Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

China Watch Thread

China Asia CCP Taiwan Hong Kong East Asia economy society politics military

• Please log in to reply
772 replies to this topic

Poll: PRC vs. USA (19 member(s) have cast votes)

When will China surpass the USA?

1. They already have (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2018-2024 (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. 2025-2029 (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

4. After 2030 (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

5. Never (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
China's space program is going to be interesting to watch. They're in a position where money doesn't appear to be an object, but they don't have nearly as much experience as Russia or the US. They seem to be trying a huge range of things. In two decades they'll have put a man in space by themselves, launched a rover, several satellites, a moon sample return mission, and a space station. It's like they're mad they missed the Space Race so they're trying to fit their own in. In about one third the time.
  • Wigan96 likes this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
For the past decade, Chinese officials have urged media and entertainment companies to be more competitive, but also chastised some subsequent attempts when they have diverged from the ruling Communist Party line. In the case of television production, the government is battling the growth of shows inspired by Western successes — content the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television has at times blasted as "low taste" and "vulgar."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...lash-shows.html

Talk about hypocrisy.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon
Thread moved. Could you please post news and current events in the news forum, rather than future politics/culture? Thanks.
  • Zeitgeist123 likes this

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
How is this not future politics tho?
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon
It's a current event.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
Voters in Taiwan have been going to the polls to elect a new president, in a contest that will shape the island's key relationship with China.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-16557209

Hopefully they can improve their island by getting the population jobs etc and improve relations with China.
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon
U.S. Commuter Trains Vs China Commuter Trains

China’s Ministry of Railways is going to spend $300 billion on transportation systems through 2020. The U.S. committed about $8 billion in similar projects. Meanwhile, Amtrak’s high speed Acela train loses power while “racing” through Connecticut from New York City to Boston because the tracks are not upgraded to take the train to its full 150mph potential.

Posted Image
This is how Chinese people get to work in big cities.
It's also how they commute between two major urban
centers like Shanghai and Beijing.

Posted Image
These are the trains the average person takes from
Boston to Providence, or from Boston to New York
every day. The conductor often has to use his bare feet
like Fred Flintstone to get the train going...

Posted Image
Beijing subway, Olympic Line.

Posted Image
New York's No. 7 pulling into glamorous 42nd Street.
What century is this?

Read more - http://www.forbes.co...ommuter-trains/

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday
I agree with you wjfox,this situation is a shame and ridiculous,the trains of United states should be more high-tech than those of china's.After all,they are much more developed...

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon
Croatian Railways, USA eat your heart out :D

Posted Image :D

Edited by mic of orion, 24 February 2012 - 06:10 PM.

It's dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

Croatian Railways, USA eat your heart out :D

Posted Image :D

Brazil should have a train like this,but its trains systems are in precarie conditions and most of the population travel by bus or airplanes.

shane_allen

shane_allen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationMinnesotta
We're extending the light rail here in the Twin Cities, Minneapolis.
It'll run right in the middle of it all. From downtown Minneapolis, across the university and into the dark abyss-ah... I mean St. Paul!
I'm very excited about the project, even though it'll be completed after I finish school, so I probably won't use it as much as I would if it was done by now.

There's some talk about even building it south west too, but we'll see if that pans out.

Edited by shane_allen, 25 February 2012 - 01:30 AM.

Check out /r/futuretimeline and voice you opinion on when various technologies will emerge.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon
US, EU and Japan challenge China on rare earths at WTO

The US, Japan and the European Union have filed a case against China at the World Trade Organization, challenging its restrictions on rare earth exports.

US President Barack Obama announced the filing at the White House, accusing China of breaking agreed WTO rules.

Beijing has set quotas for exports of rare earths, which are critical to the manufacture of high-tech products from hybrid cars, to flat-screen TVs.

It is the first WTO case to be filed jointly by the US, EU and Japan.

They argue that by limiting exports, China, which produces more than 95% of the world's rare earth metals, has pushed up prices.

Read more - http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-17348648

Posted Image

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Sometimes it sucks to have something others want...
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

robocopp

robocopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
fantastico !

Wigan96

Wigan96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUK,Manchester

China's space program is going to be interesting to watch. They're in a position where money doesn't appear to be an object, but they don't have nearly as much experience as Russia or the US. They seem to be trying a huge range of things. In two decades they'll have put a man in space by themselves, launched a rover, several satellites, a moon sample return mission, and a space station. It's like they're mad they missed the Space Race so they're trying to fit their own in. In about one third the time.

Well maybe China wants to learn and research things,I hope they do like send a man into space an stuff like that.Maybe one day they would be the first ones to travel OUT side of our solar system,I bet it's possible!

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationChina
There ambitious but at the moment years behind. The space stations will be something like the russian MIR. They also have it easier, because they can use modern computers and programs. I would say there are around the same level private companys in the US are now. However, they have a very low failure rate in rocket launches and there are some oversea-chinese experts from the US in their team. With the end of the ISS program around 2020 they could have the only space station in space for a while. And they thinking about a moon colony around 2030.

Edited by tornado64, 12 May 2012 - 08:10 PM.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
Why reinvent the wheel? If someone has technology you buy it, then use and move on. Reinventing stuff that was already created doesn't really make that much sense. That is why we have things like schools. You don't try to figure out everything by yourself, people teach it to you. If other countries are offering to help you out, or sell you stuff I say go for it.

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationChina
China is relatively isolated with their space program, the US don't want to cooperate with them, this excludes them from the ISS. They cooperate with Germany and Russia the most at the moment, but they have to figure out a lot by themselves.

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Its true the metro lines in China make even Australia (my home) look like a welfare case. Whats worse people, the shortsighted simpletons in government want to even tear down the last vestige of modernity in my hometown of Sydney. The Sydney monorail is set to be decommissioned by June 30 2013. A crying shame.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

I agree with you wjfox,this situation is a shame and ridiculous,the trains of United states should be more high-tech than those of china's.After all,they are much more developed...

The population of the US is just to spread out. We have some states that are larger than entire countries. Now if we took everyone in California and put them inside New York, I bet we would have a great rail line there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: China, Asia, CCP, Taiwan, Hong Kong, East Asia, economy, society, politics, military

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users