Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

China Watch Thread

China Asia CCP Taiwan Hong Kong East Asia economy society politics military

• Please log in to reply
772 replies to this topic

Poll: PRC vs. USA (19 member(s) have cast votes)

When will China surpass the USA?

1. They already have (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2018-2024 (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. 2025-2029 (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

4. After 2030 (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

5. Never (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.
Chinese President Hu Jintao warns starkly on corruption as he opens a Communist Party congress that will see a once-in-a-decade power transfer.

Video is here: - http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-20233101

Time for China's Communist Party to change people by the looks of it.

Edited by Time_Traveller, 08 November 2012 - 08:33 AM.

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,765 posts
I hope the new generation is even more pro-science!

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada
http://www.businessi...take-us-2012-11 Also as far as developed nations go: http://www.thestar.c...t-50-years-oecd So... yeah...

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,765 posts
They're doing something right with building their own country and investing in technology. Something America should think about.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,970 posts
  • LocationLondon

http://www.businessi...take-us-2012-11

This report assumes that "growth" will still be happening in 2060 (clearly impossible on a finite planet which is already stretched to the limit), and that climate change won't cause irreparable economic damage reaching into the multi-$trillions (inevitable, given our current path).
  • eacao likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,765 posts

This report assumes that "growth" will still be happening in 2060 (clearly impossible on a finite planet which is already stretched to the limit), and that climate change won't cause irreparable economic damage reaching into the multi-$trillions (inevitable, given our current path).

Only finite as long as we stay on it. By 2060 we could be moving outwards into the solar system.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Very true, but I'm not the one making the prediction. However, I also agree with the above poster, that perhaps, considering that Lunar Politics and Exploration and Development begin picking up within the next 20 years that it's possible this new industry could help increase our growth potential. :) Our world just gets more and more interesting. :)

msanta89

msanta89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan
That is also assuming that China does not run into any major problems in the next decade or two. We only have to look at the U.S economy to realize that no matter how big an economy a country has it will eventually run into problems. There is no realistic way that China will continue to grow at a rate that high for 50 years.
  • Italian Ufo likes this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
Also China will never be an economic model for the world

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US
1 billion people wanting to live like a developed nation so soon? Let the disco of stagnation begin!

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,765 posts
I could see China become a 35-40 trillion dollar economy within the next 20 years.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
People should be aware of the problems with 50 years of nonstop growth. It doesn't happen, it is just a fantasy people have in their minds, and leads to all the problems we are facing today.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

People should be aware of the problems with 50 years of nonstop growth. It doesn't happen, it is just a fantasy people have in their minds, and leads to all the problems we are facing today.

All hell will break lose on this planet if growth stops!

Cody930

Cody930

• Moderators
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US
Hu Jintao to be taken over by Xi Jingping http://www.reuters.c...E8AD1GF20121115
  • Yuli Ban likes this

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,765 posts
I hope Xi Jingping is a huge science and space fan!

LowLevelFunctionary

LowLevelFunctionary

The Classical Liberal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hello long-term stagnation!

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,765 posts

Hello long-term stagnation!

I hope not...I'd like to see a lot more space focus.

Cody930

Cody930

• Moderators
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Some interesting developments. Finally catching attention at least. Unfortunately references of the letter are being censored in China itself of course. Thoughts?

China academics warn of "violent revolution" if no political reform

http://www.reuters.c...E8BU01W20121231

A prominent group of Chinese academics has warned in a bold open letter that the country risks "violent revolution" if the government does not respond to public pressure and allow long-stalled political reforms.

The 73 scholars, including well-known current and retired legal experts at top universities and lawyers, said political reform had not matched the quick pace of economic expansion.

"If reforms to the system urgently needed by Chinese society keep being frustrated and stagnate without progress, then official corruption and dissatisfaction in society will boil up to a crisis point and China will once again miss the opportunity for peaceful reform, and slip into the turbulence and chaos of violent revolution," they wrote.

• Zeitgeist123 likes this

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Partially plays into why I think China may be more likely to go to war with Japan to distract from the issue of corruption. Nothing like nationalism to crush a violent overthrow of communism!

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

the chinese scholars are right. they need progressive political reforms fast and i can definitely see that coming...with middle class increasing in numbers and becoming powerful plus enough access to the internet for western thoughts and ideas (i heard its quite easy to hack your way out of the chinese firewall), it is inevitable. even if the govt does not like it, this would be a good thing for china and for the world.

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 31 December 2012 - 10:57 AM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: China, Asia, CCP, Taiwan, Hong Kong, East Asia, economy, society, politics, military

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users