I were a betting man, I'd put money that a runway incursion (where two aircraft are on the same runway on a collision course) will occur there on average once a week that first year.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

alonzo-ny

alonzo-ny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I doubt it would be busier than any European or American airport for some years. If you look at any of those videos that show air travel over 24 hours you can see that a vast majority of flights are in Europe or the US. I think air travel would need to grow by quite a bit in china for it to compete.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts

China is due to launch its first space laboratory, Tiangong-1.

Posted Image

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-15078569

Now it's China's turn to go into space.
  • wjfox likes this

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts

A rocket carrying China's first space laboratory, Tiangong-1, has launched from the north of the country.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-15112760

H. G. Wells

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
I dunno. Something doesn't sit quite right with me and China's space programme. Feels like all they've done is bought a bunch of stuff off the Russians. Are they innovating, designing their own new technologies or just treading the footsteps past? If I'm misinformed, fair enough... but would be more impressed if they were developing their own space program and technologies, rather than buying one.
~Jon

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts
Even though they bought they're stuff from the Russians only time will tell if they're Space programme is good or not?

H. G. Wells

Wigan96

Wigan96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUK,Manchester

I dunno. Something doesn't sit quite right with me and China's space programme. Feels like all they've done is bought a bunch of stuff off the Russians. Are they innovating, designing their own new technologies or just treading the footsteps past? If I'm misinformed, fair enough... but would be more impressed if they were developing their own space program and technologies, rather than buying one.

I think its ok to buy things from other country's but i think they should edit the technology see if they can make it abit better. add things to it to make it there own,obviously that would cost alot of money but the thing is the government is already spending alot of money anyways and wasting it all on wars just for fossile fuels ,it really does my head in that we just create wars, we can just work together to achieve big things like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: China, Asia, CCP, Taiwan, Hong Kong, East Asia, economy, society, politics, military

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users