Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

China Watch Thread

China Asia CCP Taiwan Hong Kong East Asia economy society politics military

• Please log in to reply
769 replies to this topic

Poll: PRC vs. USA (19 member(s) have cast votes)

When will China surpass the USA?

1. They already have (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2018-2024 (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. 2025-2029 (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

4. After 2030 (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

5. Never (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Big Brother, Meet Citizen Score: China to Cull Online Data to Create Individual Rating System

https://nonprofitqua...-rating-system/

Introduction:

China’s State Council plans to launch a new system for rating its citizens’ “trustworthiness” in 2020. The Chinese government first released its plan for a national “trust score” system on June 14, 2014, in a document titled, “Planning Outline for the Construction of a Social Credit System.” (NPQ first wrote about it last year.) The policy states, “It will forge a public opinion environment where keeping trust is glorious. It will strengthen sincerity in government affairs, commercial sincerity, social sincerity and the construction of judicial credibility.”

The Chinese government says it needs to do something to increase trust. China doesn’t have a credit score system, so the majority of its citizens cannot get credit. Further, micro-corruption is rampant: “According to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), 63 per cent of all fake goods, from watches to handbags to baby food, originate from China.” In February 2017, China’s Supreme Court revealed that it banned 6.15 million citizens from taking flights over the previous four years and 1.65 million from taking trains for “social misdeeds.”

But critics call it “gamified obedience.” According to Rachel Botsman, who excerpted an article for Wired UK from her book, Who Can You Trust? How Technology Brought Us Together and Why It Might Drive Us Apart, this system would monitor and evaluate your daily activities—“what you buy at the shops and online; where you are at any given time; who your friends are and how you interact with them; how many hours you spend watching content or playing video games; and what bills and taxes you pay (or not)”—to create a Citizen Score. Ratings will be compared against the whole population to determine eligibility for social goods. Further, a person’s score is affected by the scores of their online friends; in other words, “if someone they are connected to online posts a negative comment [online], their own score will also be dragged down.”

Participation is currently voluntary but will become mandatory in 2020. Millions of people have already signed up, ostensibly for the perks of a high score. In fact, “higher scores have already become a status symbol.” For example, according to Sesame Credit, one of the two companies conducting social credit pilots…

big-brother.jpg

Big Brother Is Watching You

Obey Giant Los Angeles Street Art

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

Trump warns China it could face big problem with warrior nation Japan over North Korea

U.S. leader Donald Trump warned China on Thursday, a day before departing on his first Asia tour as president, that it must do more to rein in North Korea’s nuclear ambitions or face “a big problem” with “warrior nation” Japan.

“Japan is a warrior nation, and I tell China and I tell everyone else that listens, I mean, you’re gonna have yourself a big problem with Japan pretty soon if you allow this to continue with North Korea,” Trump said in an interview on the Fox News program “The Ingraham Angle.”

It was unclear what the U.S. leader was referring to, in terms of a “big problem,” but Trump had suggested during his successful campaign for president that he would be open to Japan acquiring its own nuclear weapons.

China has looked warily at recent moves to loosen postwar constraints imposed on Japan’s military and has long been suspicious of Tokyo’s large plutonium stockpile.

Trump is scheduled to visit Japan from Sunday, when he will meet with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who has joined the U.S. president in his “maximum pressure” approach to nuclear-armed North Korea.

He will also visit China from Wednesday to Thursday and meet President Xi Jinping.

https://www.japantim...a/#.Wf1V4baZMh8

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

China is expected to overfulfill its goals of cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 2020, which will lay a foundation for achieving its 2030 goals

China is expected to overfulfill its goals of cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 2020, which will lay a foundation for achieving its 2030 goals, said an official at a press release of China’s State Council Information Office on Oct. 31, Science and Technology Daily reported.
China’s carbon emission intensity during the 12th Five-Year Plan period (2011-2015) has decreased by 21.8 percent. And its carbon dioxide emissions per unit of GDP is set to be reduced by 18 percent by 2020 from 2015, according to China’s reducing greenhouse-gas emissions program during the 13th Five-Year Plan period (2016-2020).
“China’s carbon intensity dropped by 6.6 percent last year, and another 4 percent in the first three quarters of 2017, which indicates that China is expected to overfulfill its goals of the 13th Five-Year Plan period regarding cutting carbon intensity,” said Li Gao, an official from the climate change department of the National Development and Reform Commission.

• Erowind likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationArgentina

You haven't posted this before?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,628 posts

China is leading the world! America can't lead anymore so someone has to do it.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,070 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

You haven't posted this before?

Kinda can't see how it's possible since the article was published on November 3rd. Maybe I published another article that covered the same topic?

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Kinda can't see how it's possible since the article was published on November 3rd. Maybe I published another article that covered the same topic?

Oh, maybe the "New content" tab does not work as it should.

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts
https://www.technolo...omputing-power/

China has surpassed the United States in supercomputing power
  • Yuli Ban likes this

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,437 posts
https://www.axios.co...2511630146.html

China to lay off 1.8 million coal & steel workers

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,437 posts
The state of artificial intelligence in China

https://youtu.be/KtVOdFDYk3I

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: China, Asia, CCP, Taiwan, Hong Kong, East Asia, economy, society, politics, military

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users